• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Yea the ranking system in this game isn't fun at all. Did a mission in 2 turns but I got a B. Looked online and yea just scout rush.

I'll do that on my second run but what a shame to hear this... Quite disappointing :( Otherwise, I'm loving all the stuff in the game: the terrain (crawling, taking cover, going through walls, tank weak points, headshots, the diverse classes and weapon options), the turn system (which quite reminded me of Front Mission 3 minus the awesome mechs and ROFUPIII skill but with 100% more tanks and waifus), unit placement, taking over points... I'm surprised we never got a Warhammer 40k game styled like this... but maybe now that SEGA has Relic and such? Heh.

But, yeah, so far so good!

edit:

Well, that's the ROFUPIII right there!

KingKong

Am I doing something wrong or are enemy lancers supposed to be able to kill my tank in one hit from full health? I've gotten every upgrade I could for it.

Durante

And people say scouts are broken. I think all classes get a bit "broken" endgame with the right orders.

I guess it's somewhat related to the old RPG progression discussion. Where I'm always a fan of letting players go a bit wild with their skills end-game in single-player, even when it's not perfectly "balanced".

Am I doing something wrong or are enemy lancers supposed to be able to kill my tank in one hit from full health? I've gotten every upgrade I could for it.
Protect your weak point! It's blue and glowing, you can't miss it ;)

Chariot

If they hit the radiator, yes.

And people say scouts are broken. I think all classes get a bit "broken" endgame with the right orders.

I guess it's somewhat related to the old RPG progression discussion. Where I'm always a fan of letting players go a bit wild with their skills end-game in single-player, even when it's not perfectly "balanced".

Protect your weak point! It's blue and glowing, you can't miss it ;)
I already look forward to start a new game immediately after finishing. Will be fun to suddenly crush the empire's troops really hard with the upgraded squad and the knowledge of the battles.

Except the only reason Squad 7 is able to even take down the Marmota is because Alicia weakened it. The game keeps framing Alicia's powers as wrong and destructive, yet Gallia only wins those battles because she uses them. You can't have it both ways.

The hole she punctured might have allowed Squad 7 to storm the Marmota, but she failed to stomp the immediate threat of the Marmota storming into the capital (which they knew he was going to) and stealing the Valkof in the first place, which he used to decimate two militia squads in an instant. That was why she was going to use the blue flame to destroy it and Max to mitigate such an event. And the question you asked prior was why Alicia had such a death wish during this scene (that and because Valkyrurs are known to destructive weapons and also liars and she didn't want to be associated with them). She lost her Valkyrur Lance already puncturing the hole, so didn't have other sort of weaponry besides guns (lol) to stop the Marmota literally right in its tracks. She probably thought it was more appropriate to go out like that, since in Japanese culture suicide is a means of redemption, and her suiciding could pardon her for her the sinf of her Valkyrian ancestors in the past (hence why Faldio killed himself instead of... just throwing Max down), and you know Japanese writers writing war.

Durante

Talking about the radiator, people were complaining about some things being "unrealistic" a bit earlier in the thread, but that never came up.

I mean, it's a tank design featuring a huge glowing weak spot which makes your tank explode when you just look at it wrong. If there was ever an indication that gameplay concerns were what drove this game's design over "realism" then that would be it :p

KingKong

Hmm I dont think I exposed the radiator, usually when it happens its facing them or angled but the radiator is always in the back

KiraFA37

The music is freaking awesome. I'm going to Japan in January so please someone tell me this is in CD form so I can pick it up!!!

According to the internet they have an OST. But remind that the OST is from 2008 and such maybe hard to find, I recommend checking out speciality or second-hand shops or... you know the internet.

Also has somebody else noticed the mismatch in animation between an engineers arms and their wrench when disarming mines and such?

Chariot

Talking about the radiator, people were complaining about some things being "unrealistic" a bit earlier in the thread, but that never came up.

I mean, it's a tank design featuring a huge glowing weak spot which makes your tank explode when you just look at it wrong. If there was ever an indication that gameplay concerns were what drove this game's design over "realism" then that would be it :p
I would argue that they need to be visible due the heat they send, which is with the light a result of the used ragnite. But then again, far bigger ... things than the tanks have no exposed radiators and can still move.

Got it! Everything was perfectly fine on the game side, I was just apparently too stupid to work with alpha channels in PS.

screenshot_2014-11-15jzo38.jpg

(Note that I haven't redrawn the camp icons yet for comparison)

For both the canvas and the border texture, I
  1. Scaled them up to 4x the size using the ImageMagick Mitchell resampling filter.
  2. Applied some filters to (very subtly) add high-frequency detail on top of the existing upsampled texture.
For the border, I additionally smoothened the blocking and moved out the desaturation effect (alpha channel) a bit further towards the edge of the screen.

Edit:
Get it here.
This just keeps getting better and better. Thanks!

Chapter 11 :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Haunted

It's well-known that the specific Ragnite composition used in tank production needs a constant exposure to natural oxygen to prevent its highly volatile chemical energy from going critical.

*coughbullshitcough*

Durante

I've finished my unit icon mod. While I was at it I also threw in an (optional!) smaller cursor. That's the result:

screenshot_2014-11-15j1ss7.jpg

This took me far longer than it should, probably because I'm a programmer and not an artist :p -- and probably also because I'm a perfectionist, so I was pretty much repainting each icon at 800% zoom level as a vector representation.
Someone far more motivated or skilled could replace all the other 2D graphics, like the CP etc. But I think the unit icons were by far the most important, since they look so simplified/vector-y but then are just noticeably low-res by default (at least on a 2560x1440 screen) -- especially since the arrows showing the direction are already high-res! I'm pretty happy with everything now.

Here it is.

I've finished my unit icon mod. While I was at it I also threw in an (optional!) smaller cursor. That's the result:

screenshot_2014-11-15j1ss7.jpg

This took me far longer than it should, probably because I'm a programmer and not an artist :p -- and probably also because I'm a perfectionist, so I was pretty much repainting each icon at 800% zoom level as a vector representation.
Someone far more motivated or skilled could replace all the other 2D graphics, like the CP etc. But I think the unit icons were by far the most important, since they look so simplified/vector-y but then are just noticeably low-res by default (at least on a 2560x1440 screen) -- especially since the arrows showing the direction are already high-res! I'm pretty happy with everything now.

Here it is.
Yeah it looks fantastic in game.

Falk

that puzzling face

Durante

Eventually someone needs to consolidate all of this into a "HD remaster" type bundle.

work on the music tracks that weren't already recorded live has begun but you didn't hear it here and I didn't say it. Also still not sure if the music in cutscenes are baked-in which would make them impossible to replace
Awesome!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
So I've been trying to go from normal supersampling (limited to 1530p on AMD card) to Gedosato with VC but I'm not having any luck even starting the game(or the config tool) with it (it's latest version, and it does work with some other games for me).

Not sure if this might be an issue of running in Windows 8.1 - anything worth troubleshooting with? Already tried the delayed hook and some other options - I'd prefer to avoid having to actually run a debugger but if there's no other ideas I may try :(

Levyne

Banned
So I've been trying to go from normal supersampling (limited to 1530p on AMD card) to Gedosato with VC but I'm not having any luck even starting the game(or the config tool) with it (it's latest version, and it does work with some other games for me).

Not sure if this might be an issue of running in Windows 8.1 - anything worth troubleshooting with? Already tried the delayed hook and some other options - I'd prefer to avoid having to actually run a debugger but if there's no other ideas I may try :(

Try these things

Make sure Valkyria is in your whitelist. If you have the latest version, it should be in there already, but double check.

Run Gedosato but deactivate it, then run both VC's configuration and the game. Quit, Then activate Gedosato and then it should work.

However, I don't know anything about 8.1 compatibility/issues.

Durante

My first idea would have been delayed hooking, but since you already tried that...

Does the log file spit out anything useful if you enable logging (logLevel 20 or so)?

There have been some reports of Valkyria in particular not starting with GeDoSaTo enabled for some people, but I've not been able to reproduce that on my system so I can't debug it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Sadly that doesn't help - If I deactivate Gedosato prior to starting VC - the tool itself stops working correctly. Trying to activate/hook it after returning to desktop has no effect, on any game, unless I restart it (which brings be back to square one with game not running).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
My first idea would have been delayed hooking, but since you already tried that...
Does the log file spit out anything useful if you enable logging (logLevel 20 or so)?
Just tried this and it looks like starting VC I get no log-output at all, so it must be crashing before logs are even written - does that ring any bells?

Eventually someone needs to consolidate all of this into a "HD remaster" type bundle.

work on the music tracks that weren't already recorded live has begun but you didn't hear it here and I didn't say it. Also still not sure if the music in cutscenes are baked-in which would make them impossible to replace

Valkyria Chronicles Definitive Edition. PC exclusive

Durante

Just tried this and it looks like starting VC I get no log-output at all, so it must be crashing before logs are even written - does that ring any bells?
No, that's very unusual. No log output or not even a log file? If the latter, you could check the windows debug log, which is where it logs before it opens the log file, but it wouldn't really help much (there's not much happening before normal logging starts).

How are you launching the game? By running the executable or starting it through Steam? Try both, and also try restarting Steam.

Chariot

Chapter 17 was fun.

I like Radi Jaeger's characterdesign and the mission was very fun to play since I finally got something to conquer again and was yet again forced to use all kind of troups, even if the engineer just repaired the Edelweiss. Only bummer was that I misunderstood Jaegers tank. I needed only 3 and a half rounds to conquer all camps, but another 3 and a half to destroy the armor and the tank itself. I probably hit the tank badly. Need to improve that on the second playthrough.

Final chapter now, eh. Meaning I probably finished the main game tomorrow. \o\

McNum

Gallian Mythbusters time!
Chapter 7 spoilers!

Myth: Shooting
Selvaria Bles
in Chapter 7 with a mortar will immobilize her!

Testing the Myth:
Well, there's not really much else to do that start up the chapter and, well, shoot her in the face with a mortar and then see if she acts on the enemy turn.

The Setup:
Welkin Gunther will navigate his tank to stay on the inside of Batymos' turning curve, keeping him safe from the main gun, and only taking rear gun shots to the front armor. This will cause him to be in perfect position to attack
Selvaria.

The Test:
Aim and FIRE!

The Result:
Poor Rosie. Conclusion, target is still mobile!

Myth BUSTED!

Replicating the result: Now it wouldn't be proper to end this without trying to find a way to actually immobilize
Selvaria
, and since we've already tried the biggest explosive we've got, then we need to try something less explosive. Instead we recommend THIS! Box her in, if she can't see anything other than tanks, she'll skip turn or try to keep up with the Batymos after it moves. Point being, you can move with near impunity despite that moving after she's arrived usually means death.

Bonus:
How to deal with Batymos' radiators the smart way: They're open top, toss a grenade in there for a one-hit kill. Shooting them with Lancers can work, but, eh... this is faster.

Well this was fun. I probably wasted a turn on this, got some people in the wrong line of fire for a bit, but no one were killed, just KO'd, and I can live with a B for now. FOR SCIENCE!

Chapter 4 is giving me hell to pay. I tend to turtle in strategy games and this one is forcing me to rush like a madman and exposing my waifus to front line harm. :(

General question: do I even need to move the Edelweiss in most missions? I feel consuming two CPs and considering how bloody slowly it moves it's just not worth it at all, especially when its three weapons can still miss a target and waste your plans.

McNum

Chapter 4 is giving me hell to pay. I tend to turtle in strategy games and this one is forcing me to rush like a madman and exposing my waifus to front line harm. :(

General question: do I even need to move the Edelweiss in most missions? I feel consuming two CPs and considering how bloody slowly it moves it's just not worth it at all, especially when its three weapons can still miss a target and waste your plans.
Some missions make the Edelweiss indespensible, and others it's just there to be a wireless radio to shout out orders instead of being part of the fight. If you need to rush, then the Edelweiss can't keep up. If you need to hold a point, or need to block line of sight, it's great.

But it does carry the issue of being your King unit. If it is destroyed, you lose. And it's not invulnerable, especially if something sneaks up on it from behind. Keep that rear safe.

Chariot

Bonus:
How to deal with Batymos' radiators the smart way: They're open top, toss a grenade in there for a one-hit kill. Shooting them with Lancers can work, but, eh... this is faster.
I didn't even thought of using Lancers against the Radiators until I read it in this thread. Going up the ladders was the first thing I did after shooting down the first two cannons. Of course the radiators weren't out yet, so my first experiment didn't worked, but it made more sense when they came out the first time and I immediately send a scout to throw grenades in.

No, not really. There are some missions where it makes too much sense to not move her, but generally you can let her be where she is.

dani_dc

I go a few days without being able to play the game and come back to find a bunch of mods already.

I love you guys.

I know, right? I wish I could throw Welkin and Largo out. They taint my otherwise all female military force.

Welkin is fine since he's inside of a tank plus you can imagine him as a representation of yourself. Largo, eh.

Falk

that puzzling face

Later on the tank does get a tactical weapon that only it can fire (won't spoil what, but it's defensive). And it also makes an excellent mobile barricade, which if you count your 2 CP as one shot + repositioning of that mobile barricade, it kind of balances out, I guess.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
No, that's very unusual. No log output or not even a log file?
It was the latter.
That said - after you suggested launching without Steam - I tried playing with compatibility settings for the game/config. Doing that I managed to get both of them to start with Vista SP2 or XP SP3 - this may or may not be stable - I'll play with it a bit next.

I guess it sort of explains the lack of log-files - and why only some people run into it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://i.minus.com/iba03ZWHnBInTd.gif

You'll find out quickly that Snipers are probably the weakest unit in the game. Good for "long range support" but they can't get you S (er-"A") ranks in maps nor help you rush over the map to take capture points for later maps with reinforcements enabled.

Also why did no one tell me to not wait for Skirmish 6 and just use the DLC class skirmishes? Those things give out MASSIVE EXP gain. Already maxed my Scouts at Chapter 10. Now I just gotta max the other classes out.

Chariot

You'll find out quickly that Snipers are probably the weakest unit in the game. Good for "long range support" but they can't get you S (er-"A") ranks in maps nor help you rush over the map to take capture points for later maps with reinforcements enabled.
Fuck the rating, man. Everyone should play as the way they want.
Welkin is fine since he's inside of a tank plus you can imagine him as a representation of yourself. Largo, eh.
Yeah :(

dkoy

Just beat the main game. Felt good. Also did the Edy Detachment mission and was kind of disappointed since I was expected more than just one mission. Some great expansion on the characters, though I never unlocked Lynn for some reason in the main game so she took me by surprise.

Started Behind her Blue Flame and finished the first battle but goddamn are Imperials incompetent. How the hell did they get so far into Gallia? Selvaria must have literally fought in every batttle for them to reach so far.

Top Bottom