• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using Tennis Shoes for Running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Korey said:
I'm going to start running regularly for the first time in a week or so. I'm pretty clueless, so for people who run, here are some questions:

1) What do you use to keep track of how far you've run?

2) Water - do you bring any? Or do you just run and then don't drink anything until you're done?

3) What do you bring with you? I'm thinking just my music player and keys. Where do you keep your keys?

1) Nike+ It's really quite nice. In fact, I lead the official team. It's kind of in a rebuild process at the moment, but we're headed for great things!

2) I did one time, but it got annoying. I just drink a decent amount of water 10 minutes before my run, then head out.

3) My armband for my Touch has enough room where I usually just stick my key behind the ipod in the pouch.

Blader

Korey said:

Math :D

If you know what your normal mile pace is, you can keep track of your distance just based on the total time of your run. And then write it down in a training log or something.

2) Water - do you bring any? Or do you just run and then don't drink anything until you're done?

I don't. Carrying something with you is more work than you need, and if I'm ever really dying of thirst I just stop at a water fountain or something.

3) What do you bring with you? I'm thinking just my music player and keys. Where do you keep your keys?

They're hard to find for some reason, but try to get running shoes that come with pockets. They're small enough that it'll keep your keys secure and in place, so they aren't constantly flopping around and banging up against your leg.

Korey said:
I'm going to start running regularly for the first time in a week or so. I'm pretty clueless, so for people who run, here are some questions:

1. Just run by time. For example, when starting running, just make it as your first goal to run for 30 minutes, at whatever pace feels comfortable.
2. For runs up to 60 minutes, just drink a glass (or 2) of water before you head out. No need to lug any bottles.
3. Most running shorts/pants have a small key pocket on the inside. I would advise against taking a music player (traffic awareness, and hearing your own breathing and footsteps is a big part of the running experience).

AntoneM

OP: "Hey GAF can I use tennis shoes for running?"
GAF: "Not really, you should get running shoes."
OP: "Well, fuck you too!"

Korey

BrokenSymmetry said:
1. Just run by time. For example, when starting running, just make it as your first goal to run for 30 minutes, at whatever pace feels comfortable.
2. For runs up to 60 minutes, just drink a glass (or 2) of water before you head out. No need to lug any bottles.
3. Most running shorts/pants have a small key pocket on the inside. I would advise against taking a music player (traffic awareness, and hearing your own breathing and footsteps is a big part of the running experience).
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm looking into Nike+ now...on top of the readings it sounds like it's actually a good motivator to run because it keeps track of everything online with charts/graphs etc making it a more social/psychological/competitive thing than just fitness.

I'm planning to bring a small shuffle because I've been told by friends that running is crazy boring and I'll probably lose interest if I don't have anything to listen to...but we'll see. Thank you for the advice.

Papa

Banned
Korey said:

1) If you have an iPhone, the Runkeeper app is very good.

2) Unless you plan on running long distances, which you shouldn't be in the early stages, you won't be out long enough to need it.

3) Nike make some socks that have pockets in the side, but I think they'd be too uncomfortable when running. I don't really know though, because I just leave my doors unlocked and run around my area.

nilbog21 said:
I'd rather die

Care to explain why?

m7yq0p.jpg

I use the Asics Kayanos in the above image and they're the best shoes I've ever had. Maybe a bit expensive considering you're planning on running in tennis shoes, but even the cheaper Asics models are great.

I really have no idea what you're trying to say. Do you think they look bad? If so, what the fuck is wrong with you?

nilbog21

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
1) Nike+ It's really quite nice. In fact, I lead the official team. It's kind of in a rebuild process at the moment, but we're headed for great things!

QUOTE]

Hey could you tell me more about what Nike+ is all about ?

tHoMNZ

If you can, find a nice forest with a track to run in. Fuck running on the streets

(the soft forest floor will minimize risk of injury)

nilbog21 said:
The_Inquisitor said:

QUOTE]

Hey could you tell me more about what Nike+ is all about ?

