• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Ultimadrago

rosiethequeenxcs2h.jpg

Rosie in wonderful Ach Dee.

Halp.

Also, I'm trying to use my casual GifCam skills to make gifs, but can't seem to make Windowed mode of VC any smaller...

Bombless

drive over there with the Edelweiss! Easily my favorite mission so far

The
train
does have a close range attack that hurts preeetty bad, but I agree on the Edelweiss' resilience. Ramsey never leaves it's backside though, just in case.

I crossed the tanktrap bridge in way too many turns. For some reason I thought the mortar didn't work on them, I ended up clearing the way with Largo's lance....which missed a couple times (seriously, lancers suck so, SO bad) and then grenades.

I also got one or two KOs due to the interception fire from the
train
but I suspect the ridiculous amount of damage is due to the 60 fps bug.

Rosie in wonderful Ach Dee.

Halp.

Also, I'm trying to use my casual GifCam skills to make gifs, but can't seem to make Windowed mode of VC any smaller...

I like you! I like Rosie even more!

willa

Neo Member
Is this worth picking up? Keep seeing it on Green man and stream just want to find out what fellow gaffers think of it

Personally, I don't use the Edelweiss as mobile cover. Always used infantry as mobile cover for the radiator instead.

Is this worth picking up? Keep seeing it on Green man and stream just want to find out what fellow gaffers think of it

You didn't buy it yet?

whats-wrong-with-you.gif

willa

Neo Member
Personally, I don't use the Edelweiss as mobile cover. Always used infantry as mobile cover for the radiator instead.

You didn't buy it yet?

whats-wrong-with-you.gif

haha I am guessing from this it worth £15 notes. The only thing I am wondering is it story based or just battle after battle with this information I will be picking it up

Sectus

haha I am guessing from this it worth £15 notes. The only thing I am wondering is it story based or just battle after battle with this information I will be picking it up

The game is very story based. There's cutscenes before and after every mission.

Bombless

You have 1-3 cutscenes between each mission, sometimes more. The game is VERY story based.

It's split up into chapters, with each chapter further divided into individual episodes. Episodes can be either cinematic/talking head cutscenes, or battles. There are also other areas for upgrading or customizing your squad, as well as supplemental glossary areas to learn more about the game's lore/setting. Also included is a skirmish mode where you can practice combat for XP and money, useful if you feel rusty or a little behind the campaign's level curve! The game is heavily story-based, with each chapter locked until the previous is complete, but the chapter/episode set-up allows the user to very easily play the way they want.

It's very clever, really. I found it a little confusing at first, but now I think it's a good standard for this these sorts of games. Being able to replay any cinematic or battle is great... and the game even has a new game plus mode.

Sega knocked it out of the park with this one.

McNum

Completed chapter 9. That has to be the easiest chapter in the game if you know what to do and blatantly ignore the game's advice.

"Use the tank to block the road!"

We could do that, or...
Let the car advance one step, just next to a Rosie already in waiting, then...

O R D E R "ROSIE! Defense Boost! Damage Boost! Your turn, shoot the radiator! GO!"

Mission Complete.

Then I faced the toughest dilemma of the entire game. Get better guns. Get better armor. Or...
the beach episode
. I'll get those guns later.

I'm still confused about Lynn though, she never appeared on my roster and I checked multiple times later one and she never appeared. A shame because I'd like to have her on the team
because her name resembles another waifu from another japanese SRPG

To get Lynn to show up;
Lynn is Karl the engineer's lover, so what you have to do is have Karl downed (you can still call the Medic and have him evacted)
.On the next recruitment opportunity Lynn will be there. The same thing is true to get Emille
(Oscar is his older brother)

Are the sequels that bad? What a bummer.
It's the lack of ambition on Sega's behalf that really stings. The original VC could of been a springboard to greater refinement of the formula. But instead it got downgraded to the psp to try and cash in on the Monster Hunter craze. More or less killed the franchise in the West with that decision.

Bombless

To get Lynn to show up;
Lynn is Karl the engineer's lover, so what you have to do is have Karl downed (you can still call the Medic and have him evacted)
.On the next recruitment opportunity Lynn will be there. The same thing is true to get Emille

Wow, I had no idea. This game, man.

Tizoc

To get Lynn to show up;

It's the lack of ambition on Sega's behalf that really stings. The original VC could of been a springboard to greater refinement of the formula. But instead it got downgraded to the psp to try and cash in on the Monster Hunter craze. More or less killed the franchise in the West with that decision.

Looking at how they forced a 'school setting' in VC2, it was more them taking ques from Persona series.

Ultimadrago

I switched back to English after a few cutscenes of Japanese.

Though I made a temporary switch back to Japanese to hear the Empire's voices. Man, Maximillian and Selvaria's voices are great stuff.

P.H. Perinax

Neo Member
Looking at how they forced a 'school setting' in VC2, it was more them taking ques from Persona series.

Which is a real shame since they had a lot of story potential with
the civil war that broke out when their princess revealed her Darcsen heritage
. And with
the Federation secretly supporting the rebels in exchange for annexation.
But nooooo, they just had to go with the "idiot hero" high school drama nonsense.

Jarmel

Banned
Wow fuck the asshole who thought up the Edy Lancer Challenge. Straight up bullshit. Took me an hour and half to beat and I was only able to get a C on it.

I've found snipers pretty useful in some maps. Usually only useful on turns 1/2, but even then that can mean 5/6 kills. The good thing about snipers is that it is a OHKO if the enemy isn't crouching so if you can mortar a large group its pretty efficient.

Snipers become more and more useful later on too once they get more accurate weapons that make shooting with them less of a crapshoot.

Sectus

Well, fiddle. I drove into a trench with my tank in chapter 13 and I can't get out at all. I guess that's the tank movement framerate bug at work.

Violet_0

Banned
so chapter 14 was stupid but easily exploitable, chapter 15 just plain sucks
is there any way I can stop Selvaria from soloing my entire squad while I climb the stairs? There's no cover at the top of the stairs and oh she can kill everyone at my fucking start position too. Did I miss something? These gimmicks are getting freaking annoying

Falk

that puzzling face
Are you playing at 60fps?

(Sorry, it had to be asked)

Better answer: Edelweiss smokes helps a little, although knowing in advance that you can only
hit Selvaria from directly behind - she dodges otherwise
, will probably save you a lot of trial-and-error aggravation towards the end. Solution spoiler:
Meaning getting a scout behind her to attract attention and turn her around, then shooting her in the head from the starting position with a sniper or lancer (lol) is pretty much the goal you want to aim for

cpooi

i didn't play VC 2 & 3, but I found the setting that all Gallians do their military training in high school an intriguing concept. Sure beats the 2 years of my life I spent on conscription.

Violet_0

Banned

yeah, I guess that makes it bit harder. Though it only affects the fire rate while intercepting, right?

Better answer: Edelweiss smokes helps a little, although knowing in advance that you can only
, will probably save you a lot of trial-and-error aggravation towards the end. Solution spoiler:
Meaning getting a scout behind her to attract attention and turn her around, then shooting her in the head from the starting position with a sniper or lancer (lol) is pretty much the goal you want to aim for

that's something worth trying, although I can't even reach the other camps

DJ_Lae

Mid chapter 8 now, and most of that has been today - forgot how much I enjoyed this game due to how many years I've gone without playing it.

Chapter 7 was great to replay knowing exactly what was going to happen (even if my last playthrough was a second run through with everyone leveled to max), plus Selvaria seems very sensitive to where you place your tank as she'll just sort of stand by herself while your lancers fuck up the Batomys.

DhN4D3I.jpg

Ah, Jann.

Weiss

Banned
so chapter 14 was stupid but easily exploitable, chapter 15 just plain sucks
is there any way I can stop Selvaria from soloing my entire squad while I climb the stairs? There's no cover at the top of the stairs and oh she can kill everyone at my fucking start position too. Did I miss something? These gimmicks are getting freaking annoying

I dropped a smoke bomb on her every turn, and it kept my units alive until was ready to take her on. Once you capture the camps on the lower left and right, your units should be safe from her until you're ready to attack.

Falk

that puzzling face
yeah, I guess that makes it bit harder. Though it only affects the fire rate while intercepting, rate?

As you noted,
Selvaria already murders from the starting position when you're simply just RUNNING FOR COVER LOL. (You can drive the Edelweiss forward and shoot a smoke at the wall below her though)

Violet_0

Banned
As you noted,
Selvaria already murders from the starting position when you're simply just RUNNING FOR COVER LOL. (You can drive the Edelweiss forward and shoot a smoke at the wall below her though)
that's actually not really an issue since I use my tanks to cover the area leading up to the stairs on each side. She kills my guys at the base camp during the enemy turn before they have even moved

my problem is that once I get to the top of the stairs there's no way to hide from her. And then there's also the snipers that shoot at me while I can't fire back because of the level geometry. I forgot about the smoke grenades, though.

I dropped a smoke bomb on her every turn, and it kept my units alive until was ready to take her on. Once you capture the camps on the lower left and right, your units should be safe from her until you're ready to attack.

yep, that should work, thanks

I'm guessing the WTF over ex-hard skirmishes is coming soon.

You can't use any tank. Welkin is always on foot.
You can't use orders.
Mission objectives are either kill all enemies or move Welkin to a heavily guarded destination.
New Md Tank+ with 2000 range machine guns that can hit almost anywhere on the map.
On Edy's Squad Challenge maps you usually don't get a tank, which also means no orders.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm guessing the WTF over ex-hard skirmishes is coming soon.

You can't use any tank. Welkin is always on foot.
You can't use orders.
Mission objectives are either kill all enemies or move Welkin to a heavily guarded destination.
New Md Tank+ with 2000 range machine guns that can hit almost anywhere on the map.
On Edy's Squad Challenge maps you usually don't get a tank, which also means no orders.

Yea shit is hard as stink. Not even worth it for me as it's clear that's going to be a huge headache.

Well, there's the really cheap way to take her out from within the smoke screen...

Snipers. Snipers everywhere.

I can't wait for somebody to make a map editor for this game.

Wow fuck the asshole who thought up the Edy Lancer Challenge. Straight up bullshit. Took me an hour and half to beat and I was only able to get a C on it.

Yep, started it up, saw the map, reloaded to menu. I'll wait to have level 20 lancers in NG+.

Also Alicia + Awaken Potential in NG+ is so op I'm doing almost every skirmishes in easy and normal in 1 or 2 turns top (fouzen normal in 1 turn, wth).

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, there's the really cheap way to take her out from within the smoke screen...

Snipers. Snipers everywhere.

I can't wait for somebody to make a map editor for this game.

You still need her to be facing in the other direction

Also Alicia + Awaken Potential in NG+ is so op I'm doing almost every skirmishes in easy and normal in 1 or 2 turns top (fouzen normal in 1 turn, wth).

literally sonic the hedgehog

Jarmel

Banned
Yep, started it up, saw the map, reloaded to menu. I'll wait to have level 20 lancers in NG+.

You didn't even see the bullshit part. You know how there are three bases, each base spawns two adds per turn if you don't capture them. At one point I literally had close to twenty adds on the map.

You still need her to be facing in the other direction
No need, at least on the PS3 version. Four different snipers, first turn, game over.

As cheap as it was, part of why I enjoyed the back half of the game so much is that I felt like the game was asking me to think outside the box. Sure, you could abuse orders and scouts, but usually there was some even crazier way to get an A rank if you started trying ridiculous stuff.

dkoy

To get Lynn to show up;

Oh wow did not know. Didn't really use Karl much though I did have him in my squad for a short period of time. I always like to keep my engineers safe
except for that time in the battle of Naggiar where I had Claudia take point for some reason and she got stomped by some shocktroopers. RIP and sorry :(

Top Bottom