• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UPGRADESTATION!(PS3 now supports dts-HD master audio)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Actually, it says it's the same. I don't have a slimmy, I have a fatty PS2. Has anybody done measurements of the PSTwo with an SPL meter at various distances?

I done ear test. And you can't even hear the sucker on when it's running.

Mmmkay

mr_nothin said:
I dont see DTS-HD Master Audio
I see DTS Master Audio
Actually you don't see 'DTS Master Audio' because that is not what is said below the dts logo. But anyway, it's the insignia next to the dts logo which implies Master Audio. Master Audio is DTS's term for lossless compression, and for Blu-ray that only comes as part of the DTS-HD specification.

Chiggs

Gold Member
BlueTsunami said:
According to Sega (and 1up I believe) the final devkits met the claim

I was skeptical until I read about the Transmeta thing.

Seriously, I bet a lot of people here are expecting a ton of defective PS3's, but what if Sony actually designed a really stable, cool and quiet system that had a really small number of defective units?

The Bentley of gaming consoles is less than three months away. :D

mr_nothin

Banned
Mmmkay said:
Actually you don't see 'DTS Master Audio' because that is not what is said below the dts logo. But anyway, it's the insignia next to the dts logo which implies Master Audio. Master Audio is DTS's term for lossless compression, and for Blu-ray that only comes as part of the DTS-HD specification.
Thx Mmmkay...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Chiggs said:

Seriously, I bet a lot of people here are expecting a ton of defective PS3's, but what if Sony actually designed a really stable, cool and quiet system that had a really small number of defective units?

:p

Even with this being the case, i'll still be getting an Extended Warranty no matter what :D

Surreal

Chiggs said:

It would be impossible to tell if that happens, because there will be defective units and once that happens the internet will be plastered with "PS3 unreliable" "I'm on my 16th PS3!". Really, the first place someone goes if their console breaks is the internet. To alert the internets. Someone post that pic.

edit; I'm getting the warrenty too. I don't gamble with PS3s.

mr_nothin said:
I dont see DTS-HD Master Audio
I see DTS Master Audio

DTS-HD Master Audio has also been known as DTS-HD and DTS++

It's anyone's guess as to what it will eventually end up being called or why the 'HD' part is missing but it is definitely not a standard DTS logo and it shares the circlular rings which currently is only carried by the DTS-HD Master Audio logo.

Also Blu-Ray spec allows for DTS-HD so it seems to be the logical conclusion that it is that indeed.

Mrbob

Bad_Boy said:
Does anybody know if the ps3 will decode Dolby TrueHD?
It hasnt been confirmed AFAIK.

I don't think the Blu Ray spec supports it at the moment. Hopefully it does eventually, because HD DVD is supporting it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Mrbob said:
I don't think the Blu Ray spec supports it at the moment. Hopefully it does eventually, because HD DVD is supporting it.
So you think it wouldnt be impossible for the final ps3 specs to have that ability?

Mmmkay

Bad_Boy said:
Does anybody know if the ps3 will decode Dolby TrueHD?
It hasnt been confirmed AFAIK.
Well there's a big fat [tiny] logo on the side of the thing which says it decodes Dolby TrueHD, so I think that might be a clue. ;)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Mmmkay said:
Well there's a big fat [tiny] logo on the side of the thing which says it decodes Dolby TrueHD, so I think that might be a clue. ;)
It suports TrueHD, but does It decode it? Thats the question.
If it decodes it, you won't need a Dolby TrueHD hdmi 1.3 receiver to get actual trueHD sound.

Bad_Boy said:
If it decodes it, you won't need a Dolby TrueHD hdmi 1.3 receiver to get actual trueHD sound.

It should definitely decode DD and DTS.

If it decodes TrueHD and DTS-HD (like the Toshiba HD-DVD player) then woot :D

Mmmkay

Bad_Boy said:
Um, I don't understand what you're asking. There aren't any analog 5.1 outputs on the PS3 so the only way you're going to get native 5.1 TrueHD is with a digital passthrough over HDMI 1.3. Just because the PS3 can decode TrueHD doesn't change that limitation. Being able to decode TrueHD means that it can be re-encoded (and mixed with other audio streams) to a format that can be passed over S/PDIF or earlier versions of HDMI.

At least, that's how I understand it anyway.

Nvidia

Banned
Mmmkay said:
Um, I don't understand what you're asking. There aren't any analog 5.1 outputs on the PS3 so the only way you're going to get native 5.1 TrueHD is with a digital passthrough over HDMI 1.3. Just because the PS3 can decode TrueHD doesn't change that limitation. Being able to decode TrueHD means that it can be re-encoded (and mixed with other audio streams) to a format that can be passed over S/PDIF or earlier versions of HDMI.

hey Mmmkay I have a Hdtv with DVI hook up and no hdmi. If I get a Monster Cable HDMI to DVI Cable (HDMI400/DVI-2M) could I use this to hook up ps3 hdmi to my tv?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/prod...broadvision.session.new=Yes&BV_UseBVCookie=No

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
monkeymagic said:
It should definitely decode DD and DTS.
The question is does it though? saying it should and saying it is, is a very thin line. ;)

Mmmkay said:

well from my understanding, if the ps3 does not decode TrueHD but only supports it, you will need a receiver that supports HDMI1.3 which supports TrueHD so it can decode the sound. Which might cost you a pretty penny seeing they are rare.

If it does indeed decode TrueHD, then all you will need is your standard receiver (with minimum HDMI 1.1 port IIRC). Which are much cheaper. And most of us won't even need to upgrade if we already have them.

Supporting it is one thing, Decoding is another thing.

But somebody feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Mmmkay

squicken said:
Reading those threads, I wonder how they are going to output the TrueHD DD 5.1 from the 360, as that amirm said? Curious as to what exactly will be coming alongside that HD-DVD add-on.
He didn't say it would output TrueHD 5.1, he said it would decode it. As I explained, that is advantageous if you're doing any kind of Picture in Picture iHD trickery because that requires multiple audio streams to be mixed together in the 360. Doing this in TrueHD 5.1 > DD5.1. Also, it's pretty clear that there's going to be a 360 hardware revision which includes a HDMI port (maybe we'll even see analog 5.1), so that support needs to be there from day 1.

Nvidia said:
hey Mmmkay I have a Hdtv with DVI hook up and no hdmi. If I get a Monster Cable HDMI to DVI Cable (HDMI400/DVI-2M) could I use this to hook up ps3 hdmi to my tv?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/prod...broadvision.session.new=Yes&BV_UseBVCookie=No

That shouldn't be a problem since HDMI is DVI plus additional connection for audio. However, that means it will only work for Video only. Audio you still need a receiver with HDMI input. But I know nothing about the new HDMI 1.3 standard.

Mmmkay

Bad_Boy said:
If it does indeed decode TrueHD, then all you will need is your standard receiver (with minimum HDMI 1.1 port IIRC). Which are much cheaper. And most of us won't even need to upgrade if we already have them.

Supporting it is one thing, Decoding is another thing.

But somebody feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong.
Right, sorry I was getting S/PDIF's limitations mixed up with HDMI's. Yeah, HDMI 1.1 will carry up to 8 channels of uncompressed LPCM audio, of which 6 would be what the PS3 wants to send over HDMI if it can decode TrueHD. That then depends on your receivers ability to handle more than 2 channels of LPCM, and at what resolution.

I've not read into it too much but I imagine that in order to sport the logo, a player has to decode at least 2 channel TrueHD.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Yeah I would hope that it can, I see no reason why It wouldnt be possible. Hopefully we can get some confirmation one day.

Should I be worried about my HDMI connection on my LCD?

It's just a basic HDMI connection from what I can tell ... if the PS3 is HDMI 1.1 or 1.3 or whatever the heck it is ... will it work with an older HDMI connection?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Bad_Boy said:

This is a good question. The title of the thread says supports, not decodes though. Guess wait for more specs. Wouldn't a decoder cost a good chuck of skrilla to include?

Kintaro said:
This is a good question. The title of the thread says supports, not decodes though. Guess wait for more specs. Wouldn't a decoder cost a good chuck of skrilla to include?

Er...why would it need to decode? A receiver is typically supposed to handle that since it has a direct interface to your speaker setup. Now encoding, on the other hand, is likely doable in software, though dunno on the performance hit?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Crazymoogle said:
Er...why would it need to decode? A receiver is typically supposed to handle that since it has a direct interface to your speaker setup. Now encoding, on the other hand, is likely doable in software, though dunno on the performance hit?

Well, I doubt it DOES decode, but it was a good question. <shrugs> Receivers that decode these formats are probably pretty pricey too. Well, not like I'm in any hurry to upgrade though. :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Crazymoogle said:
yeah, you will have no problems if you have a receiver with trueHD 1.3 hdmi that decodes the audio for you. But you can skip all of that if the ps3 can decode the audio, and most of us wont have to upgrade receivers. otherwise you wont be getting the actual TrueHD sound.

on the other hand, I think the ps3 decodes dts-hd which also is an impressive new format.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So wait a minute. The PS3 can decode these new Audio formats and shoot them out to a receiver thus eliminating the need for a receiver that can decode dts-HD and the other HD audio formats?

Bad_Boy said:
Yeah you should be fine on the video. Does your LCD have attached speakers?

You mean do I have a seperate home theater setup? Because pretty much any LCD/plasma comes with some type of built-in speakers from what I've seen.

Raistlin

BlueTsunami said:
So wait a minute. The PS3 can decode these new Audio formats and shoot them out to a receiver thus eliminating the need for a receiver that can decode dts-HD and the other HD audio formats?

That, we don't know yet. It is unclear whether it will simply pass an undecoded bit-stream via HDMI (1.3 spec allows for this), or actually do the decoding to PCM (HDMI 1.1 spec allows for this).

What I wouldn't be surprised is if it simply passes a bit-stream at first (to make BluRay's with full decoding more attractive) ... and then they do a firmware upgrade for decoding later.

As it is simpy a SW-based BluRay player ... this wouldn't be hard to do. I can see them doing the above as a concession to other manufacturers.

dyls

I'm not sure how much we'll actually see this used. As far as I understand, that would mean that the general public would basically getting the audio "master" from the record labels and the movie and TV studios, something they are loathe to give up. Especially considering the high probability of the PS3's security getting cracked within months of release.

And seeing as how game studios barely got a good hold on DD 5.1 this gen, I doubt they'll get anywhere near "master" quality.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
BlueTsunami said:
no confirmations yet, so we don't know.
soundwave05 said:
You mean do I have a seperate home theater setup? Because pretty much any LCD/plasma comes with some type of built-in speakers from what I've seen.
oh im sorry mybad, I thought you were referring to a lcd computer monitor. Yeah you should be just fine. hdmi 1.3 will work with older hdmi tv's. there would be a lot of problems if people couldnt get their hdmi running, cause im sure there are A LOT of tv's without hdmi 1.3 yet.

antipode

dyls said:
I'm not sure how much we'll actually see this used. As far as I understand, that would mean that the general public would basically getting the audio "master" from the record labels and the movie and TV studios, something they are loathe to give up. Especially considering the high probability of the PS3's security getting cracked within months of release.

DVD-Audio and DualDisc are already losslessly encoded at high sample and bitrates, and those got a bunch of releases. I think it's only a matter of time before iTMS goes that route too.

Raistlin

dyls said:

Technically, it's not the master - it's a compressed version of it in a proprietary format. With this in mind, even if you somehow got the stream – what would you do with it? What decoders exist that do not use HDCP?

As to whether the PS3 gets ‘cracked’, that has nothing to do with DTS Master audio. It is not more likely the PS3 would be vulnerable to hacking than any other player … as the security system employed is HDCP.

And seeing as how game studios barely got a good hold on DD 5.1 this gen, I doubt they'll get anywhere near "master" quality.

1) I’m not sure anyone ever implied games would use this in real-time … it’s for movies.

2) ‘master’ quality isn’t really some magical thing. A player with the proper decoder will turn this into a PCM stream to pass via HDMI 1.1. This transcoding is known to have no degradation of sound – which means 24-bit/96kHz is sufficient to make an exact duplicate of what we are now deeming master quality. (To be technical, there is nothing to say studios won’t eventually produce sound at a high-resolution – one that may not be transferable in this way.).

My point being, even if game developers don’t want to mess around real-time encoding of differing DD and DTS formats … there is nothing to say they can’t simply use high-quality multi-channel PCM. With that in mind, there will likely be games with sound-quality at or near ‘master’ quality.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
aaaaa0 said:
Why do you need both Dolby TrueHD AND DTS HD?

Dolby TrueHD is mathemetically lossless, so there's no point at all of having DTS HD as well. You'd just need one or the other.

They should sound identical otherwise one of them is broken.
Even if just some movies end up supporting only one or the other, it's not bad to have support for both. On PS3 at least support for both relies just on different pieces of software, there's no additional hardware needed for any of that.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Actually, it says it's the same. I don't have a slimmy, I have a fatty PS2. Has anybody done measurements of the PSTwo with an SPL meter at various distances?
You probably have the older PS2 fatty model. Last revision of the fatty model was pretty silent, and the slim one is even more so.

aaaaa0

Marconelly said:
Even if just some movies end up supporting only one or the other, it's not bad to have support for both. On PS3 at least support for both relies just on different pieces of software, there's no additional hardware needed for any of that.

$$$

Having two lossless codecs is a waste of licensing money.

There's an argument for having multiple lossy codecs, since different codecs might be better on different types of content.

But a lossless codec is a lossless codec. The discs and players should just pick one.

Marconelly said:
You probably have the older PS2 fatty model. Last revision of the fatty model was pretty silent, and the slim one is even more so.

My current one is from early 2003. It's loud. Ditto my 360 and both of my Dreamcasts. I don't like it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
beermonkey@tehbias said:
My current one is from early 2003.
Yeah, that's an old enough model. The silent 'fat' one was in production as of late 2003 or early 2004 I think.

aaaaa0 said:
$$$

Having two lossless codecs is a waste of licensing money.
The licensing money for that must be peanuts. In an ideal world, I agree with you on principle, but I'm just saying that even if a few movies that you like end up using DTS-HD exclusively, support for it is fine by me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BlueTsunami said:

yes. Both HDDVD and bluray do this. They actually require the player to do the decoding, so they can mix in director commentary etc.

So you don't need HDMI 1.3. Just normal HDMI 1.1 or greater, passing the decoded PCM down to your receiver.

Or analog 5.1 outputs into your receiver.

As for 'PS3 doesn't have analog outputs', well I don't think we've seen any pictures of the PS3 AV outs planned by Sony. Lets wait and see. I hope they do support that, as I have 5.1 inputs, but not HDMI on my receiver.

And the HDDVD add on for XBox 360 is supposed to support decoding of Dolby TrueHD 5.1, and the only reason to do that is if it can output it. So they'll need a new cable hopefully too.

Top Bottom