• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

kiryogi

Banned
el Diablo said:
Insane hype? Lol, if you really need to fine tune your definition of insane hype. For insane hype that a game can't possibly live up to you need to take yourself into a Gears 2, Resistance 2, Fallout 3, or LBP thread. Not that those games won't be great but those games are what you'd actually call hyped. If anything VC is flying so far under the radar that its best chance for decent sales is word of mouth.

If you've been following my posts, you'd notice I'm mainly keeping my attacks on the TC himself. Supporting the game's 10/10 from RPGland or something and preferring it over rpgfan's 88/100 was pretty ridiculous. RPGfan was a bit more realistic about the game and I pretty much agreed with it as a whole. I'd say a 9/10 is pretty close to pushing it, although not undeserving. The 8/10 is the reasonable sweet spot IMO.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So how exactly do things like Skills and Classes work? Are classes set or can be upgraded? (sort of like Fire Emblem/Shining Force). Are there a good array of weapons?

This game has definitely got me excited... it feels like a true evolution for SRPGs.

kiryogi

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
So how exactly do things like Skills and Classes work? Are classes set or can be upgraded? (sort of like Fire Emblem/Shining Force). Are there a good array of weapons?

This game has definitely got me excited... it feels like a true evolution for SRPGs.
Classes can be leveled to gain more orders or potentials. Orders are special commands that you can issue during battle that'll augment your ability. But it comes at a cost. Potentials are special abilities that can occur if you meet a certain requirement on the battlefield. Say, there's a character that hated males. So if she was near other male soldiers, her performance will decrease. Anyway, after a certain level, they'll rank up. While weapons and equipment is on the limited side. You'll level up their weapons as a set as well. At most you can only customize the weapon they'll carry. You can also upgrade their armor, but it's as a whole for everyone. The most customization is available on the tank.

So it's not quite the full true evolution of SRPG, but it's definitely changing the movement and engagement concept. Just lacking on the customization.

kay

kiryogi said:
If you've been following my posts, you'd notice I'm mainly keeping my attacks on the TC himself. Supporting the game's 10/10 from RPGland or something and preferring it over rpgfan's 88/100 was pretty ridiculous. RPGfan was a bit more realistic about the game and I pretty much agreed with it as a whole. I'd say a 9/10 is pretty close to pushing it, although not undeserving. The 8/10 is the reasonable sweet spot IMO.
It is just an opinion, nobody is right. Everyone is wrong including Buddha, Jesus and Hitler.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
kiryogi said:
So it's not quite the full true evolution of SRPG, but it's definitely changing the movement and engagement concept. Just lacking on the customization.
Certainly better than booting up Tactics Ogre and going through that epic saga all over again.

As for the review scores, it's up to the individual whether they are gullible enough to respect the writings of a glorified receptionist that tags some numbers at the end of their tirade. I don't see why someone like you needs to hold the flag of destiny by trying to change what other people see, hear, or think, unless it seriously affects your mindset. Let them live their own lives.

Farnack

Banned
bigswords said:
I really loved the demo, damn x-com plus gears of war.... so awesome! so awesome!
>_> That's kind of a weird comparison.

To me, it's TBS and RTS with Fallout 2's VAT targeting system in manual.

Durante

kiryogi said:
Personally I don't give a shit about review scores (you'll probably find more than 100 posts by me on GAF to that effect - that's also why I didn't include any in the OP), but I know that some people do so once one was posted (and the lowest one so far at that) I wanted to point them all out. And RPGLand's score is one of them, whether you like it or not. And it's not at all like they hand out 10/10 often.

I find it passing strange that you appear to be unable to process the fact that some people (eg. reviewers) liked the game more than you did.

Also, if by "insane hype" you mean the GAF impressions on the first page, then I am not to blame -- I can't help it if a very large number of GAFers were completely captivated by the demo. Just go back and browse through the demo thread and you will see that my .gif accurately represents the general feelings.

kiryogi

Banned
Durante said:
Personally I don't give a shit about review scores (you'll probably find more than 100 posts by me on GAF to that effect - that's also why I didn't include any in the OP), but I know that some people do so once one was posted (and the lowest one so far at that) I wanted to point them all out. And RPGLand's score is one of them, whether you like it or not. And it's not at all like they hand out 10/10 often.

I find it passing strange that you appear to be unable to process the fact that some people (eg. reviewers) liked the game more than you did.

Also, if by "insane hype" you mean the GAF impressions on the first page, then I am not to blame -- I can't help it if a very large number of GAFers were completely captivated by the demo. Just go back and browse through the demo thread and you will see that my .gif accurately represents the general feelings.

Oh I can process it fine. But someone's gotta be the voice of dissenting opinion. Who better than one of the original players! I don't know why for sure, never minded it in other titles, but the excitement and positive impression here is just asking for disappointment somewhere along the line. And I'm here just to keep that in a sorted manner.

Hcoregamer: Negative nancy indeed! Look at Judy's expression

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
kiryogi said:
Hcoregamer: Negative nancy indeed! Look at Judy's expression

I guess we all need a negative nancy, but yours just takes it to an almost unhealthy level.

People are not expecting this to be the best thing ever, they just played the demo and was pleasantly surprised by the demo. It was like Bioshock in that the demo created more buzz than hype.

If people had extremely high expectations after playing the demo, it is understandable. I don't think anyone will be burned by the game because no one is expecting the greatest story ever told, the best soundtrack ever made, and the best script writing this side of Lawrence of Arabia. Hell, the demo does a good job in that it doesn't give you high expectations, it gives you a taste of the game experience that will undoubtedly be better as the game move along.

Yoh just has too much time on his hands or something. :lol

It is a great game that pretty much any fan of the strategy genre could appreciate. The hype is perfectly reasonable because the game is one of the most refreshing changes to the somewhat stale SRPG formula in a long time. And it accomplishes it with a huge amount of polish.

RpgN

BudokaiMR2 said:
Yoh just has too much time on his hands or something. :lol

It is a great game that pretty much any fan of the strategy genre could appreciate. The hype is perfectly reasonable because the game is one of the most refreshing changes to the somewhat stale SRPG formula in a long time. And it accomplishes it with a huge amount of polish.

Exactly! For this alone it should be applaused. I never expected the game to be perfect in every single way. But it brings new things to the genre that SRPG hugely needs. Added with small attention to graphics, good gameplay and great music and you have a winner. There aren't many (S)rpgs who succeeded well and being innovative this gen.

Ps. I pre-ordered my copy. If things go according to plan, I should get it on thursday or friday :D

Durante

RpgN said:
Ps. I pre-ordered my copy. If things go according to plan, I should get it on thursday or friday :D
I could get mine in 2 days if everything goes according to plan. Hype increasing! And I arranged everything so I can basically play from thursday until monday without interruption :D

Egg Shen

Just wanted to say that I picked up my Fallout 3 CE but asked after (and received) the art book for Valkyria Chronicles, confirming what someone had mentioned earlier about Gamestop receiving those early for pre-orders. Hopefully everyone else that did pre-order from them will have the same experience and won't have to worry about greedy shits hoarding them for themselves.

S. L.

Katana_Strikes said:
Wow, didn't expect it to be sent out so soon from thehut. Cheap price and early delivery? Niiiiice!
well i ordered from germany, so dunno how long shipping will take.

shpankey

not an idiot
How can a game I have never heard about, ever, and played the demo and was impressed be too hyped? There is a difference. Halo 2 was too hyped. This game was a pleasant and unexpected surprise. I played the demo and realized that. That is not being too hyped. That is real, I played it and enjoyed it and know exactly what I'm getting into.

Whereas a too hyped game is a game you hear about for months and months with everyone going crazy. Talk of ninjas on fire, etc. Only to finally get to play it and realize it's not much more than anything you've played before.

This game came out of nowhere for most of us.

Snaku

Banned
Kagari said:
I'M SO LUCKY. Got the last artbook from GS... damn. It's in great condition too! ;D

I got one too, good condition, even though I've no intention of picking this up within the next month or so. I wish I had more money. :(

DunpealD

Sage00 said:
Well I'll be The Hut pre-order sent post number 3. :D

Then I suppose I'll be the number 4, never thought they send it out that early. Can't wait to get my hands on the real deal. :D Still have have some backlog though :(

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Snaku said:
I got one too, good condition, even though I've no intention of picking this up within the next month or so. I wish I had more money. :(

It's really nice too. Glad I was able to get it.

Durante

I want an art book as well :(
At least we get the game a bit sooner.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Add me to the list of people who were highly impressed by the demo. :D
At my count that's now a slightly higher than 95% GAF approval rating for the demo.

RpgN

Durante said:
I want an art book as well :(
At least we get the game a bit sooner.

Yep, we'll be fine :D What do you think? Shall we make a bet? 4 got their game shipped from thehut, while we'll get ours on thursday or friday. Who will get it first? ;)

Paracelsus

RpgN said:
Yep, we'll be fine :D What do you think? Shall we make a bet? 5 got their game shipped from thehut, while we'll get ours on thursday or friday. Who will get it first? ;)

Fixed, and you will be getting yours sooner than me, that's for sure. Seeing as they shipped mine today, in the best case scenario I'll get it next Monday.

Bajan32

So i played the demo of this a few times this weekend and i have to say i was quite impressed.
All of the SRPGs ive tried lately just felt like too much work, but seriously this felt right up my alley.

Long story short... i preordered this thanks to the demo when i went to pick up LBP over the weekend. I thought VC wasnt being released until the 11/04 though. Saw it listed on a couple sites as 10/28. I guess I'll know later when i get my preorder call.

I went from nothing to play on my PS3 to all types of games coming out... no way i can keep up.

speedpop

From what's been confirmed, this is the run-down of release dates:

USA - 4th Nov
Euro - 31st Oct
Aus - 30th Oct

KillJade

Banned
Just tried the demo. Went from "wait and see", to instant purchase. I'm not a fan of SRPGs but I love the mix of gameplay in this one.

klee123

speedpop said:
From what's been confirmed, this is the run-down of release dates:

USA - 4th Nov
Euro - 31st Oct
Aus - 30th Oct

Fucking hell. I called JB just then and they said it's sometime during November.

speedpop

Hmm. I've seen a 6th of November release floating around as well, but EB's Australian website has it listed for the 30th.

I can't wait to see the first obligatory photo post with "I GOT THE GAME IN HAND!! I GOT IT!!"

Followed by MUST GET MUST GET MUST GET!!! from all the other GAFfers that can't get or play it until a few days later.

Benedict

Title: Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) - £32.99

from blahdvd.com

hopefully have it on friday, but probably next week.

diss

Banned
i hope it's in (australian) stores today. if not... DEATH!! or i guess i'll finish off dead space and pick up fallout 3 the day after.

Top Bottom