• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Soccer Referee Dies After Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorian

Banned
He's about as much of a killer or murderer as a DUI w/ serious bodily injury that results in a death. In Florida, you'd get about 4 years for something like that. Is that fair to you?

I would say a little bit more would be better but that sounds about right. A DUI, as silly as it is to get in the car when drunk, is still an accident.

Valnen

By the way Valnen, the prison system in the US makes even petty criminals more likely to repeat crime, or move to worse crimes. Would you advocate a life sentence for ALL crimes? You think that would be the best solution for the prison system?

It won't harm society too badly if petty criminals repeat their crimes on occasion. What should be concerning is when violent criminals repeat their crimes. They should get life sentences.

By the way EleventhDoctor, I lost my mother in a car crash due to someone who was texting and driving. That person got charged with vehicular manslaughter.

So I can sympathize with people who lost a family member due to stupidity. I still think life sentences for manslaughter are ridiculous and that rehabilitation is better.

It won't harm society too badly if petty criminals repeat their crimes on occasion. What should be concerning is when violent criminals repeat their crimes. They should get life sentences.

Nice bit of selective reading. Due to prison rape and prison gangs petty criminals move to violent crime more frequently when they get out of prison. I guess we can't take that risk so they should be locked up for life.

If people can have their behavior change for the worse, it seems reasonable that we can alter behavior for the better. This kid isn't some gang member who shot someone for street cred. He isn't a rapist. He is a kid who got angry and punched someone, and accidentally killed another man. I really believe we can rehabilitate someone like that. If we can't then psychology needs to get its ass in gear.

Sorian

Banned

And you are aware that petty criminals usually enter jail, learn from the hardened criminals, and come out to do worse crime? Not always but it is a lot.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sure I concur. But I think people are being sympathetic towards the kid because somehow they identify with having a temper and wanting to act out on it. There is a victim involved here, and a family that is now suffering both emotionally and most likely financially because of the rage of a young man. His family I would assume takes little solace in the fact that "most punches don't kill people". Their pain must be incredible right now, and people bending over backwards to lessen the impact of this CRIME is really astounding to me. Sadly tragedies like these happen everyday across the world, and aren't being scrutinized to a level like this one is. This is unfortanately something that bothers me in the legal system. We spend so much time, money and effort to try to rehabilitate the criminals and wrong doers-and the victims are often marginalized. Sorry, but I emphasize with the family way too much here. Maybe I'm older than most of the GAFfers here, but I identify with the coach here-I try to imagine my wife and daughter trying to come to terms with my senseless death and trying to deal with the ramifications of that-while at the same time, the individual that in a rage, stripped that child's father from her, for the rest of their life...is somehow being protected, and their actions somewhat justified ("he's young, he didn't intend to kill him, just severely hurt him"). Those rationalizations would make the victims family suffer more than they already are. They deserve justice, period. It won't bring the father back-but the fact that justice was served could at least ease their minds a bit more.
So again, if you were playing catch with a friend and you hit him in the head and it ended up killing him, you're saying you would deserve life in prison for it?

Sure I concur. But I think people are being sympathetic towards the kid because somehow they identify with having a temper and wanting to act out on it. There is a victim involved here, and a family that is now suffering both emotionally and most likely financially because of the rage of a young man. His family I would assume takes little solace in the fact that "most punches don't kill people". Their pain must be incredible right now, and people bending over backwards to lessen the impact of this CRIME is really astounding to me. Sadly tragedies like these happen everyday across the world, and aren't being scrutinized to a level like this one is. This is unfortanately something that bothers me in the legal system. We spend so much time, money and effort to try to rehabilitate the criminals and wrong doers-and the victims are often marginalized. Sorry, but I emphasize with the family way too much here. Maybe I'm older than most of the GAFfers here, but I identify with the coach here-I try to imagine my wife and daughter trying to come to terms with my senseless death and trying to deal with the ramifications of that-while at the same time, the individual that in a rage, stripped that child's father from the, for the rest of their life...is somehow being protected, and their actions somewhat justified ("he's young, he didn't intend to kill him, just severely hurt him"). Those rationalizations would make the victims family suffer more than they already are. They deserve justice, period. It won't bring the father back-but the fact that justice was served could at least ease their minds a bit more.
Then you will have to come to grips with reality: this kid is not a murderer and our justice system was not and is not intended to be a tool for revenge.

We spend all of this money on rehab so that there aren't more victims when the criminal is released back into society. We spend all of that money so that the criminal becomes a productive member of society. The victim is not marginalized; they get the help they need within the bounds of reality: we can't bring people back to life, but we can offer them therapy and compensation.

