• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Retail Musings [1/20 - 2/2]

Chumly

diddlyD said:
well, its just consistently you always portray this "wii sells a million, 360 sells half a mil (except when sold out!!!) and ps3 is lucky to sell 2". and we know that can't be normal because npd doesn't reflect that at all. so it just seems like you're some sort of viral marketer or somebody with an agenda. i'm just sayin.
ita hard to believe that a target, let alone 10 of them, is selling next gen consoles as poorly as yours. i think in the hour i spent in target in the last month, i saw more ps3s and 360's sell and i wasn't even paying attention.

Before you get butt hurt about sales you should stop and think for a moment. Why would a target in DECEMBER sell more consoles than in january? Could it be because of christmas? Secondly what kind of store would sell more PS3's and 360's? A family store like target or a gaming store like gamestop or a bestbuy? Honestly you read way to far into his sales info. From what he says sounds pretty much exactly the same as targets in my area.

Snah

Banned
Was just looking at one of the largest retail outlets in the US and heard some interesting info about sales at the national level for this retailer. Didn't get any concrete sales data, but I was informed that the Wii is still sold out (shock), but is obviously selling better than any of the next-gen consoles. PS3 is actually selling quite well, the 80 GB version is outselling the Xbox 360 slightly, which was in stock for the premium version but sold out for the elites. 40 GB PS3 was selling slightly less than the premium 360s as well.

jett

D-Member
Andy787 said:
Normally I would say these kinds of threads are stupid and meaningless, but considering your store manages to sell one next generation console in a span of merely fourteen days, I think it is important to get this information out.

:lol So true.

spwolf

AlteredBeast said:
Well, I don't have an agenda. I am sorry that the PS3 doesn't sell well at Target. Hell, the Wii outsold the 360 4:1 at my store last year. Target is just one facet of the retail market. It is a family store and skews heavily towards family consoles. Gamestop skews the other way. If I worked at a Gamestop, I am sure the consoles selling would be heavily different.

which is the warning that should be on top of every thread like this... every single thread that was posted on GAF with retail info on xmas time told us Wii sold 10x more than 360 and 100000x more than PS3... did that happen? Nope.

Will PS3 outsell 360 in Jan in USA? Very unlikely.

So what is the point of threads if info they contain is completly biased? For fun?

edit: p.s. I am not saying you shouldnt post, just that in reality, info is pretty useless which not everyone realizes.

spwolf said:
which is the warning that should be on top of every thread like this... every single thread that was posted on GAF with retail info on xmas time told us Wii sold 10x more than 360 and 100000x more than PS3... did that happen? Nope.

So what is the point of threads if info they contain is completly biased? For fun?

Well, the order of the consoles is correct at least. What more do you want?

And the info isn't completely biased. People are just reporting on what they see with the limited information they have. The Wii is sold out as soon as stores get them. That doesn't tell you how many they had, of course, but it could be an indication that the Wii is selling well.

I think I dislike the people who cry "troll" at every opportunity more than the actual trolls.

Linkup

spwolf said:

What wii sold 10x threads? I remember two threads about 10:1 software. Yeah these threads are completely biased against PS3 fanboys, like all sales threads are.

Linkup said:
What wii sold 10x threads? I remember two threads about 10:1 software. Yeah these threads are completely biased against PS3 fanboys, like all sales threads are.

We should ban facts! The fanboys are getting upset!

mj1108

spwolf said:

edit: p.s. I am not saying you shouldnt post, just that in reality, info is pretty useless which not everyone realizes.

You of all people should not be calling anyone biased.

hint: AB has been posting threads like this on and off since the PS2/GC/Xbox days. You know what's really funny?

HIS STORE SOLD MAINLY PS2 CONSOLES!

diddlyD said:
well, its just consistently you always portray this "wii sells a million, 360 sells half a mil (except when sold out!!!) and ps3 is lucky to sell 2". and we know that can't be normal because npd doesn't reflect that at all. so it just seems like you're some sort of viral marketer or somebody with an agenda. i'm just sayin.
These musings reflect the sales of each store, not NPD. Stop crying.

spwolf said:

How is Wii being sold out, 360 mostly sold out and PS3 selling bad in any way biased? It's the truth.

Belgorim

Dragona Akehi said:
hint: AB has been posting threads like this on and off since the PS2/GC/Xbox days. You know what's really funny?

You just blew my mind.

My friend works at a local Best Buy and he says that they sold out of their last 80GB PS3 this past weekend. They have a ton of 40GB units that are not selling as well because a lot of customers are asking for the better model with BC. Most people say they want to sell their PS2 :lol The logic makes no sense to me, and he tries to tell them that keeping the PS2 and getting the 40GB for $100 savings is a better deal, but they do not want to hear it.

The store just got a shipment of Pro 360 and they are selling pretty well. When both are in stock, the 360 Pro sells 2:1 to the PS3 40GB.

Wiis are still sold out and they get shipments here and there which sell out in minutes.

A lot of people are buying the PSP, but no games are selling. DS continues to do well.

Burnout is doing really well on both Platforms. About a 3:1 split between the two platforms.
Turok is selling very poorly on both platforms and considering how many the store has in stock it is a huge disappointment so far.
CoD4 continues to sell well all around and sales have actually picked up in January.
The store is selling a huge amount of Carnival Games for the Wii. Endless Ocean is sold out and did much better than they expected.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Not only that, but when providing my data, an accurate nationwide percentile could be extrapolated month in and month out.

Like I said, this isn't a biased thread. I report what happened, at the same time, I find it absolutely retarded that MS and Nintendo can't ship out consoles, and Sony can't sell their next gen system even though they are plentiful across the district. Is it my fault for commenting semi-humorously on such?

As a sidenote, while the 80GB PS3 is the model we sold in these last two weeks. The 40 GB has, on average been outselling the 80GB at my store by a wide-ish margin.

FirstInHell said:
My friend works at a local Best Buy and he says that they sold out of their last 80GB PS3 this past weekend. They have a ton of 40GB units that are not selling as well because a lot of customers are asking for the better model with BC.

That's the best news I've heard for weeks.

Chumly

spwolf said:

:lol :lol

Honestly the info was pretty good if you actually looked at it. But your spywolf so its your job to try and spin everything.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Snah said:
Was just looking at one of the largest retail outlets in the US and heard some interesting info about sales at the national level for this retailer. Didn't get any concrete sales data, but I was informed that the Wii is still sold out (shock), but is obviously selling better than any of the next-gen consoles. PS3 is actually selling quite well, the 80 GB version is outselling the Xbox 360 slightly, which was in stock for the premium version but sold out for the elites. 40 GB PS3 was selling slightly less than the premium 360s as well.
According to your observation they should be selling twice as many PS3s as they are selling 360s.

Arde5643

FirstInHell said:
Endless Ocean is sold out and did much better than they expected.

Woot!

By chance, do you know how many copies they have in the first place?
If there was a marketing effort to have Endless Ocean be shown as the Wii version of Blue Planet, lord knows how many people will want that.

Redd

AlteredBeast said:
As a sidenote, while the 80GB PS3 is the model we sold in these last two weeks. The 40 GB has, on average been outselling the 80GB at my store by a wide-ish margin.

That's some interesting news there i usually see different.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Subarushian said:
Ignore the trolls trying to wag their e-dicks.

Keep posting AB.
Dragona Akehi said:

Sounds like allot of Sony fans are bitter at this:lol They really are worse then Nintendo fans back with N64 and Cube. I mean how does it make him an Xbox fan...just because your consule that you fanboy over isn't doing as good as you hoped. Its just...like...one store now:lol

Wow... there's a lot of angry fanboys in this thread. Don't worry though, the PS3 sales for January will likely be very close to the Wii and the 360.

Snah

Banned
Gadfly said:
According to your observation they should be selling twice as many PS3s as they are selling 360s.

Just calling it like I see it. It's not supposed to be fully representative.

GhaleonEB

Dragona Akehi said:

Clearly, he didn't start being biased until the 360 came out.

And besides, I always take these threads as an opportunity for GAF to collect anecdotal sales reports. AB is just starting the conversation. Some people don't seem to understand that these threads are not all about him.

choodi

Banned
Thanks for the interesting info AB. It is always nice to see anecdotal sales info presented in a way that is not biased in any way.

Keep up the reports and to all that don't like it, don't read the fucking thread.

keep going with this stuff, AlteredBeast and anyone else who works in retail. These threads are so much more interesting than 85%.

So back to your counter and win just one more for the GAFfer!

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
sprocket said:
because him and his one store means nothing.

also you have the added condescending ps3 remarks in each thread.

this is just another way to bash the ps3.

Some of you are really starting to develop a complex.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
spwolf said:

Thank god he doesn't agree with you. Otherwise we'd know he is doing something very wrong.

Snah said:
Just calling it like I see it. It's not supposed to be fully representative.
I have a serious question for you Hans. How hard is it to not let your fanboy rage fly like you do under your other name? Do you have a Jekyll and Hyde personality? It's really amusing how you try to come off as not so biased here, but those that really know what you think see right through it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
AlteredBeast said:
ZealousD - did one of your managers tell you that? Was it a company-wide memo? I wonder why Target is so far off the ball on discontinuing the 80GB version.

I don't have access to company e-mails as a part-timer, so I got the information from my assistant manager. I don't have any reason to believe that he lied or made this up. But the 80GB version has definitely been discontinued.

Snah

Banned
squatingyeti said:
Thank god he doesn't agree with you. Otherwise we'd know he is doing something very wrong.

I have a serious question for you Hans. How hard is it to not let your fanboy rage fly like you do under your other name? Do you have a Jekyll and Hyde personality? It's really amusing how you try to come off as not so biased here, but those that really know what you think see right through it.

The other board is a joke, and it's not moderated. That's a pretty simple explanation. There is no Jekyll and Hide going on. There's no "fanboy rage".

I'm also no more biased than anyone else here. I enjoy all of my consoles (own all of the big 3). I have a preference (as I'm sure most people do), mainly because of the hardware and preference for Sony 1st party efforts. But this preference doesn't carry over into hatred or downplaying of titles on other systems. I want all of my systems to have good games, you know, being a gamer and all.

I'm not sure what you mean by "those that really know me". No one, here or there, knows me any better. It's an internet forum.

Who are you, and why do you care about me so much?

Snah said:

Can't name the retailer, no real sales data, but PS3 outsells the 360.

tanod

when is my burrito
+1 support for the OP and this thread. I do rather enjoy the musings.

It'd be better monthly though and then we could just periodically add things. Personally, I haven't stepped foot in a game store since the first week of this year so I haven't had anything to add lately.

blitz64

These threads are very interesting. I myself is a fan who likes to go to ebgames, browse around, and see what people are buying.

Jewbacca

Banned
Ugh if you want numbers here they are

Numbers marking most of the fiscal year for 2 stores.. (these numbers dont account for Jan week 4 and 5)

These are 2 stores different Target stores... one ranked in the 200's and one ranked in the 800's
We will start with the better of the two.

This is in dollars.

Wii Hardware $247k
Wii Software $204k

PS3 Hardware $49k
PS3 Software $29k

360 Hardware $98k
360 Software $112k

PS2 Hardware $49k
PS2 Software $143k

PSP Hardware $27k
PSP Software $23k

NDS Hardware $109k
NDS Software $116k

Middle of the company store

Wii Hardware $140k
Wii Software $88k

PS3 Hardware $32k
PS3 Software $25k

360 Hardware $80k
360 Software $96k

PS2 Hardware $24k
PS2 Software $165k

PSP Hardware $14k
PSP Software $13k

NDS Hardware $65k
NDS Software $77k

Console skus are combined in these numbers.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
rikitikitik said:
Is it wrong if I read these threads more for the crying than for the numbers? :lol

Nope. It's strange to me why people would reject anecdotal evidence from a variety of sources so passionately. It's as if they don't like the truth and it's easier to deny it if it doesn't come from NPD or MC.

dork

Banned
(work at gamestop also) We have been sold out of 360's since christmas, same with ds's and wiis. Sony is going to outsell the competition by default.

Arde5643

dork said:
(work at gamestop also) We have been sold out of 360's since christmas, same with ds's and wiis. Sony is going to outsell the competition by default.
It will be meltdown funny either way whether they outsell Wii/360 or not come NPD day, judging from the embittered fanboys in this thread. :lol

Arde5643

Jewbacca said:
PS3 Hardware $49k
PS3 Software $29k

PS2 Hardware $49k
PS2 Software $143k

Middle of the company store

PS3 Hardware $32k
PS3 Software $25k

PS2 Hardware $24k
PS2 Software $165k

Console skus are combined in these numbers.
Thanks for the numbers Jewbacca.

PS3 hardware numbers doesn't seem to be inline with what the latest musings have been saying although this might be related to these numbers not covering week 4 and week 5 of Jan.

It's crazy how much PS2 software is outselling even 360 software though (although Wii is outselling PS2 with no problem). Of course, this might be because it's a family store like Target instead of a gamer focused store like Gamestop.

Neo C.

ZealousD said:
Nope. It's strange to me why people would reject anecdotal evidence from a variety of sources so passionately. It's as if they don't like the truth and it's easier to deny it if it doesn't come from NPD or MC.
They are just rejecting it now. When the tide turns, you will see lots of Sony fans in these threads.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Arde5643 said:
Thanks for the numbers Jewbacca.

PS3 hardware numbers doesn't seem to be inline with what the latest musings have been saying although this might be related to these numbers not covering week 4 and week 5 of Jan.

It's crazy how much PS2 software is outselling even 360 software though (although Wii is outselling PS2 with no problem). Of course, this might be because it's a family store like Target instead of a gamer focused store like Gamestop.

Those are fiscal year (2007 + part of 2008) numbers.

thanks for posting the numbers Jewbacca. Interesting how much more software Wii software sold at the 200 range store than the 800 range store.

Target has about 1500 stores, btw.

squatingyeti said:

I think his fanboy alliances are pretty tame when compared to some of the other member of NeoGaf. Have a sense of humor. Let me guess, you probably think anything tjhooker posts is banworthy and have him on ignore.

Top Bottom