• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Not to mention all the X68000. Fucking art

pQxbujn.jpg

Fap away.

If I only had the money and the space...

dubc35

The Dale Chihuly glass museum in Seattle has a display in the gift shop with a bunch of old CRT's. I wish I would have taken some pictures. I'll search later when I'm not on mobile...although I can't imagine many people took pictures of old CRT's in a glass museum gift shop, lol.

Maxpacker

One day I'm hoping to come across an old Commodore 64 monitor. That's my holy grail of CRTs. Unfortunately as time marches on they're likely deteriorating more and more.

Commodore_1702.jpg

found one of these at a thrift store in june:

pnHEaQnh.jpg

Great condition, only cost me $50.00.
Nice sharp image, no rgb though, but i did make an s-video adapter that hooks up to the luma/chroma inputs.
also recapped it.

My friend donated his C-64 to me and it looks perfect on it, as do all my other consoles.

My HD retrovision Genesis cable came today and I'm so glad I pulled the trigger - it looks way, way, way better on my Sony CRT than composite. If anyone is on the fence, and has a component capable CRT, go for it - you won't regret it.

found one of these at a thrift store in june:

pnHEaQnh.jpg

Great condition, only cost me $50.00.
Nice sharp image, no rgb though, but i did make an s-video adapter that hooks up to the luma/chroma inputs.
also recapped it.

My friend donated his C-64 to me and it looks perfect on it, as do all my other consoles.

Killer. Give us a pic in action, man.

D.Lo

Yeah I always wanted a red CRT to go with the Famicom.

Of course they'd all be RF only by default so I'd probably end up literally killing myself modding it for RGB.

Roge_NES

Bought a PVM 20L5, received it but sadly the CRT does not turn on, I only get sound.
Button panel doesn't light up or respond either =/, might be an electrical issue or something got unplugged through the shipping, any tips?

One day I'm hoping to come across an old Commodore 64 monitor. That's my holy grail of CRTs. Unfortunately as time marches on they're likely deteriorating more and more.

Commodore_1702.jpg

My Commodore 1084S monitor is just sitting in my storage room along with my Amiga 500. I wish I had the space for it in my setup, and the time to mess around with it more.

Mega

Banned
Ever think we'll see hobbyist groups manufacturing modern CRTs (if that makes sense at all) for gaming?

Impossibly expensive and I'm not sure I could trust a "hobbyist-grade" CRT. With plasma gone, low-input lag OLED or similar tech with self-lit pixels is the dependable future replacement anyway. LCD is the garbage stopgap we have had to endure!

IrishNinja

so, the weird CRT colors i was getting definitely turned out to be the SCART to component adapter! tested on gunsmith's setup and yeah, it's that.

bought it last april but didn't have a chance to properly fuck with it for a while, good news is the seller is cool and is sending a replacement. can't wait for proper trinotron colors!

Khaz

so, the weird CRT colors i was getting definitely turned out to be the SCART to component adapter! tested on gunsmith's setup and yeah, it's that.

bought it last april but didn't have a chance to properly fuck with it for a while, good news is the seller is cool and is sending a replacement. can't wait for proper trinotron colors!

Isn't it one of those that need to be tweaked a bit? Like tuning pots from inside?

entremet

Ever think we'll see hobbyist groups manufacturing modern CRTs (if that makes sense at all) for gaming?

No because of economies of scale. The supply chain and factories that used to make CRTs have been repurposed. Also the amount of people who would buy them would in the tens of thousands at most.

Not a huge audience.

Narroo

Hey guys, have and tricks?

I'm playing a PS2 on a HD TV via RGB, and there are some nasty artifacts in Devil May Cry 3. (Vertical lines, and what not.) Anyone have any tricks for this?

(Actually, can't you use a cheat disc to force the PS2 to running in 480i?)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I must say, one odd benefit of a 4K display is the ability to easily snap pictures of them. This is just an iPhone 6+ shot of Contra 3 running on an OLED display. Less bloomed in real life, of course. Not a 1-chip SNES hence the slight blur.

HDac.png

Rich!

How does the framemeister set to 720p look on a 4k set on integer scaling mode?

I imagine it would be much better than on a 1080p set - is it?

I still haven't got my Samsung yet lol

televator

I question that. Does 1080p (in general)also look better on a 4K set then on a 1080p set?

I have my doubts but some people have made that claim.

Why would that be analogous? 720p -> 1080p = not an even scale, 720p -> 4K = a 3x even scale, 1080p -> 4k = an even 2x scale

Barring other processes like CSC that can create more aliasing (along with the infamous chroma shift) if done improperly by many dispalys and devices, 720p resolution looks better on a 4K display than a 1080 one. 1080p is also an even scale to 4K. If the 4K display is good at what it does it will at the very least look identical to a 1080p display in processing a 1080 native image.

entremet

I must say, one odd benefit of a 4K display is the ability to easily snap pictures of them. This is just an iPhone 6+ shot of Contra 3 running on an OLED display. Less bloomed in real life, of course. Not a 1-chip SNES hence the slight blur.

HDac.png
What model tv is this?

Maxpacker

These things have S-Video? Or are you using an S-Video to RGB converter? I though it was only RGB and composite--Front inputs.

No it has composite in the front and luma/chroma inputs in the back for commodore computers made at the time. I had to make a homemade s-video adapter that hooks into the luma/chroma inputs.

lIZxPY1l.jpg

RetroRGB opened up pre-orders for SCART/JP21 switches again but they need 30 pre-orders or they won't make any JP21 switches. I feel so much despair right now.

latest

Why do you guys use SCART instead of JP21? The XRGB-3 uses JP21 so it only made sense for me to buy all my cables in that form. Is it because there's more documentation on SCART? Can you make SCART run at 60 FPS?

TeaJay

Why do you guys use SCART instead of JP21? The XRGB-3 uses JP21 so it only made sense for me to buy all my cables in that form. Is it because there's more documentation on SCART? Can you make SCART run at 60 FPS?

Here in Europe our TV's and systems mostly come with RGB scart options to begin with.

Bar81

RetroRGB opened up pre-orders for SCART/JP21 switches again but they need 30 pre-orders or they won't make any JP21 switches. I feel so much despair right now.

Thanks for updating. Sounds like it could be his last JP21 run one way or another. I'm in for two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom