• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USGamer | Revisiting Xbox E3 2014: Remembering All The Games That Died

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/revisiting-xbox-e3-2014-remembering-the-dead

Yesterday, Microsoft announced that Scalebound, its Platinum Games-developed open-world action game, was cancelled. This marks the end of a game first announced at Microsoft's E3 2014 presentation. That press event was key because it was the first event after the launch of the Xbox One and the first event with former Microsoft Studios general manager Phil Spencer as the head of the entire Xbox division. It was a look forward, promising more games and less of the general entertainment that categorized Microsoft's E3 press event a year earlier.

It goes on to talk about: Halo Master Chief Collection, Fable Legends, Crackdown, Phantom Dust, Project Spark & Scalebound

Read the full article on the site.

Beartruck

So 3 major cancellations and 2 major bungles. Meanwhile Sony has actually resurrected things everyone thought were cancelled (The last guardian). Amazing.

blakep267

Why do people keep including Project spark. It launched with a physical disk. But nobody really wanted to play it. I wouldn't call it cancelled as much as shut down

Lime

Although it wasn't revealed in 2014, the now defunct Press Play also had a Xbox/PC project in the pipeline.

icespide

Banned
this is depressing

going forward I will be very skeptical of any new game announced by Microsoft unless it is Halo, Gears, or Forza

d00d3n

People, those projects had to die to funnel money into the no expense spared Lost Odyssey sequel that will be announced this E3!
I wish in my most deluded and pathetic dreams

cakely

I'm confused that the ratio of posts in Xbox One announcement threads to posts in Xbox One cancellation threads is so high.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Spark didn't even lasted a year (due to Microsoft's bad avertisment, especially the whole Conker thing) and MCC released broken for months.

Even then it just seems to be there to make a list even longer for list warz and nothing else.

Spark I had 0 interest in but MCC was broken, but I could still play it even in its broken state. I wouldn't call that "dead" and in the same boat as literally incomplete games.

Honestly thats pretty crazy

Halo Master Chief Collection-ended up a mess
Fable Legends - Cancelled
Crackdown - still in works
Phantom Dust -cancelled or being repurposed
Project Spark - released and then shut down
Scalebound - Cancelled

Thats a pretty destructive e3 list from them

benny_a

Even then it just seems to be there to make a list even longer for list warz and nothing else.
I wanted to mention the games that get touched upon in the article.

If you have a less inflammatory way of listing those games I'll replace it with your version.

bidguy

Banned
its just mind boggling how they havent made a new mainline fable yet. that was one of my fav game on the og xbox.

now THAT was a good console even though it didnt sell well.

icespide

Banned

If you have a less inflammatory way of listing those games I'll replace it with your version.

list them out in a sentence with commas instead of a bulleted list. I'm not even joking

Kremzeek

good on them for bringing up Halo MCC again.

that is such an embarrassing black eye stain that should never have been released in that horribly broken state.

To be fair, those weren't the only MS-published games featured at the briefing. There were, too:

Killer Instinct Season 2
Forza Horizon 2
Dance Central: Spotlight
Ori and The Blind Forest
Inside
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Crackdown 3

Plus the usual mix of third party games, obviously.

Honestly thats pretty crazy

Halo Master Chief Collection-ended up a mess
Fable Legends - Cancelled
Crackdown - still in works
Phantom Dust -cancelled or being repurposed
Project Spark - released and then shut down
Scalebound - Cancelled

Thats a pretty destructive e3 list from them

Wow, that's depressing. All those games are either shit, dead or vaporware.

Unknown?

It's not their worst, they aren't at late 360 bad on software output but they are not very far away. Also their emphasis on only releasing 90% of their titles at the end of the year makes their overall experience worse.

benny_a

yah it's dumb but I think it's better, some people even just seeing lists of games on new lines flips their list warz switch
Next step: CSV wars.

It's not their worst, they aren't at late 360 bad on software output but they are not very far away. Also their emphasis on only releasing 90% of their titles at the end of the year makes their overall experience worse.
I think mostly showing games that release the same year or within a year is great, I don't think this showing is that.

Tecnniqe

Banned

The talking points is not the issue, the title is; Remembering All The Games That Died

While games talked about is still in development / released / shut down after release being put in the same boat.

And even then, since 2014 they have released a good few games.
did they?
Sure
And respectively were 1) shut down and 2) broken for months. That's still a pretty poor showing even if they were officially released.

For sure, not gonna disagree on that. I just found the title itself to drag attention towards everything as dead, while not 100% true.

LordKano

Spark I had 0 interest in but MCC was broken, but I could still play it even in its broken state. I wouldn't call that "dead" and in the same boat as literally incomplete games.

Yeah but the purpose of the article is to point how, in retrospective, the E3 2014's press conference of Microsoft was a huge joke in our faces.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
R.I.P to the cancelled projects.

MjUsyGM.gif

MS E3 2017 needs to deliver software wise and deliver hard.

Top Bottom