• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Chariot

Just beat the main game. Felt good. Also did the Edy Detachment mission and was kind of disappointed since I was expected more than just one mission. Some great expansion on the characters, though I never unlocked Lynn for some reason in the main game so she took me by surprise.

Started Behind her Blue Flame and finished the first battle but goddamn are Imperials incompetent. How the hell did they get so far into Gallia? Selvaria must have literally fought in every batttle for them to reach so far.
Well, they have superior technology, a bigger army (even with the Milita in it the gallian military was outnumbered) and Damon seemed to be in charge of the defense. I also question Maximilians ability to make rational decisions.
Rating gives you mad EXP though. Faster grinding = faster you can then play the way you want.
I played my way from the beginning, never encountered problems. You can play a skirmish or two to cope for the loss of Exp and DCT, or just go in with what you have. If you force yourself to just use the one tactic, you might have missing out on the fun part of the game.

I've read through a bunch of pages but I haven't seen anyone ask this:

Is there any benefit to running over defeated enemies? I checked on Gamefaqs and in the forums some people say that it's the only way to get the best weapons in the JPN release, but not in the American release. Some people say it never gave you bonuses in any release. One of the guides I looked at says it gives you EXP bonuses. What's the deal?

Chariot

I've read through a bunch of pages but I haven't seen anyone ask this:

Is there any benefit to running over defeated enemies? I checked on Gamefaqs and in the forums some people say that it's the only way to get the best weapons in the JPN release, but not in the American release. Some people say it never gave you bonuses in any release. One of the guides I looked at says it gives you EXP bonuses. What's the deal?
In this version it grants you a minor amount of extra EXP.

KiraFA37

Up to chapter 15 now, going to call it a day. Could have gotten further but I did some more skirmishes and all the reports. Welkin's one "Flower of the Battlefield" was a though one since your limited in the amount of troops you can deploy versus theirs, good fun though. Think I'm going to rewatch the anime too.

xBladeM6x

Beating hard difficulty Vasel Riverside skirmish was extremely fun. I'll admit, there's been times I've been tempted to look up guides for certain missions, but I'm so glad I didn't. Also, someone should mod the lancers map icon to be the Warrior of Sunlight icon, so I can Praise The Sun in VC.

Chariot

Beating hard difficulty Vasel Riverside skirmish was extremely fun. I'll admit, there's been times I've been tempted to look up guides for certain missions, but I'm so glad I didn't.
Btw. how do I access "Hard"? I can only get to choose easy and normal. Do I need to finish the main story first?

Durante

Just beat the main game. Felt good. Also did the Edy Detachment mission and was kind of disappointed since I was expected more than just one mission. Some great expansion on the characters, though I never unlocked Lynn for some reason in the main game so she took me by surprise.

Started Behind her Blue Flame and finished the first battle but goddamn are Imperials incompetent. How the hell did they get so far into Gallia? Selvaria must have literally fought in every batttle for them to reach so far.
The Imperials are a perfect SRPG enemy: they are individually incompetent, but there are tons and tons of them :p

It was the latter.
That said - after you suggested launching without Steam - I tried playing with compatibility settings for the game/config. Doing that I managed to get both of them to start with Vista SP2 or XP SP3 - this may or may not be stable - I'll play with it a bit next.

I guess it sort of explains the lack of log-files - and why only some people run into it.
Good to know, something I can suggest to people having similar difficulties.

I've found snipers pretty useful in some maps. Usually only useful on turns 1/2, but even then that can mean 5/6 kills. The good thing about snipers is that it is a OHKO if the enemy isn't crouching so if you can mortar a large group its pretty efficient.

Being fair, Gallia military is
not that much better outside Welkin's squad and Eleanor's 3rd regiment if General Damon is anything to go by

dkoy

Well, they have superior technology, a bigger army (even with the Milita in it the gallian military was outnumbered) and Damon seemed to be in charge of the defense. I also question Maximilians ability to make rational decisions.

The Imperials are a perfect SRPG enemy: they are individually incompetent, but there are tons and tons of them :p

That's true enough. I suppose with Damon leading the army you'd find it hard to not be victorious :p

I'm still confused about Lynn though, she never appeared on my roster and I checked multiple times later one and she never appeared. A shame because I'd like to have her on the team
because her name resembles another waifu from another japanese SRPG

Maximilian:
I'm going to send one of my remaining and competent generals (that happens to be a person of mass destruction but I'm pissed to her :mad: ) to a suicide mission and hope she kils all the army and nobody is competent enough to defeat me.

KiraFA37

That's true enough. I suppose with Damon leading the army you'd find it hard to not be victorious :p

I'm still confused about Lynn though, she never appeared on my roster and I checked multiple times later one and she never appeared. A shame because I'd like to have her on the team
because her name resembles another waifu from another japanese SRPG

The worse part is that during the Barious battle (I think it was here) he complains to Cpt. Varrot to fix it because he's concered how defeat will look like to the higher ups. This tells us.
  1. He isn't at the top of the army.
  2. This top hasn't fired him yet
  3. The top of the army is thus even worse then Damon

I wonder how the Federation is doing these days....

