• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

peakish

Yeah I don't want to come off too snide but I just beat chapter 7 without a single loss, using my strategy from above. It's a really exploitable mission. And I'm never the one coming up with that stuff this easily, heh.
Alicia took care of every person on the hill during the first turn. The rest was mostly a matter of staying in trenches and behind walls which the tank won't fire through, popping out with lancers to destroy the machine guns (still crouching to minimise damage), and using a scout to grenade the radiators. When Selvaria showed up I used the Edelweiss to destroy her companions during that first turn (mortar plus machine gun for the lancer), then hid in the small two-walled houses with a scout to rush the last radiator once it showed up -- Selvaria didn't seek out my troops, just stood by the tank on it's left side (whose radiator I had destroyed already).

If the enemy had been active with clearing out my units hiding around the map it would have been difficult, but they never even thought to check. Kind of disappointed tbh.

All this said, the story of this chapter was really interesting. I usually roll my eyes at the ancient civilisation trope, but I'm very curious to find out why these ancient saviours are fighting for the enemy -- with the nice twist of the ancient evil who they fought being the friendly one. Good cut scene, too!

sfried

Here's newest version of my Playstation button prompts mod: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/VCPS3buttons.rar

This version lets you swap X/O icons so they'll correspond to Western Playstation controls. They might not appear so in a few screens though (for instance, I couldn't find the texture for the personnel tab in book mode).

DLC overrides val_in_action.htx, and since everyone always owns the DLC, that means val_in_action.htx is never used.
Is there a way we can have Wii U Pro Controller button layouts too? (I have a Mayflash Wii U Pro Controller to PC adapter)

Haunted

Is this version eligible for GAF GOTY?

Valkyria Chronicles is a contender in any year, but especially a weak one like 2014, imo.

Sectus

Is there a way we can have Wii U Pro Controller button layouts too? (I have a Mayflash Wii U Pro Controller to PC adapter)

Well, I don't think I'll do that myself. I'm primarily doing this mod because it's fairly easy, since all the PS3 button icons are already among game files. Someone could make a mod for Wii U button icons, but there's a bunch of textures to edit.

BBboy20

Here's newest version of my Playstation button prompts mod: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/VCPS3buttons.rar

This version lets you swap X/O icons so they'll correspond to Western Playstation controls. They might not appear so in a few screens though (for instance, I couldn't find the texture for the personnel tab in book mode).

DLC overrides val_in_action.htx, and since everyone always owns the DLC, that means val_in_action.htx is never used.

I think you found the right button textures for save screen. Some of the button icons are really low res (same resolution as on PS3), but for the save screen they decided to have super high res textures. The annoying thing is that they're in the executable which makes them more fiddly to replace, and I have no idea which generic number button prompts would correspond to X and O.
I'm surprised they didn't also have PS buttons at the ready considering it's legacy on the PS3.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Really like using the PS3 buttons here mostly because they're stylized unlike the PC/360 prompts. I was going to mod it make the PC/360 prompts more like it when texture stuff worked with it .

Sectus

I'm surprised they didn't also have PS buttons at the ready considering it's legacy on the PS3.

Yeah, I wish it was more common for developers to add Playstation button icons as an option, especially if that game had a Playstation version. Ubi Soft is the only publisher I know which does this with quite a few of their games.

Alrus

Damn Chapter 7, you took me almost 2 hours but I finally managed to beat you with no permanent unit deaths (and an A ranking to boot). Thank god for in battle saves. Almost thought I fucked it up in the last stretch due to picking the wrong radiator to destroy last but in the end it all went right.

Still, it's kind of a bullshit chapter if you don't know what's coming.

Haunted

Weak? 2014? Man, don't you play crpgs?
You're crazy.
What? No Bayonetta 2 or Shovel Knight?
I have like... 6 or 7 games locked down for my top 10 list. A handful others in contention.

Usually at this time of the year I already have 10+ games I loved and have to painfully whittle it down from there. This year... not so much. But that's a discussion for the GOTY thread.

Also, none of you answered whether it's going to be eligible or not. :p

Knurek

Weak? 2014? Man, don't you play crpgs?

Maybe he means compared to 2015, where all of Atlus RPGs hit Steam, Square Enix starts porting Dragon Quest games to PCs, Koei Tecmo starts porting GUST games to PCs and Witcher 3/Pillars of Eternity/Might & Magic XI/and maybe Torment get released?

baterism

Maybe he means compared to 2015, where all of Atlus RPGs hit Steam, Square Enix starts porting Dragon Quest games to PCs, Koei Tecmo starts porting GUST games to PCs and Witcher 3/Pillars of Eternity/Might & Magic XI/and maybe Torment get released?

MGS5.

*prancing*

Damn Chapter 7, you took me almost 2 hours but I finally managed to beat you with no permanent unit deaths (and an A ranking to boot). Thank god for in battle saves. Almost thought I fucked it up in the last stretch due to picking the wrong radiator to destroy last but in the end it all went right.

Still, it's kind of a bullshit chapter if you don't know what's coming.

I just did that mission and had the same problem with leaving the wrong radiator for last. I barely managed to get that A rank.

I have like... 6 or 7 games locked down for my top 10 list. A handful others in contention.

Usually at this time of the year I already have 10+ games I loved and have to painfully whittle it down from there. This year... not so much. But that's a discussion for the GOTY thread.

Also, none of you answered whether it's going to be eligible or not. :p

When are late ports ever eligible? RE4 came out on Steam this year, is that GOTY?

TaroYamada

I think I was often bored with 2014 but I also didn't pay a ton of attention... Dota 2 ate way too much time unfortunately and I was otherwise busy.

Haunted

When are late ports ever eligible? RE4 came out on Steam this year, is that GOTY?
Well RE4 runs into another ineligibility rule, different sales platforms don't count as different releases and RE4 did come out on PC before. Though I do think that under the current rules (looking at the 2013 thread for reference), Valkyria PC wouldn't be eligible as it's not a significant enough upgrade to consider it a remaster instead of a late port.

And thus I am forced to ignore a great game and consider "good but not great" games to fill out my top 10 GOTY list instead. :boo

Aside from padding a weak 2014 list, I mainly just wanted to make up for my previous failing as I was without a PS3 in 2008 and thus, unable to play and vote for it during that GAF GOTY. ;_;7

Durante

Well, it's eligible for the SteamGAF GotY at least :p

Anyway, how is there an issue getting a top 10 this year? For me, it's the best in a long time (last year I had like 3 games which stood out to me and wasn't even motivated to post in the GotY thread). 2014 though, wow. Might and Magic X, Divinity: Original Sin, Blackguards, Age of Wonders 3, Dark Souls II, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun Returns (Dragonfall), Stick of Truth, Crimzon Clover, those are just the shoe-ins so far off the top of my head. And I haven't even played Grimrock II or Civ:BE yet!

Tetranet

For anyone playing this amazing game for the first time, I suggest not trying to rig the mechanics and the AI. Play without trying to look for gimmicks. That's at least how I played and enjoyed it. I'm saying this because there's a lot of tricks on the net, and even in this thread.

Durante

For anyone playing this amazing game for the first time, I suggest not trying to rig the mechanics and the AI. Play without trying to look for gimmicks. That's at least how I played and enjoyed it. I'm saying this because there's a lot of tricks on the net, and even in this thread.
This is good advice.

It's fun to screw around with the mechanics on the challenge maps, hard EX skirmishes etc. post-game, but for your first playthrough you should really try to play "normally" and discover tactics and what works and what doesn't for yourself.

What is a gimmick? Using orders? Scouts? The things that break this game are its central mechanics.

Durante

What is a gimmick? Using orders? Scouts? The things that break this game are its central mechanics.
No, using orders and scouts normally doesn't break the game.

Breaking the game is e.g.
leveling exclusively scouts, stacking all single-target orders you have on one of them (probably Alicia) and then rushing through the maps

I feel you are way overstating how easily the game "breaks".

OK, I am not sure if this is a bug at all but

capter 5, Klodenwood mission:
The last incline going up to the base camp at the end of the mission (when the other general's tank arrives). For some reason in my game, Edelweiß cannot go up this tiny fraking incline. Is this some sort of FPS related physic bug? It seems odd that the tank cannot move up 10 degree inclines. I would imagine it should, so that Edelweiß can face off against the enemy general's tank.

I played through VC without any outside assistance myself (in 2008) and sat with two very experienced strategy gamers as they did it, offering assistance only when I felt it wise/necessary. We all quickly recognised Scouts were a powerful class, but none of us found it particularly easy, and only Ch. 14 did any of us consider cheap (
waves of spammed reinforcements, ugh
). I think it's fair to say VC is significantly tougher than the average AAA release, if on the easy side compared to established strategy games. I know a minority of players gave up, usually between Ch.5 and 7, as I heavily lurked VC forums back when the game released and difficulty was a common complaint/problem.

Knurek

I know a minority of players gave up, usually between Ch.5 and 7, as I heavily lurked VC forums back when the game released and difficulty was a common complaint/problem.

Isn't the situation the same here as was with FFTactics?
You can not grind and have a difficult game, requiring thought and planning. Or you could grind, even for a few maps, and break the game before midway point.

The last incline going up to the base camp at the end of the mission (when the other general's tank arrives). For some reason in my game, Edelweiß cannot go up this tiny fraking incline. Is this some sort of FPS related physic bug? It seems odd that the tank cannot move up 10 degree inclines. I would imagine it should, so that Edelweiß can face off against the enemy general's tank.

Yeah, looking at other posts in the thread it seems to be a bug that happens at >60FPS.

Durante

I think you should be able to go up there. Are you playing at 120 FPS?

Anyway, you can
take out the enemy tank FAR more easily by moving a lancer up the southern trail, together with a scout. you easily get behind the tank and can take it out in a single shot with the lancer.

Yeah, looking at other posts in the thread it seems to be a bug that happens at >60FPS.

I think you should be able to go up there. Are you playing at 120 FPS?

Anyway, you can
take out the enemy tank FAR more easily by moving a lancer up the southern trail, together with a scout. you easily get behind the tank and can take it out in a single shot with the lancer.

Yeah I am playing @ 120... perhaps I should make a post on the steam Forums about this to see if they can fix it. It would be nice. I am curious if it is related to the games internal framelock? AKA, can you run 60fps @ 120hz? I will fiddle around...

EDIT: Yep, just tested it. @ 60fps lock but 120hz, Edelweiß traverses perfectly up inclines. (through the lock the game provides in the config editor). Damn!

I will make a post on the steam forums then.

Durante

I find it interesting that so many games have minor physics differences with slopes at higher framerates (the same was true with Dark Souls). I'd love to know why this is happening exactly. I guess until they fix it it's better to play at 60 Hz with higher IQ.

You could try mapping a 60 Hz render resolution to a 120 Hz present with GeDoSaTo.

I played through VC without any outside assistance myself (in 2008) and sat with two very experienced strategy gamers as they did it, offering assistance only when I felt it wise/necessary. We all quickly recognised Scouts were a powerful class, but none of us found it particularly easy, and only Ch. 14 did any of us consider cheap (
waves of spammed reinforcements, ugh
). I think it's fair to say VC is significantly tougher than the average AAA release, if on the easy side compared to established strategy games. I know a minority of players gave up, usually between Ch.5 and 7, as I heavily lurked VC forums back when the game released and difficulty was a common complaint/problem.
Yeah, I remember the same from the VC thread here.

Honestly, also from my own experience replaying it now, it's not really a very easy game even if you know the mechanics and what's coming.

I find it interesting that so many games have minor physics differences with slopes at higher framerates (the same was true with Dark Souls). I'd love to know why this is happening exactly. I guess until they fix it it's better to play at 60 Hz with higher IQ.

You could try mapping a 60 Hz render resolution to a 120 Hz present with GeDoSaTo.
Yeah, I will just concede to 60fps for now. Sad face. I currently have the game @120 hz 3200X1800 but with 6ßfps lock in the config instead of "match refresh rate." Do you think the game be "smoother" doing it your suggested way? One would think they would be functionally the same. Maybe not!

Also, here is my thread on the Steam Forums if anyone else wants to chime in to get it more popular / bring it to the front page.

any clue why GeDoSaTo would be taking screenshots at 1920x1080?

Im also not getting the startup message for gedo like I do on FFXIII so im not sure if its actually rendering at a higher resolution

The weirdest thing is though, sometimes I take screenshots and they are 1920x1800 with the extra at the bottom just black.
i still cant figure out whats up with this....any thoughts?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Played chapter 3 and 4 yesterday. 3 was fun, it's easy but I could feel things ramping up already and man, are the kills in this game satisfying.

4 gave me some trouble, but only insofar as it not being a case of simply advancing and shooting. I had to scout the terrain, enemy positions and plan ahead. Trying different approaches was very fun. I haven't used the in-mission saving too much yet, but I'm glad the option exists because it encourages experimentation.

I didn't bring any Lancers which proved to be a mistake, but I decided to try it like that anyway just for fun. I ended up clearing the first section with
Marina sniping at the watch tower near the base camp, then Alicia clearing out the rest of the way while the Edelweiss provided support.
Having Alicia basically rambo-ing through the second section of the area reminded me of how good strategy games are about having memorable moments, and how easy it is to get attached to characters just on the basis of what you have them do in the actual playable missions.

Durante

Played chapter 3 and 4 yesterday. 3 was fun, it's easy but I could feel things ramping up already and man, are the kills in this game satisfying.

4 gave me some trouble, but only insofar as it not being a case of simply advancing and shooting. I had to scout the terrain, enemy positions and plan ahead. Trying different approaches was very fun. I haven't used the in-mission saving too much yet, but I'm glad the option exists because it encourages experimentation.

I didn't bring any Lancers which proved to be a mistake, but I decided to try it like that anyway just for fun. I ended up clearing the first section with
Marina sniping at the watch tower near the base camp, then Alicia clearing out the rest of the way while the Edelweiss provided support.
Having Alicia basically rambo-ing through the second section of the area reminded me of how good strategy games are about having memorable moments, and how easy it is to get attached to characters just on the basis of what you have them do in the actual playable missions.
If you think chapter 3 and 4 are ramping up, just wait for the really big engagements ;)

I love seeing people enjoy the game for the first time.

Woo-Fu

Banned
360 controllers are the PC standard, only the PS4 controller has started to change that a little.

Back when GFW was a thing if you wanted the label and had controller support in your game you had to have support for one of the 360 controllers. If it is a standard it is a de facto standard, brought about in large part by anti-competitive business practices. :)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
If you think chapter 3 and 4 are ramping up, just wait for the really big engagements ;)

I love seeing people enjoy the game for the first time.
lol, I'm already dreading the infamous chapter 7. I haven't highlighted any of the tagged strategies and discussions though, I want to go in blind. Definitely having a blast discovering this game for the first time, just wish I had more time to put into it this week. I'm glad the weekend is near.

By the way, I appreciate that the experienced players are being good about using the spoiler tag in this thread. I'll surely go back and read some pages after I'm past certain points too.

Bombless

When I played the game on PS3 I had missed quite a few things, like the watchtowers. Man, putting a sniper up there is pure carnage.

Durante

When I played the game on PS3 I had missed quite a few things, like the watchtowers. Man, putting a sniper up there is pure carnage.
Yeah, I've noticed something similar. I'm not sure I ever
blew up the destructible obstacles on some of the alternative paths
when I was playing on PS3. Makes some chapters much easier.

Up to chapter 5 atm.

So from what I understand you have to achieve certain conditions to get character specific potentials. When does the game list them or is it all guessworking?

Top Bottom