• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Quixzlizx

Kagari said:
Haha, yeah I said that and then he started to cry about how it was a SRPG, but then he enjoyed Final Fantasy Tactics. And then he said he would just borrow mine, but I'm not having any of that. He can buy his own copy XD

But FFT has tons of missions with conditions.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
I can't wait to play this game. I have watched BudokaiMR2 play this and had a couple of shots at it, and it is fucking awesome. The usage of formations, realistic effects of positioning, cover, and life-like strategy were mindblowing. Being able to aim where you fire adds a nice risk to reward balance in the game making you really think about whether or not to attempt a head-shot versus a safe body blow adds volume. The game really sucked me in. If it weren't for me being less than confidant in my Japanese skills, I would have gotten this game way back. I really want to enjoy the story of the game to it's fullest, which is why I am waiting till the US release.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Today, I was over in Barnes and Noble, which is 1 minute away from gamestop.

After the store opened at noon I called it shortly afterward about the Valkyria Chronicles preorder. The girl says that they have three left so I head over there in about a minute. As I go over there there were two people in front of me buying some XBOX 360 games, but nothing more.

I went to the counter to present my receipt, and the girl says that they have no more Artbooks left. I told her that she just told me over the phone that they had 3 of them, she said that someone picked it up. I look around the room and I see three employees. Remember that I arrived one minute after I called them, and the previous people in line were buying X360 games. Then I ask her if they will get more of the artbooks, and she says that the three they got is what they will get.

There is no way in hell that they could run out of three preorder bonuses in one minute for a game no one knows about (the game has 4 preorders from that store), which means that those goddamn employees took the artbooks. The best part, those are the only damn artbooks that they were getting.

To reiterate what I said for my title, Fuck gamestop. I would not even consider shopping there if Amazon had the same artbooks. Here I thought I was being paranoid about them stealing the preorder bonuses, but the shit ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

>_<

Dragon

Banned
I preordered at GameStop yesterday and they didnt mention any artbook.:lol Then again I couldn't even pronounce the name of the game so I didn't mention it.

nny

I'm not too familiar with how these pro-order bonuses work, but each store should get the number of gifts correspondent to the pre-orders they get. If I understand correctly they get a random number of bonuses and aren't obliged to have one for each pre-order? That's rotten.

Hcoregamer00

nny said:
I'm not too familiar with how these pro-order bonuses work, but each store should get the number of gifts correspondent to the pre-orders they get. If I understand correctly they get a random number of bonuses and aren't obliged to have one for each pre-order? That's rotten.

That would be fine, but when you have employees taking them (like in my situation) having an appropriate amount wouldn't have helped. Hell, for all I know they received 8 for the four preorders but the employees got to it before everyone else.

nny

Hcoregamer00 said:
That would be fine, but when you have employees taking them (like in my situation) having an appropriate amount wouldn't have helped. Hell, for all I know they received 8 for the four preorders but the employees got to it before everyone else.

If when you pre-order something they promise a bonus, they should be obliged to have a bonus for each pre-order or if not compensate you in any form. If they can act the way they please with no consequences that's really unfortunate.

I'm not from the US, but the truth is I already hate Gamestop vicariously from what I read around here :lol

RpgN

Hcoregamer00, that really does suck. Can you get the artbook somewhere else or is it too late?

zoku88

Hcoregamer00 said:
To reiterate what I said for my title, Fuck gamestop. I would not even consider shopping there if Amazon had the same artbooks. Here I thought I was being paranoid about them stealing the preorder bonuses, but the shit ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

>_<
That sucks :(

I'm sorry for joking to you about it T_T

If itt makes you feel better, I ordered from Amazon and therefore will not get an artbook :(

el Diablo

Banned
Always, always, always have to ask (any retailer) if they'll hold an item for you if you're heading right over. Never hurts to ask and the majority of the time they'll hold it for you if you'll be over immediately (unless they're just an ass), saves yourself from grief like this.

Anyways, after hearing about Hcore's run in i decided to give my local Gamestop a call, the girl (there were actually 3 working at the same time, never even heard of a store having more than 1 on staff at a time :lol) on the other end had no clue what i was talking about but after looking found 1 copy and agreed to hold it for me while i drove over. Funny thing was when i drove over the girl just said to give it to me even though i hadn't even placed a pre-order yet, didn't ask for my receipt or anything heh. For the record though i did place a pre-order and paid the thing off. Not saying the artbook is the most limited thing in the world but i'd imagine they didn't get a ton of copies per store. I'd be surprised if it's more than 10 per.

Volcynika

That sucks hcoregamer :(

...I wanted to see if I myself could beat the employees to the punch, and luckily got one today. The girl is like "is this it?" so I took it (yes I pre-ordered). If anyone wants details on it like size/content of it, I'll be glad to take a picture or two after I eat.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Hcoregamer00 said:
Today, I was over in Barnes and Noble, which is 1 minute away from gamestop.

After the store opened at noon I called it shortly afterward about the Valkyria Chronicles preorder. The girl says that they have three left so I head over there in about a minute. As I go over there there were two people in front of me buying some XBOX 360 games, but nothing more.

I went to the counter to present my receipt, and the girl says that they have no more Artbooks left. I told her that she just told me over the phone that they had 3 of them, she said that someone picked it up. I look around the room and I see three employees. Remember that I arrived one minute after I called them, and the previous people in line were buying X360 games. Then I ask her if they will get more of the artbooks, and she says that the three they got is what they will get.

There is no way in hell that they could run out of three preorder bonuses in one minute for a game no one knows about (the game has 4 preorders from that store), which means that those goddamn employees took the artbooks. The best part, those are the only damn artbooks that they were getting.

>_<

This shit happened to me except I was trying to get a Bioshock CE. Asshole told me they had one left and I zoomed over. All of a sudden he 'didn't have it' anymore. Sure dude.

Well, I played the demo and.............

Great...now, there is another game I want to buy on day one coming out this Fall. This game is awesome. Too many games to choose from this year. Unfortunately, this happens literally every year, but this year is truly overkill for wallets.

Hcoregamer00

Well guys, even with this shit that happened to be about the ye-gamestore-that-shall-not-be-named I am still excited about the game. Forget the preorder artbook, I could buy the official bad boy when Sega decides to release an artbook in the future.

I will continue supporting this game by buying those upcoming figures in Play-Asia and of course buying the game when it comes out in November 4th.

Heck, those figures are super sweet, I will likely buy 8 or 9 of them because I know I will get some doubles that I can give to my Valkyria loving friends in Christmas.

darkvir

I hate that crap from EB/Gamestop regarding the pre-order bonuses... I called today to ask whether they've received em, but nothing yet they said.

I got screwed out of the Castlevania pre-order, but its just a sampler disc so I didn't care too much.

I ONLY pre-order from there cuz of the bonuses, if they don't have em, then I see zero point in using them.

Somnia

Hcoregamer00 said:
Well guys, even with this shit that happened to be about the ye-gamestore-that-shall-not-be-named I am still excited about the game. Forget the preorder artbook, I could buy the official bad boy when Sega decides to release an artbook in the future.

I will continue supporting this game by buying those upcoming figures in Play-Asia and of course buying the game when it comes out in November 4th.

Heck, those figures are super sweet, I will likely buy 8 or 9 of them because I know I will get some doubles that I can give to my Valkyria loving friends in Christmas.

Sorry to hear about that man =( That's the one thing I hate about running a good GameStop because others give us bad word of mouth. If I had any extra art books I would get one to send to you, but I only got enough to cover pre-orders (and they will all get theirs!). I will call around town tomorrow and see if anyone got an extra...we have multiple stores in town. No promises because I don't want to take anyone's artbook who has pre-ordered.

Hcoregamer00

Somnia said:
Sorry to hear about that man =( That's the one thing I hate about running a good GameStop because others give us bad word of mouth. If I had any extra art books I would get one to send to you, but I only got enough to cover pre-orders (and they will all get theirs!). I will call around town tomorrow and see if anyone got an extra...we have multiple stores in town. No promises because I don't want to take anyone's artbook who has pre-ordered.

No, it's all good.

I did not post here to get sympathy points, it was just a way to let people know when an injustice was made. I know there are good gamestops out there, but it seems like none of them are in the Riverside area because this one has treated me right for a while (until today).

kiryogi

Banned
Hcoregamer: In the future when calling them and they said they do have it. Tell them that you did preorder one and have them hold it for you. That'll pretty much bind them to do so, and if not, you can take it up to their DM about it. They wouldn't want that.

Hcoregamer00

kiryogi said:
Hcoregamer: In the future when calling them and they said they do have it. Tell them that you did preorder one and have them hold it for you. That'll pretty much bind them to do so, and if not, you can take it up to their DM about it. They wouldn't want that.

Yeah, I told them that I did preorder one, but I didn't ask them to hold it for me.

Of course, knowing my luck they probably would have denied the whole thing. After all, they brazenly took 3 artbooks for themselves. Sure I would understand if they took if if they preordered it, but they didn't even know what platform the game was on. So I seriously doubt that they preordered the game for themselves and held it in the back of the store.

kiryogi

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Yeah, I told them that I did preorder one, but I didn't ask them to hold it for me.

Of course, knowing my luck they probably would have denied the whole thing. After all, they brazenly took 3 artbooks for themselves. Sure I would understand if they took if if they preordered it, but they didn't even know what platform the game was on. So I seriously doubt that they preordered the game for themselves and held it in the back of the store.

They could deny it, but taking it up to the DM means trouble as it is. Well, try their store manager then the district manager. The biggest thing they want is the customer satisfied. Maybe not them, but the DM will see to it if you make a big enough fit. They'd be forced to look around for one, or cough up the ones they took.

Hcoregamer00

kiryogi said:
They could deny it, but taking it up to the DM means trouble as it is. Well, try their store manager then the district manager. The biggest thing they want is the customer satisfied. Maybe not them, but the DM will see to it if you make a big enough fit. They'd be forced to look around for one, or cough up the ones they took.

Well, with my situation now, is it sufficient enough to make a case with the store manager?

The problem is that it is my word against theirs, and I was so irritated at the development that I canceled my preorder and got my money back.

If I were to somehow get my preorder back, then I could put the money back into the system, but I doubt it will happen.

kiryogi

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Well, with my situation now, is it sufficient enough to make a case with the store manager?

The problem is that it is my word against theirs, and I was so irritated at the development that I canceled my preorder and got my money back.

If I were to somehow get my preorder back, then I could put the money back into the system, but I doubt it will happen.

That varies. Seeing your history with them so far, I take it you don't shop there too often? If you were a regular or at least often bought from them, it'd make it an easier arguement. Also , depends on the manager himself if he's not as low as those employees are. It might be best to take this up straight with the DM and tell him your side of the story. As things stand currently, they don't want to lose a customer. Tell him basically if you can resolve this little manner, you'd be glad to preorder it again or something. I mean you had all intention to buy it after all. Just make sure to tell him the entire thing, how they said they did have some and etc.

OH one more thing. Did you keep your receipt for the cancel? If so, fill out that web survey that's on it and tell them the situation there too. Of course, try to take it up with the DM personally if you're up for it.

Hcoregamer00

kiryogi said:
That varies. Seeing your history with them so far, I take it you don't shop there too often? If you were a regular or at least often bought from them, it'd make it an easier arguement. Also , depends on the manager himself if he's not as low as those employees are. It might be best to take this up straight with the DM and tell him your side of the story. As things stand currently, they don't want to lose a customer. Tell him basically if you can resolve this little manner, you'd be glad to preorder it again or something. I mean you had all intention to buy it after all. Just make sure to tell him the entire thing, how they said they did have some and etc.

OH one more thing. Did you keep your receipt for the cancel? If so, fill out that web survey that's on it and tell them the situation there too. Of course, try to take it up with the DM personally if you're up for it.

Thanks, now I have an idea of what to do.

I will keep you guys posted on what is going on.

sonicmj1

Considering this is the official thread, I'm kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned the recent Eurogamer review.

8/10 for the lazy among you. They liked a lot of things about the game, but were pretty annoyed by some occasionally glitchy AI and the dodgy handling of splash damage for explosives, among other things.

KTallguy

Banned
I was playing this a bit this weekend (JP version though).

What does the opening movie look like? There's no J-poppy song right?
Is it more "hard"?

I really love Sakamoto's music :)
And it's fun, but I've only played the first 3 missions.
Anyway, you guys should all go buy this.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Just a question, not trying to start anything, but has anything been mentioned about this coming to 360?

Hcoregamer00 said:
Thanks, now I have an idea of what to do.

I will keep you guys posted on what is going on.

I await the results. EB/Gamestop employees are jerks, and some of their policies are terrible. I've personally stopped buying from them unless I absolutely cannot purchase the game anywhere else (typically niche games).

One of my personal stories - they managed to screw up my PREORDER of Soul Calibur 4 SE for PS3 with an Xbox360 version, which an Xbox360 I do not have. And they SOLD OUT of the PS3 edition to boot! Happened to my friend at the same time too, from a different EB.

That and their gutted copies. I tell ya, it's bad business practice. I can't wait to hear the results of your complaints, Hcoregamer. You and all of us deserve to be treated better.

kiryogi

Banned
sonicmj1 said:
Considering this is the official thread, I'm kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned the recent Eurogamer review.

8/10 for the lazy among you. They liked a lot of things about the game, but were pretty annoyed by some occasionally glitchy AI and the dodgy handling of splash damage for explosives, among other things.

8/10's about right for this game. I was saying personally myself elsewhere the game was more of a B, B+. But by no means an A or 9/10.

Yazuka

That sucks Hcoregamer. Really sucks. =/
They did the same thing with me, but on the MGS4 preorder bonus. Yeah, sure it was only a t-shirt, but they really promised me one. When I got there, same as you 1minute after opening, they where all gone.

Durante

kiryogi said:
Problem with that review is that a 10/10 means its perfect, and Senjou is nowhere close to that.
No game is perfect. 10 doesn't mean perfect, it means that reviewer considers it an outstanding title.

Gamer @ Heart said:
I hope to pick it up early next year for cheap.
Nothing personal, but I hope that won't be possible :p

kiryogi

Banned
Durante said:
No game is perfect. 10 doesn't mean perfect, it means that reviewer considers it an outstanding title.

Apparently Famitsu thinks Nintendogs is :D

Gamer @ Heart said:
I hope Sega has some realistic expectations for this game...

I hope to pick it up early next year for cheap.

In contrast to Durante there, I'd say its possible. sega bomb = price drop!!

Dreavus

I just finished playing the demo, and I'm totally sold on this game.

It might not be day one, but I will be picking this up! :D

Top Bottom