• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

gokieks

Snaku said:
Pissed me off how they handled this. They've adjusted the release date of this thing a half dozen times at least, and now they just straight up cancel the orders hours before putting it up for pre-order again? So I lost the $26 pre-order with Prime shipping for what? Incompetence?

I'd guess probably some sort of communication issue between Amazon and UDON. Anyway, if you pre-order it again and then contact Amazon CS with both your old and new order numbers, they should be able to adjust the new order to the same price and shipping as the old one.

DarthWoo said:
I'd only gotten my PS3 last month, so I never thought to get the original VC back when it was easily found for $20 with free shipping. In the past month I'd never seen it dip particularly below $26, so I finally caved and ordered it along with FF 13 which happened to be on sale. I feel I'm going to love the game even though I've pretty much had every event in the game spoiled all to hell by playing thoroughly through VC2.

I got my PS3 in January but I pretty much did the same. Ordered this and Resonance of Fate from amazon last Friday, got em' on Monday. I had already watched the anime for this game, but spoiled or not this is a damn fine game. Wish 2 + 3 would get ported to PS3.

And so begin's HD Remake hope.

I dont know about you guys but im using amazon.ca and my order has not yet been cancelled. All that happened was the delivery date was pushed all the way back into mid july for about 28 bucks if im not mistaken. I'm such a big fan i really hope it does come!

Dunan

Found in my in-box today:

Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on April 23 2011 (Order# 105-5045521-9547xxx). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Sega "Valkyria Chronicles: Design Archive"
Estimated arrival date: August 15 2011 - August 19 2011

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

August, huh? Well, as long as the book eventually comes out!

hitmon

Dunan said:

Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on April 23 2011 (Order# 105-5045521-9547xxx). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Yeah I got the same email. I hope it comes out this year, it just keeps getting pushed back.

LTTP,

I'm very very pleased with this game. Very pleasantly surprised by the artstyle, the breakthrough gameplay and I'm extremely happy with the squad character interactions and how each player fits in with the group. This definitively brings back some very pleasing Strategy RPG memories. I think it's very much a spiritual successor to FFT.

Simply awesome. I wonder if the handheld sequels stand up to it.

SykoTech

Uncompromisable said:
I wonder if the handheld sequels stand up to it.

VCII pales in comparison, but is still a pretty good game regardless. VCIII apparently can stand up to the original game (aside from the smaller maps), but it looks like importing is going to be the only way to play that one. :(

Dunan

SykoTech said:
VCII pales in comparison, but is still a pretty good game regardless. VCIII apparently can stand up to the original game (aside from the smaller maps), but it looks like importing is going to be the only way to play that one. :(

Seconded. VC3, from what I've seen so far (I'm on Chapter 12), has background reveals that make parts of VC2's plot more interesting. Not sure if these are retcons or if they were planned from the beginning, but (VC2 and 3 spoilers)
the fact that Gallian records are doctored so as to take all credit away from the Nameless means that Leon Hardins gets credit for singlehandedly disabling/killing a huge number of soldiers in a battle that was really won by the Nameless, with him as just one somewhat-minor participant. This is presumably the source of the stellar record that gets him chosen to be a V2, and ultimately leads to his demise. In fact he was nothing more than a regular good soldier.

(This could be wrong; I've still got a whole lot of VC3 left to play. Please, nobody reveal anything more!)

gunbo13

Can I come into this thread now and just say that this is the best video game this generation?

And talk about it afterwards of course.

Dunan said:

Hello,

Weird. They straight up cancelled my order after a few previous delays. I just assumed it was never coming.

Lain

I received that email last week. I hope this is the last time the date is pushed back, because it got to the point of becoming depressing. Leaving aside that my hopes for the artbook for VC2 to get a similar treatment as this (getting translated) have been destroyed, it just will never happen looking at how things went so far.

DigiMish

Yea, they did that to me too. They canceled it, and then I just pre-ordered it again, and it went fine. I still got the "delayed until August email" today as well.

It's been delayed multiple times before, so maybe the Amazon system automatically cancels an item after it's been delayed like 3 times.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So after playing through VC for about a week, I've found that it seems a lot harder than than VC2. I'm particularly flummoxed by the
Batomys
battle, with all my lancers seeming to be blind and missing from 10 yards with 90% of the mini-turret in the target circle. I miss how you could pretty much leapfrog your squad all over the map in VC2 without using a CP for the retreat, as long as they were standing near a flag on the command map, and instantly spawning them at the next flag, even if that was admittedly a bit cheap.

Lain

DarthWoo said:
So after playing through VC for about a week, I've found that it seems a lot harder than than VC2. I'm particularly flummoxed by the
Batomys
battle, with all my lancers seeming to be blind and missing from 10 yards with 90% of the mini-turret in the target circle. I miss how you could pretty much leapfrog your squad all over the map in VC2 without using a CP for the retreat, as long as they were standing near a flag on the command map, and instantly spawning them at the next flag, even if that was admittedly a bit cheap.
I believe that VC is only as hard as one wants it to be. By that I mean, considering you can save anytime anywhere in VC1, you could, painstakingly (because of the load times), make sure that each one of your actions goes through without failing.

DarthWoo

Lain said:
I believe that VC is only as hard as one wants it to be. By that I mean, considering you can save anytime anywhere in VC1, you could, painstakingly (because of the load times), make sure that each one of your actions goes through without failing.

Oh? Didn't realize that. I was so used to not being able to save mid-battle in VC2.

Edeuinu

I popped this in last week because I felt in an RPG mood. Still hands down my fav RPG this gen. A work of art many people will never enjoy sadly.

Supert5

Neo Member
How come its so difficult to come by this game? I went around all my eb and 1 had it but was selling for 50 dollars! For a 3 year old game dam. Looks like amazon the only way to go.

Supert5 said:
How come its so difficult to come by this game? I went around all my eb and 1 had it but was selling for 50 dollars! For a 3 year old game dam. Looks like amazon the only way to go.
Gamestop typically increases the price of certain games as they become more scarce. I remember this happening to RE2 RE3 and Ikaruga on Gamecube.

It's pretty funny because they were blowing this out at $30 new a couple of years ago in one of the Game Days sales.

DarthWoo

Does anyone else find the ace weapons kind of worthless early on? I'm also used to the ace weapons (or blueprints anyway) being better than Gallian weapons in every way in VC2. The Imperial weapons seem to have slightly better power, but at the cost of nearly half the range.

DarthWoo

The aged gentleman who teaches orders is starting to annoy me. He taught me one order, and hasn't been lucid enough to remember any new ones since. I'm already on Chapter 12, and I check back after every story and skirmish mission. Is there some secret to making him open up?

gokieks

DarthWoo said:
The aged gentleman who teaches orders is starting to annoy me. He taught me one order, and hasn't been lucid enough to remember any new ones since. I'm already on Chapter 12, and I check back after every story and skirmish mission. Is there some secret to making him open up?

IIRC, they appear when you reach a new chapter.

Your best bet is to hope they do one of those PSP enhanced remakes on PS3.

Even niche publishers like NIS are staying away from the PSP in NA.

Lain

mjemirzian said:
Even niche publishers like NIS are staying away from the PSP in NA.
Not all niche publishers are staing away from the PSP though! We've had Aksys announcing 2 games for it just 2 days ago.

But yeah, we can just forget VC3 leaving Japan.

Lain

Scouts are good, use them.
You can save anytime, everywhere, so use it to your advantage, but keep in mind that loading save files takes time so abusing the feature isn't in your best interest.

So how are the story/characters in this? I have played a few of the missions and the gameplay is not all that interesting (nothing super new or anything), and the graphics haven't aged very well, but if the story/characters are worth it, I definitely plan on continuing. So far the writing has been pretty bad, but a lot of my favorite stories in JRPGs start off really bad in end up being really good.

tiff

Banned
Units using cover won't take critical damage from headshots.

I don't know if the game ever tells you this, but it's a good thing to keep in mind.

The Mana Legend said:
So how are the story/characters in this? I have played a few of the missions and the gameplay is not all that interesting (nothing super new or anything), and the graphics haven't aged very well, but if the story/characters are worth it, I definitely plan on continuing. So far the writing has been pretty bad, but a lot of my favorite stories in JRPGs start off really bad in end up being really good.
The characters are fantastic. I liked the story well enough too, but I've seen a lot of people hate on it, so YMMV.

Top Bottom