• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Durante

nofi said:
The PAL version comes with Japanese and English voices, but only English subs, is that what you wanted? There's an optional 4GB install too, but I found the disk load times were fine as they were.
It's good to see dual audio completely confirmed for the PAL version as well. I didn't really doubt it, but now it's 100%. I also added the information about the optional install to the OP.

Guymelef

nofi said:
mm3h3a.jpg

Yay!

Retail version?

Durante

It's a review copy, see previous page.

Hmm, either I have bad memory or some mod ultra-stealth edited the thread title. I could've sworn I had
"Valkyria Chronicles - Official Thread - Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay"
and now it's
"Valkyria Chronicles Official Thread - Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay".

If true, most subtle thread title edit ever?

S. L.

Durante said:
It's a review copy, see previous page.

Hmm, either I have bad memory or some mod ultra-stealth edited the thread title. I could've sworn I had
"Valkyria Chronicles - Official Thread - Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay"
and now it's
"Valkyria Chronicles Official Thread - Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay".

If true, most subtle thread title edit ever?
you are not mistaken
untitled-10zd.jpg

rykomatsu

Hcoregamer00 said:
Unless I see word bubbles, it is not manga style to me.

(I have over 900 volumes of manga, I know what manga is)

anime doesn't use onomatopoeia (sp) frequently whereas manga uses it all the time...

let's just go with the happy medium of "it's a mix of both" :p

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Guybrush Threepwood said:
Also you can't post hentai.

Ironically enough, my manga collection is mostly shojo (girls manga).

rykomatsu said:
anime doesn't use onomatopoeia (sp) frequently whereas manga uses it all the time...

let's just go with the happy medium of "it's a mix of both" :p

Sure, I can agree to that.

Quixzlizx

I picked up my artbook from Gamestop today, along with my LBP pre-order and SOCOM for the headset for the R2 beta. Today was good for gaming, bad for my wallet. :D

Billen

Banned
With so many games to play, so many new titles, and a couple of them at home that I haven't had time to play, yet I still can't wait for this to be released.

Successful marriage between western and asian game development influences?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I had no idea what this game was when I played the demo. Wow. I like shooting things, but I get tired of high-stress gameplay. Traditional RPGs can be good in the dead of winter, but otherwise I want something fresh. This is it.

kay

Dice said:
I had no idea what this game was when I played the demo. Wow. I like shooting things, but I get tired of high-stress gameplay. Traditional RPGs can be good in the dead of winter, but otherwise I want something fresh. This is it.
Possibly the greatest thing about the game, so mellow; a breath of fresh air for sure.

Hcoregamer00

Billen said:
With so many games to play, so many new titles, and a couple of them at home that I haven't had time to play, yet I still can't wait for this to be released.

Successful marriage between western and asian game development influences?

I disagree with that assertion that it is a marriage between western and asian game development influences.

If anything, it is an evolution of a traditional subgenre of Japanese RPG's called Strategy RPG's. The game has all the hallmarks of a strategy RPG, but it adds new twists and polishes the gameplay to perfection.

Instead of a grid based system, it breaks free of that shell and uses a more dynamic movement system that takes into account the type of weapon being carried and the specialty of the soldier. Instead of having static characters moving on this grid based system, there is dynamic cross fire as you move from one location to another, ratcheting up the intensity. Instead of taking place in medieval worlds, the setting takes place in a vicious war of conquest in a modern setting.

kay

I don't think it reminds me of any western developed games either. Ring of Red + Operation Darkness seems like a fit description, although I've only played OD but I have seen many reference to ROR here.

Farnack

Banned
Actually, it reminds me of what Fallout 3 should have been if it kept to the grid based Fallout 2 battle system. :lol

Hcoregamer00

Acid08 said:
I finally got around to playing the demo. Now I have another fucking game to buy this holiday.

Is that really a bad thing?

Because the demo exposed you to a game that would otherwise fall through the cracks.

Hcoregamer00

Kagari said:
I hope it becomes a sleeper hit!

Same here, I don't want a "Phoenix Wright Scenario" where the game is released and sells like shit. Then the small amount of people that played the game will tell their friends about it, and sales will increase through word of mouth (after the game was considered dead and buried by the company).

I just want it to do well enough that enough people will like it and Sega is content with sales.

Acid08

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Is that really a bad thing?

Because the demo exposed you to a game that would otherwise fall through the cracks.
Its bad because my wallet wants to kill itself :(. I couldn't be more excited to play :D

Farnack

Banned
I think I will probably have to pick this up even though I was limiting myself to LBP and Lich King for the year.

Anyways, does anywhere else do the artbook stuff other than that crappy store? >_< In Canada?

Hcoregamer00

Acid08 said:
Its bad because my wallet wants to kill itself :(. I couldn't be more excited to play :D

Don't worry, as your wallet is threatening suicide just do an intervention.

Hopefully you can make it feel better about itself since it is making you happy.

:p

Farnack said:
I think I will probably have to pick this up even though I was limiting myself to LBP and Lich King for the year.

Anyways, does anywhere else do the artbook stuff other than that crappy store? >_< In Canada?

Trust me, if I knew of another store that had the artbook, I would have bought it from there instead.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Farnack said:

Nope, think it's EB onry.

Farnack

Banned
Oh well, I'd rather have my shrink wrap copy protected under a layer of thick plastic than getting my game from a sleeve thrown into an opened box. ~shake fist~

Hcoregamer00

Farnack said:
Oh well, I'd rather have my shrink wrap copy protected under a layer of thick plastic than getting my game from a sleeve thrown into an opened box. ~shake fist~

Just pick the game up early so that you wont get a nice "new copy" that was already opened.

(God I hate EB/Gamestop)

neight said:
Man I can't believe the day is almost here.

Same here, it was only yesterday that the game was announced in a Famitsu magazine

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Quixzlizx said:
I picked up my artbook from Gamestop today, along with my LBP pre-order and SOCOM for the headset for the R2 beta. Today was good for gaming, bad for my wallet. :D

What are your impressions of the artbook? Is it worth paying 15 more dollars for?

klee123

The sales shouldn't be too bad considering the positive impressions of the demo from all video game related forums I frequent to.

But yeah, PAL version day one.

Top Bottom