You say that we are bending over backwards to lessen the crime when the kid will most likely be charged with manslaughter. He will most likely be offered a plea that will lessen the charge down to homicide by assault and from there, the District Attorney and the kid's lawyers will hash out a deal. I guarantee that is what will happen. We don't excuse his behavior; it was wrong and he should face the consequences for that. However, we feel that the kid's life shouldn't be completely ruined by this accident just because some people want revenge.

Sorian

Banned
So again, if you were playing catch with a friend and you hit him in the head and it ended up killing him, you're saying you would deserve life in prison for it?

Well, if that friend has a family or any other type of loved ones, we'll have to appease them by giving life in prison. Think of the children! Handing out a life sentence will suddenly make their world a better place.

We spend all of this money on rehab so that there aren't more victims when the criminal is released back into society.

We actually don't spend much money on rehabilitation in the US. Or if we do it is wasted money given the fact that we want both a revenge based system and a rehabilitation system at the same time.

Edit:

Also as callous as this will sound, the family will get over it. Speaking from personal experience, it isn't some life destroying experience to lose a family member due to someone else's stupidity. People get over losing family members all the time. That doesn't mean no sentence should be given and the kid should run free, but allowing spur of the moment emotional decisions to enter our legal system is bullshit.

Yes, let's cripple this kid's life more than it already is over an accident. He's already going to have no luck finding work once all this is over since he will always have a felony.

He should repay something to the family that will lose the income that the guy brought in.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well, if that friend has a family or any other type of loved ones, we'll have to appease them by giving life in prison. Think of the children! Handing out a life sentence will suddenly make their world a better place.
Yea, people are just commenting completely emotionally right now. But thankfully, thats not how the justice system works in most cases. 'Intent' is a huge, huge part of how a person is judged and thats a good thing.

Frankly, somebody who would lock up a person forever for an accidental death is really no worse than the person on trial. In both cases, lives were ended without good reason.

We actually don't spend much money on rehabilitation in the US. Or if we do it is wasted money given the fact that we want both a revenge based system and a rehabilitation system at the same time.

I was just riffing off of his statement. If we did spend a bunch of money on rehab, I wouldn't see the same inmates come in over and over and over and over again for charges that keep ramping up and up.

Sorian

Banned
He should repay something to the family that will lose the income that the guy brought in.

First off, you are making an assumption that he was bringing in an income. Secondly, I could agree to the kid being responsible for a lump sum to the family but not something for the rest of his life. The father could have been laid off or fired from his job at any time. Is it the job's responsibility to keep paying you if they had to get rid of you? It's a shitty circumstance, sure, but the kid isn't responsible for aiding this family financially for the rest of his life.

By the way EleventhDoctor, I lost my mother in a car crash due to someone who was texting and driving. That person got charged with vehicular manslaughter.

So I can sympathize with people who lost a family member due to stupidity. I still think life sentences for manslaughter are ridiculous and that rehabilitation is better.

Nice bit of selective reading. Due to prison rape and prison gangs petty criminals move to violent crime more frequently when they get out of prison. I guess we can't take that risk so they should be locked up for life.

I am truly sorry to hear this. I can't even imagine. Out of curiosity, what was the person's sentence? I wonder if the sentence is harsher due to the texting.

Ducarmel

You sure that was supposed to be addressed to me?

Manslaughter is basically 'accidental death'.

There's involuntary manslaughter, which is completely accidental and zero intent to harm.

And then there's voluntary manslaughter, which involves an intent to harm, but not to kill. The end result of a death is ultimately an accident.

Murder charges involve intent to kill. Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

The legal argument for murder in some states at least would ask did he reasonably know a punch could kill somebody!

I did find this for Utah

(b) intending to cause serious bodily injury to another, the actor commits an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of another;
http://le.utah.gov/code/TITLE76/htm/76_05_020300.htm

A punch is generally intended to cause injury, I guess a jury has to ask themselves is one punch reasonable clearly dangerous to human life.

Yea, people are just commenting completely emotionally right now. But thankfully, thats not how the justice system works in most cases. 'Intent' is a huge, huge part of how a person is judged and thats a good thing.

Frankly, somebody who would lock up a person forever for an accidental death is really no worse than the person on trial. In both cases, lives were ended without good reason.

Yeah people are really fucking emotional.

I remember when my sister was asking me to write a victim impact speech soon after we lost our mother. I never did, and I don't think she did either. After a few weeks of coping I think we both realized that advocating for a harsher sentence wouldn't do anything. It doesn't bring the person back, it doesn't make you feel better, it shouldn't be required for you to cope.

I am truly sorry to hear this. I can't even imagine. Out of curiosity, what was the person's sentence? I wonder if the sentence is harsher due to the texting.

Honestly I stopped paying attention to the case after awhile, especially since I went to college and had to focus on academics. I can ask my aunt for you, since she might know.

I don't think texting and driving is a crime in Florida, so it might not have added to her sentence.

Valnen

First off, you are making an assumption that he was bringing in an income. Secondly, I could agree to the kid being responsible for a lump sum to the family but not something for the rest of his life. The father could have been laid off or fired from his job at any time. Is it the job's responsibility to keep paying you if they had to get rid of you? It's a shitty circumstance, sure, but the kid isn't responsible for aiding this family financially for the rest of his life.

The kid is responsible for the man's death and everything that entails.

Two lives ruined because of bad luck.

I'm sure the kid's a little shit, but no matter what happens, the consequences will stick with him for life. I feel a little bad for him in a way.

If I was playing catch with a friend and I didn't like the way he played the game, went up and sucker punched him, causing death-then yes, I feel I would deserve a "Life Sentence". I don't see anything wrong with this statement, sorry.

Sorian

Banned
The kid is responsible for the man's death and everything that entails.

He is not responsible for having to help the family cope, financially, if they need the help. Shit happens and that is rough to say but he will receive his punishment in other ways. Making him indentured to this family isn't the way.

If I was playing catch with a friend and I didn't like the way he played the game, went up and sucker punched him, causing death-then yes, I feel I would deserve a "Life Sentence". I don't see anything wrong with this statement, sorry.

Don't be dense. You know the question he was asking you meant if you hit him with the ball.

Valnen

Yeah, everyone knows the risks with hitting someone in the head. And if they don't, ignorance isn't an excuse.

He is not responsible for having to help the family cope, financially, if they need the help. Shit happens and that is rough to say but he will receive his punishment in other ways. Making him indentured to this family isn't the way.

Don't be dense. You know the question he was asking you meant if you hit him with the ball.

The hypothetical question wasn't similar to the actual case in any way. I modified it to be similar in context.

You wouldn't get life, though because we have somewhat sane people working in the justice system. That and the prosecution will always go for the easiest charge and sentence. Getting a life sentence for an accidental death will be a difficult case to make.

Sorian

Banned
The hypothetical question wasn't similar to the actual case in any way. I modified it to be similar in context.

Both cases were accidents. One was involuntary manslaughter and the other was voluntary. Not a huge difference. You should answer the guys question.

Valnen

You wouldn't get life, though because we have somewhat sane people working in the justice system.

Not at all. We're talking about a system that locks up people who use recreational drugs longer in some cases than people who commit things like rape or intentionally murder people.

Not at all. We're talking about a system that locks up people who use recreational drugs longer in some cases than people who commit things like rape or intentionally murder people.

That's why I said "somewhat."

Another thing people overlook is that we have a lot of people in the prison system who have mental health issues.

Seanspeed

Banned
Somebody made the point that 'this person's actions resulted in the death of somebody, so they should be locked up forever'.

My question was designed to show how there's an obvious requirement of 'intent' in these kinds of things.

Your response was designed specifically to ignore that....

Camp Lo

Banned
I dont think its crazy.Him paying the family a fine would do more good than spending the rest of life in jail would do.

If a billionaire tycoon killed your dad, should he simply buy your dad off? That would benefit the family way more than him being in jail. Paying for his crimes literally isn't a punishment.

I agree that simply being able to buy your way out isn't good, so they should serve the time they were going to serve anyway AND be forced to pay.

Both for sure. Restitution is definitely essential.

Valnen

If a billionaire tycoon killed your dad, should he simply buy your dad off? That would benefit the family way more than him being in jail. Paying for his crimes literally isn't a punishment.

I agree that simply being able to buy your way out isn't good, so they should serve the time they were going to serve anyway AND be forced to pay.

Somebody made the point that 'this person's actions resulted in the death of somebody, so they should be locked up forever'.

My question was designed to show how there's an obvious requirement of 'intent' in these kinds of things.

Your response was designed specifically to ignore that....

His "intent" was to cause bodily harm-and he succeeded. More so than he was expecting, but the intent and follow through are there. Is there intent to cause harm in a game of catch?

You sound like someone who wants to have their cake and eat it too. You simply are unlikely to get both. How is someone serving life in prison supposed to pay? Lemme guess, force them to work in prison slave camps? Because that couldn't have any detrimental side effects such as increased minimum sentences for petty crimes.

His "intent" was to cause bodily harm-and he succeeded. More so than he was expecting, but the intent and follow through are there. Is there intent to cause harm in a game of catch?

The intent to harm should be punished differently than the intent to kill in my opinion.

Seanspeed

Banned
This thread is pissing me off, so I've gotta bail.

Those of you who are suggesting this person should serve life in jail are DISGUSTING. You guys are showing absolutely no ability to judge on a rational basis and are just pleading on an emotional basis, which means you'd fit right in in the 1300's, but not in a modern American court system. As several people have pointed out, thank fucking god you guys have no say in anything, because thats a horrendous 'justice system' you guys have in your heads.

lol read my intial post on this. You're following it to the 'T'. ;)

You sound like someone who wants to have their cake and eat it too. You simply are unlikely to get both. How is someone serving life in prison supposed to pay? Lemme guess, force them to work in prison slave camps? Because that couldn't have any detrimental side effects such as increased minimum sentences for petty crimes.

Yeah unless this person is OJ Simpson-demanding financial compensation is rarely feasible. I understand a need to compensate the family financially, but I don't see it working out in the real world.

Valnen

Take what they already have and if they get a job when they get out garnish the wages.

Cat Party

That's a problem for the legislature. Sentences for drug crimes are often mandatory. The judges do not have discretion to reduce or refuse to impose them. There is much more discretion in violent crimes.

That could happen, but the family would have to sue the kid in civil court after the criminal case is decided.

Exactly. Hopefully the kid's family has insurance so the poor ref's family can get some money out of this.

This thread is pissing me off, so I've gotta bail.

Those of you who are suggesting this person should serve life in jail are DISGUSTING. You guys are showing absolutely no ability to judge on a rational basis and are just pleading on an emotional basis, which means you'd fit right in in the 1300's, but not in a modern American court system. As several people have pointed out, thank fucking god you guys have no say in anything, because thats a horrendous 'justice system' you guys have in your heads.

lol read my intial post on this. You're following it to the 'T'. ;)

Again-I think some people are not iunderstanding that a "life" sentence is 20 years generally.

Take what they already have and if they get a job when they get out garnish the wages.

> If they get a job

> Life sentence

How are they getting a job while serving a life sentence in prison. Its them in prison, for life...

Or are we talking about an American "life sentence" of 20-25 years?

Again-I think some people are not iunderstanding that a "life" sentence is 20 years generally.

Damn why do we even call it a life sentence.

Camp Lo

Banned

Blood money restitution. It's pretty common.

Valnen

> If they get a job

> Life sentence

How are they getting a job while serving a life sentence in prison. Its them in prison, for life...

It's obvious they're not going to prison for the rest of their lives no matter how much I want otherwise. I rather like the idea of criminals being forced to compensate victims and their families.

That's a problem for the legislature. Sentences for drug crimes are often mandatory. The judges do not have discretion to reduce or refuse to impose them. There is much more discretion in violent crimes.

And you think there's nothing wrong with this? No, the system is broken, plain and simple.

> If they get a job

> Life sentence

Damn why do we even call it a life sentence.

I've never understood that naming convention. But this is why you sometimes hear that criminals will receive multiple life sentences.

This is kind of beside the point, but people have been throwing around some terms so I wanted to make sure everyone is clear on what they mean. Voluntary manslaughter is an intentional killing. It's knocked down from murder due to a mitigating factor i.e. provocation. As Dude Adbides mentioned, a wife who freaks out at the sight of her husband cheating and immediately shoots the mistress in the head is guilty of voluntary manslaughter.

Valnen

This is kind of beside the point, but people have been throwing around some terms so I wanted to make sure everyone is clear on what they mean. Voluntary manslaughter is an intentional killing. It's knocked down from murder due to a mitigating factor i.e. provocation. As Dude Adbides mentioned, a wife who freaks out at the sight of her husband cheating and immediately shoots the mistress in the head is guilty of voluntary manslaughter.

That is another fucked up part of our law. Why give people a lenient sentence when they intentionally kill someone, regardless of the circumstances it happened in? Intentionally killing someone is unforgivable.

That is another fucked up part of our law. Why give people a lenient sentence when they intentionally kill someone, regardless of the circumstances it happened in? Intentionally killing someone is unforgivable.

Because most people realize that acts don't occur in a vacuum and that circumstances should be accounted for. Same reason why intent is also accounted for.

If a poor man who is literally starving to death steals a piece of bread to live another day gets caught, I think he should be treated differently from some trust fund kid who steals a piece of bread.

Cat Party

What if you killed someone in self defense, or to stop a sex crime? That is an intentional killing.

You seem to have strong feelings on this but I don't think you've thought this through very well.

Einbroch

Banned
I was a soccer referee for six years.

I remember getting spit on, shoved, and kicked multiple times. Soccer players and their parents are crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom