• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VAC actually gets updated, OR: Being a TF2 Sniper main is hard

diamount

Banned
$5.5k down the drain because they wanted to impress people with their "skills"? If I had that good of an inventory, I'd never risk it. Hell, I'd play bad on purpose so noone even thinks I might be cheating.

No, I'm sure there is monetary incentive also. But I really doubt there have been any TF2 tournaments with payouts that are online only, that is just stupid AF.

So this Vlad guy has nearly 4000 hours of TF2 played. How can you play a game so long while cheating? Where is the fun? Where is the "getting better" if you just own everybody because you are cheating? What a waste of time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's not on Steam.

Go tell me how GTA Online or Titanfall 1 are doing nowadays w/r/t hackers.

VAC isn't the only anti-cheat option. Even Dark Souls 3, a Steamworks game, uses an in-house solution rather than VAC. You could make the argument that the original Titanfall not having any anti-cheat measures makes 2 following suit the most likely outcome, but the notion that a game has to be on Steam in order to have an anti-cheat element is patently false.

Even Dark Souls 3, a Steamworks game, uses an in-house solution rather than VAC.

Yeah okay, how's that working out for them?

Face it: As it stands, there is no better anticheat solution on PC right now than VAC. I don't know what happened here: Valve providing VAC for developers is a textbook example of perfect storefront symbiosis, making development significantly easier by just instantly allowing access to the best anticheat around, but the second publishers decided that they wanted their own storefront, it's like they grew so complacent they either forgot or didn't care enough to replace it with something comparable of their own.

Most games on Steam have terrible anticheat measures, but ALL games not on Steam have it EVEN WORSE. PC anticheat is just in a terrible spot altogether now.

JaseC

Not overly well, it seems, but that's irrelevant unless you're moving the goalposts from "Titanfall 2 won't have anti-cheat because it's not on Steam" to "Titanfall 2 won't have an effective anti-cheat system because it's not on Steam", however even that's not a foregone conclusion as Ubi seems fairly happy with its custom anti-cheat solution for R6 Siege and recently updated it to ban upon first detection rather than in small waves. Hell, even VAC isn't perfect: this thread would not exist if somebody hadn't stumbled upon the source code for the LMAOBOX hacks.

Has there ever been an EA game post-Origin that was on Steam?

I know of select Ubisoft games that have broken free of Uplay but not any EA games getting out of Origin.

The Maximum Edition of Crysis 2 was released on Steam... several months after EA pulled the original release.

Respawn is not owned by EA, and neither is the Titanfall IP. EA did not even finish funding the first one (hence the MS deal).
If Respawn is shortsighted enough to agree to Origin exclusivity again... then god help the community.

The matter of distribution in the here and now is up to EA as it's the one funding the game.

The matter of distribution in the here and now is up to EA as it's the one funding the game.

Zampella:
"We would have loved for it to be on Steam from day one, but at some point it just doesn't make sense anymore and you start looking to the future and I think we should not make that same decision again."

That was in december 2014. Money talks, and if they did not have any other recourse, then they probably kneecaped themselves again out of the 100 million steam userbase.
To be clear, i am there day one. But i wish my friends could be too.
Ive derailed long enough. Back on topic.

Crono27

Face it: As it stands, there is no better anticheat solution on PC right now than VAC. I don't know what happened here: Valve providing VAC for developers is a textbook example of perfect storefront symbiosis, making development significantly easier by just instantly allowing access to the best anticheat around, but the second publishers decided that they wanted their own storefront, it's like they grew so complacent they either forgot or didn't care enough to replace it with something comparable of their own.

Most games on Steam have terrible anticheat measures, but ALL games not on Steam have it EVEN WORSE. PC anticheat is just in a terrible spot altogether now.

esea anticheat is pretty decent....

JaseC

That was in december 2014. Money talks, and if they did not have any other recourse, then they probably kneecaped themselves again out of the 100 million steam userbase.
To be clear, i am there day one. But i wish my friends could be too.
Ive derailed long enough. Back on topic.

Respawn could shout "We want to use Steam!" until it's blue in the face, however unless it's making a significant if not majority contribution to development, the game will be an Origin exclusive again, just as Crytek had no say in the distribution of Crysis 2 and 3. That being said, Respawn will presumably own the game itself, just as it owns Titanfall, in which case EA's publishing contract will have an expiration date. But that's a long road (e.g. Bulletstorm turned 5 earlier in the year and EA is still publishing it).

COD has proven how useless VAC can be.

Grassy

Shitcunts, the lot of them. I fucking hate cheaters...

The system is working.

Also, I don't think I understand the impetus for YouTubers to be hackers?Competitive players sure but people whose skill matters about a tenth as much as their charisma?

They must be thinking along the lines of lots of sick kills + ownage = more subscribers, I guess?

Splendid. I just went through my friends list using SteamRep and purged everyone that was VAC banned or trade banned.

Feels good to get rid of scumbags. Also found I had a Valve employee and 2 Reddit admins on my friends list O_O

The system is working.

Also, I don't think I understand the impetus for YouTubers to be hackers? Competitive players sure but people whose skill matters about a tenth as much as their charisma?

There are a number of YouTubers who have cheating as their main gimmick, Archonet probably being the most well-known. They can create alts, but most have lost hundreds of dollars in gear and the only reliable cheat available.

There are a number of YouTubers who have cheating as their main gimmick, Archonet probably being the most well-known.

that's so weird to me. how does one gather enjoyment out of cheating. I suppose I've never understood multiplayer cheating culture. Seems like such empty victories. I can't imagine ever feeling any sense of satisfaction.

It's about time. Considering you had youtube channels with people cheating and gaining a big following, with kids donating to them and replicating the cheats etc. It's not really a good look for your game. I actually find it impressive that the premium lmaobox lasted so long, but good riddance.

jW1dyxZ.png

Audioboxer

Hah!

Cheating is quite clearly going to be rampant up the top ladders of some clans/highly regarded players. It's just hilarious when it gets caught and those perceived to be awesome can't put down anyone who has accused them in the past anymore (sure false accusations do suck though).

Any GAFers get outed? NAME AND SHAME!

Audioboxer

Just looked up some videos of people using the hack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CASvbAfmvE

How is this even fun?

Finishing top of a leaderboard and waving your status as skill over people who may or may not look up to your "skills" and wish they were that good.

It's always been simple human psychology. Even those that try to cheat for financial reward, a big part of the prize is appearing superior with what a non-cheating peasant can only believe to be insane skill.

Others do it just to be dicks, but in reality everyone cheating at the harm of others is just a dick. When it comes to MP anyway. We've all dicked around with cheating in SP for entertainment, but that's usually because we understand we are only impacting on our own enjoyment.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I don't play the game but this is great, cheaters fucking suck (in every sense of the word).

This is why I play MP games on console. I used to play America's Army 2 competitively but we got stomped in the finals by a team I was certain was hacking. It'll always be prevalent in PC gaming no matter how many anti cheat solutions come and go.
That said, good on the dude that reported it to Valve, but it's kinda shocking how Valve was completely oblivious.

I myself got banned in TF2 like 7 years ago for a pistol script I had made to empty out my clip like it was an automatic. Dumb move on my part, for sure.
I can't believe people pay monthly fees for this shit.

I love how he tries to shift blame to an "IRL friend" to try and appear innocent

Yep. Funny story, I had a steam account from the HL2 launch days and had CS Source etc. One of my school friends borrowed my account to play for a few weeks and got my account VAC banned. He claimed it was his younger brother that did it. So the "IRL friend got me banned" has actually been true at least once :p

Falk

that puzzling face
COD has proven how useless VAC can be.

COD only proves that Activision doesn't give a shit about the previous entry because they want you to buy the new one.

In my experience, the only CODs that have been bearable a few weeks after launch are the ones with self-policed dedicated servers by tight-knit communities, and even then sometimes people make mistakes with their manual discretion.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
In my experience, the only CODs that have been bearable a few weeks after launch are the ones with self-policed dedicated servers by tight-knit communities, and even then sometimes people make mistakes with their manual discretion.

Black Ops II and III have/had great anti cheat from my experience, I virtually never saw a cheater. IW/SHG did a poor job though.

Axial

Funniest VAC ban wave ever. Loved to play TF2 in the old days, even though certain cheating techniques were much easier back then since many servers didn't enforce consistency checks on clients and walling was so rampant, especially with snipers. I do wonder though, I can understand a main demo, soldier or sniper using hacks, but engie? Srsly?

/edit
Haha "footsteps" Vlad got VAC'd too? Finally, cheating scumbag.

Top Bottom