• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

raven777

well, my save was deleted for some reason so I started over. I was only up to chapter 5 anyway so it didn't take long.

And with the new start, I got Edy, Marina, Freesia, Aika all at once!

Any good members(waifu) I missed out? I got Lynn also. I don't really know any good female Lancers and Engineers.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I made it fine. Sure, I got a D in this mission, mostly because I actually managed to pull it of in one run, which gave me a lot of surprises
I lost a soldier when I tried to take the northwest camp and didn't know that thing actually had a machinegun. But other than that I just looked where the train was located at the moment and used walls and stones to cover my troops while they advanced through the last camp. When in doubt use an order like Defense or Caution.

Does Defense actually work against that 60FPS bug to where it doesn't matter? I've only used them in Skirmishes TBH and that's only to 1-turn Rush them to S-ranks.

Ultimadrago

well, my save was deleted for some reason so I started over. I was only up to chapter 5 anyway so it didn't take long.

Any good members(waifu) I missed out? I got Lynn also. I don't really know any good female Lancers and Engineers.

Nadine is the Engineer.

For Lancers, I only stick with Largo and Jann to be honest.

Chariot

Does Defense actually work against that 60FPS bug to where it doesn't matter? I've only used them in Skirmishes TBH and that's only to 1-turn Rush them to S-ranks.
"Where it doesn't matter". Of course it still matters, it's defense and not immortality. However the reduced damage can save lives. Just keep the exposure to the interceptionfire as brief as possible. Use the Edelweiss and the area. Especially in the chapter 10b there are tons of walls, elevators and rocks that can protect your precious soldiers.

--

Can somebody help me? I continued the save and everything is fine except for Catherine who is missing. I am pretty sure nobody died in my first playthrough.

Claudia

Falk

that puzzling face
Anecdotally, I went through the PS3 version without orders (because I'm dumb) and having Defense Up and Evade Up makes the same rush routes from the PS3 version still viable.

My caveat was those extra CP made some of those same strats a lot less viable in certain situations when the move count was quite exacting.

TheSeks

"Where it doesn't matter". Of course it still matters,

Outside of the
Train
and Shocktroopers, I haven't ran across any ZOMG DEADLY interception fire to make orders matter. Hell, my scouts can see someone coming from a mile away and don't even bother to attempt to intercept fire on them at times. It's bizarre, but why I don't use the Orders. No need to cast them if they don't really change the game outside of a 60FPS bug making them kinda needed in a few situations. *shrug*

Dallas and Nadine are good choices for Engineers and maybe Yoko or Elysse for Lancers (but really Largo and Jann are the best).

spiritfox

Dallas and Nadine are good choices for Engineers and maybe Yoko or Elysse for Lancers (but really Largo and Jann are the best).

Dallas is a must in a waifu team. She'll be in her secret garden all day.

How do you get Lynn?
I tried downing Karl but she hasn't appeared.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Outside of the
Train
and Shocktroopers, I haven't ran across any ZOMG DEADLY interception fire to make orders matter. Hell, my scouts can see someone coming from a mile away and don't even bother to attempt to intercept fire on them at times. It's bizarre, but why I don't use the Orders. No need to cast them if they don't really change the game outside of a 60FPS bug making them kinda needed in a few situations. *shrug*

Uh....

Sans Alicia-spamming, Orders are either necessary, or at least damn helpful, in getting through chokepoints and the like to get A-ranks.

Also, Audrey is the best Lancer, but you need 10 medals to get her, which will require either finishing the game, or lots of grinding.

TheSeks

Did you really just say that orders don't change the game? Now I've heard everything.

They break the game, yes. But in story missions? Not really needed. Alicia and a few other Scouts will mop the map up quickly outside:

-Elite Shocktroopers (with Flamethrowers)
-60FPS bug fuckery.

Never had a problem with the main story in regards to never using orders on PS3. On PC I'm running into issues where the game slowdowns randomly (even with forcing the drivers on Nvidia) and faster firing/more firing "bug" due to 60FPS.

Again though: Most interception fire (maybe because the port broke them? IDK) hasn't been deadly outside of 1) Elites/Aces and 2) random buggery.

Chariot

Outside of the
Train
Orders are all kinds of useful. Sometimes you need that extra firepower, a quick hp boost, etc.

Dallas is a must in a waifu team. She'll be in her secret garden all day.

How do you get Lynn?
I tried downing Karl but she hasn't appeared.
He need to have used his final potential before getting downed.

raven777

Durante

But in story missions? Not really needed.
"Not really needed" and "don't change the game" are two fundamentally different things. Over 80% of the features in most SRPGs I can think of are not really needed to complete the base game.

-60FPS bug fuckery.
I prefer calling it balance.

On PC I'm running into issues where the game slowdowns randomly (even with forcing the drivers on Nvidia)
That's strange, I haven't had a single framedrop with in-game V-sync disabled in >15 hours of playing the game.

TheSeks

I prefer calling it balance.

I wouldn't say it's "balance" if it goes against the design the developers intended. Like the Dark Souls 2 weapon wear bug on 60FPS. I think if they keep the "bug" the balance should be more firing->less damage per bullet and a slightly longer "reload" on interception for the sake of balancing the numerous bullets coming at you. But that's just me.

The bug even bothers trying to stop a Shocktrooper/Unit in firing mode where the game continues to have the interception fire person firing for a good 5 seconds after thereby you're continuing to eat damage despite the fact that interception should stopped after you were already in cross-hair mode.

That's strange, I haven't had a single framedrop with in-game V-sync disabled in >15 hours of playing the game.

The DLC Scout Skirmish is a notable example. Start the mission with Alicia in the sole starting position. Mission starts there's a 15-25FPS lag until the mission fully loads or something and then it's fine for the rest of the mission.

Durante

I wouldn't say it's "balance" if it goes against the design the developers intended.
So if a developer releases a rebalancing patch which changes the game from the original design (like, pretty much any rebalancing patch in any strategy game) it's not "balance"?

I'm sorry, but I fundamentally disagree. Balance can be evaluated completely independently of any supposed or confirmed "intention", and I haven't heard any argument yet that the increase in interception fire doesn't improve the game's balance.

TheSeks

So if a developer releases a rebalancing patch which changes the game from the original design (like, pretty much any rebalancing patch in any strategy game) it's not "balance"?

I'm sorry, but I fundamentally disagree. Balance can be evaluated completely independently of any supposed or confirmed "intention", and I haven't heard any argument yet that the increase in interception fire doesn't improve the game's balance.

It's not balance when it's due to a bug in game timing. I seriously doubt the porters decided to have the interception fire break aiming mode (thereby having your unit die even in firing mode) and moving around when the PS3 port had the ability to get units into areas and stop interception as soon as you started to aim for the sake of "rebalance."

Just like I doubt From intended equipment wear to double on 60FPS.

If they rebalanced it to where the interception fire had a longer reload and slightly less damage for the sake of more bullets to where it was deadly but didn't break the intention of the game (moving through fire but also not dying in the process if you're aiming while under fire/etc)? I'd probably be more accepting of the "higher difficulty." But when units can be nailed in seconds flat when you're moving through an area that should be able to get across a roadway only for the bug to kick in and nail them in milliseconds? I don't really accept that as "higher difficulty."

Durante

It's not balance when it's due to a bug in game timing.
I'm not claiming that it's intentional. Obviously it isn't.

What I don't understand is why you would argue that an unintentional change can't improve balance.

I mean, having played the game a lot on PS3 and also a lot on PC at 60 FPS, I see only positive effects on balance from the interception difference:
  • Scouts can't just run up to an entrenched position / shocktroopers and take them out, you have to do at least a bit more than that.
  • Same goes for enemy tanks. Killing them by just running behind them with some infantry is no longer so straightforward.
  • The 2 CP you spend on using your own tanks don't feel so wasteful anymore, as their use is increased twofold: they are immune to and block interception fire (which is now relevant), and they provide really strong interception fire against enemies.
  • Shocktroopers actually have a lot more reason to exist again, considering how resistant they are against interception fire compared to other classes.
  • As taking stuff out from a distance becomes more desirable, the same goes for snipers.
Each of these was considered an issue by most people, including me, on PS3. And while the increase in the relevance of interception doesn't completely prevent the tactics in the first two points, it makes them a lot less viable.

So basically what the change does is (i) make strategies which were considered "cheesy" by most somewhat harder/more expensive to execute, (ii) increase the utility of units which went underused at high levels of play and (iii) make positioning more important, which is always a good thing in strategy games. All that, while having no real negative effect on strategic depth that anyone has pointed out to me so far or which I have noticed.

TheSeks

My major issue is with you're #3. Positioning on the maps is a bit of a bitch if you're using a scout and suddenly the bug kicks in and BAM NAILED by a mysterious popping in enemy/Shocktrooper. Whereas on PS3 you could at least go "oh, damn. One there" and at least get back into cover before they nailed you with 50 more bullets than should be possible.

I wouldn't mind if they rebalanced they timing/turns required for S-ranks (in fact I'd be all for it since the S-rank requirements are all sorts of stupid. In fact just remove the ranking system, it's entirely pointless). I wouldn't mind an increase in interception fire provided you 1) could still react quickly enough to back away without being killed in seconds [which is the issue here] and 2) interception didn't continue after you press R1/RB/whatever on keyboard to enter aiming mode to where you're 100 HP unit is nailed while they should be protected since he's in "aim mode" (like PS3) interception fire that continued to fire due to the bug in 60FPS.

If it was properly rebalanced? I wouldn't have an issue. But I have an issue in regards to how the damage is done (too quickly and too fast for proper reactions, especially if units are hiding) and doing rankings unless you Order spam Scouts to get around faster damage which isn't really fixing the issue, just showing the issue is there because Shocktroopers/Snipers can't get into positions quickly enough to support Scouts.

Falk

that puzzling face

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125257-Witcher-3-Dev-Creates-Semi-Official-Witcher-2-Mod

Best example, and not even a strategy game. Although I still say that if they're gonna change some game mechanics, the best course of action honestly would be to go the full 9 yards and give the entire game a slight overhaul.

The main problem with -that-, though, is that the entity that handled the port and the entity that handled the original game are two very different things, and it depends how much the former wants to respect the latter's vision/decision/etc (something which some Japanese devs are pretty damn touchy about and we're talking about SEGA here *cough*sonic*cough*) and ultimately how much leeway SEGA themselves give.

patapuf

It's not balance when it's due to a bug in game timing. I seriously doubt the porters decided to have the interception fire break aiming mode (thereby having your unit die even in firing mode) and moving around when the PS3 port had the ability to get units into areas and stop interception as soon as you started to aim for the sake of "rebalance."

Just like I doubt From intended equipment wear to double on 60FPS.

If they rebalanced it to where the interception fire had a longer reload and slightly less damage for the sake of more bullets to where it was deadly but didn't break the intention of the game (moving through fire but also not dying in the process if you're aiming while under fire/etc)? I'd probably be more accepting of the "higher difficulty." But when units can be nailed in seconds flat when you're moving through an area that should be able to get across a roadway only for the bug to kick in and nail them in milliseconds? I don't really accept that as "higher difficulty."

Unless you try to scout rush the higher interception fire isn't a big deal. And if you do it's perfectly fine to require that you use orders to protect the scout.

The Edelweiss and shamrock are still great cover against it, shocktroopers and lancers don't have any issues with it. There's also smokes, long range grenades to get enemies out of cover (and then finishing them off with snipers) ect. Orders further help and don't forget to redeploy new units when you capture new command posts.

You shouldn't be able run up to a unit that can see and shoot at you, especially not at low HP. Smart positioning being required in a strategy/tactics game is a good thing.

It's also still easily possible to A rank missions and scouts are still by far the best class in the game.

The higher rate of interception fire forces you to use more of the tools at your disposal. That's a good thing imo.

Miker

So how does line of sight work in this game? I don't think it was ever clearly explained. What are the colors for line of sight? There seems to be at least yellow, blue, and red lines, and I don't really know how to interpret them (besides red = shooting at you).

And is there an actual "vision cone" for enemy soldiers in which they won't interception fire? Can I sneak up behind enemies?

Also, what's the deal with interception fire on tanks and snipers? It seems that if I end the turn with the MG equipped on the Edelweiss, it can interception fire, but it won't with the cannon. Is that because the cannon, along with the sniper, aren't "reloaded" until the next turn?

Violet_0

Banned
My major issue is with you're #3. Positioning on the maps is a bit of a bitch if you're using a scout and suddenly the bug kicks in and BAM NAILED by a mysterious popping in enemy/Shocktrooper

I think that's kind of the point of ambushing

I do however hate enemies appearing out of thin air. I dislike the first dlc mission because of this and some other issues

patapuf

So how does line of sight work in this game? I don't think it was ever clearly explained. What are the colors for line of sight? There seems to be at least yellow, blue, and red lines, and I don't really know how to interpret them (besides red = shooting at you).

And is there an actual "vision cone" for enemy soldiers in which they won't interception fire? Can I sneak up behind enemies?

Also, what's the deal with interception fire on tanks and snipers? It seems that if I end the turn with the MG equipped on the Edelweiss, it can interception fire, but it won't with the cannon. Is that because the cannon, along with the sniper, aren't "reloaded" until the next turn?

There is a vision cone and you can sneak up on enemies.

Snipers and lancers won't intereception fire. Tanks only do it with their MG (regardless of what else you have equipped.). That's true for both, your own and enemy troops.

Range is also important for interception fire. Tanks and schocktroopers have short range, scouts and engineers have long range.

Miker

There is a vision cone and you can sneak up on enemies.

Snipers and lancers won't intereception fire. Tanks only do it with their MG (regardless of what else you have equipped.). That's true for both, your own and enemy troops.

Range is also important for interception fire. Tanks and schocktroopers have short range, scouts and engineers have long range.

Ah, got it. I thought tanks having interception fire would be dependent on what weapon you end the turn with, kinda like in Fire Emblem.

The lean keys exist for a reason.

I completely forgot the lean keys exist. What are they meant to be used for?

And some googling shows that this is what the sight line colors mean:

Blue : Enemy sighted but still unnoticed by the enemy.
Yellow : Identified by enemy but out of range for interception.
Red : Identified by enemy and target is within range.
Green : Same as red but the enemy is reloading weapon.

Yeah, they're F1 and F2 by default. Personally I have them set to Z and C since Q and E are linked to menu switches though, and of course their defaults are a bit out of the way.

That, and they also quickly switch between Book Mode's tabs without you having to bring up the system menu first.

Oh and you can also shoulder-swap in aim-mode with them as well.

=I completely forgot the lean keys exist. What are they meant to be used for?

And some googling shows that this is what the sight line colors mean:

Blue : Enemy sighted but still unnoticed by the enemy.
Yellow : Identified by enemy but out of range for interception.
Red : Identified by enemy and target is within range.
Green : Same as red but the enemy is reloading weapon.

Suddenly, war has changed.

What keys are for lean? There's been a few spots where it could be useful, depending on how it works...

Eferim

I had to open the game to make sure people weren't bsing about lean. Holy balls, my mind is blown.

Also, that was the first time I played the game on PC without downsampling. All I can say is: EWWWWWWWW

Peff

I like how if you search "valkyria chronicles lean keys" this thread and this page is the first result.

I didn't know about it either, WTF

So I'm playing this game in windowed mode while doing other stuff, and was wondering if there's a way to not lock the mouse to the window?

arit

Someone needs to go back and check that the PS3 version has leaning, based on how many minds just got blown re: lean keys on PC.

At least the manula says it does, also L3 seems to fast switch to the healing item.

Btw. is there a way to delete individual saves?

I wouldn't say it's "balance" if it goes against the design the developers intended. Like the Dark Souls 2 weapon wear bug on 60FPS. I think if they keep the "bug" the balance should be more firing->less damage per bullet and a slightly longer "reload" on interception for the sake of balancing the numerous bullets coming at you. But that's just me.

I really really doubt that when From Software was creating/testing/iterating Dark Souls 2 on their PC's that they had a 30FPS cap on. Also the framerate wildly fluctuates on the console versions, and during any of those fluctuations the weapon wear down (and the other things affected by framerate) would be different. I think Dark Souls 2 at 60FPS was the intended game (especially considering the 360 version isn't even limited to 30FPS).

VC is a different story though.

Chariot

lol. Apropos not knowing,. I hit the The Woodland Snare (Pt.1) in my second playthrough and wondered why I only got a B despite not wasting any turn.
Turns out I missed the flowers. I thought I played the game with my brain on, apparently not.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That FPS bug is kind of fucked.

It also means that when playing in 3D vision mode the game is at half speed which sucks. Thankfully I can't get 3D to work anyway so that's not a bug that actually needs fixing lol

Falk

that puzzling face
Dear Diary,

Today I discovered Double Movement fills up the whole bar, not 2/3 1/3 or 1/10th of the bar you get for consecutive movements.

L O L

Top Bottom