• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US teen jailed for 3 years despite no conviction, guess his race?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i said that the US has way bigger issues to tackle instead of focusing racist slang and whatsnot to eradicate racism, i was told "stop posting". I won't comment further because this is seriously enraging and i could get banned easily.

I could get banned for questioning posts, too, but I'm willing to risk it here. This nation was founded on racist-as-fuck principles by racist-as-fuck people. Squashing racism in all its forms is right up there with marriage rights and equal treatment of genders.

They're cancerous to our society, all of them.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
This is absolutely unbelievable. Surely he will get all the money now? But everybody's right, no amount of money can ever make up for that. People responsible for this shit should be able to be held accountable. I know the system is the main problem but there has to be some individuals that could have positively affected this situation yet didn't. Completely horrible, I feel dirty knowing public money made this happen.

Arde5643

When i said that the US has way bigger issues to tackle instead of focusing racist slang and whatsnot to eradicate racism, i was told "stop posting". I won't comment further because this is seriously enraging and i could get banned easily.

You'd have to consider the people who've posted similarly what you posted but do so due to their reprehensible mind set in similar threads (Trayvon thread is one of the most reprehensible ones) - and it's not just one or two; tons and tons of people with reprehensible and vicious mind set regarding people of different tone color.

You might have received a different response had you worded it better.

This is absolutely unbelievable. Surely he will get all the money now? But everybody's right, no amount of money can ever make up for that. People responsible for this shit should be able to be held accountable. I know the system is the main problem but there has to be some individuals that could have positively affected this situation yet didn't. Completely horrible, I feel dirty knowing public money made this happen.
He'll get money, but the fuckers responsible for this? Nothing will happen to them. Ever. They'll lead life normally and get promoted to further such disgusting mindset in the corrupt Police system.

akira28

6 suicide attempts. I don't even want to imagine what happened to a 16 year old in Rikers. My friend told me bad enough stories about the abuse in juvenile hall in fucking podunk.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
He needs to sue and heads need to roll.

Sadly only the first one is likely to have a good chance of happening.

Acorn

What happened to the right to a speedy trial? If they didn't have enough to convict the charges should've been dropped long ago.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Hmmm

Maybe an underlying attitude and culture supports and reinforces a system like this as well as discourages change to a society that truly believes it has evolved past certain issues.

Hmmm

exarkun

NY City is more racist than any of the big cities in Texas. Stop and Frisk is a clear violation of constitutional rights, and yet it remains in effect. And while the prison and justice system have problems, the type of problems present in this article are specific to jurisdictions. 3 years to litigate a potential robbery? And probably a class A misdemeanor or lower felony? Jeeeesus.

Texas just deports the occasional 13 year old improperly. The NYC articles on gaf make it seem like Im lucky never to have run into a cop while I was there.

kewlmyc

Wow that's depressing. I hope the kid paid so well he never has to work in his life, or can go to his dream college.

Lesath

That's because it's a stupid position. Sorry bro, I can't give a shit about perpetuating otherness and ostracism of people based on race, because we've obviously invested all the fucks we have to give on real racial issues like violence and injustices towards people based on race, "real" sexism, marriage equality, climate change, and how Microsoft has totally dropped the ball this console generation.

A nightmare beyond belief.

Most people waive their right to a speedy trial because they want to get their defense set up properly.

We would need to know the specific laws for NY to see if that is possible, and for how long.

Under the Speedy Trial Act (for federal prosecution), the trial has to start within 70 days and the defendant cannot waive his rights. Making it a legal possibility for a defendant to fully waive his rights is open to abuse by the state. Most states have a similar law to this, with specific time limits.

There needs to be a full investigation of how this happened and who knew about it and did nothing. It might turn out that he could have filed a motion at any time and been successful, but had grossly incompetent or corrupt representation. There should also be a safeguard that kicks in automatically when someone is in jail beyond the legal time limits. It shouldn't rely on them to know how to file a motion, or on their representation.

Roastbeef

Banned
So yeah, if I ever set foot on us-soil I'll treat it like a war-zone in a third world country: stay in hotels and gated communities and only walk around public places in suit and tie (ok, that may be a bit unlike war). and I'm white. if I were black I'd rather visit the slums in Colombia or the Afghan mountains then any single patch of the us.

seriously guys, your country has long swayed from the path to democracy and is turning into a cyberpunk dystopia fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom