• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Tiktaalik

radiantdreamer said:
The most probable reason is because November is basically release month. It's an almost unbreakable pattern of Black Friday. You want to tag as many shoppers as you can to buy the game for the holiday season.

Sega doesn't have to worry about the hardcore SRPG gamers out there. Their marketing tactics have been to bombard us with PSN trailer downloads and freebie promo wallpapers and themes. Admit it, you were pretty much sold when you first saw glimpses of this game.

In terms of FPS players and other hardcore gamers, let me put it this way - FPS is a tried and true formula. People will continue to flock to it like how people continue to buy NHL 98 -er I mean NHL 08. Sega fighting this mindless crowd is a lost cause.

I think that their target for this release date is actually the semi-casual gamer. The art style, the ingeniously simple gameplay, and cleverly attractive character design, not to mention a flashy high contrast box art is aimed at people who don't know much about the game but are curious enough to give it a try, or to buy it for their significant others.

It's the same reason why people buy those Petz or Cooking Mama games.

I'm pretty skeptical that any semi-casual gamer would be interested in this, but I'll agree with you that November could certainly give a bounce to a game based on the shopping season/black friday alone.

I'm not sure, I think the fact that a person like myself who bought FFTactics and Advance Wars day one is passing on this game (at least for a few months) should concern Sega execs. Hopefully the gamers passing on it for now actually remember to buy it later...

It'll probably do fine, and Durante is right in that while it is 3D, it's no Gears of War so maybe it's cheaper than we think. Wait till November NPD I guess!

Baha

ukiraros said:
As Hcoregamer00 mentioned in the demo thread about the artbook. The artbook is already available at my EBGames and I just brought it back home. It's not a hard cover and it's about 32 pages. It's actually pretty nice.

You're in the US right? *sigh* I doubt it but I hope my EB Games gets their shipment soon.

Tiktaalik said:
I'm pretty skeptical that any semi-casual gamer would be interested in this, but I'll agree with you that November could certainly give a bounce to a game based on the shopping season/black friday alone.

I'm not sure, I think the fact that a person like myself who bought FFTactics and Advance Wars day one is passing on this game (at least for a few months) should concern Sega execs. Hopefully the gamers passing on it for now actually remember to buy it later...

It'll probably do fine, and Durante is right in that while it is 3D, it's no Gears of War so maybe it's cheaper than we think. Wait till November NPD I guess!

Any particular reason why you're passing on it? You have higher priorities? You're "not as into SRPGs as you used to be"?

I personally began to dislike Advance Wars, and most SRPGs after that actually turned me off because it was the same-old same-old. VC has definitely rekindled my interest.

I guess I would define a semi-casual gamer as someone who plays games like Katamari Damacy, Nintendogs, and Zelda. They're also people who like Okami, cute things like anime girls, and also play the occasional final fantasy. They're not hardcore enough to play all the way through most of these games, but have a curiosity because they "like the look and feel" of the game more than the "superfluous" things such as storyline, or who shot first Han or Greedo.

Durante

Tiktaalik said:
I'm not sure, I think the fact that a person like myself who bought FFTactics and Advance Wars day one is passing on this game (at least for a few months) should concern Sega execs.
I don't think they should be any more concerned than Bethesda execs should be about the fact that I - someone who bought Fallout 1/2 and TES 2-4 - am passing on Fallout 3 and getting VC. And a friend of mine is doing the same, what a colossal win in the battle of anecdotal evidence! :lol

Durante said:
I don't think they should be any more concerned than Bethesda execs should be about the fact that I - someone who bought Fallout 1/2 and TES 2-4 - am passing on Fallout 3 and getting VC. And a friend of mine is doing the same, what a colossal win in the battle of anecdotal evidence! :lol

:D sogood.gif

I am really hopeful, for the game industry's sake, that game is epically the turning point for games in the future. Too bad Psychonauts went unnoticed...

Tiktaalik

radiantdreamer said:
Any particular reason why you're passing on it? You have higher priorities? You're "not as into SRPGs as you used to be"?

I like SRPGs, but there are other genres I like more, so if in the same week a top tier SRPG and a top tier FPS/RPG/something else comes out there's a pretty strong reason I'll get the latter.

radiantdreamer said:
I guess I would define a semi-casual gamer as someone who plays games like Katamari Damacy, Nintendogs, and Zelda. They're also people who like Okami, cute things like anime girls, and also play the occasional final fantasy. They're not hardcore enough to play all the way through most of these games, but have a curiosity because they "like the look and feel" of the game more than the "superfluous" things such as storyline, or who shot first Han or Greedo.

I'm not exactly sure if this market exists, or at least I haven't met anyone like this.

Tiktaalik

Yeah so this is all just my hunch, and it's fairly off topic so it's not worth that much discussion. It'll be worth bringing up again around Nov NPD time.

Tiktaalik said:
I'm not exactly sure if this market exists, or at least I haven't met anyone like this.

Oh it does. You'd be surprised how many +30 year old gamers fall into this category, both men and women alike.

Well, Nintendogs might be stretching it a little bit, I suppose. But these are the people that also have the most money to spare. They don't have to concern about kids too much yet, but lack the time outside of their regular social agenda to really get hardcore.

They have their interests in addition to video games, such as watching Heroes or watching anime sometimes, or whatever other little hobby the have managed to drag from their 20's into their current demographic.

Baha

With the amount of great titles coming out late October and early November, I don't expect this game to breach the top 10 charts come NPD. In fact, I would hope this title becomes a slow burn, garnering sales slowly but surely in the coming months. I think it would be a more realistic success that way considering that it has barely any marketing over here.

Here's an interesting question - if the art style wasn't so heavily anime, and made more americanized, do you think it would be on more people's minds? Do you think it would have gotten more publicity from game magazines?

I think the art style fits this game perfectly, and disrupting it would obviously have major negative impact on the overall experience. But in terms of market penetration, I think it might have a better chance.

edit: I guess I should make it a little more concrete. What if it looked like Tomb Raider Legend, or Mirror's Edge?

Durante

Though I find the very idea utterly distasteful, it is an interesting point of discussion. But is it really for this thread?

Anyway, do you mean a more realistic style or a more western, but still stylized, look? Because it's important to note that the former would have been significantly more expensive to develop to a level of similar visual quality, and I can't think of many games featuring the latter (outside of Blizzard) that have been highly successful.

Fake edit in response to your edit:
Since I take that to mean a more realistic style, then, when keeping the same budget, it would probably have looked more like Dynasty Warriors than either of those western-developed, short, high-budget titles you mentioned. I very much doubt that would have helped sales. I certainly wouldn't have made a thread for it :p

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
radiantdreamer said:
Here's an interesting question - if the art style wasn't so heavily anime, and made more americanized, do you think it would be on more people's minds? Do you think it would have gotten more publicity from game magazines?

I think the art style fits this game perfectly, and disrupting it would obviously have major negative impact on the overall experience. But in terms of market penetration, I think it might have a better chance.

Hell no, part of the charm of the game is that it is the anime style.

I bet that if Canada does get the bonus it will end up being first come, first serve. I didn't even pre-order Dead Space but got the art book by buying it day one, early in the afternoon. Still I may just drop in and pre-order the game this weekend.

Also I did not know that the NA demo had been released, I'm going to download it even though I played the UK demo on my buddies PS3.

Hcoregamer00

d0g_bear said:
(neutral) Hcoregamer00
(Today, 08:27 PM)
Reply | Quote

How disappointing, I expected someone to use my tag in something that is more relevant response to a post I made.

Spiegel

Katana_Strikes said:
Great thread. Loves the quotes part. Nice touch!

BTW anyone from the UK who's interested in this game pop along to the hut:
http://www.thehut.com/hut/9997576.product

With the HALLOWEEN discount you can get it for a £25.93. Amazing price!

I've just ordered my copy at that price.

11bn1a9.gif

Cancelling blahdvd preorder

Thanks katana

Mmm, day one. The demo rocked, but I've been hyped about this game for months. :D

I just wish we'd get those lovely pre-order bonuses in at work. >_>

zurra

Hcoregamer00 said:
Hell no, part of the charm of the game is that it is the anime style.
Pretty much. If it wasn't for the art style (the character design mostly but certainly the engine as well), i wouldn't even be interested in it.

