• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Retail Musings [1/20 - 2/2]

Gozan

AlteredBeast said:
PSP -

Kids kind of convince themselves (or their parents help them) to buy a certain game, as if they have no prior knowledge of the system's games before they come in. This is the only system I routinely see this happen on. It seems like everywhere else, kids and adults know exactly what their options and what they are looking for is before they get in.

This is probably because the first thing they learn when searching for info on PSP games is how to pirate them.

I'm not kidding. A Google search gives you four hits on the first page to warez. Not even googling "free PSP games". Just "PSP games".

Jewbacca

Banned
Why does he need to stop this? He is posting trends from a #3 largest bigbox retailer in the united states. And he is right and not biased :p I can see his numbas.

scitek

Jewbacca said:
Why does he need to stop this? He is posting trends from a #3 largest bigbox retailer in the united states. And he is right and not biased :p I can see his numbas.

Really? Printing signs costs the equivalent of leasing a factory to up production on the Wii?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm going to put Microsoft at 99k for the month in my predictions. Their shortage is that dire.

Snah

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
I'm going to put Microsoft at 99k for the month in my predictions. Their shortage is that dire.

They'll be above 99k...if their situation was that dire, they'd be sold out on Amazon.com.

Saitou

Banned
scitek said:
Really? Printing signs costs the equivalent of leasing a factory to up production on the Wii?
You've never worked in retail, then?

Try answering thirty+ calls per day asking about a Wii with a negative response and let's see how much love you have for Nintendo.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Jewbacca said:
Printing signs? What the fuck are you talking about.

He was being sarcastic. Wow..... the sense of humor is null today here on GAF. OP, keep up the threads, I enjoy them!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I saw a guy pick up several Wii games, look at them, put them back, and turn to his wife/girlfriend and she nodded here head in disapproval. They then walked over and looked at TV's. HDTV's, no less. I walked away and pondered about what I would have for lunch. I saw a PS3 in a clerk's hands as I was walking out. No idea where it was going. When I walked out of the store, I thought it was great it was so warm in February. I decided to go get some wings for lunch.

Snah

Banned
Psychotext said:
Elite is sold out there, that's hardly a good sign.

True, but Elite is a much smaller component of the overall XB360 market.

The best selling model, and most readily produces model, still is in stock.

Andy787 said:
Normally I would say these kinds of threads are stupid and meaningless, but considering your store manages to sell one next generation console in a span of merely fourteen days, I think it is important to get this information out.

Mojovonio

Banned
AlteredBeast said:
360 - Entering week 3 without 360s, other than 2 arcades that we received. During this musings period, we received none, and therefore sold none. Needless to say, MS is retarded. Not in the Nintendo sense. Nintendo at least has incredible and unparalled worldwide demand to deal with. Microsoft has 1 strong territory to deal with and can't even supply that one well. Every retail store in America that wants them should be fully stocked with 360's. If the 360 breaks 150,000 in the USA in January's NPD, I will be shocked.

:lol

That's fucking awesome.

WTF are they doing?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Oh god:lol That was great. Thanks to MS's shipping...PS3 outsold 360...1 to 0:lol I don't know which to laugh at more. PS3 only selling 1 while in stock, compared to MS's being stupid and shipping none

Avrum

I have to agree on the "No Wii in stock" sign. I got one at my store as well which was unnecessary because my manager simply printed up his own on the computer, so Nintendo's version works just as well except two things:

1. Yeah, Nintendo's looks nicer
2. Oh yeah, doesn't work at all. Granted, obviously the sign can't stop the calls, but despite the printed sign at the entrance and the one from Nintendo at the counter, we still get people asking about Wiis. It eventually got to the point where I would simply point at the sign to get the point across, but now I verbally tell them since one woman got pissed off that I couldn't at least simply "tell her."

I'm also surprised at the lack of Nintendo DS shipments however considering that new Cobalt/Black color is set to release in a week's time or so. How in the world do they plan to launch this thing when they can barely ship enough of the previous incarnations?

DenogginizerOS said:
I saw a guy pick up several Wii games, look at them, put them back, and turn to his wife/girlfriend and she nodded here head in disapproval. They then walked over and looked at TV's. HDTV's, no less. I walked away and pondered about what I would have for lunch. I saw a PS3 in a clerk's hands as I was walking out. No idea where it was going. When I walked out of the store, I thought it was great it was so warm in February. I decided to go get some wings for lunch.

Wow, wings are so popular! It looks like hamburgers might be in for a rough month come the NPDs.

the 360 is supply contrained.. in some parts.. i was at best buy on sat here in san antonio and they had maybe 7 pro's.. new box without the game pack in.. i saw one lady pick one up

i also saw some guy talking his friend into buying a HD DVD player... and thats where I stepped in............

Sharp

Phoenix Down said:
the 360 is supply contrained.. in some parts.. i was at best buy on sat here in san antonio and they had maybe 7 pro's.. new box without the game pack in.. i saw one lady pick one up

i also saw some guy talking his friend into buying a HD DVD player... and thats where I stepped in............
It's good to see someone around here cares about other people's purchases. And on that note, is anyone else going to post retail musings? I think that might somewhat quell the accusations of illegitimacy that currently haunt this thread.

Subitai

Not much different at my store. We got ~30 Wii's & 2 shipments of ~20 premium 360s and they sold out in after a couple days. Sold out of the last 10 or so 80 gig PS3s and 1 or 2 40 gigs sell each day.

RBH

At my local Best Buy, there's still only 360 Arcade systems and 40GB PS3s available. Didn't see a Premium, Elite, or 80GB PS3 for the entire month of January.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Sharp said:
It's good to see someone around here cares about other people's purchases. Speaking of which, is anyone else going to post retail musings? I think that might somewhat quell the accusations of illegitimacy that currently haunt this thread.
I think the NPD threads do a pretty good job of giving out proper sales data. I see trends in the stores I frequent that are often opposite of the OP. For example, I saw a lot of PS3's sold a couple of weeks ago after the Blu-ray deal. However, I hear from people at my Best Buy that sales are fairly flat across the board but they often concur that is more perception than reality due to the post-Christmas funk that often settles in after the craziness of December. And I think that sales on all fronts in the US on things such as DVDs, games, music, etc. are strained by the economy and their weakness may not be attributable to one console's strength over another. If anything, sales are slow across the board.

Perhaps MS is putting a load of its new 360s aside to use for RROD cases, maybe they are finally taking the initiative and trying to get the old Xenon boards out of the supply chain. January is generally a quiet month, perhaps they are using this time to finally get rid of all those dodgy refurbs hanging around and replace them with brand spanking new Falcons.

Or, this is probably more likely, MS is busy stockpiling a load of new 360s so they can "Stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap" when the GTA4 marketing push begins.

Target is the only retailer who hasn't seen ANY wiis in the past 4 weeks. The others are getting regular shipments now. Gamestop is especially seeing much larger shipments.

Not sure about 360, but I see tons of them around here. Must be arcades.

theBishop

Banned
Are you the only person working in your retail location? It seems pretty ridiculous to speak for the total sales of your entire department. When I worked at Circuit City, I definitely didn't keep tabs on what happened off my shift.

Agent Icebeezy

theBishop said:
Are you the only person working in your retail location? It seems pretty ridiculous to speak for the total sales of your entire department. When I worked at Circuit City, I definitely didn't keep tabs on what happened off my shift.

He does it for the sake of this thread. Many of us are grateful that he and others do this. We like to predict for NPD. This bit of info helps tremendously.

theBishop

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
He does it for the sake of this thread. Many of us are grateful that he and others do this. We like to predict for NPD. This bit of info helps tremendously.

"He does it for the sake of the thread"? Isn't that obvious?

Somehow I don't think Michael Pachter is pulling data from Alter's "musings".

Agent Icebeezy

theBishop said:
"He does it for the sake of the thread"? Isn't that obvious?

Somehow I don't think Michael Pachter is pulling data from Alter's "musings".

No, I'm sure that Michael is looking at things we've never dreamed of. However, for the home analyst, we'll take anything that we can get. A lot of people might have blindly put down 400k for the Wii for January, but since we know that both the Wii and 360 is scarce, we have a better chance at predicting a figure. If this thread bothers you that much, don't participate in it.

theBishop

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
No, I'm sure that Michael is looking at things we've never dreamed of. However, for the home analyst, we'll take anything that we can get. A lot of people might have blindly put down 400k for the Wii for January, but since we know that both the Wii and 360 is scarce, we have a better chance at predicting a figure. If this thread bothers you that much, don't participate in it.

yeah... I think i'm going to take your advice...

sprocket

Banned
Synth_floyd said:
Why does OP need to stop this? It's just one guy posting what it's like at his store.

because him and his one store means nothing.

also you have the added condescending ps3 remarks in each thread.

In a stunning upset (and thanks to MS' terrible shipment strategy), the PS3 outsold the 360 infinitely better. In the last two weeks, the tally is 1 PS3 to 0 360's. Better luck next time, MS! Congrats are definitely in order for Sony and their 1 console sale in my store across the last 14 days. I can see why this might be, btw. Target had a deal on Sony Blu-Ray standalones with a 100 dollar gift card deal this last week and that diverted people away from the PS3 and towards the standalone, imo. PS3s of both models (the 80 GB model is NOT discontinued at Target, btw) are in full supply across the region, totaling no less than 120 in stock across 10 stores.

this is just another way to bash the ps3.

Mojovonio

Banned
So I did a quick search on the Futureshop site to see is some Quebec and Ontario stores had the 20gb in stock, all 4 stores had them.

sprocket said:
this is just another way to bash the ps3.

You're getting fucking annoying.

Agent Icebeezy

theBishop said:
yeah... I think i'm going to take your advice...

We guess these numbers for fun, at least I do. I honestly don't know why you are freaking out about this. If it bothers you that much, post in another thread. It's that simple. The information that was posted by the OP is welcome by many of us. Some of us like to talk about sales-age. Those that don't can find another thread. From what he is saying, it pretty consistent to what I've seen with my own two eyes. I live in Merrillville, Indiana and I had to drive to Indianapolis for an Arcade because my local stores were out of everything. I had been holding out for an Elite for 2 months and they come and go at a sporadic pace. There aren't any Wiis anywhere and 80GB>40GB in sales. However, seeing that this is replicated at a different location adds considerable weight to how I will pick my numbers.

sprocket

Banned
I should start a weekly " What console got played the most at my house this week " Thread.

Last week would be .. XBOX been playing fable the lost chapters .. I love that game.

Wait I forgot the condescending remarks!

Ps3- the DMC4 demo got a lot of play time but it doesn't take long to master a demo. best game on the system is a demo lol!

360- lol I turn it on by accident lol!

Wii- As always I got all the stars on one planet of mario galaxy and wont play it again for another month. They should have named in monthly galaxy! lol!

Threi

notag
sprocket said:
I should start a weekly " What console got played the most at my house this week " Thread.

Last week would be .. XBOX been playing fable the lost chapters .. I love that game.

Wait I forgot the condescending remarks!

Ps3- the DMC4 demo got a lot of play time but it doesn't take long to master a demo. best game on the system is a demo lol!

360- lol I turn it on by accident lol!

Wii- As always I got all the stars on one planet of mario galaxy and wont play it again for another month. They should have named in monthly galaxy! lol!

US Residential Musings [2/04 - 2/04]

Anyway, here is the Wii shipment situation from the eyes of a Wii scalper in San Diego metro.

Walmart: Has been getting much smaller shipments compared to the holidays. Most stores got 6 last week, and the week before that? measly 3. They used to get 12 per week.

Best Buy: Also much smaller shipments. They haven't gotten any lst week, and got about 12 each store a week before. They used to get kore than 40 per store every two weeks.

Toys R Us. Got 12-8 two weeks ago, with some stores getting 6 or less the next day. None last week.

Circuit City. Got 7-10 per store two weeks ago, got much larger shipments yesterday, but that isn't really saying much since the increase was only by about 3-5.

Target. None in the last 4 weeks.

Gamestop. Now here's the motherload. After about a 2 week drough in mid-January, Gamestop broke the cycle by having 10-15+++ each store. That doesn't seem like much but get this: They have over 40 stores in San Diego alone, whereas the only other store that is as prolific is walmart, and they only got less than 20 stores. They used to get 3 at a time so it is a definite increase.

The week after the huge gamestop rainshower, stores got an even bigger shipment. Some Mall Gamestops were reported to have seen more than 30o units!

Last week was more modest, with each store getting an average of 6 units or so.

The ebay market actually crashed when Gamestop released all those Wiis, with prices falling by as much as $50. The market has already corrected itself and the weekend Wii scalpers gone, everything is pretty much back to normal.

Suffice to say, I made out like a bandit because of Gamestop in the past two weeks.

Mojovonio

Banned
papelnabangka said:
Anyway, here is the Wii shipment situation from the eyes of a Wii scalper in San Diego metro.

Walmart: Has been getting much smaller shipments compared to the holidays. Most stores got 6 last week, and the week before that? measly 3. They used to get 12 per week.

Best Buy: Also much smaller shipments. They haven't gotten any lst week, and got about 12 each store a week before. They used to get kore than 40 per store every two weeks.

Toys R Us. Got 12-8 two weeks ago, with some stores getting 6 or less the next day. None last week.

Circuit City. Got 7-10 per store two weeks ago, got much larger shipments yesterday, but that isn't really saying much since the increase was only by about 3-5.

Target. None in the last 4 weeks.

Gamestop. Now here's the motherload. After about a 2 week drough in mid-January, Gamestop broke the cycle by having 10-15+++ each store. That doesn't seem like much but get this: They have over 40 stores in San Diego alone, whereas the only other store that is as prolific is walmart, and they only got less than 20 stores. They used to get 3 at a time so it is a definite increase.

What?

How did they pull that off?

Durante

Jewbacca said:
Why does he need to stop this? He is posting trends from a #3 largest bigbox retailer in the united states.
Oh wow :lol

Regardless of which consoles, games or whatever sell at his store, from a statistically literate perspective that is hilarious.

Top Bottom