• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USGamer | Revisiting Xbox E3 2014: Remembering All The Games That Died

kadotsu

Banned
This. Crackdown is going to be Scorpio's showpiece.

Crackdown will be interesting for everything but the actual game. Will it be more than a multiplayer sandbox with F2P systems bolted on? Will it work well on non-Scorpio XB1's? Will the cloud deliver or be bullshit?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Wouldn't worry about Below either. I've played it and it is looking amazing (and seemed nearly finished). I'm sure it will be along in good time.
To be fair I thought it has looked nearly finished every time it was shown on video.

I don't think there is a huge worry about the quality, just about the date. At some point interest is going to wane, if it hasn't already and that would be unfortunate.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Crackdown will be interesting for everything but the actual game. Will it be more than a multiplayer sandbox with F2P systems bolted on? Will it work well on non-Scorpio XB1's? Will the cloud deliver or be bullshit?

As long as its not Rockstar's cloud servers :p

Wedzi

Banned
The denial is strong in some people.

But hey, why call a spade a spade when we can live in a delusional world where everything is ok? Why bother to put more pressure on the Xbox division when you can just tell them they are doing a great job as they fumble about and cancel games left right and center? Personally, I'm just happy the Xbox one S has a 4K Blu Ray player, who needs videogames right guys?

I've never seen the Xbox community (if you want to call it that) this upset since the 2013 reveal. People are coming to their senses for the most part. Microsoft is going to have a hard sell this E3.

Xbox has become a joke this gen. If they didn't have BC, Sunset Overdrive, or Halo 5, the One wouldn't even be worth owning.

At least Sony was able to salvage the train wreck that was the PS3. Microsoft seems content with killing the Xbox brand with their stupidity.

benny_a

I've never seen the Xbox community (if you want to call it that) this upset since the 2013 reveal. People are coming to their senses for the most part. Microsoft is going to have a hard sell this E3.
I think if they show hype games it'll be fine, with the caveat that there will be more (IMO rightful) concern about if they are going to deliver on the hype trailers.

E3 is all about spectacle and I enjoy it once a year for what it is.

GHG

No one knows, I don't expect much on the standard XBO.

So much for "no one left behind" then.

If they go down that road e3 really will be a shit show for them. If games don't at least have feature parity across the Xbox "family" they are going to alienate and piss off a lot of people.

Xbox has become a joke this gen. If they didn't have BC, Sunset Overdrive, or Halo 5, the One wouldn't even be worth owning.

At least Sony was able to salvage the train wreck that was the PS3. Microsoft seems content with killing the Xbox brand with their stupidity.

A train wreck that had Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, mind you

Wedzi

Banned
I think if they show hype games it'll be fine, with the caveat that there will be more (IMO rightful) concern about if they are going to deliver on the hype trailers.

I don't even know if that's their biggest concern. With what we heard about inside Xbox's planning I'm unsure if they can even green light hype games to tease with a CG trailer.

The denial is strong in some people.

But hey, why call a spade a spade when we can live in a delusional world where everything is ok? Why bother to put more pressure on the Xbox division when you can just tell them they are doing a great job as they fumble about and cancel games left right and center? Personally, I'm just happy the Xbox one S has a 4K Blu Ray player, who needs videogames right guys?

This is starting to turn into a Microsoft issue than an Xbox devision issue. We can focus our attention on Nadella but he could probably give less of a shit on our opinions.

I can't imagine it was easy. Studios like Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Santa Monica, etc are the real heroes. They really came through for Sony and the PlayStation brand.

It all stems from this "games as a service BS". If they can't dedicate actual resources to great single player games like Sony does especially with Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 what's the point?

They got the MP front covered but not one single player game they have release or campaign (yes I know UC and Bloodborne had online as well but it was on top of great single players) from their own exclusives have matched the quality or quantity their competition puts out.

I mean why wasn't there a Fable 4, given the franchise has sold historically well despite that shitty Kinect garbage? In a world where games like the Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 sell great on your own console it should have been a no brainer. However we are under the games as a service banner and frankly it's not working, and this is coming from Xbox owner who never even purchased anything from the Sony ecosystem.

see5harp

Project Spark ran like shit on xbox one and wasn't fun, in any case. It's a good thing that was cancelled assuming the staff and/or budget was moved to something else of value.

Oh I'm talking about saving it during the PS3 gen. By the end of last gen, the PS3 was the console to own.

Ok then, in that case you're absolutely right!

Some people don't realize, but ever since 2009 Sony has been DESTROYING Microsoft in exclusives so the only real reason to own an Xbox One now is if you really like Halo, Forza or Gears of Wars

benny_a

Some people don't realize, but ever since 2009 Sony have been DESTROYING Microsoft in exclusives so the only real reason to own an Xbox One now is if you really like Halo, Forza or Gears of Wars
Exclusive games is just one reason to play on a platform.

I can see your perspective, but not everyone cares about more than 2-3 games a year. (COD, FIFA, Madden, Rockstar games etc.)

Some people don't realize, but ever since 2009 Sony has been DESTROYING Microsoft in exclusives so the only real reason to own an Xbox One now is if you really like Halo, Forza or Gears of Wars

Or if your already sucked into the Xbox ecosystem.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Not a fan of their games as a service and MP/social must be incorporated into every thing philosophy going forward tbh at all.

I mean here they are, sitting on a bunch of quality IPs but they keep pushing that envelop and trying to force the social/MP aspect in everything. And not fully putting faith in projects that don't meet their ecosystem philosophy it seems.

Exclusive games is just one reason to play on a platform.

I can see your perspective, but not everyone cares about more than 2-3 games a year.

Yes, I can see that, but even then you have a console that has the best exclusives and pretty much runs all the 3rd parties better than the competition

So Xbox is pretty much depending exclusively to brand loyalty or inertia regarding online subscription/services

Gestault

I have mixed feelings seeing Project Spark called a cancellation. I had easily 50+ hours of playtime into it across the various projects, and the constant stream of content and improvements kept me happy. The subsequent Conker content was interesting.

The service was eventually stopped, but they went out of the way to make it a free experience by the end, to improve the tools, and to effectively refund the purchase price for those who bought content for it. I got some weird/interesting/fun/impressive experiences out of it. Aside from the predictably stark gap in quality among different people's content, the game delivered.

Project Spark ran like shit on xbox one and wasn't fun, in any case.

There was actually a major performance bump that came along with with the patch-parity update from the PC version.

Fable Legends had some good tech behind it, but man, that was a terrible project goal for a traditionally single-player story RPG.

blakep267

I think they are going to try and go the GTA route. In that it's gonna have the standard Crackdown single player open world. Take out gangs etc. but the online will mimic GTA online and be a playground with MT's

Papacheeks

Banned
I think they are going to try and go the GTA route. In that it's gonna have the standard Crackdown single player open world. Take out gangs etc. but the online will mimic GTA online and be a playground with MT's

You didn't answer IMO the most important question if this game is going to be a set piece for Scorpio, how will this run on base xbox one? Especially with all the physics stuff.

pswii60

Spark didn't even lasted a year (due to Microsoft's bad avertisment, especially the whole Conker thing) and MCC released broken for months.
The Spark Conker reveal thing was awful and just indicated to me that MS really does not get it, or us. It was basically trolling the fans, albeit unintentionally.

And then Voodoo Vince gets greenlit. Wtf.

I'm normally one to support the underdog but since Kinect their first party lineup has gone continually downhill, it's sad.

Microsoft better come with that heat at E3. They have nothing outside of a few titles.
MS typically has decent to solid conferences. They just don't go beyond it. I want something out of left field that surprises the heck out of me. Do something unexpected.

Particularly, a Jade Empire announcement!

Schlorgan

MS typically has decent to solid conferences. They just don't go beyond it. I want something out of left field that surprises the heck out of me. Do something unexpected.

Particularly, a Jade Empire announcement!

A Jade Empire sequel from Obsidian would be a huge announcement.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
They're in a tough position right now cause they could have multiple "huge" announcements but the confidence and perception of them delivering on said announcements are not high at the moment. Unless they end up being 3rd party DLC exclusivity or some shit. That's why they need to deliver hard software wise by demoing convincing gameplay of their upcoming titles. Must tread very lightly on announcing shit early, especially this year.

The Spark Conker reveal thing was awful and just indicated to me that MS really does not get it, or us. It was basically trolling the fans, albeit unintentionally.

And then Voodoo Vince gets greenlit. Wtf.

I'm normally one to support the underdog but since Kinect their first party lineup has gone continually downhill, it's sad.

You're not wrong. There is some sort of link between the hyping the shit out of Project Natal and the drop in exclusives on 360.

N.Domixis

Banned
https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/476060914211237888

uHR7o0S.png
Lol, crazy to think all this happened. More cancled games confirmed.

Lazaro

You're not wrong. There is some sort of link between the hyping the shit out of Project Natal and the drop in exclusives on 360.

I lost interest in the 360 during those times. It was also around the time when people were obsessed with the Modern Warfare games as well. Also the time of the PSN hack/Geohot scandal.

I guess that's when Microsoft decided to start focusing on games that would interest the general casual American audience.

I lost interest in the 360 during those times. It was also around the time when people were obsessed with the Modern Warfare games as well. Also the time of the PSN hack/Geohot scandal.

I guess those audiences took over the Xbox playerbase, lol.

That PSN hack sucked. Couldn't play Uncharted 2 online for six weeks, lol.

Top Bottom