• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Uh, the anime designs look just fine to me, i don't see the problem -_-
sure, they look a bit 'cleaner', and looks like selvaria's got lip stick on etc etc, but they look pretty much the same to me

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Holyshitthisgameisawesome.

I bought it last week at Tesco for £20 after scouring all the game stores with no luck. I'm up to Chapter 7 and getting hammered more and more :( I think I need to play skirmishes more to level up before taking on Maximillian's tank.

Baha

Jill Sandwich said:
Holyshitthisgameisawesome.

I bought it last week at Tesco for £20 after scouring all the game stores with no luck. I'm up to Chapter 7 and getting hammered more and more :( I think I need to play skirmishes more to level up before taking on Maximillian's tank.

You don't have to level up for this. In fact my friend beat the game with level 1 characters on purpose. What you need to do is formulate a strategy based on what you learn from previous attempts on that mission. You can beat any mission in this game without grinding if you can come up with a good strategy.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
androvsky said:
In other words, save your undiluted hate for everything that isn't the game... you'll need it when we find out how they've screwed up the story. Trust me, I'm a Sakura Taisen fan. I know how these things work.

You are now awesome on principle. :p

kswiston

Finally received my copy from Amazon.ca after waiting for the past month. I'm glad I ordered it when I did, because the price on Amazon.ca went from $53.99 to $69.99 in the time it took my order to arrive (damn exchange rates!).

Anyhow, I am just starting chapter 2. Interesting so far. The combat system is a breath of fresh air from the usual fire emblem/tactics ogre clones.

Danielsan

Started playing again after a long break, I had forgotten just how great this game is.
Sega really is on a roll this gen. Valkyria Chronicles, Yakuza and all the Platinum Games stuff. :)

nny

Danielsan said:
Started playing again after a long break, I had forgotten just how great this game is.

Same here. I'm dedicating some time to this game again, and it's so good. I'm halfway through it, taking my time.

Koren

androvsky said:
In other words, save your undiluted hate for everything that isn't the game... you'll need it when we find out how they've screwed up the story. Trust me, I'm a Sakura Taisen fan. I know how these things work.
I am too (I don't want to know how much money I put into the series and products, I even went several times to Romando). Still :
- I was interested in the series after seeing the first four OAVs
- I actually liked the movie and the TV series, even if they're not perfect. The OAV, though, are pretty bad compared to the games, indeed

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ugh. Does anyone have a link to that fan art picture that someone drew?

The one with Alicia killing someone then smiling while Rosie is in the background looking freaked out?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
androvsky said:
The funny thing is the anime Selveria looks much closer to your avatar pic than it does the cutscene you posted; virtually the same pose and everything. It's really not that bad.
No, they aren't that bad at all. The overreactions are hilarious. :lol

I don't think they'll pull a Sakura Taisen in terms of the storyline with this one. With ST, the OVAs were never meant to substitute for telling the whole story of the first game sadly, and the TV series was essentially a reboot. VC's story is pretty straightforward, the only thing I can see them possibly doing is adding side-stories for some of the other Squad 7 people if the series goes 24+ eps.

Darkpen

Banned
wow, it amazes me how the character artist for the anime butchered the eyes for these characters into some sort of psuedo shoujo-manga style that completely ruins the original appeal from the game.

I just made it to Ch. 13 over the weekend and OMG @
Issra's death right as Rosie was finally going to come clean stop hating her for being a dark hair. Such a striking moment, and I thought her funeral was done well, nice song by Rosie too.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Darkpen said:
wow, it amazes me how the character artist for the anime butchered the eyes for these characters into some sort of psuedo shoujo-manga style that completely ruins the original appeal from the game.

Silence you, shojo is awesome.

The anime is nothing like the Shojo artstyle.

Darkpen said:

Wow. You have no idea what you're talking about.

SonComet

Finally beat this game today. I've never played a strategy game before, so this game was definitely a pleasant surprise. Sometimes it could be extremely frustrating, but once I got the hang of it it became very rewarding to come up with great strategies. Though the final mission did take well over an hour until I figured out how easy it was. The story, though basic, was incredibly well done. Far more engaging and powerful than I thought it would be (I'm getting used to being disappointed by RPG stories). Made me want a Skies of Arcadia sequel real bad.

MoogPaul

CiSTM said:
Not for me. Does anyone know good online store where I could get good deal of this game ?

the game is hard enough to find at full price, let alone at a discount.

ps: you are part of the problem.

CiSTM

Banned
MoogPaul said:
the game is hard enough to find at full price, let alone at a discount.

ps: you are part of the problem.

Really ? I haven't had any trouble finding this game with full price tag.

ps: I'm not gonna pay full price for a game if I'm not interested in it. I played the demo and it really wasn't that great but I could play it to kill a time every now and then.

Defuser

CiSTM said:
Really ? I haven't had any trouble finding this game with full price tag.

ps: I'm not gonna pay full price for a game if I'm not interested in it. I played the demo and it really wasn't that great but I could play it to kill a time every now and then.
Then don't buy it. Valkyria Chonicles doesn't deserve cheap ass gamers.

Issun23

Question for those who completed New Game+. Is there a new report that's only available on the second playthrough?

Got my squad to level 20 couple of days ago, now aiming to get all Imperial and Royal weapons for the medal. Still have to get some tank parts too. After that I'll go through Hard Skirmish mode.

Played for 60-65 hours or so already but I'm still not nearly tired of this game. My favourite title this generation (sorry Uncharted and Metal Gear I love you but Valkyria is that amazing.) :D

CiSTM

Banned
Aginor said:
what are you a pauper ?

Well as I said this isn't one of those "OMG I must have this" games so I don't see any reason to pay full price. But I'm bit interested in it and it could be fun game to kill time with.

Defuser

CiSTM said:
Well as I said this isn't one of those "OMG I must have this" games so I don't see any reason to pay full price. But I'm bit interested in it and it could be fun game to kill time with.
Because it's a great game that deserves $60 regardless it's a must get or not? Either you buy it full price or you don't get the game at all.

RpgN

Defuser said:
Because it's a great game that deserves $60 regardless it's a must get or not? Either you buy it full price or you don't get the game at all.

Easy there, you're scaring him to death :lol

Haunted

I'm so happy to have scored the game new for 34€ at amazon.co.uk right after Christmas. Price jumped up to 40 pounds (or 45€) again since then. God, I love those exchange rates - game still is 70€ here in Germany.

stalker

I just bought the game new for 29,95€. It went down in price here in Spain in most places I think.

It's a shame I will not be able to play it for a long time; whenever I buy a PS3.

zurra

gokieks said:
It's being made by A-1, which is part of Aniplex, which is part of Sony.

Seriously, anyone who was expecting the anime to mimic the watercolor-esque look of the game either don't know much about anime production or was delusional - there is just no way they would be able to justify the costs of producing something like that for a non-established IP like VC, especially if it's going to be a series and not an OVA/movie.
The watercolor style worked fine for Honey & Clover and Nodame Cantabile. If they would have used that kind of art style (not character designs, just the general look of the animation and art) it would be a lot better than what it looks like now.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Defuser said:

Whoa, that's not cool at all. Everyone has different opinions about what's worth $60 and what isn't. I think VC is worth all $60, but not everyone else does.

I spent $140 on Sakura Taisen V LE and to me it was worth every penny. I showed it to a few friends of mine and they couldn't understand why I'd even pay $50, let alone $140. It's not for everyone at that price.

Also, times are tough and we all gotta make cuts. As much as I wanted to get Street Fighter IV and Fire Emblem DS, Dragon Quest V and Prinny were higher on my list of priorities and I could only afford those for now. I will probably wait for Street Fighter IV to come down in price before I buy it, doesn't make me a heathen.

Dyne

Holy crap, Chapter 10 is beefy. Impressive.

Also wow @ the Ellet fanservice report costing 50,000. Worth every penny.

So is DLC confirmed then?

Theyre being awfully slow with the DLC. I have money I wish to give you Sega. By Early 2009 I expected between Jan-March, so hopefully we'll hear soon. Hope its either the Edy or Selvaria pack first as opposed to just the Hard mode..

RurouniZel said:
Whoa, that's not cool at all. Everyone has different opinions about what's worth $60 and what isn't. I think VC is worth all $60, but not everyone else does.

Yeah that's what their discussion was saying. Thanks for posting a re-cap on the same page.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Defuser said:

or you could pick it up for 3 dollars off on amazon right now! :)

Nekobo

The game is totally worth $60. Refreshingly original, amazing aesthetics, and awesome hybrid gameplay...buy buy buy.

When's the DLC coming out? I thought it'd be out February. :(

Nose Master

I don't know if it's everywhere, but I saw this game for 25% off new at a local Best Buy. If you were waiting to pick it up. They had tons of copies, too. I thought it was rare?

Nose Master said:
I don't know if it's everywhere, but I saw this game for 25% off new at a local Best Buy. If you were waiting to pick it up. They had tons of copies, too. I thought it was rare?

It is. Clearance sales like that at Best Buy aren't a given, and after that you're gonna be stuck with eBay and inflated used game prices.

mrbagdt

i finally sucked it up and paid full price for this game. i got one of those stupid edge cards and i thought i would stop buying new games and only buy used ones to try and save cash, but this game has not come in used anywhere and i was just sick of waiting. man, it is addictive and very very fun! i am usually one to skip over stories and not read everything, but it is actually pretty interesting and it helps keep you involved in the game instead of just doing battles over and over.

throughout the game, what battles wind up becoming skirmishes? i thought the bridge level, for example, was a really cool one to do and coming up with a good strategy was a lot of fun.

i read these comments saying that you dont need to level up characters and upgrade weapons and stuff, but is that really true? i mean, i kinda think it is fun to do.... and it doesn't seem like it makes or breaks the gameplay if you grinded everybody to really high levels- if you have a crappy game plan you will fail the level regardless, right?

anyway, it is good stuff and was a good purchase. i was trying to pick between this, sf4 and kz2, and i think i made the right choice.

Baha

mrbagdt said:
i finally sucked it up and paid full price for this game. i got one of those stupid edge cards and i thought i would stop buying new games and only buy used ones to try and save cash, but this game has not come in used anywhere and i was just sick of waiting. man, it is addictive and very very fun! i am usually one to skip over stories and not read everything, but it is actually pretty interesting and it helps keep you involved in the game instead of just doing battles over and over.

throughout the game, what battles wind up becoming skirmishes? i thought the bridge level, for example, was a really cool one to do and coming up with a good strategy was a lot of fun.

i read these comments saying that you dont need to level up characters and upgrade weapons and stuff, but is that really true? i mean, i kinda think it is fun to do.... and it doesn't seem like it makes or breaks the gameplay if you grinded everybody to really high levels- if you have a crappy game plan you will fail the level regardless, right?

anyway, it is good stuff and was a good purchase. i was trying to pick between this, sf4 and kz2, and i think i made the right choice.

You don't have to grind if you can devise a good strategy. There are perks for grinding up however (orders, potentials, elite status @ lvl 11). Congrats on getting a copy, hopefully the dlc will be released soon.

tass0

Banned
I ordered this game today along with SF4, Resident Evil 5 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I hope it's here within the week :D

patsu

mrbagdt said:

Yes. I completed the game. Didn't grind at all (No time !). Didn't play any sidequest or buy any reports.

Use commands and the friendship between the soldiers to help you get out of sticky situations.

Top Bottom