• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

Lain

Giolon said:
Swimsuit Selvaria by Alter:
http://www.radiantcg.com/neogaf/SelvariaSwimPrototype.jpg http://www.radiantcg.com/neogaf/SelvariaSwimPrototypeConcept.jpg

Sold!

Though why she's half wearing her swimsuit, half wearing her normal uniform is beyond me.
How did I miss this post? Giolon, you better post an update when this is up for preorder for people like me that forget about checking the varioues websites!
I hope I'll have money to drop on it this time around, since I already missed on the other 2 Selvaria figures =(

tiff

Banned
Giolon said:
Mine was canceled from Amazon.com during that whole kerfluffle a few months ago. It's showing up as shipping in 2-3 weeks on the website now, and my order has an ETA of Aug 11. :-/
Same here. I'm normally pretty understanding when it comes to shipping issues and whatnot but this has been a little ridiculous.

Giolon

JoeFenix said:
I just received mine today actualy, it looks fantastic!

it's absolutely HUGE, 400 pages, can't wait to dive into it!
Lucky bum! I hope mine comes soon.

For those of you wondering what's in there, I posted some pics and my impressions of the Japanese version a while back. You can find that here.
Lain said:
How did I miss this post? Giolon, you better post an update when this is up for preorder for people like me that forget about checking the varioues websites!
I hope I'll have money to drop on it this time around, since I already missed on the other 2 Selvaria figures =(
I promise, just for you. So, keep an eye on this thread. There's also still a couple of Alter's previous Selvaria figure up on Amazon for about $155, which isn't terrible considering the original 9800yen MSRP @ today's 77:1 conversion rate ($125). Mine's on my desk at work, and I love seeing it every day! The new one, undoubtedly, will have to stay at home...perhaps in a closet lol!
(oh no, the closet of shame begins?)

Ikkarus

JoeFenix said:
I just received mine today actualy, it looks fantastic!

it's absolutely HUGE, 400 pages, can't wait to dive into it!
Can you give us a small review when you had a good look?
I grabbed the Japanese one in my haste but if the English one turns out great I'll grab that one too. :)

frequency

So I finally got the chance to take a look at my copy today. I don't have much time tonight so I just flipped through it to get a sense of what to expect. My initial impressions are that there is a lot more text in this than other art books I own. I'm excited to get a chance to read through all of this but I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed that there isn't any art that I haven't already seen. I really enjoy the art style so I had hoped to see some more of it, not just character concepts and stuff.

I'm also a little bummed that almost all the other Squad 7 members just get like half a page and just a paragraph of text. There's some weird stuff in there too... like for some reason there's a small section on underwear. Some of the artist (?) comments in the character section that I skimmed were a tad creepy too.

The later section on the tanks and weapons looks really cool. I'm not generally into that sort of thing but I'm looking forward to reading through all that.

I'm generally pretty impressed and can't wait to actually sit down and read all of it. I knew it was supposed to be 400 pages or so but for whatever reason I didn't expect it to be so massive. I am totally considering ordering the 2nd art book on Amazon.co.jp. But I assume that one is similar to this one in terms of text, and I can't read kanji very well. :( I hope this one sells well enough to convince Udon to localize that one too!

Note: So if anyone who owns the 2nd art book still looks at this thread... I have a question. Does the book have furigana? I'm definitely importing if it does.

Lain

frequency said:
Note: So if anyone who owns the 2nd art book still looks at this thread... I have a question. Does the book have furigana? I'm definitely importing if it does.
Why not just get the version Udon is going to release in January? Yes, Udon is releasing that one too.

Makoto

I'm looking at some scans of the English art book and wow, the development team really
had some horrific (as in heart wrenching) ideas for
Isara's
passing.

Amazon still hasn't shipped my art book yet.

frequency

Lain said:
Why not just get the version Udon is going to release in January? Yes, Udon is releasing that one too.
Oh awesome! I had no idea. I guess I wasn't following closely enough. Thanks!
I guess I just have to keep an eye on Amazon.ca to put it up for pre-order. It's not up there yet.

Giolon

Both the VC1 and VC2 Japanese artbooks don't have furigana b/c they're not written for children.

As others have said, just wait for the English release in "January" (and by January, they probably mean August...2012).

Snapshot King said:
Hey guys, I just grabbed this off amazon on sale, are the dlc packs good? How long are they? Appreciate any help yall could give me.

Consider the Selvaria pack mandatory (Behind her Blue Flame). The Edy Packs (especially the second one) are decent, and EX Hard mode is for masochists.

You can save all of that for post-game.

frequency

Giolon said:
Both the VC1 and VC2 Japanese artbooks don't have furigana b/c they're not written for children.
Ouch my feelings! :p

Snapshot King said:
Hey guys, I just grabbed this off amazon on sale, are the dlc packs good? How long are they? Appreciate any help yall could give me.
I only got the 'Edy Detachment' and 'Behind Her Blue Flame' DLC so I can only comment on those.

They were both pretty short. I'm not really a DLC kind of person so I don't really have anything to compare it to though. So I'm not sure if they're shorter than normal for DLC.

But ignoring length, I found 'Behind Her Blue Flame' worth it to get a closer look at the other side. Playing as Selvaria and seeing her interactions with everyone was really cool. I think the 'Edy Detachment' is just one mission where you have to hold a position for X number of turns or something. I didn't really care for that one.

I can't speak for the other DLC, but I would definitely get 'Behind Her Blue Flame' after you've beaten the main game (assuming you enjoy it enough).

Sayah

I loved this game from beginning to end. Probably my second favorite RPG this generation after Demon's Souls. Just really upset that VC2 and VC3 ended up on the PSP and I don't own a PSP. D:

Duffyside

Banned
Sayah said:
I loved this game from beginning to end. Probably my second favorite RPG this generation after Demon's Souls. Just really upset that VC2 and VC3 ended up on the PSP and I don't own a PSP. D:
Heh, I will be getting a Vita day 1 and I'm looking forward to getting VC2 more than any other Vita or PSP game.

Just to put that in perspective, the only other console I ever got day 1 was the Gamecube, which was totally on accident. "Oh, hey, I'm in KMart and the Gamecube came out today, right? I bet they don't have an-... oh, you have like 90 left? Sure, I'll take on. And Smash. And Luigi."

Giolon

frequency said:
Ouch my feelings! :p

I didn't mean it as an insult - furigana usually only appears in texts meant for younger audiences (or on rarely used or unusual words). I can't read Kanji alone myself too well so...

Sayah

duffyside said:
Heh, I will be getting a Vita day 1 and I'm looking forward to getting VC2 more than any other Vita or PSP game.

Just to put that in perspective, the only other console I ever got day 1 was the Gamecube, which was totally on accident. "Oh, hey, I'm in KMart and the Gamecube came out today, right? I bet they don't have an-... oh, you have like 90 left? Sure, I'll take on. And Smash. And Luigi."

I wish I could get a Vita day one, haha. Although, 3DS will probably come before Vita for me anyway.
And Smash Bros. is the reason I buy Nintendo consoles. Endless hours of fun.

frequency

Giolon said:
I didn't mean it as an insult - furigana usually only appears in texts meant for younger audiences (or on rarely used or unusual words). I can't read Kanji alone myself too well so...
Yeah I know. I was hoping the ':p' would imply I wasn't taking it as one. I am actually grateful for the response.

I thought that there might've been a slight chance there would be furigana since it's for a video game. I hoped that it maybe skewed a little younger to accommodate my elementary school kanji abilities. I'm not all that familiar with actual Japanese texts so it's good to know what I can/can't expect going forward. So thanks for that!

Lain

My copy shipped as well! I'll have it in my hands in a couple of days, I can't believe it!!! I wonder what to do with the Japanese version now.

gaspar

Banned
Sega "Valkyria Chronicles: Design Archive"
Previous estimated arrival date: August 12 2011 - August 16 2011
New estimated arrival date: August 10 2011

Dunan

seipherzero said:
Just got an email from Amazon saying that Valkyria Chronicles 2: World Artworks is now available for pre-order.

http://amzn.com/1926778383

I've been haunting amazon.co.jp in hopes that there might be announcement of a similar book for VC3, which would be amazing, but no luck so far.

I have the VC2 book also, and it's pretty good, but not quite the masterwork that VC1's book is. There's a lot of high-school-anime cruft like "what personal pronoun this character uses" and "what does this character call Avan".

Makoto

Nearly a year after pre-ordering it and 8 delays later, I finally have the design archive in my hands.

Edit: Reworded to express my calmness.

demosthenes said:
Hmm, the order has vanished off my credit card and it no longer exists in my open orders on Amazon.
That's lame. I believe the same happened to a number of people when the book was delayed originally.

_dementia said:
That's lame. I believe the same happened to a number of people when the book was delayed originally.

I was actually only reminded of it due to the order popping up on my CC and me not knowing what it was for. It was supposed to be a gift for a friend :lol

Got mine a couple of days ago.
I'm afraid to open it and touch it, like it's some sort of mythical creature, but the build of the book is great. reliving the story is a nice touch, although its odd that the in game character voice captions cant just be replaced with the english ones, oh well. But yeah, amazing book so far, very happy.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Any impressions regarding the developer commentary? I read a few reviews from the japanese version and it seems that the book features a lot of information...

matmanx1

Mine has shipped! Delivery estimate is for tomorrow (the 10th) so it's almost here. I really can't believe it actually got published in english and will be in my hands tomorrow.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Yay, finally my game arrived :p It was waiting on my Amazon account for me since launch day. Just never got around to it. Anyway, whats the word on the sequels?

DigiMish

Yea, glorious is the right word to describe it. This thing is full to the brim with info - so many interesting pieces of tidbits. One of the best video game art books no doubt - content wise.

I might have to pick up that artbook in time. I just started playing this game and I dig every bit of the art design.

Anyway, I've managed to make it to chapter 9 while amassing tons of D-ranks along the way. >_> Battles give me plenty of grief, but they're still fun to complete. The only thing I feel like complaining about is that the enemy's turns can't be skipped or sped up in any way.

Cheska

Oh God, just looking at some of these early designs makes me so happy with the final products we got. Alicia and Zaka early works in particular were terribad IMO.

Toma said:
Yay, finally my game arrived :p It was waiting on my Amazon account for me since launch day. Just never got around to it. Anyway, whats the word on the sequels?

I know VC2 is a bag of mixed feelings but I really enjoyed it. The story may not be as good and the characters not as memorable, but the gameplay is just as great.

MechaX

This is more a practical question on DLC.

I bought the Selvaria DLC a while back and I thought it was worth it (If only for the Azure Witch mission despite how the other three missions were pretty frustrating).

How much content do the other DLCs have? (If I'm remembering correctly, it's two Edy DLCs and EX Hard for Skirmishes?)

If you found Selvaria's missions frustrating, EX Hard is probably too difficult for you unless you don't mind save/load spamming to proc Invincible or Alicia potentials.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
As much as I loved this game, it kinda sucked how in the end the gameplay turned into pick Alicia run from point a to point b grats you won.

Some of the battles in the game were simply amazing and fun though

I'm really surprised there aren't more people complaining about the lack of a VC3 localization but instead are praising art books and figurines.

What is this bizaro GAF?

Snaku

Banned
Got the art book in today, and it really is a thing of beauty. My one complaint is that it's not hardcover, but I guess Udon doesn't do that sort of thing. Wish Dark Horse would have published it, their Avatar and Alice artbooks are amazing.

Quixzlizx

Snaku said:
Got the art book in today, and it really is a thing of beauty. My one complaint is that it's not hardcover, but I guess Udon doesn't do that sort of thing. Wish Dark Horse would have published it, their Avatar and Alice artbooks are amazing.

I'm pretty sure Udon is just the translator. If the original wasn't hardcover, the localized version won't be, either.

Top Bottom