Sure. You basically buy this little sensor you put in your shoe. There are certain nike shoes that have a slot you place it in, but you can buy a pouch to hold it and attach it to your shoe.

Basically what it does is communicate to either an ipod/iphone/armband how long you have run/distance/pace in real time as you run with the click of a button. Once you finish running it will chart your runs and store them. It will also tell you how many calories you have burned. You can set goals on the web site such as calories burned in a specific time, runs per week, average time, and all sorts of other things. You can also join challenges and follow your friends as they make progress.

Yeah I slipped up a few times last year running wise. But I burned 24000 last year even slipping up. I plan to do much better this year. :D

Running barefoot is better, researchers find

Mother Nature has outpaced science once again: the bare human foot is better for running than one cushioned by sneakers. What about those $125 high-tech running shoes with 648 custom combinations? Toss 'em, according to a new study published online January 27 in the journal Nature (Scientific American is part of Nature Publishing Group).

"Most people today think barefoot running is dangerous and hurts," Daniel Lieberman, a professor of human evolutionary biology at Harvard University, said in a prepared statement. "But actually you can run barefoot on the world's hardest surfaces without the slightest discomfort and pain…It might be less injurious than the way some people run in shoes."

Lieberman and his group used 3-D infrared tracking to record and study the running and strike style of three groups of runners: people who had always run barefoot, people who had always run with shoes, and people who had switched from shoe to shoeless.

They found that when runners lace up their shmancy sneakers and take off, about 75 to 80 percent land heel-first. Barefoot runners—as Homo sapiens had evolved to be—usually land toward the middle or front of the foot. "People who don't wear shoes when they run have an astonishingly different strike," Lieberman said.

Without shoes, landing on the heel is painful and can translate into a collision force some 1.5 to 3 times body weight. "Barefoot runners point their toes more at landing," which helps to lessen the impact by "decreasing the effective mass of the foot that comes to a sudden stop when you land," Madhusudhan Venkadesan, an applied mathematics and human evolutionary biology postdoctoral researcher at Harvard who also worked on the study, said in a prepared statement. But as cushioned kicks have hit the streets and treadmills, that initial pain has disappeared, and runners have changed their stride, leading to a way of high-impact running that human physiology wasn't evolved for—one that the researchers posit can lead to a host of foot and leg injuries.

Perhaps it should come as no surprise that our bodies are still better engineered than new-fangled trainers. When taking into account our ancient ancestors, "humans have engaged in endurance running for millions of years," the researchers wrote in their study. "But the modern running shoe was not invented until the 1970s."

Another recent study, by the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and published last December in the academy's journal, PM&R, found that wearing running shoes "increased joint torques at the hip, knee and ankle," when compared to barefoot running. Even a jog in high heels was better for joints than specialized tennis shoes.

Despite the growing movement of barefoot (or more lightly shod) runners, many researchers are calling for more evaluation before all those sweaty sneakers are abandoned. "There is no hard proof that running in shoes… causes injuries," William Jungers, a professor of anatomical sciences at Stony Brook University in Long Island, NY, wrote in a commentary that accompanies the new study. But, he asserted, "In my view there is no compelling evidence that it prevents them either." And as a boost to the barefoot argument, he added: "There are data that implicate shoes more generally as a plausible source of some types of chronic foot problems."

So perhaps you can skip those sneaks, say the study authors. "All you need is a few calluses," Lieberman said.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Are running sneakers also good for crossfit stuff? (jumping around, dropping to push ups, running up stairs etc). I guess I'm looking for a sneaker thats good for all round' stuff (but may be asking for too much from a single pair). I've personally been trying to run with some really old Basketball sneakers and its definitely hell on knees, hips and causes your legs to give out before your lungs (I've been poor but have got some money to spend now).

