• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

antibolo

Banned
Hey all, I'm about to make a six hour drive to Cali to pick up a PVM this weekend. At first, I was looking at the Sony BVM-20F1U, which is supposed to be one of Sony's top tiers (I think the 20E1U does 1000 lines as opposed to 800 or 900 that the F1U does) but then I saw it didn't do S-video. I'm hoping to have all of my consoles outputting RGB at one point, but I'd still rather have the option for S-video.

The buyer then told me the PVM 20L5 would be a good choice because it uses the same tube as the BVM 20F1U, has the S-video and is self terminating (?) I know what I'm asking is real specific, but can anyone confirm that? It's tough to find information other than what's scattered on message boards, so I'll keep looking, but I thought I'd ask Gaf while I search.

Typing "PVM 20L5" in Google gave me this as the second result:
http://www.cev.ca/production/Sony_PVM14L5-brochure-english.pdf

Should answer any questions you had.

I saw that, but didn't see whether or not this model is an equivalent to BVM 20F1U. Should I just be going off lines amount as far as determining the specific quality of the tube (Sony 800 lines is as good as any other Sony 800 lines set)?

Dizzy-4U

So I finally bought the XRGB mini today. It will be arriving in 7 days or so.

These are the SCART cables that it comes with:

- Sega Genesis/Mega Drive European SCART
- Playstation 1/2 European SCART
- Sega Saturn European SCART
- Neo Geo European SCART
- Pure SYNC SCART adapter

Now, I think the Pure SYNC adapter is to convert the European SCART so they can work on the XBRG-mini. I love 60hz and I despise 50hz PAL with all my heart. Will I have any issues using these cables with my NTSC consoles?

Also, the seller bought all the SCART cables from retrogamingcables.co.uk. Are they considered to be good quality or should I start looking for proper japanese SCART cables?

I bought the auction mainly for the XGRB of course, so all these cables are a plus.

antibolo

Banned
I saw that, but didn't see whether or not this model is an equivalent to BVM 20F1U. Should I just be going off lines amount as far as determining the specific quality of the tube (Sony 800 lines is as good as any other Sony 800 lines set)?

800 vertical lines is already a lot more than any retro console has ever rendered, and is even higher than standard DVD quality (720 lines). I don't see the point in going any higher.

I hooked up my xrgb mini today and I've got a problem, I can't get anything via the rgb scart, just sound, all I see is a blue screen which says no input.

I've tried difference scart cables, took the scart switches out, directly connected to the pc engine rgb scart lead and the wii rgb scart lead and still the same.

I am not using the supplied scart adaptor, I bought one from retrogamingcables, the one with the built in sync stripper, I am thinking it must be that that is at fault, cos nothing seems to work through it, rgb modded n64, 60hz modded pal snes, jap saturn, modded megadrive, pal wii, rgb modded pc engine, surely they cant all be incompatiable?

I've even discconnected the s video cable and compnent to D cable, just to make sure, just to confirm my xrgb works over component and s video

Peagles

I hooked up my xrgb mini today and I've got a problem, I can't get anything via the rgb scart, just sound, all I see is a blue screen which says no input.

I've tried difference scart cables, took the scart switches out, directly connected to the pc engine rgb scart lead and the wii rgb scart lead and still the same.

I am not using the supplied scart adaptor, I bought one from retrogamingcables, the one with the built in sync stripper, I am thinking it must be that that is at fault, cos nothing seems to work through it, rgb modded n64, 60hz modded pal snes, jap saturn, modded megadrive, pal wii, rgb modded pc engine, surely they cant all be incompatiable?

I've even discconnected the s video cable and compnent to D cable, just to make sure, just to confirm my xrgb works over component and s video

I wouldn't rule it out. I got a SNES RGB SCART cable from retrogamingcables and it just plain didn't work, well it was crazy and wouldn't sync, so I had them send me a replacement.

Granted what I got was this:
rgbwavy.gif

But still, it does mean they can make mistakes in their wiring.

After working my ass off tonight I finally got to do something I've been wanting to for a bit now. The jacks could look better, but it's not made to be pretty. It's made to be functional. Game Gear modded for RGB and S-video, as well as a controller port for a Master System Controller. Made with Tim Worthington's GGTV board. Super happy with how it turned out.

Only slightly more useful than my RGB 3DO though.

That's cool! I'd love a consolized Game Gear.

I wouldn't rule it out. I got a SNES RGB SCART cable from retrogamingcables and it just plain didn't work, well it was crazy and wouldn't sync, so I had them send me a replacement.

Granted what I got was this:
rgbwavy.gif

But still, it does mean they can make mistakes in their wiring.
I'm currently trying to troubleshoot a weird magenta (on N64) / no image (on SNES) mod or cable issue. It's kind of maddening, to be honest. Hoping it's just the cable!
That's cool! I'd love a consolized Game Gear.
Any excuse to post this is good enough for me: http://www.lcv.ne.jp/~mgs1987/sega/gg10.html
After working my ass off tonight I finally got to do something I've been wanting to for a bit now. The jacks could look better, but it's not made to be pretty. It's made to be functional. Game Gear modded for RGB and S-video, as well as a controller port for a Master System Controller. Made with Tim Worthington's GGTV board. Super happy with how it turned out.

Only slightly more useful than my RGB 3DO though.
No way, that's amazing. Didn't know you tinkered with Game Gears... Mind hasn't turned on in years. It's in phenomenal condition, just died in a drawer one day.

baphomet

There's basically a 100% chance the capacitors have failed. It's pretty easy to swap them, but kinda tedious. Even with brand new capacitors the screen is just super low quality unfortunately.

800 vertical lines is already a lot more than any retro console has ever rendered, and is even higher than standard DVD quality (720 lines). I don't see the point in going any higher.
Yeah I know (although there are people who insist going 600+lines provides a better looking picture and swear up and down they've done side by side comparisons) My point was whether or not the visual quality was same as the BVM 20F1U which is in the same league as the BVM 20E1U (which is widely considered as one of the best BVMs)

But anyway I'll drop it. I'm settled on picking up the PVM 20L5

There's basically a 100% chance the capacitors have failed. It's pretty easy to swap them, but kinda tedious. Even with brand new capacitors the screen is just super low quality unfortunately.
Oh right, I remember reading about that years ago. I may hit you up on that if you're willing, though I could stand to teach myself some of this!

Also, in bigger news... ANALOGUE is back with a beauty:
IJajkqI.jpg

http://www.analogueinteractive.com/index.php/analogue-nt

Machined aluminum, NES/Famicom, RGB, not emulation based. Orders happening at the end of March... OMG.

Dizzy-4U

Did anyone have any issues with Solaris Japan in the past?

I'm trying to buy the D-Terminal to component cable, but when I go to the checkout and select paypal, it goes back to my shopping cart (the "other" paypal option is for credit cards).

I tried 3 different browsers and 2 different PCs, it can't be on my end, right? Tech support told me it was my computer....

baphomet

Did anyone have any issues with Solaris Japan in the past?

I'm trying to buy the D-Terminal to component cable, but when I go to the checkout and select paypal, it goes back to my shopping cart (the "other" paypal option is for credit cards).

I tried 3 different browsers and 2 different PCs, it can't be on my end, right? Tech support told me it was my computer....

I got this one in about a week from a guy on ebay. Also bought a few couplers for a couple more dollars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271171207210?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Not sure how much it was on solaris, but this one came brand new in sony packaging and works great.

Oh right, I remember reading about that years ago. I may hit you up on that if you're willing, though I could stand to teach myself some of this!

IJajkqI.jpg

Machined aluminum, NES/Famicom, RGB, not emulation based. Orders happening at the end of March... OMG.
mydiiiiiick.jpg

My diiiiiiiiick. This sounds and looks incredible. I've never heard of Analogue Interactive though.

Lynd7

So, with these Broadcast Monitors like the PVM. When you have an RGB connection from an old system, do you plug them directly into the monitor, or do you have to go through some other cable connection first?

baphomet

So, with these Broadcast Monitors like the PVM. When you have an RGB connection from an old system, do you plug them directly into the monitor, or do you have to go through some other cable connection first?

They go through a scart to BNC cable.

TheWraith

IJajkqI.jpg

Wouldn't the Retron5 console that's supposedly out in early April be more interesting then this as it plays Nes/fami/snes/genesis and has more upscaling functions?

IrishNinja

Site member and Framemeister re-seller Yakumo has put up a short video walking through how to update the firmware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Oi3IQW5WA8

helpful! though after my last update, i couldn't really turn scanlines off...gotta mess with that later tonight

Wouldn't the Retron5 console that's supposedly out in early April be more interesting then this as it plays Nes/fami/snes/genesis and has more upscaling functions?

err yes and no? depending on what you're looking for.

1) analogue says they're not emulating, but also not gutting old NES' here; rather, they're rebuilding them from the ground up. we'll have to wait & see how this goes but the quality of their consolized MVS was quite high so i'm hopeful this'll go well, even if i've no need for one myself. i'm willing to bet the end product will be more faithful to the NES/fami experience than then Retron will be for the Genesis.
also, FDS is something you don't see many other places.

2) upscaling options are great but it's still an android emulator vs an RGB modded NES, which i personally think looks amazing.

it's all approximation: if the Retron does things well enough for your purposes, it's gonna play more systems for sure, but i'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't a pretty large visual difference for NES/fami stuff between these two.

As I understand the difference is software emulation v. hardware reproduction?

other forums have seen a few details here & there but yeah, that's exactly what it looks like to me - unveiling should be soon though!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'd take my existing Windows laptop with HDMI out before I'd ever consider spending money on an emulator box like the Retron series.

Has anyone had any luck finding a well reviewed SCART switch box? I've looked up most of the models mentioned on VideoGamePerfection.com and I can't find any of them. The Hama box is on Amazon.co.uk but they won't ship to the US.

I found this one on the bay but I'm still trying to make sure it's a good selector. It has five inputs so that's awesome, but I'd hate for signal degradation. The feedback for the unit seems to check out but I can't find any reviews on it otherwise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Way-Scart...es_Adapters&hash=item565c0e51eb#ht_2951wt_794

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I want that thing.

Hopefully, it'll turn out well. Thing's a beaut, and I don't want to resort to some piece of shit emulation box like the Retron.

TheWraith

I want that thing.

Hopefully, it'll turn out well. Thing's a beaut, and I don't want to resort to some piece of shit emulation box like the Retron.

Why would it be a piece of shit, have you played it? All feedback from testers so far said it had no issues and was lag-free.

TnK

Can't wait for them to release a SNES one. Not that huge of a fan of the NES, though some games are incredible.

antibolo

Banned
Has anyone had any luck finding a well reviewed SCART switch box? I've looked up most of the models mentioned on VideoGamePerfection.com and I can't find any of them. The Hama box is on Amazon.co.uk but they won't ship to the US.

I found this one on the bay but I'm still trying to make sure it's a good selector. It has five inputs so that's awesome, but I'd hate for signal degradation. The feedback for the unit seems to check out but I can't find any reviews on it otherwise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Way-Scart...es_Adapters&hash=item565c0e51eb#ht_2951wt_794

That's a Banbridge switch, they kick ass. I have the exact same model, bought from amazon.co.uk.

Peagles

Why would it be a piece of shit, have you played it? All feedback from testers so far said it had no issues and was lag-free.

Nobody who tests these things seems to notice the same crap I do. Just look at the NeoGeoX Gold, the only person who showed the device for what it was got dissed for their honest youtube review, but they were the only ones to point out the terrible inaccuracies of the emulation. Most average people just don't have an eye for this kind of thing.

I'm not saying it's going to be crap for sure. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

baphomet

A $99 box that emulates like 7 or 8 systems isn't going to do any of them as well as the actual console. Your phone is probably as good at emulating as the retron.

I want that thing.

Dizzy-4U

I got this one in about a week from a guy on ebay. Also bought a few couplers for a couple more dollars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271171207210?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Not sure how much it was on solaris, but this one came brand new in sony packaging and works great.
Thanks for the link. Yeah, I still can't get Solaris to take my money so I'll have to look for an alternative.

Anyways, has anyone tried to use a receiver pluged in to the XRGB through hdmi? That might be a confortable option for me (components cables connected to the receiver, hdmi out from the receiver to the XRGB) but I'm worried about the receiver adding more input lag.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I still can't get Solaris to take my money so I'll have to look for an alternative.

Anyways, has anyone tried to use a receiver pluged in to the XRGB through hdmi? That might be a confortable option for me (components cables connected to the receiver, hdmi out from the receiver to the XRGB) but I'm worried about the receiver adding more input lag.

I use my reciever as a component video switch, however I would avoid using hdmi out from the reciever and use component video out, if it has it, my reciever, which is part of the sony ES range, ie mid range, has a built in faroudja dcdi video processor chip that is a complete piece of crap, though if your reciever looks fine outputting hdmi then by all means, but I would go with component out if you have the option, and make sure you select direct if your reciever has any sort of video upscaling processing options, let the xrgb handle that.

I'm no expert but I would imagine transcoding component video to hdmi would incur some lag, especially if your reciever upscales the video, also its another hdmi device in the hdmi daisy chain that requires the handshaking with other devices which may incur lag, don't quote me but I think the xbox 360 and ps3 incur 1 frame of lag due to the hdmi handshaking, or that may just be ps3, I know for sure component video is 1 frame less laggy on one of those systems.

I really don't know what to do with my xrgb mini, if I had bought it from a UK seller this thing would be going right back, £300 plus I've spent on this thing, thel unit itself is nice and small but having the rgb and svideo connections on the front is not good, the remote is not great, you have to point the thing directly at it for it to register and the buttons on the remote do not feel great either, and you'll be fiddling around using the remote allot, the interface is not great

The lack of an instruction manual in english is really gonna cause people trouble, make sure you look at the wiki as some picture modes are not suitable for 480p, as picture mode is not suitable for 480i. including all those horrid adaptors to make things work with it, and thats the problem most things don't work with it, the rgb interface is somewhat finnecky

N64 works and looks stunning, but I get intermittent dropouts, picture desyncing, random colured lines every few minutes, I guess its all down to how the system is rgb modded, mine was modded with a sony rgb dac, but the system works fine on my tv direct

PAL modded SNES works but you have to fiddle with the AD level and sync level everytime and the picture messes up with some images, like the title screen to zombies ate my neighbours, the xrgb cant handle that for some reason

Megadrive works

Saturn could not get it to sync properly despite fiddling around in the menu for over half an hour, so class this as not working

PC Engine works but get horrible interference for some unknown reason, looks fine when directly connected to tv

PAL 3do over svideo works but looks atracious, not an improvement over connecting it directly to tv, could not get scanlines a, only scanline b which don't look right no matter how much you fiddle around the settings, horrible motion artefacts on all picutre modes, didnt fill the screen properly

Wii over rgb works

Anything over component works fine though there is low level interference, but its not very noticeable at all to be honest, though 480i is not displayed properly for some reason, I had to set my xrgb to 16:9 and tv to 4:3 to get it to fill the screen properly

I feel really peeved off and massively dissapointed with this thing, I've spent nearly countless hours preparing my console setup for this thing, even more hours fiddling around with it, when it works it looks great don't get me wrong, but this thing is nowhere near being plug and play, to anything who is thinking of getting one be prepared for a steep learning curve, looking to the internet for answers, lots of fiddling around with settings, trying different cables, perhaps even having to buy completely new consoles, even when you do get some consoles working, having to change the sync level, the ad level, switching over to 16:9 and switching the tv to 4:3 to get different consoles looking right is just a massive ballache to me, I think I may sell the xrgb and get a slg in a box, that thing looks more plug and play, sure I'll be missing out on 240p, quality deinterlacing and upscaling to 720p, but if all you want is scanlines that thing seems a cheaper and more straighforward alternative, aslong as your tv has a vga input.

IrishNinja

my XRGB officially ignores my desires when turning v-line scalines off, it doesn't make them go away like it did before my last firmware update...curious. it's horizontal actions (jumps etc) that makes them go wonky, i'm told this might be my tv's internal scaler or something but i need to mess with it tonight to see why they're not going away anymore.

baphomet

Sounds like issues with cables or the mods themselves. I have every one of those plus more hooked up via rgb and the only time I change any settings are when I go from 240p to 480i/p and my neogeo needs the scanlines v position from 32 to 33. Otherwise I've never had a single issue getting any of the 240p consoles working perfectly.

No idea why your scanlines wouldn't be turning off Irish.

Peagles

^ For the Saturn, I'm sure I've read something here about the cable needing to be specific, particularly with an NTSC Saturn and the XRGB. It's an issue others have encountered and solved.

plc268

my XRGB officially ignores my desires when turning v-line scalines off, it doesn't make them go away like it did before my last firmware update...curious. it's horizontal actions (jumps etc) that makes them go wonky, i'm told this might be my tv's internal scaler or something but i need to mess with it tonight to see why they're not going away anymore.

Are you sure you're not in meister mode? Because if you are, it'll show scanlines regardless of vline setting.

Also, you'll gets some "scanlines" if you're inputting a 480i source. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Dizzy-4U

I use my reciever as a component video switch, however I would avoid using hdmi out from the reciever and use component video out, if it has it, my reciever, which is part of the sony ES range, ie mid range, has a built in faroudja dcdi video processor chip that is a complete piece of crap, though if your reciever looks fine outputting hdmi then by all means, but I would go with component out if you have the option, and make sure you select direct if your reciever has any sort of video upscaling processing options, let the xrgb handle that.

I'm no expert but I would imagine transcoding component video to hdmi would incur some lag, especially if your reciever upscales the video, also its another hdmi device in the hdmi daisy chain that requires the handshaking with other devices which may incur lag, don't quote me but I think the xbox 360 and ps3 incur 1 frame of lag due to the hdmi handshaking, or that may just be ps3, I know for sure component video is 1 frame less laggy on one of those systems.
I see. Yeah, the issue I'm having right now is that I don't have the D-Terminal yet so component out from the reciever is impossible. So I guess I'll have to test between componenet through reciever to HDMI or S-Video directly to the XRGB.

Anyways, it's all hypotetical crap in my head, I'll wait till the XRGB arrives next week. Thanks for the info.

IrishNinja

Are you sure you're not in meister mode? Because if you are, it'll show scanlines regardless of vline setting.

Also, you'll gets some "scanlines" if you're inputting a 480i source. That's all I can think of at the moment.

i was just thinking this too, gonna double check that it's on natural or picture...thanks man! i'll let you guys know, it's puzzling cause again, same cables as before, nothing changed but the firmware. maybe i hit a button by accident.

Peagles

You guys think a 14inch PVM with hardly any use is worth $200?

I don't think so personally. It depends how often they turn up locally for you though. If pretty much never, it might be worth snagging if you really want one...

I got my 14" PVM for $50NZD also with hardly any use. I overpaid too compared to other auctions, the last few sold here locally for around $20-40 (though they often aren't tested and can be a bit of a gamble). To me $200 just seems a bit much, even in NZD let alone USD.

IrishNinja

so of course framemeister mode was on...problem solved! now, to adjust them to diminish the vertical scrolling effect thicker scanlines are having (at 720p; not trying them at 1080p since i'm told that kinda breaks them).

Lynd7

Yeah, I may hold out for something else. I live in Australia though, and it doesn't seem they pop up too often.

Well I've got most consoles working now, definetly keeping this thing, streets of rage 2, wowzers does that look amazing, does anyone else get this weird banding? In the dark green areas, I've seen it in other games when there is a large area that is nothing but a plain usually dark colour (dark green in the image)

Its not there when scanlines are turned off and it occurs on several consoles, was wondering whether is my plasma responsible (I've heard plasmas suffer from something called "banding") or an incorrect setting in the xrgb, though the scalines on the rest of the image look correct?

^ For the Saturn, I'm sure I've read something here about the cable needing to be specific, particularly with an NTSC Saturn and the XRGB. It's an issue others have encountered and solved.

Yes I think it can be solved, something about pin 1 i think it is doing something completely different on a ntsc saturn compared to a pal saturn which most saturn scart cables are designed to be used with.

Anyways, it's all hypotetical crap in my head, I'll wait till the XRGB arrives next week. Thanks for the info.

About the lag, I think the ps3 is a frame laggier on hdmi because it incorporates HDCP, not sure whether your amp would impose HDCP for everything going out on hdmi, you can check in the menu of the xrgb though, go to special; full status, there you can scroll right through about 4 or 5 bits of information such as whether the input had hdcp and it actually tells you how much lag the processing of the xrgb is incurring, though I'm not sure how accurate it is.

One thing I will say is don't have all your consoles hoooked up into switches and amps prior to getting the xrgb, well scart consoles anyways, component should be fine, but I made the mistake of hooking all my scart machines up into switches etc and it took me literally all day of unhooking stuff, plugging it in directly, switching between the normal euroscrt to jap scart convertor, trying the one with the sync stripper, trying it through a scart swithc, trying different leads etc etc, was a complete nightmare trying to pin the weak leaks, (the trilogy 2 scart switcher and a scart lead) its much better with scart consoles to plug them in directly and make sure they work with the xrgb.

Cross posting from the genesis thread but does anyone here do s-video and stero mods for model 1 genesis or know someone who does?

Can't help you with that sorry, but I was wondering: is using the headphone out socket on the megadrive 1 the only way to get stereo sound?

I've seen special scart cables advertised as PROVIDES STEREO SOUND! that come with a seperate lead to plug into the headphone socket.

baphomet

Aww yea. Pretty much the last console I wanted to get in RGB. I got a good deal on one earlier from a local game shop so I picked it up. I have a few games on order (Tempest 2000, AvP, Kasumi Ninja, etc) as well as an RGB cable. I couldn't wait until then so I ghetto'd some RGB output for the time being. Also ordered some stuff to make a Tempest 2000 rotary controller.

Boot Screen

Super Burnout

Where did you learn to drive

http://youtu.be/d-z7gGYe9Eo
Gameplay of Super Burnout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom