• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

That was my first thought after playing this game for the first time years ago. Directly controlling your character's turns really felt like an evolutionary step for the genre, and I hoped it would inspire other games to build on this style of play. FFT would be a perfect fit.

Sometimes the gaming industry just let obvious revolutionary ideas wither on the vine. Yes, I'm a gamer complaining about companies NOT copycatting. The irony, eh?

Maximillian randomly starts using "we" and "our" instead of "I" and "my" in the last two chapters lol wdf.
Huh? He does that in the first cutscene you ever see him in (at least in the English localization). It's something called the Royal "We" IIRC - an old affectation of royalty.

Picked this up last week during the sale and loving it so far.

Are the steam achievements borked though? Killed an enemy ace and got a medic to revive someone and didn't get the achievement for either.

Falk

that puzzling face
Try visiting the Barracks to force them to unlock.

Consensus was since they were tied to in-game trophies which mechanically don't unlock till later in the storyline (it's a tab you can visit), the game logic rigged to steam cheevos didn't function properly till they unlock. (it does seem 100% retroactive though)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Been playing for 19 hours and just finished Mission 11.

Big spoilers
Isara was raising death flags from the minute I met her. I was still pretty upset to see her die though.

Absolutely loving the game so far since I found out that upgrade tiers go past the initial 4 weapons shown. I didn't realize you could scroll down and reveal 3 different weapon paths. I hope this sells well enough for other Japanese games to be brought over to Steam.

Ultimadrago

Welp, finally got my 20/20 achievements for Valkyria Chronicles. I was mostly nibbling at it since I had other games to play as well.

I don't go for them traditionally, but Valkyria Chronicles was a very special revisit.

Tuck

Final mission left a somewhat sour taste in my mouth. Insanely cheap. Rest of the game was great. Ending was really sweet.

Curse their advanced technology.

Gallians are, regrettably, only interested in developing useless short-ranged, AoE lances. Or maybe it's just that bro-dude's fault.
Oh god, don't get me fucking started on how retardedly nerfed Gallian lancers are against personnel. On that bridge mission, I tried to use Largo to kill an enemy lancer standing out in the open - I didn't have the most precise aim, but I hit him dead on and it did jack shit. I think I tried using it on a regular enemy and got just about the same result.

Oh god, don't get me fucking started on how retardedly nerfed Gallian lancers are against personnel. On that bridge mission, I tried to use Largo to kill an enemy lancer standing out in the open - I didn't have the most precise aim, but I hit him dead on and it did jack shit. I think I tried using it on a regular enemy and got just about the same result.

Yeah.. lances are more useful for knocking an enemy out of cover rather than directly killing them.

Are there extra lancers you can acquire from named enemy units? Only on chapter.7 atm.

Ace lancers (the named ones) will drop enemey lances, I think. Later on you'll also be awarded lances for certain victories, as well.

You'll be waiting a couple chapters (at least) before this starts happening with any regularity.

m_dorian

I very much liked the villains in this game. Except from Gregor, the rest of them had a reason and a purpose. They appear to care about the troops, want to be just and they do not necessarily hate their enemies (while being racists but they ARE the villains after all)
Giving them positive traits was a great idea, the writers did their job extremely well.

Holy crap, Rosie is like a racist Rambo. I can't tell how many times she's taken entire squads on her own just standing there.

Hell on Ch.7 she dodged
Silveria
4 times, two times in a row during one turn.

What a beast.

gregor
is the spitting image of an SS stormfuhrer, complete with goldeneye train and concentration camp of hated regional race. even wears a hugo boss esque nazi uniform w/ cape

btw, how do you issue orders to your troops? like orders, not commands

Tuck

Holy crap, Rosie is like a racist Rambo. I can't tell how many times she's taken entire squads on her own just standing there.

Hell on Ch.7 she dodged
Silveria

What a beast.
Rosie is god tier, no doubt.

Corpekata

Banned
gregor
is the spitting image of an SS stormfuhrer, complete with goldeneye train and concentration camp of hated regional race. even wears a hugo boss esque nazi uniform w/ cape

btw, how do you issue orders to your troops? like orders, not commands

Bring up menu (y or triangle) and it should be listed along with like end phase, objectives, etc.

Hell on Ch.7 she dodged
Silveria

What a beast.

Shocktroopers really come into their own later on, when defensive orders can make them brave even the heaviest interception fire. I'd also say they get the best secondary weapon of all the elite classes, which helps their utility quite a bit.

Sometimes I wish I never discovered orders. Then I see Alicia running laps around the battlefield one-shotting tanks.
Yeah... it takes a while to grasp how important they are. But, boy, once you do the game changes entirely.

Shengar

Can I join the cool kid club now?
2015-01-02_00002.jpg

2015-01-02_00004.jpg
Walter will be forever remembered as the man who took the Batomys down.
No, he's not dead

Guys, last I recalled, Welkin told that thing to go fuck itself as he put a shell straight down its cannon.

Who's that? The guy sitting at the back of the battlefield in his tank, shouting orders the entire time?

I dunno if I can give Welkin credit for many of the victories, all things considered...

Shengar

Chapter 8 is really nice change of pace from before. I never thought the relationships between Welkin and Alicia could develop this naturally. The encounter with the Imperial lieutenant is nicely done too.
Guys, last I recalled, Welkin told that thing to go fuck itself as he put a shell straight down its cannon.

How can I give the credit to him when he sitting his warm ass in safety of Edelweiss's iron wall while the brave lancers teamed up to take the down Batomys under the fire of valkyrur lance?

hohoXD123

Damn, talk about a game-breaking bug. On chapter 18,
whenever I aim at any of the towers
, the character just won't shoot. Can't even exit to menu or anything.

Damn, talk about a game-breaking bug. On chapter 18,
whenever I aim at any of the towers
, the character just won't shoot. Can't even exit to menu or anything.

Wow, that's bizarre. Might be worth reaching out to the devs to try and get it fixed.

My only thought would be, if you're losing focus on the game somehow, alt-tabbing out and back might fix it.

hohoXD123

Wow, that's bizarre. Might be worth reaching out to the devs to try and get it fixed.

My only thought would be, if you're losing focus on the game somehow, alt-tabbing out and back might fix it.

Just tried that but doesn't work. Noticed something even weirder though, I can actually select a character with 0 HP but again all that happens is that they just stand around and do nothing while the sound plays normally. May just load up an old save.

Also had my characters falling through the floor when going up the ladder in one level as well as inexplicable framerate drops. So yeah, not very impressed from a technical standpoint, though still an amazing game.

Getting real sad whenever I notice people complaining about graphics issues that all have the same pattern of having "Intel HD Graphics" in their specs listed.

It's 2014, have people not learned of the well established fact that one does not simply PC game on integrated graphics?

MayMay

Banned
I'm not really sure whats going on, and I'm also unable to find stuff in the steam community/google so I'll ask here --

So whenever I finish a battle there's a 50% chance of the game just... crashing to desktop after the stat screen. Is that a known problem, and if so is there a fix? Because it slowly starts to be insanely frustrating having to keep replaying battles when I forget to save before they end. :(

Playing with GeDoSaTo on 5120x2880 resolution.

Falk

that puzzling face
Getting real sad whenever I notice people complaining about graphics issues that all have the same pattern of having "Intel HD Graphics" in their specs listed.

It's 2014, have people not learned of the well established fact that one does not simply PC game on integrated graphics?

Why do you think Apple is gaining consumer market share? :V

Eusis

On the plus side at least lower end, older, and indie stuff is playable now, rather than "you thought you could actually play games on this?"

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Man, chapter 15 spoilers

Selvaria didn't deserve to go out like that T_T. I was kinda upset when Isara died but Selveria's death made me stop playing the game for that day.

Lamest mission in the game. I was actually confused in my second run (
botched my first because I thought I could leave the Edelweiss in the "wrong" path.
), because that damn thing took so long. I had to end three turns without doing anything to finally win @.~

Seriously, I was stumped on this mission because I did the same thing you did and had to read a guide. Now before you guys start yelling the whole damn point of the mission was
to make the giant tank run over the billions on mines on the road. Why would anyone run an engineer through all the mines and disable them in order to get through? It's a very poorly designed mission

Unai

I'm not really sure whats going on, and I'm also unable to find stuff in the steam community/google so I'll ask here --

So whenever I finish a battle there's a 50% chance of the game just... crashing to desktop after the stat screen. Is that a known problem, and if so is there a fix? Because it slowly starts to be insanely frustrating having to keep replaying battles when I forget to save before they end. :(

Playing with GeDoSaTo on 5120x2880 resolution.

Some people were having crashs running in higher than 4k resolutions. Try a lower resolution, maybe it's the same problem.

Top Bottom