• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Mohasus

As someone dislikes very "anime" animes (as in useless boobies, horrible humor, fan service). This has none of it. Instead it just has fantastic art, a cool story, freaking fantastic gameplay and is cheap to boot.

I can only recommend it.

Boobies are never useless. Otherwise you could say that Selvaria's are.

Anyway, just beat chapter 7, rank A.

Thanks based PC port without loading so I can keep retrying shit and exploit the game.

Falk

that puzzling face
a) How anime is it?

819496C9192A484B6A35FC95B0E7087A32FEBC14

leng jai

The audio sound effects in game are super soft which the music pretty much overbears everything. The cutscenes sound excellent, why doesn't the game sound like that all the time?

xBladeM6x

Well I think I am actually pretty close to saying fuck it.

Nothing I do does any good. Everybody gets killed and I cant actually achieve anything I try and set out to do, like taking the upper base or taking out all the turrets on one side.

And of course somebody telling me that its not *that* hard just makes me want to quit all the more because then I just feel like I'm a fucking idiot who obviously isn't smart enough to play the game in the first place.

There's 3 parts, but here you go. You're not alone, it's easily the worst mission in the game, but the game also picks up pretty significantly after that chapter. It's essentially the big "test" of being worthy. Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9wmRQk7Xac

Question: I just checked there is an achievement for starting a new game plus. So does that mean if I fully upgrade all my stuff I get to keep it for the second run? Or is just increased difficulty? Just pondering if I should go for Rank A on everything from the go or clear the game at least once at my own pace... Decisions, decisions.

Also, guess this game isn't just waifus, there is also husbandos, lol. Not seeing any girls with glasses, GAF, I'm disappointed.

Good to see this topping the charts. It's a shame this all didn't happen earlier. I mean, Platinum could actually be doing a bunch of PC games by now, right? Right? One can dream. :p Seems Metal Gear Rising and Legend of Korra alone didn't mean much for them so far? Platinum pls.

Freddo

As someone dislikes very "anime" animes (as in useless boobies, horrible humor, fan service). This has none of it. Instead it just has fantastic art, a cool story, freaking fantastic gameplay and is cheap to boot.

I can only recommend it.
Agreed :)

For the past ~15 years anime really gone down the drain with all the fan service, tsundere , moe and all that crap (with a few good exceptions); and it's nice that there's none of that in this game. It's all very mature and handled well.

Come on, it's not that hard. Just imagine playing it before you knew you could save mid-battle :p (took 3 complete tries from the start but still).

An important turn-saving hint:
You can take out each turret at that point with one shot from the Edelweiss and one from a lancer. That's the most CP-efficient way, while also saving lots of ammo compared to 3 lancer shots.

Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought
you could send people up the ladders to the Batomys vents and just drop grenades down them?

There's 3 parts, but here you go. You're not alone, it's easily the worst mission in the game, but the game also picks up pretty significantly after that chapter. It's essentially the big "test" of being worthy. Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9wmRQk7Xac

I liked that mission. Put me on edge more than any other one in the game and it was pretty tough, but when I figured out grenades work on the walls to blow off as well as rockets, it was a lot more manageable. I understand why people had difficulty with it though.

Ok, I've fucking beat that bullshit mission. And it was bullshit. I lost a lot of people doing it, though, including my best sniper, Marina.

Is that ok?

You mean the best sniper in the game? That sucks. I would have restarted if I lost her. Tbh I probably wouldn't have used her in the first place. Sniper is kind of useless for that one.

I love how 24 hours later discussion has gone from "hooray, it's out, this game is amazing!" to "FUCKING FUCK CHAPTER 7 FUCK THAT FUCKING TANK ASDFFADSFJLD;SAJL;GL;FK" I'm just about to get to that part for the first time in six years, so hopefully I'm not too rusty.

Alright gents, I'm thinking about buying this. Before that I'd like to ask some questions(normally I'd browse the thread but it's 43 pages long):

a) How anime is it?
b) Any techinical problems I should be aware of?
c) If I buy this at full price do you guys think Sega will give me 120 fps Vanquish one day?

Thanks.

A)More anime than your average Final Fantasy but less anime than your average Persona, Disgaea, or Neptunia game. I guess you could say it's roughly as anime as most 16/32-bit JRPGs?
B)No, the port's pretty solid by normal standards and fucking amazing by years-behind Japanese port standards.
C)Hopefully!

Grief.exe

When you guys describe your favorite party members, are they actually objectively better than others? Or just your particular waifu?

Seanspeed

Banned
You mean the best sniper in the game? That sucks. I would have restarted if I lost her. Tbh I probably wouldn't have used her in the first place. Sniper is kind of useless for that one.
A sniper was really useful for the very first turn where I could take out several guys on the hill from the get-go.

You're telling me I just screwed myself for the rest of the game?

A sniper was really useful for the very first turn where I could take out several guys on the hill from the get-go.

I don't think the difference between her and the other snipers is enough to make things way harder on you for the rest of the game, if that's what you're asking- especially since you've already finished what's arguably the hardest level. Certainly not enough to be worth starting over.

Not really. Sniper is arguably the most useless class as your scouts start to become better and better and eventually class up.

Although marina, when her perks kick in, during late game basically has a tiny dot as her marker and does a good amount of damage. The other snipers aren't bad though, it just sucks you lost the best one.

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't think the difference between her and the other snipers is enough to make things way harder on you for the rest of the game, if that's what you're asking- especially since you've already finished what's arguably the hardest level. Certainly not enough to be worth starting over.
There wont be any starting over. I'm either fine or I'm starting something else.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sometimes i just think there is an automatic negative reaction to anime artstyles due to unconscious westernized biases. The art style should not make anyone pass on this gem of a game alone!

I understand there is a balance between going ham with tropes, but most of the time Valkyria handles itself very well.

There wont be any starting over. I'm either fine or I'm starting something else.

Yeah, it's definitely not worth it to start over in this game. If it helps, you can save every turn so I'd recommend saving at the beginning of each new turn so if that way something really bad does happen you can just start from the beginning of that turn.

Grief.exe

Yeah, it's definitely not worth it to start over in this game. If it helps, you can save every turn so I'd recommend saving at the beginning of each new turn so if that way something really bad does happen you can just start from the beginning of that turn.

I'm going to start doing that. I waste too many turns missing shots or improper positioning.

Mission 7, Squad 7 lost

I miss Nadine already, and I've probably made Wavy sad. What a bummer.

That mission is as brutal as y'all say. My gods, I was not prepared adequately. It was essentially a succession of "___ is down... ____ is safe!" as I was
backstabbed by a SINGLE SHOCKTROOPER that managed to ninja the second base from me, recruiting a shocktrooper every round that would cause havoc before dying by the end of the turn.
And, of course, this is the one mission so far where poor Welkin sat in a corner with 5% of his health bar left. Nadine died
on her way to heal Welks as Super Saiyan 5 Seldaria arrived.
Bah.

All the soldiers in the world wouldn't have prepared me for the fun that ensued.

Almighty

You'll be fine I beat the game on the PS3 with a different sniper. In fact until I saw people gush over her in this thread i never even heard of her. Personally I think people are exaggerating a little bit as the sniper I used O'here or what ever her name was aiming reticule was also a little dot towards the end of the game and would kill most baddies in one shot.

You'll be fine I beat the game on the PS3 with a different sniper. In fact until I saw people gush over her in this thread i never even heard of her. Personally I think people are exaggerating a little bit as the sniper I used O'here or what ever her name was aiming reticule was also a little dot towards the end of the game and would kill most baddies in one shot.

Hell, if you do things even remotely right, most SCOUTS will have tiny aiming reticules by the end of the game. Obviously they don't shoot as far, but further than you'd think.

webkid94

So i finally got my R9 270, fired up GeDoSaTo, downscaled from 4K to 1360 x 768 (TV is only 720p), HOLY SHIT it is waaaay sharper and clearer versus no GeDoSaTo. Before it looked a little blurry but good god everything is so nice and crisp! Consider this my first foray into PC gaming :) Never thought my first real PC game would be a port of my all time favorite PS3 game :)

Come on, it's not that hard. Just imagine playing it before you knew you could save mid-battle :p (took 3 complete tries from the start but still).

An important turn-saving hint:
You can take out each turret at that point with one shot from the Edelweiss and one from a lancer. That's the most CP-efficient way, while also saving lots of ammo compared to 3 lancer shots.

Haha. Same. Played the original completely without knowing you can save mid-battle. How many hours that would have saved....

You're fine, ultimately, she's just somewhat better than other snipers in the extreme late game.

Though I'm half tempted to say you should walk away from the game for at least a little bit just because of how angry you are over it. I'm not sure you'll enjoy it at the moment.

Also all this
Batomys
salt. A new generation being introduced to one of the most infuriating boss fights of the entire previous generations. Brings a tear to me eye, it does.

RE_Player

Bought the game for myself and gifted a copy for a friend. Loved it on PS3 and I know I will love it here, especially reading that this isn't some sloppy port.

I'm going to start doing that. I waste too many turns missing shots or improper positioning.

Another tip I can give out for those who feel like their troops are too weak exp-wise is that you earn most exp in this game strictly based off of how fast you finish the mission, which especially holds true in the skirmishes. Scout (Alicia) running the skirmishes will gives lots of exp to use in the training camp.

For those of you early game, I recommend the first desert skirmish.

Also, I wouldn't abuse this method. Don't want to make the game laughably easy which makes it boring.

The executable has a list of textures it searches for to replace with the new button prompt textures. If you invalidate that list, it won't ever replace anything. I can try to make a tool which does this automatically.

Hmm yeah, all of the interface stuff in the texture_replace folder has dualshock icons, wish they'd let people use them.

dkoy

The executable has a list of textures it searches for to replace with the new button prompt textures. If you invalidate that list, it won't ever replace anything. I can try to make a tool which does this automatically.

would appreciate this. If you can't be stuffed making a tool just tell me explicitly how to get those PS3 icons and I'll do it myself :)

You know, I don't remember enemy Lancers being able to snipe my units without issue. I thought Lancers are supposed to have bad accuracy, but dammit Karl, you just had to get sniped. At least it happened at the beginning of Chapter 5 and while he was standing right beside Freesia. Still though, not having an Engi while my tank is mid battle with that mid tank was a bit worrying.

Worst part is, this isn't even the first time. Chapter 4 sucked since Freesia got sniped by that roof Lancer. At least all 4 tanks missed Marina (by a hair) while she was in the sniper nest. That and I totally got to snipe a sniper with my tank.

Anyone else been having weird accuracy luck?

You know, I don't remember enemy Lancers being able to snipe my units without issue. I thought Lancers are supposed to have bad accuracy, but dammit Karl, you just had to get sniped. At least it happened at the beginning of Chapter 5 and while he was standing right beside Freesia. Still though, not having an Engi while my tank is mid battle with that mid tank was a bit worrying.

Worst part is, this isn't even the first time. Chapter 4 sucked since Freesia got sniped by that roof Lancer. At least all 4 tanks missed Marina (by a hair) while she was in the sniper nest. That and I totally got to snipe a sniper with my tank.

Anyone else been having weird accuracy luck?

You'd be better off trying to find people who haven't gotten screwed over by the accuracy.

xBladeM6x

Just beat Chapter 7, and didn't really follow any guide too closely. Just huddled all my troops up behind a wall, and popped out when needed. Also, it seems the best strategy in this game to only deploy who you know you'll need. Overdeploying from the beginning seems to be things that get people killed, and failure.

Strange. Is the implication here that tanks not being able to climb surfaces is tied to frame logic? Not cool, but understandable if the developers weren't thinking of future-proofing.

I've also had lipsync issues at 120 FPS, although I'm not quite sure if it's because I wasn't able to maintain 120 FPS at all times so it gets desynced. Just dropped it to 60 to avoid more issues.

Just beat Chapter 7, and didn't really follow any guide too closely. Just huddled all my troops up behind a wall, and popped out when needed. Also, it seems the best strategy in this game to only deploy who you know you'll need. Overdeploying from the beginning seems to be things that get people killed, and failure.

It's a pretty smart idea for some areas where you just don't need many troops. People think it's a waste not to deploy them all at once since it takes a turn and one CP for a new troop to come, but since CP carries over for turns, if you're not moving many troops you'll have plenty of CP left over. I found myself late game not deploying everyone I could.

Top Bottom