• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huggers

thin and colourful?

Ha it's funny this pops up every few pages. Scanlines are the colouful bits, scanlines are the black bits etc etc. I alwasy think people are referring to the black lines even if technically the lines being scanned are the colourful ones. What do I know, point is, I luurve me some scanlines.

Talking of which, got an RGB Nes board on route to someone who is going to attach the appropriate bits to the appropriate parts of a Nes for me. Very excited

Khaz

Damn, I'm about to get an HD CRT very soon. I just need to get it from the other side of the country and I'll soon understand what all the fuss is about these modern consoles in 480p / 1080i. The beast has a 81cm wide screen and weight 54kg, I have no idea how I will move it on my own.

The guy just told me he tried the tv but it kept whistling loudly, with no picture to be displayed. What do you guys think? Should I still get it and try to have it repaired? I do have a TV repairman not far from home but I don't know if they still do CRTs (and it's already the evening here so I can't ask them right away).

What questions should I ask the seller? I was supposed to come and pick it up tomorrow, but I'll just delay it a bit.

I'd have to drive 400km and back to get it so even if I don't pay anything I'd still have to pay for the fuel :/ (that would cost me something like 100-150€)

D.Lo

The guy just told me he tried the tv but it kept whistling loudly, with no picture to be displayed. What do you guys think? Should I still get it and try to have it repaired? I do have a TV repairman not far from home but I don't know if they still do CRTs (and it's already the evening here so I can't ask them right away).

What questions should I ask the seller? I was supposed to come and pick it up tomorrow, but I'll just delay it a bit.

I'd have to drive 400km and back to get it so even if I don't pay anything I'd still have to pay for the fuel :/ (that would cost me something like 100-150€)
Don't get it will not be worth it.

D.Lo

I finished my Sega Mark III external RGB amplifier with FM audio break-in, and created a blog basically just to post about it any my other retro stuff. Here's the link if anyone is interested:

https://nintendosegajapan.wordpress...external-rgb-amplifier-with-fm-audio-break-in

(I asked a few mods if it was okay to post)

Very fun project. Combined with my Mark III Everdrive I have completed the ultimate 8-bit Sega machine!

Some pics:

m3rgb_0003.jpg

m3rgb2_1631.jpg

m3rgb2_1632.jpg

rgb.jpg

So what's the best SCART switch now that the bandridge one is sold out everywhere? I have 5 systems I need to hookup to my BVM and am really sick of reaching in the back to switch out the cables. I don't want any noticeable signal degradation. Ideas?

Khaz

Is there a protocol to put a CRT in tate mode? I just tried to turn mine but the picture went all pink :( I turned it back again to normal, and the image got all its colours back.

Peltz

I'm giving away a nice 14" pvm to any GAF member who can pick it up in NYC. I've needed to make space ever since picking up my 20" set.

Free to a good home. PM me.

Edit: FYI: it's a PVM 14m2u. I'm not charging for it because I want to give back something nice after this thread given me so much insight.

missile

... Fascinating stuff! ...
Thx a lot. You follow some interest in retro graphics/games as well?

... Also sounds like it would have more input lag as a result on top of any scaling solution... ...
Any filter within this regard needs to work in realtime, meaning having
finished every computation before the next sample comes along. Hence, if the
sampling frequency is too high or the filter too complex, or the filter needs
samples of a previous images, lag will occur.

... Is the purpose of the filter you are working simply to be used as an ends or is it really a means to build some sort of correction for it? I think maybe people misunderstood the intent of the application for your work.
I'm not working on a specific filter, I'm working on a tool to build filters
geared towards retro gaming. One use lies in addressing many of the scaling
issues for indie devs making retro-style games for different displays, see for
example; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152793266&postcount=1963.
In the future it may even happen that the screen/system puts a filter between
you and the screen. For example, I observed such a behavior on iOS already
within the browser. The browser filters the images automatically before
displaying (you can't turn it off). Knowing this, you can counteract the
filtering by manipulating your images beforehand to annihilate the post-
processing filter as good as possible. Likewise with many other systems which
filter your signal in a way you don't want them to do. Another use I'm after
is building suitable filters for a faithful reproduction of retro graphics
on modern displays, i.e. mimicking the many system responses (CRT response,
signal path/bandwidth/magnitude limitations etc.) the artist had to account
for while creating the graphics for their games. As a result of this it
becomes possible to try to simulate many different (ancient) output devices.
So you may for example want to play your Amiga games as you did on your 1084
monitor, or as you played them on TV using an HF modulator, or as you played
Elite on a BBCmicro (btw; the spheres were rendered on a BBCmicro! xD) resp.
want to play it like old. On the other hand, a modern retro-style game can use
such filters to create a certain atmosphere/aesthetic. However, my primary
intent is to simulate a CRT/TVs response while applying a video signal to its
guns and the response you get while feeding the video signal through different
paths beforehand. This requires a lot of filters which also need to match
together. A daunting task at times! xD

another update (sorry) I finally got to try composite and it works!
So whats the next step to try and get the RGB working?
Does that mean that the sync is definitely the problem now that the composite works?
Should I get new cables with boosted signal? Where would I get them? (retro_console_accessories doesn't always have items for sale and the composite video sync one I got may be giving me this trouble)

Here are some pics of it in composite:
oKRaJrS.jpg

Tc19LvC.jpg

2E7DBuw.jpg

another update (sorry) I finally got to try composite and it works!
So whats the next step to try and get the RGB working?
Does that mean that the sync is definitely the problem now that the composite works?
Should I get new cables with boosted signal? Where would I get them? (retro_console_accessories doesn't always have items for sale and the composite video sync one I got may be giving me this trouble)

She is still the best source for RGB cables even with the downtime. She does also sell CSYNC versions of like all her cables, along with boosted sync on top of that of various ones. The problem could also be your SCART>BNC converter, and I can't really think of a way of testing it without getting another scart cable. I'm sorry I can't be more help.

Bog

Junior Ace
I'm still getting occasional sync issues with the Framemeister, be it with the picture dropping out completely or these little white lines that intermittently show up, similar to like a tracking issue on a VCR.

Anyone know how to fix it? I recorded a quick video of Pier Solar with the white lines... It's far worse than it appears in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1caeo_vQHQ (Make it full screen to really see them)

D.Lo

I'm still getting occasional sync issues with the Framemeister, be it with the picture dropping out completely or these little white lines that intermittently show up, similar to like a tracking issue on a VCR.

Anyone know how to fix it? I recorded a quick video of Pier Solar with the white lines... It's far worse than it appears in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1caeo_vQHQ
To start with, go to Visual Set > Sync level and turn it down very low. Like to 3. That should help.

But ultimately Mega Drive (1 and 2, and Master System, and Mark III) consoles have very weak sync. Framemesiter doesn't like them. You need a sync boosted Scart cable.

Bog

Junior Ace
To start with, go to Visual Set > Sync level and turn it down very low. Like to 3. That should help.

But ultimately Mega Drive (1 and 2, and Master System, and Mark III) consoles have very weak sync. Framemesiter doesn't like them. You need a sync boosted Scart cable.

I had it set pretty low and only got occasional white lines (is there a name for those?). Then I went to Sync Mode -> Auto and it freaked out to the point seen in the video above. The cable I'm using is a "Micomsoft XRGB TV lead cable cord" from retro_console_accessories on ebay. I assume I need an even better one?

D.Lo

I had it set pretty low and only got occasional white lines (is there a name for those?). Then I went to Sync Mode -> Auto and it freaked out to the point seen in the video above. The cable I'm using is a "Micomsoft XRGB TV lead cable cord" from retro_console_accessories on ebay. I assume I need an even better one?
You mean your RGB cable, or the adapter to connect it to the XRGB?

You need this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesi...599?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259e488487

Or the Mega Drive 2 equivalent.

Bog

Junior Ace
Thanks. It's not just Genesis, though. I get those intermittent white lines and dropout no matter what console I hook up -- SNES via RGB, NES via composite, and even PS2 via Component. Is there a chance it's an issue with the Framemeister itself?

D.Lo

Thanks. It's not just Genesis, though. I get those intermittent white lines and dropout no matter what console I hook up -- SNES via RGB, NES via composite, and even PS2 via Component. Is there a chance it's an issue with the Framemeister itself?
Fiddle with the sync level for each. Nintendo consoles have much better composite and sync signals, so sync may be too strong if left at the Mega Drive level.

Turn it to a middle setting for NES or SNES, 13-17.

No idea about PS2, it looks pretty bad on the FM to me anyway so I don't use it.

Yeah, it's the JP-21 RGB Genesis cable I have. I assumed all the cables from r_c_s were boosted. What's CSYNC?
No they're not all boosted, no reason to assume that. Most of the time you don't need a sync boost, only with Sega consoles to upscalers and some RGB monitors, anything sensitive to a weak sync signal.

D.Lo

Anyone wanna weigh in on this? I'm tossing up between RGB and component, but I heard RGB can be pretty terrible.
Xbox component can also be terrible, mine was a washed out mess (5/10 quality compared to PS2 6.5/10, Wii 8/10, GCN 10/10 for comparison). Apparently some early US consoles have much better component video.

There's no simple answer because the Xbox had so many board revisions with multiple video encoders as production was constantly re-farmed out to whoever was the cheapest Chinese manufacturer at the time.

So I'd go with RGB - harder to go wrong with RGB, it's the simplest signal.

Peagles

Xbox component can also be terrible, mine was a washed out mess (5/10 quality compared to PS2 6.5/10, Wii 8/10, GCN 10/10 for comparison). Apparently some early US consoles have much better component video.

There's no simple answer because the Xbox had so many board revisions with multiple video encoders as production was constantly re-farmed out to whoever was the cheapest Chinese manufacturer at the time.

So I'd go with RGB - harder to go wrong with RGB, it's the simplest signal.

Thanks, RGB sounds good then. Have you got any recommendations of decently priced SCART cables?

She is still the best source for RGB cables even with the downtime. She does also sell CSYNC versions of like all her cables, along with boosted sync on top of that of various ones. The problem could also be your SCART>BNC converter, and I can't really think of a way of testing it without getting another scart cable. I'm sorry I can't be more help.

Thanks do you guys have a preferred seller for SCART>BNC adapters?
I'm going to try a new adapter first since I've come to the conclusion its either the SCART cable or adapter.(also no eta on when she will sell more SCART cables)

Also the composite gives the images above, so I tried the RGB Green BnC in the Composite and this is what I got:
KMV7hlq.gif

I've also heard this may be a grounding issue

RedSquare

Thanks do you guys have a preferred seller for SCART>BNC adapters?
I'm going to try a new adapter first since I've come to the conclusion its either the SCART cable or adapter.(also no eta on when she will sell more SCART cables)

Also the composite gives the images above, so I tried the RGB Green BnC in the Composite and this is what I got:
KMV7hlq.gif

I've also heard this may be a grounding issue

DO you have any other consoles to test via RGB?

Huggers

I have an SNES, PS1, and PS2 but no SCART cables for them.
Also I have a Sega Nomad but it would use this same cable

Definitely try a differernt RGB cable. Careful where you buy it from. I had trouble with my BVM due to cables that were said to be to be 'true RGB' that were in fact not.

Is there a protocol to put a CRT in tate mode? I just tried to turn mine but the picture went all pink :( I turned it back again to normal, and the image got all its colours back.

Unplug the CRT for ten minutes. Rotate it, and then turn it on. Look up degaussing a TV.

What the fuck...

I can make cables, I'm getting in this game...

I feel like it went for so much since her word of mouth is ridiculous and she's been on break. But seriously, how much spare cash do you have to have sitting around to pay 200$ for an adapter that can almost certainly be found for 1/10th the price soon enough.

dhonk

Hey if this is against the rules let me know, Ill edit it out!

Anyway, if any of you have some knowledge about analog video that crosses over into VHS archival, Ive got a topic in off topic if any of you can help: Highest Quality VHS Archival?

TL;DR: Brother hooked me up with a potential job digitizing TONS of VHS tapes. Client has plenty of budget to get something nice.

IrishNinja

Don't see that anyone mentioned it but the XRGB FM 8 pin - scart adapter that retro_console_accessories had up went for $192.50.

As someone relatively new to this, that isn't the norm, is it?

yeah, I figured this would be the case. But I can't blame her for charging more if that's how much the auctioned ones go for.

seriously

again, she's one of the only people actually providing a service (and a valuable one, clearly) rather than reselling, i'm happy to see her eating so well. if i was her i'd list the SNES ones as RARE L@@K OTHER SELLERS CABLES BRICK UR XRGB =( (buy it now: $250, no free shipping/refunds thx)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom