• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

televator

Further reinforcing my opinion that the Framemeister is better-suited for people who'd rather look at games than play them. :p

Har, har... This is neogaf, no one here plays games. :p

Seriously though, I haven't been able to put Zero Mission down the past few hours. I haven't seriously played it since High School. This is what I've been waiting for. Finally I can return to my GBA classics. I just wish the GBA audio didn't suck balls. I wish Swiss could force better audio decoding too. Lol

Peltz

Further reinforcing my opinion that the Framemeister is better-suited for people who'd rather look at games than play them. :p

cm-39268-050cb463153f8a.jpeg

But I do agree that input lag makes makes action games unplayable via GB Player + The Framemeister. It's just lag+lag.

For most sources, the Framemeister is great though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I can't even front. I didn't really notice how lousy the GBP was until I specifically went out to look for those problems.

I think all I played on it back in the day was Pokemon. That isn't the kind of game where those issues really get in the way.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

What does that mean... "play games". Going for world record speed runs? Sparring with Daigo Umehara in 3rd strike?

I can't even perceive the one frame of lag or whatever it is. Most people can't.

If lag leaps out at you... I'd say pat yourself on the back. You're exceptional. But don't think that other people are somehow blinded by shiny things. Believe me, I play games to play games... and I think the Framemeister is adequate for 99.999% of people on this earth who want to play a game.

It's more the other way around... a CRT in 2015 is for superhumans with elite gaming needs. Actually... most people tracking down PVMs are doing so for picture reasons as well, not lag.

Madao

my memory is failing me so i need a refresh.

do 480i, 240p and 480p have the same lag once the Framemeister processes them?

Madao

i need help from the experts again.

i took some pictures to help someone with a FM issue but i ended up noticing an issue on my own setup but i have no idea what's up with this.
ibxalV4mGyMLev.png

GC component Cable plugged directly to FM

iVgeMxUeVrueM.png

GC component Cable plugged through a receiver and then to FM

i was surprised that the image is different.

baphomet

i took some pictures to help someone with a FM issue but i ended up noticing an issue on my own setup but i have no idea what's up with this.

If youre using the component cables you should be running it in at least 480p, if not forcing 240p for the best image.

D.Lo

Well I went the 'tear the cable up' route for making an external Mark III RGB amplifier.

Pulled the power and ground from the pinout, works great!

Now to splice in FM audio, rewire and box it up nicely.
If youre using the component cables you should be running it in at least 480p, if not forcing 240p for the best image.
Not an option if it's running from the PAL disc.
But yeah given the cost of component cables might as well.

Finally got myself to pick up a universal remote to get rid of the constant "VIDEO 1" on a decent Sony Trinitron I was given a couple months ago. I hooked my N64 up to it with the, non-shitty, s-video cable I ordered on-line and I'm pretty impressed. Looks much better than what my old Citizen would put out.

Peltz

Finally got myself to pick up a universal remote to get rid of the constant "VIDEO 1" on a decent Sony Trinitron I was given a couple months ago. I hooked my N64 up to it with the, non-shitty, s-video cable I ordered on-line and I'm pretty impressed. Looks much better than what my old Citizen would put out.

What game is that?

Jinroh

Since the Framemeister AC adapter is 100-240 volts, can anyone confirm it can be plugged safely to 220 volts in Europe?

Peagles

You guys are gonna laugh at this...

After starting Majora's Mask 3D I decided to go back and play through the intro on N64 on my PVM to see how Clocktown had changed. While I'm trying to waste time getting to the final day, the bells start ringing in the evening and I'm looking at the screen like.. shit... I don't remember turning underscan on... So I press it again to turn it off and the screen got even smaller! The bells chime again and I'm like crap it's even smaller now! WTF is going o-

Ohh yeh I remember now, lol.

Peltz

hehehe, it's strange they have kept it in the 3DS version. Maybe because nostalgia.

IIRC this underscan thingy doesn't happen if you play on a HDTV...

It did when I played it on my HDTV via composite. Since getting a PVM, I haven't tried it with the framemeister.

angelic

Banned
Har, har... This is neogaf, no one here plays games. :p

Seriously though, I haven't been able to put Zero Mission down the past few hours. I haven't seriously played it since High School. This is what I've been waiting for. Finally I can return to my GBA classics. I just wish the GBA audio didn't suck balls. I wish Swiss could force better audio decoding too. Lol

GBA games play beautifully on a modded psp, of course presuming the games are owned. Really helped me replay Circle of the Moon and Zero mission, great L and R buttons and super bright screen.

televator

GBA games play beautifully on a modded psp, of course presuming the games are owned. Really helped me replay Circle of the Moon and Zero mission, great L and R buttons and super bright screen.

For its faults, the GB player is real GBA hardware so that pretty much puts a PSP emulator considerably beneath this subject.

On a different note:

Who wants an XM29? My friend wants to fish for offers for his XM29 plus. I would have bought it off him but I don't care much for CRT anymore. PM me if interested.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
For its faults, the GB player is real GBA hardware so that pretty much puts a PSP emulator considerably beneath this subject.
I can't speak for PSP-specific options, but I'd probably take a good GBA emulator over the GBP when it comes to playing those games on a TV.

BTails

So, I'm in the market for a good quality Male-to-Male Euro SCART cable; the one that came with my Toro is flaky, it likes to tint the screen yellow.

What's the best place to get a decent cable online without breaking the bank? I could buy one off eBay, but I'm not sure it would be decent quality.

Peagles

So, I'm in the market for a good quality Male-to-Male Euro SCART cable; the one that came with my Toro is flaky, it likes to tint the screen yellow.

What's the best place to get a decent cable online without breaking the bank? I could buy one off eBay, but I'm not sure it would be decent quality.

Where are you located? They are fairly cheap here second hand for really nice quality cables. I wouldn't mind forwarding one over if the shipping was reasonable for you.

BTails

Where are you located? They are fairly cheap here second hand for really nice quality cables. I wouldn't mind forwarding one over if the shipping was reasonable for you.

True North Strong and Free (Canada). Shipping worldwide tends to start at around $9 CAD for a light padded envelope.

Peagles

True North Strong and Free (Canada). Shipping worldwide tends to start at around $9 CAD for a light padded envelope.

Oh I mean I'd have to work out the shipping from here in NZ and see if that would be okay for you; if it's super expensive it might be better for you to buy online elsewhere, but I have seen nice flat cables for as low as $1 here.

BTails

Oh I mean I'd have to work out the shipping from here in NZ and see if that would be okay for you; if it's super expensive it might be better for you to buy online elsewhere, but I have seen nice flat cables for as low as $1 here.

Oh course, haha. Well, if you want to check on shipping and PM me, go ahead! I think I'd trust your judgement in good cables more than some random eBay seller ;)

Khaz

You want them thick, that's how you can guess it has shielded wires. gold-plated and ferrite beads are a bonus. Don't buy it longer than what you really need.

Something like this is a good cable: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000MMONQ8/
I've browsed amazon.ca a bit, and I saw nothing satisfactory. You can probably work something out with a UK seller?

[edit] Do you need to carry sound with it? Because if you don't, any normal cable should do.

Peltz

I can't speak for PSP-specific options, but I'd probably take a good GBA emulator over the GBP when it comes to playing those games on a TV.

You monster! Every time you say that, an angel loses its wings....

...But really, if you're willing to go the emulation route, then I'd urge you and everyone else to consider a Wii U with GBA VC to keep it all legit.

Peltz

retro_console_accessories would sell you one if you specifically ask her for it. Her cables are the bees' knees.

BONKERS

RGB level mishaps one is being mapped to 16-235, the other 0-255. The latter should be the correct option

PSP emulation is not really accurate. It gets the job done for many games. Just don't think about playing those games on anything but a PSPGo or 3000. Otherwise your eyes will explode from poor LCD response and panel blur.

If you are gonna use a TV and emulation. Just use PC emulation.

lazygecko

I'm trying out Morrowind using Morrowind Watercolored and deliberately playing in 720p upscaled to 1080. Two reasons for that. One is that the sharp edges of the polygons can get a bit jarring compared to the smooth stylized textures at 1080, and second is that the lowpoly nature of older 3D games becomes more pronounced than they really appeared back in the day when you play them at much higher resolutions. Could potentially try even lower resolutions...

I'm trying out Morrowind using Morrowind Watercolored and deliberately playing in 720p upscaled to 1080. Two reasons for that. One is that the sharp edges of the polygons can get a bit jarring compared to the smooth stylized textures at 1080, and second is that the lowpoly nature of older 3D games becomes more pronounced than they really appeared back in the day when you play them at much higher resolutions. Could potentially try even lower resolutions...

looks kind of reminiscent of PSP or PSX games through emulator with texture filtering. Not sure if I like it, tbh, but that's probably just my bias since I think morrowind is pretty thoroughly hideous.

televator

Zero Mission finished... I forgot how difficult that game is with respect to exploration. Shine sparking is a test of precision and I only barely pull it off for a fraction of the power ups that require it.

Anyway, this framemeister is consuming my life. It has opened up the flood gates. Can't... stop... playing games... that used to look like ass on my plasma.

antibolo

Banned
I hesitate to ask because I should take a break from throwing money at this thing, but anyone have recommendations for a SCART switcher?

Pretty much everyone here (including yours truly) used to heartily recommend the Bandridge 5 port switch, but apparently it's pretty much sold out everywhere, unfortunately.

But if you can find one, get it!

I hesitate to ask because I should take a break from throwing money at this thing, but anyone have recommendations for a SCART switcher?
I have a couple of Hama 101 switches I opened and used literally a couple of times before electing to get the Banbridge units I'm using now. that are three inputs for each one. They're generally considered to be the same quality as the Banbridge, just less inputs. I'm in the US, so maybe that's an option for you to consider.

I have a couple of Hama 101 switches I opened and used literally a couple of times before electing to get the Banbridge units I'm using now. that are three inputs for each one. They're generally considered to be the same quality as the Banbridge, just less inputs. I'm in the US, so maybe that's an option for you to consider.

Hmm...I have to consider this. I've got three SCART devices now, but I may be getting a couple more soon. Still might be easier than switching every device now.

Pretty much everyone here (including yours truly) used to heartily recommend the Bandridge 5 port switch, but apparently it's pretty much sold out everywhere, unfortunately.

But if you can find one, get it!

If it's a UK product, I'll start trolling UK eBay.

baphomet

The Hama switches work great too. That what I had before I decided to just hook up one thing at a time.

One at a time! I have three Banbridge switches that I have daisy chained together. I'm a man of sophisticated tastes who demands his 12 consoles be hooked up at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom