• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my SCART switcher came!

I bought this unit based on this:

http://www.videogameperfection.com/2014/06/29/silverscreen-trilogy-review/

There's not a ton of information about it, but they seem to be highly coveted by people on the shmups forum. My friend in Scotland was kind enough to buy it from a local seller, and then send it on to me.
Oh, cool. I've never heard of this unit. I wonder if it trumps the Banbridge units. I'd be completely happy with mine if it didn't do the goofy thing with input 5 and the power transfer. I can't seem to notice any visual degradation.

Mercutio

Oh, cool. I've never heard of this unit. I wonder if it trumps the Banbridge units. I'd be completely happy with mine if it didn't do the goofy thing with input 5 and the power transfer. I can't seem to notice any visual degradation.

This one requires power, so I've got to wait for my step-up box and some new cables. Might be a bit before I know how it runs... but it's a nice looking unit. I got a PDF of the manual from the owner of that site I linked to; if anyone wants a copy, let me know.

Mercutio

So, after months of research and following this thread, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an xrgb mini. It's on it's way!

I just want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge with me thus far. This is one of the best threads out there about IQ from old consoles, and it's all thanks to you fine people.

So, about connecting a DC to the XRGB Mini... what's considered the optimal setup? Is there any way to get 480p from games that support it then toggle back down to 240p from the games that don't?

P.S. I don't have any VGA ports on my HDTV. So I'd need to do this entirely though the Mini. Will the Kenzei allow me to do this?

I don't know the details of it, but the Toro seems geared toward connecting the DC to the Mini.

http://www.beharbros.com/#!toro/cfom

Might be worth looking into?

Peltz

I'm almost afraid to ask... because I think I know the answer, but are there any good JPN 21 PIN RGB switches out there?

I just bought 21 PIN cables for both my Genesis and SNES to go with my incoming XRGB Mini....so I feel like I might have messed up by not going with SCART cables and hooking them into SCART Switches, then converting them all into JPN 21 PIN RGB at the end.

homer-doh1.jpg

I ordered the Toro, anxiously awaiting for it to arrive. It seems like it will be great; I should be able to get the full 480p resolution on 31khz on my PVM 20l5. I can't wait to get it and test it out.

Mercutio

I'm almost afraid to ask... because I think I know the answer, but are there any good JPN 21 pin RGB switches out there?

I_know_that_feel_bro.jpg

Short answer: No.

Long answer: If you want a Selecty 21, be prepared to pay $200+ for something that will only accept 3 inputs.

I was holding out for one, but it's been months; I bit the bullet and went with the Trilogy 1 when it surfaced and all my cables are being switched to Euro.

Peagles

I'm almost afraid to ask... because I think I know the answer, but are there any good JPN 21 PIN RGB switches out there?

I just bought 21 PIN cables for both my Genesis and SNES to go with my incoming XRGB Mini....so I feel like I might have messed up by not going with SCART cables and hooking them into SCART Switches, then converting them all into JPN 21 PIN RGB at the end.

homer-doh1.jpg

I've posted it before but nobody seemed to notice, but I'd keep an eye on this guy and nab one of his switches when he next takes preorders: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?52513-gscartsw-automatic-8-1-SCART-RGB-switch

BONKERS

Hey guys - new member here. Recently captured some Dragon Force footage (upscaled to 720p by my Framemeister) with my Elgato. Pretty pleased with the result.

I know it has been stated before in this thread, but as long as you are playing a game that maintains a constant resolution, the Framemeister really breathes new life into those old Saturn games. I'm glad I held on to them.

Looks good to me.

Though the more I see it, the more I dislike added scanlines with scalers.

There's more to a CRT than just scanlines, after having spent so much time playing games on a CRT even with a HQ signal. Just adding scanlines isn't enough and doesn't do it justice.

It'd be REALLY amazing and cool if Micomsoft was able to make a new scaler that essentially had the ability to use dedicated hardware to apply shaders that could be user modified or adjusted for CRT emulation. (So then everyone could adjust the effect to their liking)

Much akin to CRT shaders for current emulation.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
Just find a older model SNES and mod that boy with component for $5 and enjoy some nice graphics, especially if on a monitor or later model CRT with component inputs.

Anyone needing help with this PM me as the instructions out there on how to do this are very very confusing.

Peagles

Just find a older model SNES and mod that boy with component for $5 and enjoy some nice graphics, especially if on a monitor or later model CRT with component inputs.

Anyone needing help with this PM me as the instructions out there on how to do this are very very confusing.

You could write a little guide and post it in here :)

D.Lo

Or you can use a $40 lossless RGB to component converter box without needing to mod anything?

I've been modding consoles for 20 years but an internal RGB to component mod seems like the most pointless thing ever honestly. Almost all old consoles output RGB natively, most monitors and scalers are looking for RGB not YUV, and for a monitor that only wants YUV a cheap little box can get that done for all your consoles at once for $50 delivered.

But whatever floats your boat I guess, these seem all the rage on PCE forums.

StevieWhite

Looks good to me.

Though the more I see it, the more I dislike added scanlines with scalers.

There's more to a CRT than just scanlines, after having spent so much time playing games on a CRT even with a HQ signal. Just adding scanlines isn't enough and doesn't do it justice.

It'd be REALLY amazing and cool if Micomsoft was able to make a new scaler that essentially had the ability to use dedicated hardware to apply shaders that could be user modified or adjusted for CRT emulation. (So then everyone could adjust the effect to their liking)

Much akin to CRT shaders for current emulation.
I know what you mean. Whether or not I like the Framemeister's scanlines is really varies from game to game.

The framemeister does have that goofy retro mode where it bows the edges and muddies up colors on certain areas of the screen. That can be fun to mess with, but it is a far cry from an actual old school CRT.

Peltz

I know what you mean. Whether or not I like the Framemeister's scanlines is really varies from game to game.

The framemeister does have that goofy retro mode where it bows the edges and muddies up colors on certain areas of the screen. That can be fun to mess with, but it is a far cry from an actual old school CRT.

I'm with you guys. I'd get a CRT if I could find a good one and was able to find a good place for it in my apartment. XRGB Mini just seems like a convenient space saver which is why I ordered one, but I know deep down that I'll grab an RGB monitor eventually.

Yes Boss!

I'm with you guys. I'd get a CRT if I could find a good one and was able to find a good place for it in my apartment. XRGB Mini just seems like a convenient space saver which is why I ordered one, but I know deep down that I'll grab an RGB monitor eventually.

Yep, why not both. Both have their strenghts and weekneses. Love the mini just as much as the CRTs.

Khaz

Scart switch boxes are incompatible with Jp21? That's a bit surprising. I mean, it just connects the input pins to the output pins regardless of what signal it may or may not carry. Unless I'm missing some information, as long as you are using the same type of input and output, the switch box should work with both Scart and Jp21. But you do have more knowledge than me on that, so please enlighten me.

[edit] We're talking manual switch boxes, obviously. Automatic switch boxes work by monitoring the +5V line and won't work with Jp21 which has its 5V on a different pin.

Peagles

Or you can use a $40 lossless RGB to component converter box without needing to mod anything?

I've been modding consoles for 20 years but an internal RGB to component mod seems like the most pointless thing ever honestly. Almost all old consoles output RGB natively, most monitors and scalers are looking for RGB not YUV, and for a monitor that only wants YUV a cheap little box can get that done for all your consoles at once for $50 delivered.

But whatever floats your boat I guess, these seem all the rage on PCE forums.

Regular people seem to want component so I'm making up a bunch. By regular people I mean those who aren't in/interested in this whole RGB scene but know they want something that looks better.

Adam Blue

Buddy found 2 NEC XM29 Plus. Not locally, but so happens a friend form where they are is visiting this weekend. Grabbing both for us.

I may then have my PVM and Destination monitor for sale.

Peltz

Buddy found 2 NEC XM29 Plus. Not locally, but so happens a friend form where they are is visiting this weekend. Grabbing both for us.

I may then have my PVM and Destination monitor for sale.

I've heard the NEC is amazing.

Let me know if you do decide to sell your monitors. I may impulsively buy one if the right deal came along.

Peltz

Why do so many people mod the NES Toploader for RGB instead of the Famicom AV? Isn't the Famicom AV more versatile because it can play Japanese games with the extra sound channels plus FDS support? Is it just because they don't want to deal with the pin conversion for North American games?

Mercutio

Why do so many people mod the NES Toploader for RGB instead of the Famicom AV? Isn't the Famicom AV more versatile because it can play Japanese games with the extra sound channels plus FDS support? Is it just because they don't want to deal with the pin conversion for North American games?

Speaking as a person who recently made the decision to get an AV Famicom:

I think most folks who are interested in the NES and NES era retro gaming are mostly into the games from their childhood. Having the best possible version of a system that says Nintendo Entertainment System on it is probably a lot more appealing than dealing with converters and short gamepad cords. Heck, it seems like finding the right converter for the AV is actually kind of tricky. I paid nearly $40 for one that had full compatibility, and it required a lot of research.

I'd bet that most people who get into NES collecting won't ever touch the Japanese stuff.

D.Lo

No idea.
I love the NES too, but the toaster is what the giant carts were designed for.

I had an NES toploader when they came out, and it was fine (apart from RF only WTF), but looks kinda silly with the carts sticking out the top that far.

Toaster is the classic. If I get an NES RGB modded (to go with my RGB modded AV Fami) it will def be an OG.

Actually the original Famicom is a classic too, I'll be going for one of those when a better RGB mod is done for it (eTim's working on it apparently)

Mercutio

No idea.
I love the NES too, but the toaster is what the giant carts were designed for.

I had an NES toploader when they came out, and it was fine (apart from RF only WTF), but looks kinda silly with the carts sticking out the top that far.

Toaster is the classic. If I get an NES RGB modded (to go with my RGB modded AV Fami) it will def be an OG.

Actually the original Famicom is a classic too, I'll be going for one of those when a better RGB mod is done for it (eTim's working on it apparently)

Huh! Will it be a better RGB mod for other versions of the system as well? Down the line, I'm sure I'll want to have my AV Famicom modded for it.

D.Lo

Huh! Will it be a better RGB mod for other versions of the system as well? Down the line, I'm sure I'll want to have my AV Famicom modded for it.
No it's the same mod, but it's difficult to do right now on an OG Fami, and has some configuration issues - such as the power switch being after the regulator.

See here: http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/installation-famicom/

The current NESRGB is basically perfect, no need for any improvement to it. It's spectacular really.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Convenience.

- I got tired of dealing with the original NES's 72-pin connector literally decades ago.
- The original Famicom is just completely out of the question. (Hard-wired controllers = nope.)
- The AV Famicom would actually be pretty nice, and if I ever had an interest in JP games, I'd consider an upgrade to that eventually, but if your main (or in my case, only) focus is American games, then it's not that appealing. US cartridges already stick out quite a bit on US top-loaders; chaining them on top of another converter is pretty silly looking and probably less stable than I'd prefer.

I'm pretty sure you can get mods done on a US system and flash cart to allow for extra Famicom sound, but I haven't looked into it too deeply.

And despite the fact that Japanese Mario 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, I've never been that keen on hunting down an actual FDS. Those things just sound like too much work to maintain and most of the notable games got NES conversions in the west anyway. And again, flash carts can play those games.

Vark

Convenience.

- I got tired of dealing with the original NES's 72-pin connector literally decades ago.
- The original Famicom is just completely out of the question. (Hard-wired controllers = nope.)
- The AV Famicom would actually be pretty nice, and if I ever had an interest in JP games, I'd consider an upgrade to that eventually, but if your main (or in my case, only) focus is American games, then it's not that appealing. US cartridges already stick out quite a bit on US top-loaders; chaining them on top of another converter is pretty silly looking and probably less stable than I'd prefer.

I'm pretty sure you can get mods done on a US system and flash cart to allow for extra Famicom sound, but I haven't looked into it too deeply.

And despite the fact that Japanese Mario 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, I've never been that keen on hunting down an actual FDS. Those things just sound like too much work to maintain and most of the notable games got NES conversions in the west anyway. And again, flash carts can play those games.

FDS games sound pretty terrible on flash carts unfortunately. It's the only reason I torture myself with maintaining the drive belt.

Mercutio

FDS games sound pretty terrible on flash carts unfortunately. It's the only reason I torture myself with maintaining the drive belt.

Oh man! The Flash Carts don't replicate the additional sound stuff? That's basically the only reason I'd get FD games! I REQUIRE a copy of Metroid with that sweet Disk System sound...

polyphenus

Neo Member
Forgive me if I'm asking a dumb/pointless/unwelcome question: How much does it cost to purchase a pre-built NES with RGB? I'm no whiz with electronics so it would be easier for me to buy one that's already taken care of...

Mercutio

Forgive me if I'm asking a dumb/pointless/unwelcome question: How much does it cost to purchase a pre-built NES with RGB? I'm no whiz with electronics so it would be easier for me to buy one that's already taken care of...

You'll save hundreds by buying the parts necessary, and sending them to a reputable modder.

AV Famicom / Toploader should run you about $100, $100ish for the RGB board, $50-80 for the mod depending on what options you pick. By options, I mean if you want a switch for the color choices, or if you want a Nintendo style AV jack in the back.

antibolo

Banned

Actually I think the toploader NES can't be modded to tap into the extra channel, only the original NES (which has the pin in the expansion port on the bottom).

D.Lo

You can mod a USA Front loader easily for extra sound channels, it's much more difficult with a top loader because it doesn't have the expansion connectors.

It also has a front controller port with access to P1 and P2 controller lines, and it's a VERY easy converter to make to get NES controllers to run on it.

That said, I can see how OG Fami isn't for everyone!

Soooo many great FDS games did not get US conversions. Miracle of Arumana, Love Warrior Nicol, Meikyuu Jiin Dababa, Falsion, The awesome Konami sports line, Metroid with the extra sound channel...

I love my FDS! And as long as you look after it they seem to be fine, I've had mine for 20 years, never missed a beat.

Yeah they suck.

People call the NES a "toaster"? That's new to me. I always thought it was basically a top-loading tray VCR, like all of the original 70s/early 80s ones.
Google 'toaster console' and you'll get a few hits referring to the NES. Yes it's fairly inaccurate I guess, given top loaders are loaded more like toasters.

Mercutio

What was the story worth the CMVS units?

Well, nothing really bad from a homebrew perspective.

photoxiuv.jpg

But he's largely relying on basic mods from the internet on a pre-made MVS main board. The Famicom thing he's got going is basically chips cut out of dead Famicoms and put in some new custom board he's got made. It's infinitely more complex than what he was doing above.

photoxiuv.jpg

But he's largely relying on basic mods from the internet on a pre-made MVS main board. The Famicom thing he's got going is basically chips cut out of dead Famicoms and put in some new custom board he's got made. It's infinitely more complex than what he was doing above.

kinda mindblowing this is what the inside of a $1000 CMVS looks like

baphomet

photoxiuv.jpg

That's extremely bad for custom work. My first cmvs is wired much better than that.

Peltz

So as some of you may know, I've decided to get on the RGB bandwagon and ordered the XRGB mini this week. It's on it's way...

Well, it's funny how things work out sometimes. I decided to also take a chance on a studio RGB monitor today on CL for $20 and brought it home. And who would've guessed, it's the greatest $20 I've ever spent on anything gaming related in my life.

The picture is eye-searingly phenomenal and I'm only using S-Video cables so far... (the RGB cables are on their way).

Please pardon my very iPhone-quality pics, they really don't do this thing justice. For some reason, it makes the image look very dull. Plus, they got compressed when I uploaded to facebook :(... (any tips on how to take better pics of a CRT?)

Anyway, it's far more colorful and lush in person. Even with only S-Video, I can't imagine the XRGB mini actually topping this, but I'll find out soon enough ^_^. I've never seen anything like this in person before. It's truly a special sight to behold <3

Here it is, the Panasonic BT-H1350Y:

10659243_10100862731017030_566631381639758417_n.jpg

1011205_10100862731022020_6281801186774662457_n.jpg

10689458_10100862727349380_2058881796212875539_n.jpg

1969358_10100862727344390_871912937029594445_n.jpg

10409708_10100862727534010_7109612299606804860_n.jpg

10689458_10100862727349380_2058881796212875539_n.jpg

10710824_10100862727364350_7446475403536796136_n.jpg

10730939_10100862764934060_712347301224997235_n.jpg

10516727_10100862763157620_7706937704383592910_n.jpg

10698698_10100862763162610_4221879218105503182_n.jpg

10710877_10100862769065780_5603797219203367331_n.jpg