• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Soccer Referee Dies After Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the fuck is wrong with people? I'm trying to think of the thought process of the dickweed kid.

?
You actually think that there was any thought process going on? No, he was being fully emotional and the punch was part of that autopilot behavior. He must have been gradually brought up to believe that violence solves problems.

You actually think that there was any thought process going on? No, he was being fully emotional and the punch was part of that autopilot behavior. He must have been gradually brought up to believe that violence solves problems.

Its not like US culture glorifies violence or anything. Oh wait...

That is another fucked up part of our law. Why give people a lenient sentence when they intentionally kill someone, regardless of the circumstances it happened in? Intentionally killing someone is unforgivable.
The idea is that a killer who enters into a fit of rage because he has been wronged, is not as mentally culpable or as horrible as the cold-blooded killer. In that specific example, I definitely agree that the law is outdated and it should be changed. In Maryland, one of these infidelity homicides happened and the killer got convicted of manslaughter and was released from prison after 18 months. After some public outcry, the state passed a statute that prohibited infidelity as being adequate provocation. As many others on GAF have mentioned, it's important to stay informed and pay attention to local politics!

His "intent" was to cause bodily harm-and he succeeded. More so than he was expecting, but the intent and follow through are there. Is there intent to cause harm in a game of catch?

Did you ever in your entire life intent to harm someone and followed through with it?
Because I would like you to get 20 years for that, like that one time you were six and that mean kid destroyed your sand castle and you shoved him, he could have died right there.

Did you ever in your entire life intent to harm someone and followed through with it?
Because I would like you to get 20 years for that, like that one time you were six and that mean kid destroyed your sand castle and you shoved him, he could have died right there.

No I never have followed through with it. Because I'm not a violent person and I consider myself very level headed. There have been times I was angry enough to do so, but I thought before I acted and considered the consequences. Had I not, I would very possibly be living with actions I regretted.

No I never have followed through with it. Because I'm not a violent person and I consider myself very level headed. There have been times I was angry enough to do so, but I thought before I acted and considered the consequences. Had I not, I would very possibly be living with actions I regretted.

lol

Socreges

Banned
Its not like US culture glorifies violence or anything. Oh wait...
Are there many cultures in this world that don't have bad seeds that may punch someone in the face out of anger? People are normally violent because of their upbringing, less because of the glorification of violence.

Bladenic

This is crazy and super sad.

What is really surprising though is that all it took was one punch. Must have a hell of a punch. It's actually really scary to think a single punch can kill a grown man.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It was a punch.
This wasn't a terrible crime. It was terrible luck.

It's a life sentence because 20 years in jail is basically the end of your life. You will not have much of a chance at any kind of a real life once you get out.

Are there many cultures in this world that don't have bad seeds that may punch someone in the face out of anger? People are normally violent because of their upbringing, less because of the glorification of violence.

I think young males are mostly violent due to testosterone. Aggression and testosterone level are highly correlated.

Rom1944

The kid is a douche and deserves punishment but he didn't plan to kill the man it was a stroke of bad luck he doesn't deserve life in prision as people that kill someone driving dont get life sentences at least not in my country.

syllogism

Sure I concur. But I think people are being sympathetic towards the kid because somehow they identify with having a temper and wanting to act out on it. There is a victim involved here, and a family that is now suffering both emotionally and most likely financially because of the rage of a young man. His family I would assume takes little solace in the fact that "most punches don't kill people". Their pain must be incredible right now, and people bending over backwards to lessen the impact of this CRIME is really astounding to me. Sadly tragedies like these happen everyday across the world, and aren't being scrutinized to a level like this one is. This is unfortanately something that bothers me in the legal system. We spend so much time, money and effort to try to rehabilitate the criminals and wrong doers-and the victims are often marginalized. Sorry, but I emphasize with the family way too much here. Maybe I'm older than most of the GAFfers here, but I identify with the coach here-I try to imagine my wife and daughter trying to come to terms with my senseless death and trying to deal with the ramifications of that-while at the same time, the individual that in a rage, stripped that child's father from her, for the rest of their life...is somehow being protected, and their actions somewhat justified ("he's young, he didn't intend to kill him, just severely hurt him"). Those rationalizations would make the victims family suffer more than they already are. They deserve justice, period. It won't bring the father back-but the fact that justice was served could at least ease their minds a bit more.
I don't identify with either, few people have been rationalizing anything and you aren't asking for justice, but revenge. If you are worried about the victims, you should be calling for a civil suit and monetary compensation rather than focusing on how long the perpetrator should spend behind the bars.

Kurtofan

You must have difficulty thinking then.

Ahah what? How could anyone deny the US Justice system isn't one of the most fucked up in the world, at least the most fucked up of the West.

Rape in prisons, corrupt private prisons, total dehumanization of prisoners, horrible living conditions due to overcrowding poor hygiene conditions etc..., there's no end to the horrors of that system.

Not to mention the disenfranchisement of prisoners that continue even after they served their time in some states.

I don't identify with either, few people have been rationalizing anything and you aren't asking for justice, but revenge. If you are worried about the victims, you should be calling for a civil suit and monetary compensation rather than focusing on how long the perpetrator should spend behind the bars.

Whatever-at this point we're going in circles. I don't subscribe to the point of view of "The Prison System is not effective so we should go easy on this poor 17 year old,"

So yeah, I'm done. Until there's any more news on this story, everyone in this thread has a different opinion on how severe-if any-a punishment should be sentenced on this guy, and no one's point of view if being affected one way or the other-so it's pointless. I find the whole thing disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom