• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: ROCK BAND 3 revealed

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
jamesinclair said:
Yeah of course.

But music game sales have plummeted. Saying "hey, heres a much harder version!" will not pick up sales. Yes, you can play the same old guitar on easy with 84 new songs.....but that has been the case for the past 5 years. See DJ hero sales as an example.
Well, if you want to learn some guitar then it seems like a pretty good option, assuming it's not super expensive.

Fuck 'em if they don't have a lefty version though.

parasight

Lotan said:
I'm interested in what the new drum lines look like.

rockband30610x-large.jpg

NameGenerated said:
Well, if you want to learn some guitar then it seems like a pretty good option, assuming it's not super expensive.
A full size MIDI guitar will be expensive. This is the problem, really.

birdman

TheGreatDave said:
A full size MIDI guitar will be expensive. This is the problem, really.

I'm wondering if the cost to put all that shit in a guitar has lowered from last year or not. I know the guitars themselves that they plan on using are fairly cheap, but the electronics to make it work with RB3 are a completely different thing.

birdman said:
I'm wondering if the cost to put all that shit in a guitar has lowered from last year or not. I know the guitars themselves that they plan on using are fairly cheap, but the electronics to make it work with RB3 are a completely different thing.
The YouRock guitar, which seems an obvious comparison, is $200, I think. When you consider Harmonix charged $100 for a fake Beatles guitar, that price doesn't seem too unlikely.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Wario64 said:
Wonder how overdrive works on the keyboard
The keyboard has buttons somewhere on it's body, so I'm pretty sure you'll have to press one them. Or maybe you can tilt it since you can play with it standing up.

EazyB

Banned
Holy shit, hyped. Having invested in an actual guitar as a result of Rock Band I'm interested in seeing what they do with their new guitars and how they play in game. Really hard to justify getting more plastic instruments but Harmonix may get me to jump in with if they're really as authentic as they advertise. Hope my RB2 drum set with the 3 symbols is compatible for the Pro drum mode.

DJ_Tet

Banned
As a guy who has played guitar off and on for about 15 years, gaining a modicum of talent along the way, I'm really excited about this. I was in the market for a new electric guitar, I'd gladly buy one that could interact with a Rock Band game. Talk about the ultimate practice partner. Hopefully they allow for the guitar to function 100% on master mode, if I could play with the fingerings on the screen that would be a great tool for me personally.

I'm psyched about the keyboard too. Glad to see these games slant into a more realistic direction. I think it will be good for music in the long run.

Hope to get a Pink Floyd game at some point, that would be a natural for these new instruments.

KaYotiX

Banned
Safe Bet said:
How much money is there in the "teach yourself to play guitar" market?

thats why its an option....a good option i may add.

edit:dont forget HMX are actual musicians who know thier shit :D spreading the option to learn a instrument is a great idea and even if it helps a small percentage it was prolly worth it to them.i really hope RB3 explodes

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The thing is that Power Gig impressions have been pretty bad so far, since the game apparently only goes as far as power chords. Hopefully RB3 will go the extra mile and just do a full hardcore guitar learning mode... otherwise, it just becomes another expensive toy you break out once in a while.

Man, I was totally gonna sit this game out...

But I will probably buy it with keyboard, and then buy the 6-string once I feel comfortable with keyboard

So awesome

fisheyes

You had me at 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. ...actually you had me before that but whatever, absolutely sold, keyboard and all.

Now just make sure you follow the Lego / Beatles / Green Day lead and release RB3 here in Australia straight away, not the much later / never lead of the mainline RB games.

I didn't mind Frequency and Amplitude for these kind of music games but once the 5 button controllers came into play, I just lost interest... just feels way too fake. This new announcement definitely has me intrigued in finally buying in, though. If the new guitar can truly teach me how to play, then I am there on day 1.

clav

Darn. I wanted to see what expert hardcore mode looked like for the keyboard. :D

I won't buy it, but I know a friend who owns all the rock band accessories and a lot of DLC will definitely purchase this game. He would want me over to play.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Costanza said:
Deserves own thread imo....

In what possible scenario wouldn't it? Dropping something like this in the Rock Band Platform OT instead of starting a new thread would damn near be grounds for deleting all the official threads on the forum.

temp

posting on contract only
Man as someone who played piano for like 6 years as a kid this sounds awesome for dusting off my old skills. Plus the graphics looks amazing. And the whole band integration thing is just so cool. And the enhanced instruments. Oh man it's just all so cool

jamesinclair said:
Also, remember folks, Activision shut down RedOctane earlier this year, they made the best peripherals, hands down.

The hardware team still exist, the software team was absorbed into other parts of Activision. They are now RO Design.

corkscrewblow said:
uh... no

This game is so much easier than learning how to play a real guitar.

Depends on how you play. Learning a handful of chords to play pop songs is easier than expert mode for sure.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
New instruments. A new mode with added depth, and the ability to teach yourself an instrument. Plus backwards compatibility with everything you already own? I'm not a music genre fan at all, but damn, this looks like a sequel done right.

ZeoVGM

Banned
cacildo said:
More plastic instruments?

Real guitar?

If you want it real, just buy a real guitar or keyboard or whatever. No need to buy a game along.

I dont know. I wanted the music genre to grow and evolve, but this seems like the wrong turn for it.

Guitar Hero aint making anything better with the "Same thing, but MOAR" approach either.

Im staying away from more plastic stuff... the same way i kept a fair distance from Tony hawk ride....

It's like you people purposely skip over all of the actual information in the OP.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
TheGreatDave said:
Except for Snow.
:lol /insert rage!

Datwheezy said:
New instruments. A new mode with added depth, and the ability to teach yourself an instrument. Plus backwards compatibility with everything you already own? I'm not a music genre fan at all, but damn, this looks like a sequel done right.
Yep.

J-Rzez

As someone that plays guitar in real life this is a welcome change. The majority of the time I could hear the notes in the song as in where you should play in real life, and then the "game notes" would just be "off", thus conflicting to me and I didn't get full enjoyment out of it. I just want to get the thing in my hands and see how it feels.

If they really wanted the newly welcomed addition of a keys section, this thing would be a "Keytar"! As we all know, Keytars are more rock than keyboards. :D

Now though, maybe they can address my biggest gripe with this platform. They need a much broader selection of music. Right now it's just too "samey", despite having a large collection of music. And the one-off stuff they do have though is just too limited.

I'll definitely keep an eye on this, as I had so much drunken fun with friends at my backyard bbq's with Rockband thus far.

Also, I really hope they clean up the visuals a bit, actually just make them better overall considering this game isn't pushing much tech.

EDIT: Hmm, vid says you can play it standing up, that's the only way to do keyboard! Rock on.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Will this game fullfill my ultimate need of having a huge band wearing scary masks? I'm starting a Slipknot "Rock Band" Band...Our covers of Paramore and Huey Lewis will not only be amazing, but frightening as well.

AMUSIX

wenis said:
Will this game fullfill my ultimate need of having a huge band wearing scary masks? I'm starting a Slipknot "Rock Band" Band...Our covers of Paramore and Huey Lewis will not only be amazing, but frightening as well.
One of the Tour modes should have you playing gigs in order to afford more 50 gallon barrels of fake blood for your stage show...

just sayin...

Top Bottom