• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Durante

I re-played the Chapter 7 battle since I was unhappy with my previous performance. This time, I had no one go down, killed everyone
who is killable
, and it took 9 turns (so
A
ranking).

My favorite part by far was
getting ready for Selvaria and her goons by putting Marina in the base camp, and Dallas to carry her ammo. Took out everyone in the turn they appeared. Before: http://abload.de/img/screenshot_2014-11-133zpph.jpg After: http://abload.de/img/screenshot_2014-11-13llq97.jpg

Dallas' "fancies women" potential proced when refilling Marina after she took out 3 of the 6 dudes, which I thought was a particularly nice touch :p

AkuMifune

Banned
How do you check what framerate a game is running at? I mean i got a decent PC. Core i5 3570k, AMD 7700 GPU, 8GB RAM. Not amazing specs, but should be more then enough to run Vaklyria Chronicles at 1080p 60 FPS without drops.

Similar system with a GTX670. I'll just mess with the hz and fps settings a bit later to see if it helps at all.

Have both of you turned off the in-game V-sync? I find it works better when V-sync is forced via the driver (adaptive V-sync if possible).

Using the in-game v-sync. I'll try forcing adaptive through the control panel as well.

Durante

Have both of you turned off the in-game V-sync? I find it works better when V-sync is forced via the driver (adaptive V-sync if possible).

Seyavesh

holy shit jane
valk2nmu9s.gif

Knurek

Oh god, Chapter 5 battle done.
You get an unholy amount of XP/Gold for finishing the chapter, more thank all previous 4 combined I think.
Tried to go the 'legit' way for first half of the battle, Vyse/Aika/Alicia took on the northern camp (2 commanders + anti tank gun), then went to the middle camp and waited.
Then I moved Welkin to take care of the mines and sniped two lancers (took about 6 rounds) with Catherine. Of course didn't have the AP to move her back to cover after that so she got killed by the enemy tank.
Rescued her on the next round, Welkined the tank, used Vyse/Aika/Alica/Alex to take care of the enemy ace that wandered there and then used Vyse/Alicia (ace dirtnapped Aika and Alex) to clear the camp - rushed the commander with Vyse, flanked the storm with Vyse and Alicia.
And then, well, the rest of the mission was single Alicia affair - she went up the hidden path to enemy base, destroyed rocket turret, killed commander scout, scout, stormtrooper, two black stormtroopers (thank god for elevation and granades) and liberated camp.
And there was much rejoicing
I don't really think I gamed the system - the whole single raid was pretty much touch and go - the minute I'd get noticed by the boss tank I'd take a unrecoverable dirtnap.
God, so much tension, so much adrenaline...
Loving the game.

Eferim

Good news: disabling the Steam overlay (and forcing the dll out in GeDoSaTo) seems to have made the game stable for me even at 5k. At least so far. Neat.

Yep. Disabling overlay allowed me to do 5k. I was also able to do 7k but my framerate tanked. I was really hoping my 780 could handle it. :(

It was so beautiful too.

Ummmmm so I'm all of a sudden having really weird problems with the game.

1. It's now running at 30fps when I was getting locked 60fps before. I have it set with GeDoSaTo to run at 4K at 60 fps, and I have also turned off the game's v-sync and forced it with Nvidia Inspector.

2. My game now crashes every time I exit the game, so it never closes down properly.

Any help?

I think the biggest 'a-ha' moment for this game for me, was realizing it played less like an SRPG and more like a board game and once you understood that some of the mechanics in VC wouldn't make sense for a regular SRPG/Tactical game and you started to capitalize/exploit them, things became a lot easier. Stuff like:

1) A single unit being able to fire as much as you had CP (as opposed to one unit being limited to his own Time Units/Action Points/etc)
2) Ragnaid, hence healing being unlimited, as long as you had CP to use it (Most tactical RPGs are limited by how much HP you have, or how much you can heal, or your healing throughput, etc.)
3) "Limited" ammo is all but limited. An engineer walking up to multiple units will fully replenish all them. Being on a flag will fully replenish them. Even otherwise, rockets, mortar and ESPECIALLY NADES will replenish one per turn.
Jann can literally pull extra ammo out of his ass randomly.
(This means explosives are -not- as limited as say XCOM. Throw as many as you want)
4) "Cover" doesn't really make sense in that as long as you're crouching, you can't be headshot. Not specific to Ch7 specifically, but this mechanic is important for Shocktroopers (or Lancers. God bless you Jann) rushing a capture point
5) Having Rosie/Alicia/Largo on the field, even if they don't do anything, gives you more CP per turn

edit: replaced RPG with rocket for clarity

All of this. Being able to move a unit multiple times in a turn is particularly useful to exploit, especially with scouts who have a long enough range to not get completely fucked by the range penalty. There are frequent cases where moving one unit 2-4 times in a turn is more useful than moving every unit once each.

Also, keep in mind that medals you don't use in one turn will carry over to the next, up to a maximum of as many as can fit on the screen. This is important in the late game, where you start facing boss characters with crazy regeneration and high evasion that you pretty much have to take down in a single turn.

holy shit jane
valk2nmu9s.gif

Oh wow, I've only managed to do that with (legit lategame spoilers)
Alicia's Valkyria potential activated

Speaking of that spoiler, I wonder
how many people are going to fall into the trap I did in the mission where Alicia is just walking through in her Valkyria trance by going LOL EZMODE MISSION and then being caught in a shitty position when she passes out and reinforcements arrive.

KiraFA37

Well she's wielding an Imperial weapon, those things do a lot more damage then Gallia's one.

Oh wow, I've only managed to do that with (legit lategame spoilers)
Alicia's Valkyria potential activated

Speaking of that spoiler, I wonder
how many people are going to fall into the trap I did in the mission where Alicia is just walking through in her Valkyria trance by going LOL EZMODE MISSION and then being caught in a shitty position when she passes out and reinforcements arrive.

Aaand now I'm not going to do that. Shouldn't have read that.

I don't understand the requirements to get A rank or if there is a higher rank. Granted I'm playing this without any prior knowledge.

I try and keep all my teammates alive (Fire Emblem veteran) as well as going with the fewest turns. I keep getting B or C rank generally so any advice would be welcome, thanks!

tauke

Good news: disabling the Steam overlay (and forcing the dll out in GeDoSaTo) seems to have made the game stable for me even at 5k. At least so far. Neat.]

Ah that's a great finding Durante! I suffer the same problem like you where >5k is causing the game to crash but other than that, it is pretty stable.

Will give it a try this weekend.

Sykotik

I don't understand the requirements to get A rank or if there is a higher rank. Granted I'm playing this without any prior knowledge.

I try and keep all my teammates alive (Fire Emblem veteran) as well as going with the fewest turns. I keep getting B or C rank generally so any advice would be welcome, thanks!

It's based on the amount of turns you take to complete the mission.

I tend to get B or C ranks, and I'll go back and try to figure out the perfect strategy to get the most amount of leader/ace/tank kills as possible while still achieving A rank.

It can be pretty difficult, but it's very satisfying once you figure it out.

IIRC it's based only on number of turns it took to reach objective. Everything else is just bonus exp/cash.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Raw turn count, if you want an A you have to win some of the missions stupidly fast.

Pangya

Has anyone found an issue for the v-sync slow motion problems? I just hit chapter 8 and hit the point where I'll probably stop playing until someone finds a workaround for this.

Some things I've noticed:

• Playing with in-game v-sync enabled has random slow motion problems. Some maps it doesn't happen, some maps it happens a lot on and off.
  • Turning in-game v-sync off and forcing v-sync (standard or adaptive) through nvidia inspector results in non-stop slow motion.
  • Turning v-sync off works but screen tearing is pretty bad.

Levyne

Banned
Could people with vsync issues just run in borderless full window instead? I haven't played more than an hour but it worked fine for me.

v-sync always seems to have a mind of its own

Chariot

I kinda miss that you can assign your commanders from VC2. I don't want to have Rosie and Largo in every mission, but I have to deploy them to get the extra actionpoints. And I would replace Alicia with my girl Freesia, if I could.

sixghost

The game really starts to pick up around Chapter 5 it seems.

Do you guys know if characters in the same class can have different movement ranges? I heard Marina was a good sniper from someone in this thread, but it seems like she can barely cover any ground in 1 turn.

Grief.exe

Could people with vsync issues jujst run in borderless full window instead? I haven't played more than an hour but it worked fine for me.

v-sync always seems to have a mind of its own

I just forced triple buffered through Inspector.

I kinda miss that you can assign your commanders from VC2. I don't want to have Rosie and Largo in every mission, but I have to deploy them to get the extra actionpoints. And I would replace Alicia with my girl Freesia, if I could.

Good advice. I didn't deploy either in chapter 4 and it hurt my completion time as a result.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The game really starts to pick up around Chapter 5 it seems.

Do you guys know if characters in the same class can have different movement ranges? I heard Marina was a good sniper from someone in this thread, but it seems like she can barely cover any ground in 1 turn.
It looks like characteres unlock more passives as you level the class up, and I think Marina is supposed to have passives that are really good for Snipers (I know one of my Snipers has gotten the passive to dislikes heights, which isn't helpful)

Koren

IIRC, movement range is based on AP, and snipers have 250-300 AP (three times less than scouts). But I'm pretty sure that AP is the same for all characters in the same class. It could be changed by innate abilities, but I don't remember a scout having double movement or anything like this.

KiraFA37

I would use both Freesia and Alicia, which I currently am. That said after chapter 7 the game really gets going, 2 mission per chapter, can finally upgrade the weapon branches and access to these Royal weapons once I finish the next chapter.

patapuf

Good advice. I didn't deploy either in chapter 4 and it hurt my completion time as a result.

You get the actions as soon as they are in the field.

So if you forget and deploy them later you still get them, if they "die", are rescued and redeployed again you get your AP's back.

Koren

As it has been said, it's just the number of turn that matter. The requirements for A rank are (I hope there isn't a mistake there):
Prol.: 1
Ch. 1: 2
Ch. 2: 3
Ch. 3: 1
Ch. 4: 2
Ch. 5: 4
Ch. 6: 3
Ch. 7: 9
Ch. 8a: 4
Ch. 8b: 3
Ch. 9: 4
Ch. 10a: 5
Ch. 10b: 6
Ch. 11: 8
Ch. 12: 1
Ch. 13: 5
Ch. 14: 3
Ch. 15a: 6
Ch. 15b: 8
Ch. 16: 8
Ch. 17: 5
Ch. 18a: 5
Ch. 18b: 3
Nearly all missions (and all skirmishes) can be done in 1 turn with leveled-up characters. A-rank is actually easy once you know how to use the characters (you don't need levelling AT ALL, as long as you don't get to many bad ranks in the first missions)

I re-played the Chapter 7 battle since I was unhappy with my previous performance.

This might be a stupid question, but how do you replay missions? When I try to select the square with the battle map in it on the book screen, it doesn't let me replay it. It just makes a generic 'not possible' noise.

Levyne

Banned
This might be a stupid question, but how do you replay missions? When I try to select the square with the battle map in it on the book screen, it doesn't let me replay it. It just makes a generic 'not possible' noise.

I believe you have to pass a certain part in the game (if not clear the main story entirely).

Chariot

People have mentioned that Alicia becomes Scout of Mass Destruction as you level the class and uncover her potentials abilities.
Please, are you playing for stats or are you playing for girls? :p

As it has been said, it's just the number of turn that matter. The requirements for A rank are (I hope there isn't a mistake there):[/spoiler]
Nearly all missions (and all skirmishes) can be done in 1 turn with leveled-up characters. A-rank is actually easy once you know how to use the characters (you don't need levelling AT ALL, as long as you don't get to many bad ranks in the first missions)
Intriguing, I am looking forward to replay the whole game after finishing it once.

Sectus

Regarding chapter 9,
I remember when I did this on PS3 I did the whole thing blocking the APC as much as possible with my tank, but when doing the mission on PC I just realized something very obvious: if you don't block the APC at all, it'll immediately go past your camp. So I just set up a simple ambush with 2 shocktroopers, and they easily incapacitated the vehicle within 3 turns. I think this is the first (and probably only) time I've been able to do a mission even faster than A rank requirement. I probably missed an Ace in the mission due to this strategy, but oh well.

Vashzaron

Regarding chapter 9,
I remember when I did this on PS3 I did the whole thing blocking the APC as much as possible with my tank, but when doing the mission on PC I just realized something very obvious: if you don't block the APC at all, it'll immediately go past your camp. So I just set up a simple ambush with 2 shocktroopers, and they easily incapacitated the vehicle within 3 turns. I think this is the first (and probably only) time I've been able to do a mission even faster than A rank requirement. I probably missed an Ace in the mission due to this strategy, but oh well.

No ace in that Mission.

Falk

that puzzling face
Orchestral, maybe. But get back to me once you've heard his FM-synth works from King Breeder or Revolter. Those are overlooked all the time, whether or not he's improved since.

You do realize I've recorded stuff for him and he's thanked me in person for my help, right? D:
Yes, I'm familiar with his stuff along with virtually everyone in Basiscape.

Tangential, but speaking of Revolter I find it amusing that Basiscape -still- does music for vertical shooters (or, well, bullet hell as they call them nowadays) Dodonpachi's music is one of the regular go-tos for me every few months or so.

jett

D-Member
Chapter 7 was some hard-ass shit. Mostly bullshit, to be honest. :p Glad to have made some lucky decisions/preemptive measures earlier on.
Like leaving just a single shot needed for the final radiator (cuz I figured destroying a second radiator completely would initiate a change of some sort), and having Largo in an auspicious location to take it. :p Rosie though was dumb enough to be exactly where all 10 imps appeared. Whoops.
Having saved in the middle of battle saved my ass though. Dumb tank got one-hit-killed. Seriously, when is this tank not going to blow ass.

Top Bottom