• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USGamer podcast has started. It's Retronauts with some current game talk.

Corgi

Banned
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/its-here-come-listen-to-the-first-ever-usgamer-podcast

itunes

Show description:
It's USgamer's first-ever podcast. You demanded it, we recorded it! Jeremy, Jaz, Mike, Kat, and Bob team up to discuss the death of games pioneer Ralph Baer, the history of games journalism, and the most overlooked games of 2014. A good time is guaranteed for all. (MP3, 1:04:52, 45.3 MB)

Episode breakdown:
0:00: Introduction: Are we not men? No! We are USG.
9:32: Remembering Ralph Baer
19:04: Suikoden II on PSN
25:55: USgamer's History of Games Journalism cover story
29:10: The Underdogs of 2014
1:00:28: Closing Notes

will give it a listen during my commute, although im reaching the limit of too many podcasts and not enough commute :S

Links_fantasy

I enjoyed the episode and Jeremy gave a shout out to Saga Frontier! So there's fans other than me. I also agreed with Lightning Returns being an underrated game this year, I hear almost no one mention it except to hate on it. I was also a huge fan of their old podcast Active Time Babble and this is like the spiritual successor.

studyguy

Retronauts like with modern stuff you say?
abkB6ej.gif

Dylan

A good time is guaranteed for all.

What if you're deaf?

Yet another blatant display of oppression from games journalism. #gamergate*

*a blatant display mediocre sarcasm. Downloading now and looking forward to listening.

8 minutes in and I can already tell this podcast will break my heart when it ends after the site shuts down. "Feature heavy" oh lord not good not good at all :(

If they are still looking for a name I nominate Turn Based Babble

8 minutes in and I can already tell this podcast will break my heart when it ends after the site shuts down. "Feature heavy" oh lord not good not good at all :(

Believeeeeeeeeeeeeee is us.

qaS18mF.gif

And Kat will probably be doing an ATB-style podcast soon.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate

The difference between this features-heavy site and certain other ones I may have worked at is that we've taken this editorial angle because it's something our parent company wants and enthusiastically stands behind... as opposed to, say, taking it because the parent company doesn't care what we do so long as we don't overlap with their flagship property.

I'm afraid Turn-Based Babble would create far too much confusion, though.

Corgi

Banned
listened to a bit on the road.

initial feedback:

- Everyone has really distinct voices. which is super rare for podcasts.
- Underdogs talk is great. I do wish more talk into the negatives of LR happened. The metacritic score wasn't that low just because the story is nonsense.

Feels a bit stiff, but chemistry takes time to build.

Does USGamer have an office or does everyone work at home?

listened to a bit on the road.

initial feedback:

- Everyone has really distinct voices. which is super rare for podcasts.
- Underdogs talk is great. I do wish more talk into the negatives of LR happened. The metacritic score wasn't that low just because the story is nonsense.

Feels a bit stiff, but chemistry takes time to build.

Does USGamer have an office or does everyone work at home?

We do not have an office. Every day I'm hustlin' from my home.

I enjoyed the episode and Jeremy gave a shout out to Saga Frontier! So there's fans other than me. I also agreed with Lightning Returns being an underrated game this year, I hear almost no one mention it except to hate on it. I was also a huge fan of their old podcast Active Time Babble and this is like the spiritual successor.

Having finished that game, the hate is pretty justified. It's not a train wreck and does some interesting things, but this is NOT a good game, and it's an extremely unsatisfying way to wrap up the storyline. JRPGS aren't known for Oscar quality stories, but this one was barely coherent

I just realized Jaz Rignall is on this podcast. Holy crap. Had no idea he had anything to do with USgamer.

Yes. Jaz does things for USgamer. Many things.

We have Jaz Rignall, Jeremy Parish, Kat Bailey, and Bob Mackey. What more do you want?

Are-you-not-o4vxvx.jpg

Having finished that game, the hate is pretty justified. It's not a train wreck and does some interesting things, but this is NOT a good game, and it's an extremely unsatisfying way to wrap up the storyline. JRPGS aren't known for Oscar quality stories, but this one was barely coherent

I still haven't played it and there are many things ahead of it. One day perhaps.

Wedge7

Nice, I'll give it a try. Currently keeping up with about 3-4 podcasts a week, but always on the look out for more.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Jaz is such a cool name. Makes the rest of y'all seem soooo normal!

"Jaz" is slick. But most British slang nicknames are the worst. Sometimes people from the UK refer to me with their cutesy little UK-style nicknames and I'm like, "See, this is why we went to war with you guys."

Necrovex

Sweet. Time to drop GiantBomb and pick up USGamer. My body has waited long to hear some of my favorite people speak again. :-D

Dunbar

I was hoping US Gamer would start doing a podcast, because their site has my favorite editorial coverage of any site out there. I love reading in-depth RPG coverage by writers who really know their stuff, and Jeremy, Kat and Mike all know their shit down to the ground. Kat's article about 2014 RPG's of the year and Jeremy's article about the six reasons for Suikoden's success were both great.

Hopefully the podcast sticks to a unique format because the last thing in the world anyone needs is another podcast of WHATCHA BEEN PLAYIN/news/mailbag. I'd like to hear some deeper dives into stuff too, like the Game Club with Suikoden except in audio form.

Jb

Exciting stuff. Hopefully it's not just an hour of snark and grumpiness like some other video game podcasts tend to be.

daydream

Banned
Hope you guys come up with a better title btw. I know it's still tentative but 'USGamer Podcast Extravaganza' is not exactly mind-blowing. :p I'm guessing Jeremy came up with that one.

CamHostage

I like that USGamer is doing more media, but I'd like their podcast to be less Retronauts and more Games Damnit. (Haven't heard the debut, maybe it already is...?) We already have Retronauts, I'd like a new show to have that level of depth but on current topics. That's what the last iteration of Games Damnit tried to do on 1UP, it sadly didn't survive but I could see the concept fitting under the USGamer banner.

Top Bottom