The Vibrams look cool but I'm not sure if I want to run around in the cold with those (I live in the North East).

giri

BlueTsunami said:
Are running sneakers also good for crossfit stuff? (jumping around, dropping to push ups, running up stairs etc). I guess I'm looking for a sneaker thats good for all round' stuff (but may be asking for too much from a single pair). I've personally been trying to run with some really old Basketball sneakers and its definitely hell on knees, hips and causes your legs to give out before your lungs (I've been poor but have got some money to spend now).

The Vibrams look cool but I'm not sure if I want to run around in the cold with those (I live in the North East).

The reason to not use running shoes for other activities is durability. Most sports out side of running involve alot of lateral movement/scuffing of the shoe. The thin mesh that most running shoes are made out of doesn't take that sort of punishment well.

How ever, just for gym work, runners should be fine.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm really tempted to get a pair of Vibram FiveFingers KSO for running and all around working out. I've heard such good things about them from such varied sources, I feel like getting a pair would help me get back into running.

I also need to get a new iPod soon, so maybe a Nano and its pedometer/Nike+ stuff would be cool.

BlueTsunami said:
For what it's worth they make a pair (Flow) designed for cold weather.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
BlueTsunami said:
My Vibram KSOs came in today

4407031864_2b2699a168_o.jpg

Feels good man
Are these comfortable to use without the running? I go running, but not very frequently. For some reason I fell in love with the FiveFingers Sprint. There are a few stores that carry them around my area so I plan on visiting one of them to get a perfect fit soon. I plan on using them to just dick around in/play basketball/go out with. Will they be comfortable enough for ordinary everyday use?

pelicansurf said:
Are these comfortable to use without the running? I go running, but not very frequently. For some reason I fell in love with the FiveFingers Sprint. There are a few stores that carry them around my area so I plan on visiting one of them to get a perfect fit soon. I plan on using them to just dick around in/play basketball/go out with. Will they be comfortable enough for ordinary everyday use?

I wear them everywhere. My wife hates it, but whatever - I'm already married.

Played ball in them the other day, and it went great.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
pelicansurf said:

These are the KSO and I think they may be more tight and confining compared to the Sprint and Classic. I think for everyday use the Classic would probably feel the best. From what I've read, in regards to comfortability, it goes like this Classic > Sprint > KSO.

With that said, these feel like I'm wearing skin tight ankle socks (so they're still magnitudes more comfortable than sneakers). I've also read that they take time to break in (they feel a bit tight on width).

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
nilbog21 said:
Interesting

Does anyone know if (and where) you can buy a pair of pair of these? I've looked eVERYWHERE

nike-nintendo-air-max-bw-1.jpg

I have a pair of size 11s that I don't use. Would you like to buy them from me?

ssolitare said:
How can you play basketball in those, what about your ankles?

Ankles are better protected when you're barefoot (or close to it). For one thing, you aren't sitting on a "ledge" of shoe. There's nothing to fall off of.

Second, your nerve endings in the foot are getting constant feedback from the ground. Your nervous system makes subconscious corrections to your stance based on that feedback.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Price Dalton said:
I wear them everywhere. My wife hates it, but whatever - I'm already married.

Played ball in them the other day, and it went great.
This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for in an answer. Awesome, thanks.

pelicansurf said:
This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for in an answer. Awesome, thanks.

Just be careful, especially if you aren't used to walking around barefoot. Don't immediately rush out and run several miles or play a few pickup games. Spend some time building strength in your feet. Long walks or hikes are great ways to break 'em in.

TomServo

Price Dalton said:
Yep. More people need to realize this. I've been exercising barefoot for a couple years now, and I can't stress how superior it is.

Had a similar discussion in another thread. The science isn't as conclusive as the Vibram cult wants it to be. Yes, peak stress on joints is lower when running with mid and forefoot strikes, but you're taking shorter strides meaning more strikes over the same distance.

As for the OP, I do distance running and play tennis. For years I've used:

GT2150
Resolution

I wouldn't run in my tennis shoes. For one, good tennis shoes are considerably heavier than similar quality running shoes. They're also less flexible, and less breathable.

The only thing I can think of is that tennis shoes often have your foot lower to the ground, and there's a trend even among stability / motion control running shoes to ditch some of the structure that's trying to prevent overpronation and simply keep the foot lower to the ground. Nike Lunarglides are a good example of this.

EDIT: Wanted to add; I'm a Florida boy. If I'm not at work, the gym, running, or on a tennis court I'm barefoot or in flip flops. For me athletic shoes are a necessary evil.

nomster

Price Dalton said:
Ankles are better protected when you're barefoot (or close to it). For one thing, you aren't sitting on a "ledge" of shoe. There's nothing to fall off of.

Second, your nerve endings in the foot are getting constant feedback from the ground. Your nervous system makes subconscious corrections to your stance based on that feedback.
Your ankles get trashed in basketball when you jump up and someone is underneath you. Being barefoot isn't going to give you any advantage there.

TomServo said:
Had a similar discussion in another thread. The science isn't as conclusive as the Vibram cult wants it to be. Yes, peak stress on joints is lower when running with mid and forefoot strikes, but you're taking shorter strides meaning more strikes over the same distance.

As for the OP, I do distance running and play tennis. For years I've used:

GT2150
Resolution

I wouldn't run in my tennis shoes. For one, good tennis shoes are considerably heavier than similar quality running shoes. They're also less flexible, and less breathable.

The only thing I can think of is that tennis shoes often have your foot lower to the ground, and there's a trend even among stability / motion control running shoes to ditch some of the structure that's trying to prevent overpronation and simply keep the foot lower to the ground. Nike Lunarglides are a good example of this.

"Cult"? There's even less science backing the Nike cult.

In the end, though, just do what works for you. The n=1 experiment trumps all. I'm glad we're both able to enjoy pain-free exercise.

Edit: some interesting research on shod v. unshod stability in elderly folks.

We found significant differences between the two groups in terms of estimates and the effect of footwear. Psychophysical functions for estimate of slope were 0.95 for the young when barefoot and 0.71 when shod compared with 0.80 and 0.81 respectively for the older men.

We conclude that sensitivity to foot position declines with age, mainly owing to loss of plantar tactile sensitivity. Footwear impairs foot position awareness in both young and old. Loss of foot position awareness may contribute to the frequency of falls in later life

And another one discussing ankle stability when barefoot, in high tops, or taped up.

Compared to barefoot data (position error 1.97 degrees), foot position error was 107.5% poorer with athletic footwear when untaped (absolute position error 4.11 degrees), and 58.1% worse when taped (position error 3.13 degrees). This suggests that ankle taping partly corrects impaired proprioception caused by modern athletic footwear and exercise. Footwear could be optimized to reduce the incidence of these injuries.

Sure, you could optimize footwear, or you could simply try going barefoot - which had the highest marks for ankle/foot awareness.

TomServo

Price Dalton said:
"Cult"? There's even less science backing the Nike cult.

In the end, though, just do what works for you. The n=1 experiment trumps all. I'm glad we're both able to enjoy pain-free exercise.

Everyone I've talked to about Vibrams - friends, people on planes who see me with a copy of Runner's World, etc talk about them as if they've saved their lives. It's always struck me as very cult-like. No offense intended.

Completely with you on the pain free bit and the n=1. For me that means shoes that prevent me from overpronating when I run. The shoes aren't causing the overpronation, that happens when I walk barefoot.

TomServo said:
Everyone I've talked to about Vibrams - friends, people on planes who see me with a copy of Runner's World, etc talk about them as if they've saved their lives. It's always struck me as very cult-like. No offense intended.

Completely with you on the pain free bit and the n=1. For me that means shoes that prevent me from overpronating when I run. The shoes aren't causing the overpronation, that happens when I walk barefoot.

Indeed. Glad to hear you've found something that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom