• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

el Diablo said:
Point taken, i let my year of RPG gaming only see the irony in the statement. PS3 only owners who prefer RPGs don't really need much "acclaim" at this point, show us something quality and we'll eat it up heh.

On a side note, is it just me or are all the artbooks in really bad shape? Thumbed through mine for the first time today and it was in pretty bad shape. Looked like a 5 year old had read it and put it down.
Both the ones we got at our store were in great shape. Both were taken home by employees, but that's okay because me and a co-worker were the only ones the pre-ordered the game. :D

I talked him into getting it pretty easily, lol. He seems to trust my taste in games.

Ramune

Seems Amazon is doing it's part by recommending "Valkyria Chronicles and more" referring to other RPGs (though Valkyria got top billing in this e-mail newsletter). Good to see!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
zoukka said:
Was so hyped about the impressions, but the demo was really just "ok" material.

Beware the NeoGAF hype. Always.

Trust me, after Brave Story I don't believe anything games related to NeoGAF hype.

I was one of the first people on board, and I knew it would be a great game. Judging from my experience, it beat my sky high expectations.

Can anyone share some info regarding the DLC for this game? Will that second campaign that allows you to be the bad guys be available to North American markets as well?

Hcoregamer00

Dr. Acid Avatar said:
Can anyone share some info regarding the DLC for this game? Will that second campaign that allows you to be the bad guys be available to North American markets as well?

We wont likely know this until the sales of the game start rolling in.

If the game sells well, they have incentive to do DLC. If the game sells like crap, they have no incentive.

Hcoregamer00

neight said:
But didn't the game sell like crap in Japan and they still got DLC.

It sold like crap because we expected it to sell massive amounts on a console that has ~2 million userbase.

Sega seems content enough to make DLC for the game.

rykomatsu

neight said:
But didn't the game sell like crap in Japan and they still got DLC.

does anyone remember what the shipped numbers were? a number of game shops supposedly sold out first week....

Spiegel

rykomatsu said:
does anyone remember what the shipped numbers were? a number of game shops supposedly sold out first week....

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10906944&postcount=272

duckroll said:
He said that 50k for the week is expected, with about 100k for lifetime to be expected. It sold only 50% of the shipment on the first day, there's no way it'll do much better for the week. :p

~80k first shipment
~41k sold first day
~77k sold first week
~130k LTD

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hcoregamer00 said:
It sold like crap because we expected it to sell massive amounts on a console that has ~2 million userbase.

Sega seems content enough to make DLC for the game.

You are saying this, Mr. chime in every MC thread and complain about VC selling like shit on PS3...

el Diablo

Banned
jsrv said:
Well, here's hoping it'll do at least half as well for its US/EU releases.

I'll be absolutely shocked if this doesn't do at least 130k between NA/EU/whatever other territories this hasn't be released in. Not saying it'll do crazy numbers but 130k isn't very much to be quite frank.

< 130k = if Sega releases another game like this expect multi-plat, cause this one was an utter failure
~ 130k = at least it sold as well as JP, localization was probably worth it
~ 500k = success, possible sequel or at the very least the engine gets another game
1M+ = see you in VC2

jsrv

radiantdreamer said:
There's a limited edition?! Where??? What's it include???

The Japanese one? It came with a small scale figure of Alicia and the Edelweiss tank and the small artbook (Same one given away from preordering the english version). I might be missing a piece or two though

kiryogi

Banned
radiantdreamer: you want cynism, thats what my posts in this thread are. to deflate this inane hyperbole this topic has into something realistic.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
kiryogi said:
radiantdreamer: you want cynism, thats what my posts in this thread are. to deflate this inane hyperbole this topic has into something realistic.

Desperate people will say silver is gold and gold is platinum

Hcoregamer00

HK-47 said:
You are saying this, Mr. chime in every MC thread and complain about VC selling like shit on PS3...

Why are you in this thread? :D

kiryogi said:

So basically you are the negative nancy.

HK-47 said:
Desperate people will say silver is gold and gold is platinum

Again, why are you in this thread?

kiryogi

Banned
Indeed, the game is great and all, in fact one of the best ps3 games. But by all means it's not the end all be all ultimate game that this insane hype seems to be churning.

Hcoregamer00

kiryogi said:
Indeed, the game is great and all, in fact one of the best ps3 games. But by all means it's not the end all be all ultimate game that this insane hype seems to be churning.

I don't see such hyperbole.

The game is great and people seem to like it, I do not see anyone here writing panegyric statements about this calling it the "Messiah of the PS3" or "Teh greatest game ever made." If people fall victim to their own hype, it is their fault.

I had high expectations, and I still liked it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hcoregamer00 said:
Why are you in this thread? :D

So basically you are the negative nancy.

Again, why are you in this thread?

Again why do you act like you didnt keep whining in MC threads every chance you got about VC's sales?

kiryogi

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I don't see such hyperbole.

The game is great and people seem to like it, I do not see anyone here writing panegyric statements about this calling it the "Messiah of the PS3" or "Teh greatest game ever made." If people fall victim to their own hype, it is their fault.

I had high expectations, and I still liked it.

Validating the 10/10 someone fanboy site gave I'd say qualifies in the greatest game catagory.

Hcoregamer00

HK-47 said:
Again why do you act like you didnt keep whining in MC threads every chance you got about VC's sales?

That has nothing to do with my point.

Sega felt that the game was successful enough to make DLC, I wanted it to do more.

kiryogi said:
Validating the 10/10 someone fanboy site gave I'd say qualifies in the greatest game catagory.

Don't look at me, I don't read reviews. Ever since GTA4 I stopped giving a crap what they think.

:lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kagari said:
It's a line from KOTOR :X

And I'm changing hosts right now D: so I should have it back up soon.

Definition: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds.

Hcoregamer00

Shadow780 said:
screw downers, I put this game above R2 on my playlist, 11/04 cannot come soon enough :((

I agree with Kiryogi on the extent that people should not have unreasonable expectations.

If you think the game will be a great RPG with a unique twist to the SRPG genre you will like it. If you think the game will be the second coming of Christ and that it will change gaming forever, you will be disappointed, no matter how good the game is.

Keep your expectations realistic, and you will have a good time.

Llyranor

I'm pretty much 'just' expecting a good/great SRPG - which by the sounds of the J-thread, it will be.

I mean, the demo was fun and all, but it was also just an introductory level and didn't do much to blow my mind. I like SRPGs, I'm not concerned. I'm really digging Disgaea 3, though, so it has harsh competition (the more, the merrier!)

If the game sucks, though, I'm hunting down creepy guy.

Shadow780

Hcoregamer00 said:
I agree with Kiryogi on the extent that people should not have unreasonable expectations.

If you think the game will be a great RPG with a unique twist to the SRPG genre you will like it. If you think the game will be the second coming of Christ and that it will change gaming forever, you will be disappointed, no matter how good the game is.

Keep your expectations realistic, and you will have a good time.

Who exactly thinks like that anyway?:lol

Anyway I've been interested since the Japanese release, and finally it's here.

Hcoregamer00

Shadow780 said:
Who exactly thinks like that anyway?:lol

Anyway I've been interested since the Japanese release, and finally it's here.

Have you been to GAF hype threads?

They always put games on a pedestal and make people believe it will be the greatest thing since the Hybrid Engine. I have been burned out on way too many of those to take GAF hype seriously anymore (example: Brave Story, a piece of crap that was being compared to Chrono Trigger :lol )

The saddest thing about a game like this, is that this is Sega at their best. An original IP, with great graphics and greater gameplay. It comes at a time when Sega produces tripe, so it gets largely ignored. Japan should be eating this game up, as this type of game use to be their bread and butter. Look at Sakura Wars, Srpg/dating sim made by Red, published by Sega. That game sold very well(at a time when Sega made better games).

It just bothers me that this game won't ever see those type of numbers that it deserves, just because Sega is no longer the apple of Japan's eye(and the ever increasing second hand market, not to mention gaming mentality).

We should all give this game a chance, if not for a sequal, so that other original offerings of this calibur may bear fruit.

Shadow780

Hcoregamer00 said:
Have you been to GAF hype threads?

They always put games on a pedestal and make people believe it will be the greatest thing since the Hybrid Engine. I have been burned out on way too many of those to take GAF hype seriously anymore (example: Brave Story, a piece of crap that was being compared to Chrono Trigger :lol )

Solid RPG though...I enjoyed it, no where near CT calibur of course.

well I haven't been the victim of hype threads yet, and I like to remain that way.:lol

Hcoregamer00

KeioSquad2 said:
The saddest thing about a game like this, is that this is Sega at their best. An original IP, with great graphics and greater gameplay. It comes at a time when Sega produces tripe, so it gets largely ignored. Japan should be eating this game up, as this type of game use to be their bread and butter. Look at Sakura Wars, Srpg/dating sim made by Red, published by Sega. That game sold very well(at a time when Sega made better games).

It just bothers me that this game won't ever see those type of numbers that it deserves, just because Sega is no longer the apple of Japan's eye(and the ever increasing second hand market, not to mention gaming mentality).

We should all give this game a chance, if not for a sequal, so that other original offerings of this calibur may bear fruit.

The problem with Sakura Taisen was Sega's poor handling of the franchise. Not to mention they never tried to expand the markets beyond Japan.

I do agree with your assertion that this is Sega at their best. Sega is not like the Sega of old where most releases mean some quality and effort. The problem is that they have done a terrible job with the brand marketing of Sega. When they went third party, we were expecting dreamcast-caliber games across all consoles. Sega did do that for a while, and they learned quickly that high quality games can't sustain a large company since it spreads the market over multiple platforms.

This was before Sega learned the magic of multiplatform games (which in all honesty would have kept the old Sega alive longer when they went third party).

Sega was always best in America and Europe, but they did have a loyal base in Japan that they alienated over and over again.

Shadow780 said:
Solid RPG though...I enjoyed it, no where near CT calibur of course.

well I haven't been the victim of hype threads yet, and I like to remain that way.:lol

When you get burned, it leaves scars.

I was a victim of Brave Story and Grand Theft Auto 4 hype

rykomatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
If you think the game will be the second coming of Christ and that it will change gaming forever, you will be disappointed, no matter how good the game is.

I wasn't disappointed :p

Ok...maybe not the "change gaming forever", but i was looking forward to VC more than the second coming of christ (since if that does happen, I'm going to hell anyways)

Hcoregamer00

rykomatsu said:
I wasn't disappointed :p

Your avatar says otherwise :p

animated2.gif

rykomatsu said:
Ok...maybe not the "change gaming forever", but i was looking forward to VC more than the second coming of christ (since if that does happen, I'm going to hell anyways)

:lol :lol

Too funny

Darkpen

Banned
I preordered VC, but I won't be able to pick it up for a while. I just blew my money on a $50 PSN card :lol :(

*questions self*

At least I got the art book :D
Where is my Marina?! Oh... there are 50 people in Squad 7... >_>

Not to mention... I would be torn between getting Valkyria chronicles and Naruto: UNS :/

(I really want Naruto :lol)

el Diablo

Banned
kiryogi said:

Insane hype? Lol, if you really need to fine tune your definition of insane hype. For insane hype that a game can't possibly live up to you need to take yourself into a Gears 2, Resistance 2, Fallout 3, or LBP thread. Not that those games won't be great but those games are what you'd actually call hyped. If anything VC is flying so far under the radar that its best chance for decent sales is word of mouth.

Top Bottom