The worse part is that during the Barious battle (I think it was here) he complains to Cpt. Varrot to fix it because he's concered how defeat will look like to the higher ups. This tells us.

Galia is not part of the Federation
but they are probably as bad if that stunt with the Queen is anything to go by.

Hey Durante, just wondering if you were going to update the OT with all of these nice graphics mods. It would be nice to have an easy to find listing, since this thread moves quickly.

KiraFA37

Galia is not part of the Federation
but they are probably as bad if that stunt with the Queen is anything to go by.

I know. We have documented how clumsly both the Gallian and Imperial command is and I was wondering how the Federation command would fit in the grand scheme of things.

Chariot

Maximilian:
I'm going to send one of my remaining and competent generals (that happens to be a person of mass destruction but I'm pissed to her :mad: ) to a suicide mission and hope she kils all the army and nobody is competent enough to defeat me.
Yeah, and that is not his only fuck up.

I think I read that Borg put him into the position. I guess Borg filled the military with royals with blood being more important than competence.
I know. We have documented how clumsly both the Gallian and Imperial command is and I was wondering how the Federation command would fit in the grand scheme of things.
Chapter 9 spoiler:
Given their weakass try to kidnap the princess they are not very good either. Their guys weren't very strong and I wouldn't wonder if Borg made the way for them.

A battle of knifes between three drunk monkeys. Thought the basic premise of VC3
is that there were super secret black ops operations, so dunno how this fits there.

Chapter 4 is giving me hell to pay. I tend to turtle in strategy games and this one is forcing me to rush like a madman and exposing my waifus to front line harm. :(

General question: do I even need to move the Edelweiss in most missions? I feel consuming two CPs and considering how bloody slowly it moves it's just not worth it at all, especially when its three weapons can still miss a target and waste your plans.

I always found the Edelweiss to be a more reliable tank-killer than lancers, since it has infinite anti-tank rounds and better aim/range/durability than lancers.

And of course it's also useful as mobile cover, as well as the extra ability it gets midgame.

Honestly when it comes to the Federation, I've always thought of them as being like the New Conglomerate *cough*pushedbacktowarpgate*cough*, so it's not all surprising they couldn't pull off something as basic as moving an HVT without someone noticing.

kn1ves24

I know this is more of technical question but maybe someone can help me here. I'm trying to play this on laptop that has a Nvidia GTX 860M graphics card. Maxell-based with 2GB dedicated memory. It also has a Intel Core i7-4710 processor. I am getting rather poor performance with this game. I have to lower the resolution considerably to get a framerate that is even playable.

I know this is a mobile graphics card and I'm not expecting desktop like performance but in the past I've been able to run more demanding games at higher graphics setting than this and still maintain playable framerates.

Is anybody else playing this on a laptop? what type of performance are you getting?

Peff

I know this is more of technical question but maybe someone can help me here. I'm trying to play this on laptop that has a Nvidia GTX 860M graphics card. Maxell-based with 2GB dedicated memory. It also has a Intel Core i7-4710 processor. I am getting rather poor performance with this game. I have to lower the resolution considerably to get a framerate that is even playable.

I know this is a mobile graphics card and I'm not expecting desktop like performance but in the past I've been able to run more demanding games at higher graphics setting than this and still maintain playable framerates.

Is anybody else playing this on a laptop? what type of performance are you getting?

Is V-Sync enabled? If so, disable it.

KiraFA37

Check if your using your dedicated GPU. I'm on a 650m and can play this 1080p with 60FPS. In the Nvidia configuration screen you can force the use of the dedicated card. Had the same issue and the start screen ran like crap, after forcing the game to use my 650m it was glorious 60FPS.

Falk

that puzzling face
work on the music tracks that weren't already recorded live has begun but you didn't hear it here and I didn't say it. Also still not sure if the music in cutscenes are baked-in which would make them impossible to replace

Wups, to follow up on this, it does seem like the cutscene audio is music/sfx/va baked into one audio track (one for EN, one for JP) which makes absolute sense but sucks for doing an update pass on the music in the game. Oh well. (Still totally possible to do in-game stuff if we figure out how to replace music assets)

A battle of knifes between three drunk monkeys. Thought the basic premise of VC3
is that there were super secret black ops operations, so dunno how this fits there.

Playing through VC3 alongside VC1 (let's pretend VC2 doesn't exist). I don't really think the basic premise of VC3 is a spoiler, but:

I don't think it's really a spoiler, but in VC3 because reasons the main character, Kurt Irving, is transferred to Squad 422, otherwise known as the Nameless. They are a penal squad that officially does not exist, and they specialize in doing black operations with most of them essentially being suicide missions.

In regards to the Federation, they have a much bigger role in the political situation of VC2. But VC2's story isn't as good as it should be so whatever. VC3 is a lot more interesting. What VC2 does have is
fuckers in power suits, and fuck those guys they will fuck your shit up if you don't know what you're doing.

Actual spoilers for the first 15-20 minutes of VC3:

Kurt Irving was the top student and graduate of Lanseal Military Academy. Which is the setting of VC2. He bumps into a guy who then drops a mysterious letter, and Kurt gives it to a Gallian General or whatever. The general assumes he read the contents, and then somehow gets Kurt placed into the Nameless for 'treason'

That's all you get. I'm only at Chapter 4 right now. But VC3's 'git gud' moment is the end of Chapter 2 or 3 I think. Whereas in VC1 for me it was the Batomy's fight, but on my first playthrough in 2008 I somehow did it on my 1st try.

Light VC3 spoilers:

The main characters of VC1 and VC2 all appear as playable characters at different points of the story in VC3.

Violet_0

Banned
like putting the Edelweiss in a sort of horizontal position in front of my waifu squad (oh, yeah, I managed to build my own waifu squad now <3 I can see why people rank Marina so high but I'm also liking Nancy :p

I want to use this opportunity to quickly create a ranking of the best characters

Marina > Aika > Ramona > Jane

search your feelings, you know it to be true

Falk

that puzzling face
Marina objectively destroys things on the other side of the map with Ultimate Aim and the best imperial sniper rifle.

It's not even about waifu

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why exactly do they take down your rating though?

Too many "turns" spent = lower rating. It's kinda a stupid system, but if you're going for S-ranking everything you have to go through the maps as quick as possible. And since the highest EXP awards are from S-ranking...

And damn,
the train
on Chapter 10 hits hard.
Not too sure how to cross the map to stop the reinforcement waves quick enough.
Get caught in the cross-fire? Kiss your unit goodbye.

Sectus

Updated my VCtool. It can now handle the textures in Valkyria.exe, and textures with MXTF header (ie, textures in book_profile.mlx).

Download: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/VCtool.rar
Download source: http://www.tzarsectus.com/tools/source/VCtool.rar

Usage:
- Drag'n'drop files onto the extract.bat and replace.bat batch files in Windows explorer.
OR
- Use it in command prompt (ie, "vctool -x valcA02aD_h.mlx" to extract, "vctool -r valcA02aD_h.mlx" to replace)

Someone wanted to replace the button icons with Wii U icons, this would be a good time to try to do that. Use the tool on valkyria.exe and replace the button icons you find there. One important thing to note, when replacing textures in valkyria.exe, the new textures must match the size of the old textures.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Filesize, which practically means resolution must be the same too.

Edit: That limitation is only for textures in valkyria.exe. Textures in other files should be possible to replace with any kind of DDS texture of any size

Yeah that's fine! I just wanted to put the DS3 textures in there so it would reflect config input changes.

Durante

Filesize, which practically means resolution must be the same too.

Edit: That limitation is only for textures in valkyria.exe. Textures in other files should be possible to replace with any kind of DDS texture of any size
Note that I got the infinite loading bug when I tried replacing the border texture with one which was 4096x2048. No idea why, but it went away when I lowered it to 2048x1024 (original is 1024x512).

Sectus

Bleh, my tool doesn't work with some MXTF textures. I'll try to fix that later. But it should work with most textures right now at least.

Note that I got the infinite loading bug when I tried replacing the border texture with one which was 4096x2048. No idea why, but it went away when I lowered it to 2048x1024 (original is 1024x512).

I'm guessing that's an engine limitation. If a texture of a different size than original works, then my tool should be doing its job correctly.

Violet_0

Banned
I always found the Edelweiss to be a more reliable tank-killer than lancers, since it has infinite anti-tank rounds and better aim/range/durability than lancers.

And of course it's also useful as mobile cover, as well as the extra ability it gets midgame.

At least up until chapter 14 (where I currently am), the Edelweiss is a mobile fortress of destruction. Good against enemy tanks, devastating especially against groups of infantry while completely ignoring cover, the machine gun tears through anything in it's range during enemy turns, practically indestructible with upgraded armor (just forget about the treads upgrades) and an engi that tails along, provides cover for the rest of your army and destroys enemy cover by simply driving over it.

My battle plan for each mission is to basically move the Edelweiss relentlessly towards the objective while my snipers take out everyone that is not hiding behind cover and the scouts capture the camps.

also, I'm so happy about
finally getting a second tank, yay.

I mean, scouts and orders are just overpowered and will complete the missions much faster, but I'm just more of a tank person

also, this game would be perfect for multiplayer

And damn,
the train
on Chapter 10 hits hard.
Not too sure how to cross the map to stop the reinforcement waves quick enough.
Get caught in the cross-fire? Kiss your unit goodbye.

drive over there with the Edelweiss! Easily my favorite mission so far

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
drive over there with the Edelweiss! Easily my favorite mission so far

That's what I'm thinking but too many turns spent getting it across the map over there when I can stop the waves in about 1-3 turns. GAHHH. That cross-fire.

Top Bottom