• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Mohasus

Thanks Sectus for the mod! I'm going to try it even though I'm using an Xbox One controller because I feel like PS icons fit the game more (especially L and R).

No, using orders and scouts normally doesn't break the game.

Breaking the game is e.g.
leveling exclusively scouts, stacking all single-target orders you have on one of them (probably Alicia) and then rushing through the maps

I feel you are way overstating how easily the game "breaks".

Oh shit, I'm breaking the game and I didn't even know it.

In my defense, the rank system encourages you to do it.

Ugh. So i started the game last night and the characters and the story in general is completely insufferable to me. Other than skipping most of the cutscenes. The combat is pretty fun.

Im kind of jonesing to get back into it after a little taste last night.

Durante

Having the same issue. So is it better to lower the hz or the fps to fix the issue?

I'm only at 60hz and Screen Refresh fps. Not even sure how many that is, but much smoother than locking it at 30.
At 60 FPS you shouldn't be having any issues :/

You can try at 30, but maybe you were trying to go up an incline which you really aren't supposed to go up with the tank.

No, using orders and scouts normally doesn't break the game.

Breaking the game is e.g.
leveling exclusively scouts, stacking all single-target orders you have on one of them (probably Alicia) and then rushing through the maps

I feel you are way overstating how easily the game "breaks".

Yeah, back when I played it on PS3 I realized that very quickly, maps that just require getting to an objective can be beaten in a flash if you do that.

Anyway, feels good to revisit this game, been a few years since I played it, still as charming as ever.

Begaria

Ugh. So i started the game last night and the characters and the story in general is completely insufferable to me. Other than skipping most of the cutscenes. The combat is pretty fun.

That's a shame. Personally, I really enjoyed the story and characters, and generally it's discussed as one of the game's main strengths considering it's roughly 50/50 story/gameplay.

Alrus

I stopped caring about ranks when I realized that most maps required you to scout rush in order to get top ranks. I just find that's not what the game is about, I enjoy making use of nearly all type of units during a fight.

It's too bad that ranks only reward speed and thus cheesing nearly all the maps instead of good strategy and (for example) keeping your guys alive or something.

Durante

The bright side is that nothing really important is tied to ranks. If you need exp/money you can just quickly rush a skirmish map.

Begaria

That's always been a sticking point with me for the Valkyria Chronicles series. I don't particularly like how your rank is tied so closely to how fast you complete a map. This problem persists throughout the entire series, and I was hoping by VC3 that Sega may have added in some different ways to achieve a better rank such as "Kill this many enemies to get a S rank!", "Take out the Ace in this map to achieve an S rank!", or "Capture this specific camp in a number of rounds (doesn't have to be the main camp to take) to get an S rank!". Anything other than "beat the map in x amount of rounds" for the entire game.

The problem here is that sometimes, without being clairvoyant, you just can't get an S rank your first time through because something with inevitably happen to fuck you over. Sometimes that is entirely the player's fault for doing something stupid, enemy camp reinforcements that just call back a good portion of the troops you just killed, limitations placed on your Tank, Enemy phase going first, or sometimes it's because you're going against overpowered enemies that will demolish your troops without you having any real chance. That last one is particularly annoying because of some of the insane things those named, story important enemies can do (revive all troops, instantly transport to different maps in VC2/VC3, one shot kill troops, super evasion, etc). Sometimes those enemies are even invincible and you just can't do anything to them.

AkuMifune

Banned
At 60 FPS you shouldn't be having any issues :/

You can try at 30, but maybe you were trying to go up an incline which you really aren't supposed to go up with the tank.

Nah, I could barely make it up the incline in like Mission 3, the first one with two groups, and that's a straight shot up a main road. So I know something's up.

I actually thought my controller was broken or maybe there was a separate gas button that wasn't mapped.

Just ended up taking out that tank with my Lancer anyway, but when I really need the tank I'll be in trouble.

Quixzlizx

Another tip I can give out for those who feel like their troops are too weak exp-wise is that you earn most exp in this game strictly based off of how fast you finish the mission, which especially holds true in the skirmishes. Scout (Alicia) running the skirmishes will gives lots of exp to use in the training camp.

For those of you early game, I recommend the first desert skirmish.

Also, I wouldn't abuse this method. Don't want to make the game laughably easy which makes it boring.

Yet you were advising people to savescum ;)

#teamnoreloads

How and when do you get to give troops different weapons?
I am only chapter 6 btw!

Durante, do you think you could add some info to the OP about the 60fps stuff? It would be good I think so people do no think the their game is broken.

Begaria

I am only chapter 6 btw!

There are a few methods of getting new weapons. The general one is researching them at your base camp which equips that model on everyone. Been awhile since I've played VC1 so I don't remember if you can research different types of guns within that same class like you can for VC2/VC3, but I'll assume that's in there. Taking out Ace's in a map will also grant you different rewards such as unique weapons which are finite but do different cool things (more attack power than standard models, might have a cool effect, etc). Some of the DLCs will also reward unique weaponry such as Behind Her Blue Flame which nets you an overpowered Shocktrooper machine gun.

ryushe

Don't know if this has been discussed, but does the game seem less... vibrant than the PS3 version? I remember the game being a lot more colorful, but then again, it's been years since I last played the PS3 version.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I am only chapter 6 btw!

Durante, do you think you could add some info to the OP about the 60fps stuff? It would be good I think so people do no think the their game is broken.

Maybe also a warning of how having the Steam overlay enabled seems to be causing crashes for some people.

Durante

There are a few methods of getting new weapons. The general one is researching them at your base camp which equips that model on everyone. Been awhile since I've played VC1 so I don't remember if you can research different types of guns within that same class like you can for VC2/VC3, but I'll assume that's in there. Taking out Ace's in a map will also grant you different rewards such as unique weapons which are finite but do different cool things (more attack power than standard models, might have a cool effect, etc). Some of the DLCs will also reward unique weaponry such as Behind Her Blue Flame which nets you an overpowered Shocktrooper machine gun.
Yeah, VC1 also has different research branches for some weapons later on in the tree.

Don't know if this has been discussed, but does the game seem less... vibrant than the PS3 version? I remember the game being a lot more colorful, but then again, it's been years since I last played the PS3 version.
Direct comparisons of framebuffer grabs show the exact same colors, so no. Did you play the game on the same display? If you are e.g. using a TN monitor compared to a decent TV that can make a pretty huge difference.

McNum

So, I noticed the Skirmishes have a second page in this version. "Edy Detachment Class Challenges"? What is this, and can it be used for fun and profit somehow? And is it balanced for endgame units since the "Edy Detachment" thing sort of reveals that this was DLC in the PS3 version.

ryushe

Direct comparisons of framebuffer grabs show the exact same colors, so no. Did you play the game on the same display? If you are e.g. using a TN monitor compared to a decent TV that can make a pretty huge difference.
I'm using a TN monitor so Yep, that must be it. I actually forgot that was a side effect until this game. Darn me needing a cheap 144hz monitor.

Durante

I added some notes to the OP about the steam overlay and high framerate issues.

So, I noticed the Skirmishes have a second page in this version. "Edy Detachment Class Challenges"? What is this, and can it be used for fun and profit somehow? And is it balanced for endgame units since the "Edy Detachment" thing sort of reveals that this was DLC in the PS3 version.
It's one of the final (or the final?) DLCs, and yes, it's balanced around the late/post-game.

Marina finally joined the new recruit list, time to see what all the waifu fuss (waifuss? I'll let myself out) is all about. Current MVPs of my squad are the Aika and Vyse one-two punch.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Snipers feel really powerful in the missions I have done so far, and Shocktroppers are really just so slow its hard for them ever be useful.

Knurek

Mission 5 is kicking my ass...
Not sure how to tackle this one - if I rush Aika/Vyse to enemy base, they get clobbered by the
boss tank
I guess I should clear the whole map of the lancers/tanks and then just use Welkin as a bodyguard for some scout rushing to the flag?

Grief.exe

Not sure how to tackle this one - if I rush Aika/Vyse to enemy base, they get clobbered by the
boss tank
I guess I should clear the whole map of the lancers/tanks and then just use Welkin as a bodyguard for some scout rushing to the flag?

This game is actually pretty difficult.

Snipers feel really powerful in the missions I have done so far, and Shocktroppers are really just so slow its hard for them ever be useful.

Snipers are great when you have enemies to hit that aren't crouching and you can easily headshot from nearby a base you occupy. Some maps are filled with these and some maps have one or two at the start and then nothing (so you start with your sniper out then have them retreat after they kill a couple of things.)

Shocks are primarily useful for cases where you can't avoid running through enemy fire, since they're basically the one class that doesn't die instantly to any reactive fire more powerful than a scout/engineer rifle. Later on they get flamethrowers, which can easily kill things crouching behind sandbags.

In general scouts are the ones who primarily carry you and the other classes alternate between "extremely important" and "worthless."

boss tank

You can take a path around to the rear of the boss tank. It's blocked, but you can destroy those barriers with grenades or rockets. Throw grenades to take out the enemies near the flag and run by the tank and end the mission.

Re: Ghirlandaio,
how does the Final Flame compare to a WWII-era fission bomb both in terms of blast power/radius and radioactive cover
? I don't know if the sequels expand much upon Valkyrian powers in the modern era.

boss tank

Yeah, you have to slowly push both teams together in tandem, rushing's just gonna get you killed unless you really know what you're doing.
The boss tank despawns at around 50% health, so it's better to just deal with it when it pops up rather than try and rush around it.

Send a scout up the south road, there's a nice vantage point overlooking the whole base that you can get a few kills from. Just make sure you don't end a turn in the line of sight of one of the enemies down there.

Knurek

You experts should give me some tips for mission 4.

I've cleared that one by the skin of the teeth, using tank's mortar and shocktrooper's granade to clear out entrenched enemies, then sniping them by scouts or snipers.
Alicia had, like 10 HP when she captured enemy flag (forgot to clear one of the shocktroopers).
Definitely doable with some planning, but certainly not easy.

Disclaimer: I suck at strategy games, FFTactics is the only one I genuinely enjoyed.

Ultimadrago

Head-on rushes as well as those flamethrowers that you get later on are really good.

Don't forget about shocktrooper stacking (allied firing) to take out pesky stuff.

Rosie's ability to head-on rush is why she's the best Shocktrooper in my eyes. The potential Strong Willed is a goddamn BEAST.

Vyse is more offensively capable, but I lead him to the side/back work for the most part (which creates magnificent results).

Falk

that puzzling face
I think the biggest 'a-ha' moment for this game for me, was realizing it played less like an SRPG and more like a board game and once you understood that some of the mechanics in VC wouldn't make sense for a regular SRPG/Tactical game and you started to capitalize/exploit them, things became a lot easier. Stuff like:

1) A single unit being able to fire as much as you had CP (as opposed to one unit being limited to his own Time Units/Action Points/etc)
2) Ragnaid, hence healing being unlimited, as long as you had CP to use it (Most tactical RPGs are limited by how much HP you have, or how much you can heal, or your healing throughput, etc.)
3) "Limited" ammo is all but limited. An engineer walking up to multiple units will fully replenish all them. Being on a flag will fully replenish them. Even otherwise, rockets, mortar and ESPECIALLY NADES will replenish one per turn.
Jann can literally pull extra ammo out of his ass randomly.
(This means explosives are -not- as limited as say XCOM. Throw as many as you want)
4) "Cover" doesn't really make sense in that as long as you're crouching, you can't be headshot. Not specific to Ch7 specifically, but this mechanic is important for Shocktroopers (or Lancers. God bless you Jann) rushing a capture point
5) Having Rosie/Alicia/Largo on the field, even if they don't do anything, gives you more CP per turn

edit: replaced RPG with rocket for clarity

Since we got some requests for Ch4 and 5, thought this would be useful again. I should probably just write a no-spoiler "General Tips" guide on Steam or something. Changing mindset and playing this as a board game rather than an SRPG really made the game click for me.

You experts should give me some tips for mission 4.

By no means an expert, but here's what worked for me:

There is a watchtower right next to the starting point. Put a sniper in there and shoot at any glowy blue ragnium barrels positioned conveniently next to enemy tanks. This will do about 2/3rds damage to the tanks, allowing your tank or lancers to finish them off in one shot. Be sure to have your sniper climb down after every shot, otherwhise the whole battalion of tanks will take shots at him (they usually miss, but the one time a tank did do a sick 420 crossmap noscope on Oscar it was an instant kill).

ShadiWulf

Nah, I could barely make it up the incline in like Mission 3, the first one with two groups, and that's a straight shot up a main road. So I know something's up.

I actually thought my controller was broken or maybe there was a separate gas button that wasn't mapped.

Just ended up taking out that tank with my Lancer anyway, but when I really need the tank I'll be in trouble.

I had trouble with that incline too. Felt like I was driving on ice for a few seconds! Did manage to make it up though. The PS3 version wasn't that way. I didn't think of it at the time, but should of tried going up with the control pad. I never needed to use the control pad for aiming in the PS3 version, but on the PC version I do cause the 360 stick is much tighter.

This is just a guess on my part, i'm not an expert, but maybe the movement controls are still the way they were on PS3 and is causing issues going up slopes with the tank. PS3 had a really loose control stick, so maybe the controls were tailored to that and for whatever reason is causing issues with tighter controls like the 360 stick or keyboard.

I can't test it cause im past chapter 3, and I'm not starting a new game, but, if someone is playing that chapter, try using the control pad to go up the slope if you are using a controller. I don't know what the equivalent controls would be if you are using the keyboard.

But, see, even the earliest war strategy video games were based off of board games, aka traditional war games. Daisenryaku, Japan's traditional model for a virtualized wargame, abstracts much of the complexity of 20th-century warfare so that games can run quicker and fit within the average memory capacity of computer games back in the mid-'80s. There's a lot hand-waived in VC regarding what should actually happen (tanks ought to crush units, not simply push 'em aside), but the game already has a framing device called On the Gallian Front, and so there's suspension of disbelief within the battles themselves.

Chariot

I just finished Fouzen.
The mission was surprisingly easy due the trainturret shotting at random places instead of where my troops where. The machinegun at the train where much more dangerous, especially with me and my "I'm sure she can make it through without dying"-tactic that didn't always hold true. Somehow I made the mission in the first go, although I was now and then in the tough spot.
But now I am scared of what comes next. Having seen the anime I think that I know what comes next in the story and I don't want it :,(

Nibiru

Banned

As someone who is pretty critical of jrpg stories I actually thought VC had a pretty good story.

Falk

that puzzling face
But, see, even the earliest war strategy video games were based off of board games, aka traditional war games. Daisenryaku, Japan's traditional model for a virtualized wargame, abstracts much of the complexity of 20th-century warfare so that games can run quicker and fit within the average memory capacity of computer games back in the mid-'80s. There's a lot hand-waived in VC regarding what should actually happen (tanks ought to crush units, not simply push 'em aside), but the game already has a framing device called On the Gallian Front, and so there's suspension of disbelief within the battles themselves.

There's still a lot different in VC compared to the averate TRPG like XCOM, FFT, Fire Emblem, Jagged Alliance and the like.

The closest related thing I can think of (within the realm of video games) is Disgaea, where you essentially have to throw everything you know about TRPGs out the window, learn its quirks and mechanics, and exploit the shit out of them. VC just happens to lean back in the other direction towards table top board games with how it handles a lot of things.

There's still a lot different in VC compared to the averate TRPG like XCOM, FFT, Fire Emblem, Jagged Alliance and the like.

The closest related thing I can think of (within the realm of video games) is Disgaea, where you essentially have to throw everything you know about TRPGs out the window, learn its quirks and mechanics, and exploit the shit out of them. VC just happens to lean back in the other direction towards table top board games with how it handles a lot of things.
They're all based on board games to some degree. X-COM's developers were at least basing the battle system and Geoscape on mechanics/systems used in previous games based on previous wargame board-games, and so forth. I wonder if the Japanese like to play computerized wargames because finding space for a board and tons of reference sheets (not to mention scheduling meet-ups) was too difficult for those interested, leading to System Soft's early success.

Sykotik

I love trying to maximize leader/ace/tank kills while still being able to get an A rank. It adds another cool layer of strategy to the game.

Are you maintaining a stable 60 fps. I wonder if it's more to do with not reaching your target FPS than what FPS you play at.

ShadiWulf

Are you maintaining a stable 60 fps. I wonder if it's more to do with not reaching your target FPS than what FPS you play at.

How do you check what framerate a game is running at? I mean i got a decent PC. Core i5 3570k, AMD 7700 GPU, 8GB RAM. Not amazing specs, but should be more then enough to run Vaklyria Chronicles at 1080p 60 FPS without drops.

Top Bottom