• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Soccer Referee Dies After Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah, in so many words this is what you're saying. He is/was too stupid to think that his punch 'for the sake of punching' could kill someone. He should not be exempt from the law because he's ignorant. That's his fault.

Except I never once said he should be exempt from the law for it? You also keep quoting me but cutting it right before I say that he should still be receiving mansalughter charges.

Are you a reporter? You're great at mis-quoting.

Camp Lo

Banned
It is a reason when drawing the line between murder in any degree, and manslaughter.

Many posters here are arguing that a single punch to the head, while potentially deadly, does not usually carry the intent of murder. The likelihood of someone dying to a single punch is relatively small, so a person who wants to kill someone probably wouldn't resort to punching a person in the head. Especially given the circumstance of the punch in this particular case.

Not a single person who pointed this out is arguing that the kid should not be punished for his crime. It is a crime and everyone has acknowledged it. This kid will face the consequences of his actions, but it should not carry the same weight as more serious charges. All death is not the same.

I agree, I guess I should have said it's going to be an entertaining defense to see.

Except I never once said he should be exempt from the law for it? You also keep quoting me but cutting it right before I say that he should still be receiving mansalughter charges.

Are you a reporter? You're great at mis-quoting.

You, me, and everyone still hanging onto this thread are in the same "He is going to jail for X years" boat. I didn't think that needed to be reiterated. I read your excuses for the kid and they simply fall flat on me and I'd like to see that point be brought up in a courtroom. That's all.

Sorian

Banned
Also, if we want to be fair and technical, he could plead ignorance. He is a juvenile afterall. Even at 17, in the eyes of the law, he doesn't completely understand what he did and can be sentenced less harshly because of it. At least currently, exceptions could be made.

Terrible turn of events for the family of the ref. He was just doing his job and didn't deserve this response from a lunatic player. Justice should be served.

Thank you for having a rational response to this story. When I see the first reaction to people sympathizing with the 17 year old ("haven't you ever been in a fight? How would he know??") it blows my mind. A family has lost their father for a stupid reason. This man was doing a service, doing something good by helping kids learn a sport, and some maniac who can't control his temper ENDS HIM.

Fuck that. That poor family.

Angry Fork

So the person you were actually arguing with said he should get an appropriate punishment, very crazy view indeed.

And everything is, I assume, the dungeon? Yes indeed let's assume it is.

So the person who actually had an extreme view, you didn't argue with.

No you're analogy had to do with comparing someone punching someone else in the face in order to hurt them with running around trying to lose some fat.

You are not arguing in good faith, you are creating opinions I don't have, so you can argue against that instead of what I have actually said. Then taking literally my obviously hyperbolic 'dungeon' statement in order to make it appear like I'm the extremist. I don't have the patience for this.

Kid should face jail time but he should get out in 15-20 years max I think even 5 years isn't terribly unreasonable, unless there are other circumstances. I doubt the kid meant to kill and I don't think he's a danger if he gets his anger under control which doctors can help with. Jail should not just be about revenge which is what life without parole would be.

Thank you for having a rational response to this story. When I see the first reaction to people sympathizing with the 17 year old ("haven't you ever been in a fight? How would he know??") it blows my mind. A family has lost their father for a stupid reason. This man was doing a service, doing something good by helping kids learn a sport, and some maniac who can't control his temper ENDS HIM.

Fuck that. That poor family.

People can feel sympathy for the family. I sure do. But he's no longer with us. The only policy decision is what happens to the kid.

The kid is going to get charged with manslaughter. If not, he'll get charged with homicide by assault which is less severe. He'll most likely receive a pretty good plea bargain, possibly for the homicide by assault and spend zero to five years in state prison if it goes like another case.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Kid is an idiot, but in no way deserves life for this... There is no way his intention was to kill the guy, just wanted to knock him out.

Bigfoot

Kid is an idiot, but in no way deserves life for this... There is no way his intention was to kill the guy, just wanted to knock him out.
Yeah, he doesn't deserve life, but he deserves some time in jail. 5 years would be good... He obviously has issues. You don't mess with authority figured like a referee. That's like punching a police officer or a teacher. Hopefully he is treated as an adult.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
We should send every baseball pitcher to jail for life NAOW! They willfully beaned players with a baseball! And even plenty of players involved in brawls! Take em all down. Hell every hockey player ever deserves life or the death penalty. Get this scum off the streets.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I guarantee you plenty of people you know in your life, family or friends have thrown a punch or two.

