• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

rickyson1

well made it through chapter 7,wasn't really anywhere near as hard as I was expecting from the talk around here

that big tank was scary looking but really wasn't very tough,I actually thought it was easier than chapter 6 right up until Selvaria showed up then it was kinda tricky not losing the units I had around and had to save and reload a few times to retreat them and get one set up for the third radiator etc,once all the radiators were gone I just used the Edelweiss over and over to take out the big tank

I just got the game and am trying to apply Gedosato to the game to make it look better.

The game launches when Gedosato is off/deactivated.

The game launches but displays nothing when Gedosato is activated/on. The executable is present in the Task Manager and just pegs one core of my i5-4690k completely and doesn't do anything else. I have to manually terminate the executable in the Task Manager to shut it down.

iSFMJOH5WAT4u.PNG

Deactivating Gedosato (which resets the rendering resolution back to the default 640x480) makes the game launch and work properly again.

I am using the latest version of Gedosato with the default out of the box settings and no further alterations. Gedosato also works perfectly with some of the other games that I use with it like Dark Souls 2 and Final Fantasy XIII. I just changed the resolution in the Launcher to 3200x1800 which is twice the resolution of my screen (1600x900).

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

I've played a bit with my Playstation button prompt mod, and I think it's working fine.

http://abload.de/img/valkyria2014-11-1304-5is8b.jpg
http://abload.de/img/valkyria2014-11-1304-l6sht.jpg
http://abload.de/img/valkyria2014-11-1304-s4s5a.jpg

If people are willing to give this a go, here's the download: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/VCPS3buttons.rar

Extract the program to where the game is installed (same directory as Valkyria.exe), and run it. It'll modify Valkyria.exe, and also create a backup of it should you wish to revert changes. If game gets a new patch, you'll need to run my tool again (and it'll most likely be compatible with future versions of the game).

There's two minor downsides to the program:
- It won't reflect button mapping changes.
- Save/load menu still shows 360 button icons.

If anyone uses the tool and runs into any problems, let me know.

And if anyone's afraid my tool will scan your harddrive and steal any Jann x Largo fan fiction, here's the source code to ease your worries: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/source/VCPS3buttons.rar (the tool is very simple, it just scans for and replaces a bunch of texture ID numbers)

Wow, thank you for this. I'll try it later at home.
I'd like to ask for your permission as well, I'm going to put your mod & tutorial on my local forum, if you don't mind. I'll be sure to credit you and link your post.

tenton

Couple of questions.

I should bother for A ranks my first time through right? I'm not sure what it measures but it seems impossible most of the time.

Don't worry about A ranks on the first time through.

Ranking is STRICTLY number of turns. And yes, it's possible to do some of these maps in 1 turn. Remember the goal in a lot of these maps is capture the flag.

As for the anime, even Alicia being cranked up to 11 on the tsundere meter wasn't the worst part of it to me. They pretty much changed Welkin; from just an odd guy that seemed to be moving to the beat of his own drum to a completely oblivious guy that shouldn't be in command of anything. Game Welkin is just odd, but he's acutely aware of the situation. He just thinks about things in a different way. I felt the anime Welkin was changed into some weird guy lost in his own thoughts for most of the show. It's been a while since I saw the anime, maybe I'll refresh my memories, but I had a bad reaction; it brought nearly nothing to the table while obliterating what I liked about the game's plot (with one exception).

Mohasus

What can I do with money in this game?

I'm buying most upgrades and donating to the reporter but I still have 300k+ left in chapter 10.

Sectus

Wow, thank you for this. I'll try it later at home.
I'd like to ask for your permission as well, I'm going to put your mod & tutorial on my local forum, if you don't mind. I'll be sure to credit you and link your post.

Sure, I don't mind. Just keep in mind this is not the final version of the mod. I'm gonna edit some textures for those people who prefer the European/US style of Playstation prompts, and there might be some unknown problems. I disable almost all UI texture replacements, and I'm not sure if I'm disabling something I shouldn't.

Tain

My game runs in slow motion unless I play it at 30fps right now. :/

idk what that's about but hopefully it gets patched soon!

Edit: lol, unless I reactivate my second monitor, then everything's good. Funny.

Tain

I'm on a gsync setup, so it's already disabled.

I wonder if some portion of the game is basing timing on the wrong monitor or something, oh well. The real problem now is my tank not being able to make it up that slope at a glorious 144hz.

Okay, so i resolved the issue that I had with Gedosato earlier on.

I had to head into the config\GeDoSaTo.ini file and change the delayDetouring setting from false to true.

Hope that helps anyone else who may have the issue with Gedosato and VC.

So one last thing from me for the evening: HardcoreGamer does a little article on the differences between the PS3 and PC versions, in ways Durante didn't cover.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/11/12/how-much-better-does-valkyria-chronicles-look-on-pc/116972/

Specifically, they pick up on some improvements made, such as improved water reflections. It appears the game does have improved effects and whatnot! So I'm not just high when I imagine the maps look better.

The real problem now is my tank not being able to make it up that slope at a glorious 144hz.

Gotta bump the framerate down to 30-60 for that mission, sadly. Hopefully Little Stone can address the tank physics issue at >60FPS soon.

Fireblend

Banned
Man, getting through only one story mission is draining, took me about an hour and a half to get past Chapter 4 without anyone dying on me.

Chapter 7 is going to murder me, it seems.

Also, what's the recommended leveling strategy? I'm kind of doing skirmishes so that my scouts, shock troopers and snipers are the same level as the mission I'm on with the others one level behind. Also, I've purchased all upgrades from R&D so far. It doesn't seem like I can spend money on anything else other than that reporter's thing, so I guess that's alright?

rickyson1

well that was a little embarrassing

just had to start the first chapter 8 mission over because I wasn't watching where I was goiing and ran into a land mine

Skilletor

Just finished chapter 2 and am officially hooked.

Is there magic in this game? I see that Sylveria person using something that looks magical.

Unity's #1 now, having displaced us. What's strange is that VC's been #1 for several hours today and yesterday, around this same time, before subsiding to a lower position. Not as glorious as Trails in the Sky occupying the top slot for two full days, but it sure ain't summer we're dealing with.

Unity's #1 now, having displaced us. What's strange is that VC's been #1 for several hours today and yesterday, around this same time, before subsiding to a lower position. Not as glorious as Trails in the Sky occupying the top slot for two full days, but it sure ain't summer we're dealing with.

Tales had the thing of not being during the Steam Summer Sale IIRC, and that the only AAA releases that would have been able to push it down on Steam's charts were console exclusives, at least one of them being a port from last-gen.

That said, surprised to see Unity still selling - I'd imagine that all the bad news around the PC port of it would make it take a bit of a hit.

I've played a bit with my Playstation button prompt mod, and I think it's working fine.

http://abload.de/img/valkyria2014-11-1304-5is8b.jpg
http://abload.de/img/valkyria2014-11-1304-l6sht.jpg
http://abload.de/img/valkyria2014-11-1304-s4s5a.jpg

If people are willing to give this a go, here's the download: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/VCPS3buttons.rar

Extract the program to where the game is installed (same directory as Valkyria.exe), and run it. It'll modify Valkyria.exe, and also create a backup of it should you wish to revert changes. If game gets a new patch, you'll need to run my tool again (and it'll most likely be compatible with future versions of the game).

There's two minor downsides to the program:
- It won't reflect button mapping changes.
- Save/load menu still shows 360 button icons.

If anyone uses the tool and runs into any problems, let me know.

And if anyone's afraid my tool will scan your harddrive and steal any Jann x Largo fan fiction, here's the source code to ease your worries: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/source/VCPS3buttons.rar (the tool is very simple, it just scans for and replaces a bunch of texture ID numbers)

Awesome, also you can dump the save screen textures with gedesato, so you can replace them too, I assume fixing the X and O issue would be as simple as swapping positions in 3358280212318419906.dds

e: looks like swapping the button locations on that dds file does not work, also the same for gedesato texture override :(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Two things.

- Keyboard and mouse control is better than gamepad, way way better.
- Look amazing downsampled (4k) with Nvidia glorious DSR.

So with better controls and super clean look It's almost like a completely different game/experience now. just amazing.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I recommend replacing/disabling the boot up movies. It makes launching into the game a lot zippier, you go straight to the title screen.

Backup Opening.SFD and SegaLogo.SFD, then replace them with empty text files that are renamed Opening.SFD and SegaLogo.SFD respectively.

Sectus

Awesome, also you can dump the save screen textures with gedesato, so you can replace them too, I assume fixing the X and O issue would be as simple as swapping positions in 3358280212318419906.dds

e: looks like swapping the button locations on that dds file does not work, also the same for gedesato texture override :(

The textures in "texture_replace" aren't used at all. You can rename the folder and the game doesn't care. I think I found where the battle controller icons are, and they're in the DLC_0002\DLC_0002_val_in_action.htx.

The save/load icons would be a bother to replace since they have no PS3 equivalent. I'd have to edit the controller icons which are stored in the game's executable. I might be lazy and just leave them be.

Anyway, I should have an updated version of the mod later.

Sure, I don't mind. Just keep in mind this is not the final version of the mod. I'm gonna edit some textures for those people who prefer the European/US style of Playstation prompts, and there might be some unknown problems. I disable almost all UI texture replacements, and I'm not sure if I'm disabling something I shouldn't.

Cool, thanks. I'll keep that in mind. :)

As long as you pick up the bodies (calls in the medic), deaths do not really matter.

What if I left the dead bodies until I completed the mission (bodies not picked up by enemies)? Will he/she permanently die?

xBladeM6x

I recommend replacing/disabling the boot up movies. It makes launching into the game a lot zippier, you go straight to the title screen.

Backup Opening.SFD and SegaLogo.SFD, then replace them with empty text files that are renamed Opening.SFD and SegaLogo.SFD respectively.

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeee.

The textures in "texture_replace" aren't used at all. You can rename the folder and the game doesn't care. I think I found where the battle controller icons are, and they're in the DLC_0002\DLC_0002_val_in_action.htx.

The save/load icons would be a bother to replace since they have no PS3 equivalent. I'd have to edit the controller icons which are stored in the game's executable. I might be lazy and just leave them be.

Anyway, I should have an updated version of the mod later.

I made some with the texture I dumped for the save screen, although the only ones I could find that were high res enough were from a scan or photo of the buttons. Also, there's another val_in_action.htx in data>resource>slg_interface

Sectus

Here's newest version of my Playstation button prompts mod: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/VCPS3buttons.rar

This version lets you swap X/O icons so they'll correspond to Western Playstation controls. They might not appear so in a few screens though (for instance, I couldn't find the texture for the personnel tab in book mode).

I made some with the texture I dumped for the save screen, although the only ones I could find that were high res enough were from a scan or photo of the buttons. Also, there's another val_in_action.htx in data>resource>slg_interface

DLC overrides val_in_action.htx, and since everyone always owns the DLC, that means val_in_action.htx is never used.

I think you found the right button textures for save screen. Some of the button icons are really low res (same resolution as on PS3), but for the save screen they decided to have super high res textures. The annoying thing is that they're in the executable which makes them more fiddly to replace, and I have no idea which generic number button prompts would correspond to X and O.

You have to pick them up before 3 full turns or an enemy gets to them. Death is permanent for non story characters.

Thanks, I'm aware of that condition. What I mean is what if I completed the mission where there is a character dying on the field? The character is just died, so it's still 1 turn. Will I lose him/her?

Dizzy-4U

Holy crap this port is good. I'm downsampling like a madman and it's not even using 50% of my GPU (GTX580).

It's so beautiful! :')

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Thanks, I'm aware of that condition. What I mean is what if I completed the mission where there is a character dying on the field? The character is just died, so it's still 1 turn. Will I lose him/her?
Winning the mission will save any charters that are 'knocked out'

Durante

Two things.

- Keyboard and mouse control is better than gamepad, way way better.
- Look amazing downsampled (4k) with Nvidia glorious DSR.

So with better controls and super clean look It's almost like a completely different game/experience now. just amazing.
Don't forget about the loading times. I think those (or rather, the lack of them) make a huge difference as well.

Knurek

Well, I'm getting 55% GPU usage in native 768p60 on my 750TI (with AF forced through NVInspector)...
Guess 4k is out of the question for me? There's a lot of shimmering going on in the talking heads scenes - the glasses on commanding officer most notably...
Those are realtime, not prerendered, right?

Anyone getting major slow down around long grass? Like the game goes in slow motion rather than just a janky frame rate.

Running on a GTX 780 here downsampling from 4k

Brilliant, thanks for this.

Durante

Well, I'm getting 55% GPU usage in native 768p60 on my 750TI (with AF forced through NVInspector)...
Guess 4k is out of the question for me? There's a lot of shimmering going on in the talking heads scenes - the glasses on commanding officer most notably...
Those are realtime, not prerendered, right?
Are you talking about these?
screenshot_2014-11-12ossy4.jpg

If so, yes, luckily they are all realtime. Even the backgrounds are pre-rendered in realtime ;)

Anyone getting major slow down around long grass? Like the game goes in slow motion rather than just a janky frame rate.

Running on a GTX 780 here downsampling from 4k
Disable the in-game V-sync in the settings, force adaptive v-sync in inspector.

Knurek

If so, yes, luckily they are all realtime. Even the backgrounds are pre-rendered in realtime ;)

Why would the devs do that?
Doesn't seem to save any space considering the assets needed to render the background are probably few times larger than a 720p PNG file...

Durante

Why would the devs do that?
Doesn't seem to save any space considering the assets needed to render the background are probably few times larger than a 720p PNG file...
I think many of the backgrounds are parts of levels, so they are already there. And sometimes they have sweeping camera shots across them before the scene starts. Also, the character models are placed in those backgrounds for rendering the heads.

A very select few of them actually are pictures, and you immediately notice if you're playing at high resolutions.

Seanspeed

Banned
You're fine, ultimately, she's just somewhat better than other snipers in the extreme late game.

Though I'm half tempted to say you should walk away from the game for at least a little bit just because of how angry you are over it. I'm not sure you'll enjoy it at the moment.

Also all this
Batomys
salt. A new generation being introduced to one of the most infuriating boss fights of the entire previous generations. Brings a tear to me eye, it does.
I'm alright. Just had to really force myself through that.

It was a bit more frustrating than it should have been, I think. If I was enjoying the game a bit less than I was, I honestly would have just dropped it and played something else.

Also,
knocking down the walls seemed like a bad strategy to me. It seemed the tank didn't open up its radiators til it knocked down a wall itself, so I often spent turns just getting fucked by the enemy while I waited for the tank to finally move on. Probably could have done it quicker if I just kept it moving as I had a team of scouts ready to climb aboard at pretty much all times

Sectus

I'm alright. Just had to really force myself through that.

It was a bit more frustrating than it should have been, I think. If I was enjoying the game a bit less than I was, I honestly would have just dropped it and played something else.

Also,
knocking down the walls seemed like a bad strategy to me. It seemed the tank didn't open up its radiators til it knocked down a wall itself, so I often spent turns just getting fucked by the enemy while I waited for the tank to finally move on. Probably could have done it quicker if I just kept it moving as I had a team of scouts ready to climb aboard at pretty much all times

Unless I really misunderstood the mission,
you have to knock down walls for the radiators to show up at all. I think there's 2 walls which are always in the way which the tank has to shoot (which results in radiators being exposed). And there's 3 walls you can bring down. If you don't bring them down, the tank will drive right past them.

Top Bottom