Hcoregamer00

makingmusic476 said:
I'd love to know how you got that tag. :lol

Blame Selvaria

(No seriously)

zurra said:
Pretty much. If it wasn't for the art style (the character design mostly but certainly the engine as well), i wouldn't even be interested in it.

Yeah, I love the art style and the character design.

I would not like the game as much as I do if it had a more realistic look.

I gotta say, I don't like RPGs that much (not since the first Dragon Quest - yeah, I know), let alone SRPGs, but this game is fucking rad. It uses so many tropes from RPGs, but I don't know--they make sense here and it's actually fun and engaging. I'm saving up cash for something but this would be an awesome Christmas gift.

Farnack

Banned
Knify said:
According to the OP, "Dual audio option (choose between English and Japanese voice acting)," yep.
Bah, I was searching "language" instead.

Missed that.

So, any non-EBgames/Gamestop places giving out them books too?

Tailzo

Hcoregamer00 said:
Blame Selvaria

(No seriously)

Yeah, I love the art style and the character design.

I would not like the game as much as I do if it had a more realistic look.
I agree, but then again, I've always liked manga art. Another reason, is how it reminds me about Skies of Arkadia. (Even more when I've actually seen characters from Skies in Valkyria...)

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
mm3h3a.jpg

:lol :lol Never gets old...

Anyway, I'm still on the fence with this one, despite trying the demo. Do they build on the dynamics of play, with new attack types, zonal status effects, elements etc...? The rock paper, scissors format it uses seems a bit too straight-forward, but then, that's the inherent nature of tutorial/intro levels. Does it get a little more complex?

nofi

Cataferal said:
:lol :lol Never gets old...

Anyway, I'm still on the fence with this one, despite trying the demo. Do they build on the dynamics of play, with new attack types, zonal status effects, elements etc...? The rock paper, scissors format it uses seems a bit too straight-forward, but then, that's the inherent nature of tutorial/intro levels. Does it get a little more complex?

:lol

If you're asking me, I don't know, haven't played it yet.

Blunty

Is there anyway you can download PS3 demo's on your computer and then transfer them across? I can't get internet on my PS3 anymore, and I'm not sure about whether I should buy this game or not without playing it. My lack of online is gonna make LittleBigPlanet crap but ah well :(

Durante

? said:
Even in the demo skirmish I don't really see it as rock/paper/scissor, as the terrain and especially the positioning plays such a large role (for both offense and defense). Also, in terms of zonal status effect, at least some of the character specials appear to be zone-specific. For example, in the last Skirmish I played I lost my sniper because of the suddon onset of her pollen allergy :lol

Blunty said:
Is there anyway you can download PS3 demo's on your computer and then transfer them across? I can't get internet on my PS3 anymore, and I'm not sure about whether I should buy this game or not without playing it.
Sadly I don't believe that's possible. But you can try to read the GAF demo impressions in the OP to help you make upyour mind ;)

Darkpen

Banned
durante, why is each and every one of the section titles, like "Basics" and whatever, accompanied by only the symbol for Scout? D:

Shito

Cataferal said:
Nearly each map has its own little "scenario", with situations or new mechanics that help keep the game very fresh.
It is not like your usual SRPG where you use a complex and deep system of play on several maps that all look the same or never bring anything more than "kill them all / kill the boss / save character X": in Valkyria each map tries to bring some strategy elements to a rather "simple" system, and believe me it works wonder!

Durante

Darkpen said:
durante, why is each and every one of the section titles, like "Basics" and whatever, accompanied by only the symbol for Scout? D:
OH NO IT WAS DISCOVERED. :lol
It's because I made the header backgrounds by just varying the Hue of the picture. Initially I planned on using a distinct symbol for each section, but the lack of high-quality full resolution screenshots on the internet thwarted that plan.

But I'm still quite happy with the final outcome, it has some nice consistency to it.

nofi

klee123 said:
Check and see if the game is bilingual!

The PAL version comes with Japanese and English voices, but only English subs, is that what you wanted? There's an optional 4GB install too, but I found the disk load times were fine as they were.

Top Bottom