None of them have killed a man, and to my knowledge none of them ever got violent over something as stupid as a yellow card. Trying to normalize this behavior is bullshit. It's not normal and it shouldn't be considered such.

Bigfoot

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I guarantee you plenty of people you know in your life, family or friends have thrown a punch or two.
Sure, people throw punches if someone wants to fight them or they provoke them. However I bet most people don't have family or friends that have sucker punched an authority figure.

Sorian

Banned
We should send every baseball pitcher to jail for life NAOW! They willfully beaned players with a baseball! And even plenty of players involved in brawls! Take em all down. Hell every hockey player ever deserves life or the death penalty. Get this scum off the streets.

Haha this thread did a wonderful job of making it sound like punches to the head can and will cause death in more cases then we'd expect yet hockey still isn't that bad :p

None of them have killed a man, and to my knowledge none of them ever got violent over something as stupid as a yellow card. Trying to normalize this behavior is bullshit. It's not normal and it shouldn't be considered such.

The fact that the punch killed a man was a total fluke. You make it sound like the sucker punch had the intent of death attached to it.

I don't know. However small, you always have to consider the possibility that hitting someone could result in a serious, sometimes, life threatening injury.

Does he deserve life? Maybe not, but this case should be used as an example of what happens when you attack someone without any real provocation.

Wait are all the people defending this soccer fans? Is that what's going on here? Are people seriously turning this into some kind of sport pride thing?

Joe Paterno would be proud.

Sorian

Banned
Wait are all the people defending this soccer fans? Is that what's going on here?

I despise soccer. It is an extremely boring sport. That being said, I just think anyone saying this kid deserves life is being completely and totally ridiculous. An accident does not equal life in prison.

Edit: Obviously, you are taking the cake though since, judging from your edit, you actually think people would defend a serious crime only because of a sport.

I despise soccer. It is an extremely boring sport. That being said, I just think anyone saying this kid deserves life is being completely and totally ridiculous. An accident does not equal life in prison.

Edit: Obviously, you are taking the cake though since, judging from your edit, you actually think people would defend a serious crime only because of a sport.

I wouldn't call this an accident.

Accident implies no intent to harm. If I shoot you intending to kneecap you and you bleed out and die that's not an accident.

When I see juvenile pissing matches about hockey and baseball in a thread about a homicide I have to wonder where people's heads are at.

Sorian

Banned
I wouldn't call this an accident.

Accident implies no intent to harm. If I shoot you intending to kneecap you and you bleed out and die that's not an accident.

When I see juvenile pissing matches about hockey and baseball in a thread about a homicide I have to wonder where people's heads are at.

Umm, yeah, this is completely an accident. You're example of shooting someone is a bit of an extreme case since a gun is obviously a million times more of a deadly weapon than a fist is but, to be fair, if you shoot someone in the leg with the intention to incapcitate them (and actually hit it which is difficult) and they do end up bleeding out, then yes, I still consider that death an accident. You purposely injured them, you accidently killed them. Not that hard to grasp.

Also, I left the thread for a bit so maybe I missed something but I have no idea where you see a pissing match between hockey and baseball in this thread?

Double also, accident implies no intent to kill in this case. I'm aware he probably had intent to harm but I'm talking about the death being an accident. Stop talking about the world in black and white, it doesn't work that way.

There was still intent to harm and all the risks that come with that intent.

An accident implies he didn't have intent, that's not true in this case.

I'd have no issues with life in prison. This is not the behavior of someone fit to live in society.

That is pretty arbitrary.

People punch people all the time. This guy just had a freak occurrence of brain-swelling and then death.

Do we put everyone who punches someone in prison for life? We already imprison more than any other country and doing that means we'd need to build many many more prisons.

That is pretty arbitrary.

People punch people all the time. This guy just had a freak occurrence of brain-swelling and then death.

Do we put everyone who punches someone in prison for life? We already imprison more than any other country and doing that means we'd need to build many many more prisons.

If you punch someone out you do tend to get charged if they catch you. I would certainly hope that we put the killers in jail for a very long time.

Legalize marijuana, start clearing out people for minor drug offenses and you'll find plenty of prison real estate left for the actual violent offenders.

Sorian

Banned
If you punch someone out you do tend to get charged if they catch you. I would certainly hope that we put the killers in jail for a very long time.

Legalize marijuana, start clearing out people for minor drug offenses and you'll find plenty of prison real estate left for the actual violent offenders.

Yes, you get charged with assault because that was the crime you consciously committed. There are very few assault cases where the person goes in with the intent to kill. I'm not saying its right that he punched the guy but he didn't go in there to kill him. It was an accidental death and he should be charged with the crime of causing an accidental death, in other words, no where near a life sentence.

Edit: Also, lol at "killer" I was unaware we were dealing with such a high profile criminal here.

akira28

Any punch can kill. Did your post have any point to it?

no, not every punch can kill. But temple punches in particular *can* kill. Seizures, brain swelling, etc.

I wonder if this kid walked up behind the ref and sucker punched him in the side of the head, starting all this trouble.

lol @ did my post have a point to it. I guess the real question is are you able to get the points?

Sorian

Banned
no, not every punch can kill. But temple punches in particular *can* kill. Seizures, brain swelling, etc.

I wonder if this kid walked up behind the ref and sucker punched him in the side of the head, starting all this trouble.

lol @ did my post have a point to it. I guess the real question is are you able to get the points?

Actually, every head punch can kill. We can guess all we want about how the punch went down but it seems we don't have any of that information yet. It just seems like a throwaway post. I'm pretty sure everyone knows the temple is a weak spot on the head, doesn't really matter here unless we find that was a purposeful target later.

This is why I stopped responding to your posts. You're not arguing in good faith.

I can't help but notice you quote my edit which picked fun at your choice of the word killer which may or may not have been in good faith but then promptly ignore the part before the edit that tears your argument to shreds. I don't think me "not arguing in good faith" is the reason you aren't responding to me.

I can't help but notice you quote my edit which picked fun at your choice of the word killer which may or may not have been in good faith but then promptly ignore the part before the edit that tears your argument to shreds.

In case you haven't noticed I'm not the only one realizing that you're the joke of the thread.

Sorian

Banned
In case you haven't noticed I'm not the only one realizing that you're the joke of the thread.

With posts like these, I'm the joke of the thread?

life without parole.

Disgusting.

17 is old enough, hit him with everything.

I'm sorry that I don't have the same knee-jerk reaction a lot of you do and just automatically go "OMG, how disgusting. This kid is a psychopath and should be locked away forever."

Still would love for you to actually respond to any of my points that you've been ignoring.

akira28

makes it less of a freak accident that 'no one could have foreseen', and more of an issue of manslaughter, involuntary or not.

"Meant to shoot him in the shoulder, but I shot him in the heart, my bad." *sits down, breaks hole in floor*

Sorian

Banned
makes it less of a freak accident that 'no one could have foreseen', and more of an issue of manslaughter, involuntary or not.

"Meant to shoot him in the shoulder, but I shot him in the heart, my bad."

A freak accident is usually manslaughter in some capacity. That's exactly what I think this is.

LegoArmo

I think jail until 21, and a few years counselling would be a deserved punishment. His life is probably ruined as it is, some people can't cope with taking a human life.

akira28

Literally no one has said he needs to serve a life sentence. That's just words on the internet.

i just felt the need to point that out. That punch where you extend your middle knuckle? That plus a temple punch is probably even more deadly. Noogie punch?

Sorian

Banned
Literally no one has said he needs to serve a life sentence. That's just words on the internet.

i just felt the need to point that out.

That is blatently wrong. I mean, you could have made a case for saying no one has said it and meant it but I get the feeling some people who have said it weren't joking.

Edit: Not going to re-quote but that thing you called a noogie punch does have a real name IIRC and if he did indeed punch that way then I could see how we'd have some intent to kill.

I do agree that in this case murder is not appropriate, but I think you're oversimplifying what constitutes murder. Not every murder is intentional and in some cases an "accident" could equal life in prison. Generally, if a person does not intend to kill someone, but he intentionally causes grievous bodily harm and that person dies, intent is implied. Or if someone acts extremely recklessly without regard for human life, then intent is implied. Looking at it this way, I can at least see an argument for sucker punching a person in the face and killing them constituting murder.

i just felt the need to point that out.

Hey man-boys will be boys. He had emotions! Haven't you ever sucker punched anyone? He probably just wanted to blind him-not kill him.

An I doing it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom