• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

I have Valkyria Chronicles in the PS3 and finished it. There is someting that I can be missing from the PC version?

Higher resolution, higher framerate, far reduced load times, and all DLC included in the base package.

And I guess Steam achievements if you care about that sort of thing.

Higher resolution, higher framerate, far reduced load times, and all DLC included in the base package.

Ya, it's a damn good PC port that works well on lower end rigs as well. Bought it for $15 during the holiday sale and have zero regrets.

Corgi

Banned
LOL finally progressed further than where i got stuck really early on ps3 which was that underwater tank over river mission.

Pretty much went fuck it and 2 scout my way to the end.

I can see why the scout class is known to be a bit overpowered.

Nyoro SF

And mouse/keyboard controls, seriously amazing. You can heavily mitigate some of the console menu style with a few fast keystrokes.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Alright so I finally finished the game today.

I absolutely loved this game but the last few missions coupled with some annoying design design decisions frustrated me to no end.

End spoilers
Mission 17
Angling the tank in order to fire at the lance was just plain frustrating and not fun at all

Mission 18
Had I not read a guide for the final mission I probably would not know what to have done for this part. Like, it's clear I need to bring down the lightning poles but why the hell does maximillion need to regen HP every turn?

The fact that the game did not allow you to skip the cutscenes before battle nor did it allow for a quick restart optioning was just mind boggling.

Aside from all that though I would still highly recommend this game as I greatly enjoyed the story and characters were absolutely wonderful. The gameplay can get a little frustrating towards the end but overall I'd say the game is very solid.

Now to patiently wait for SEGA to release the sequel.

The ending had a very good little scene for a possible wallpaper.

What lvl was your classes when you finished Pancakes? I'm on ch.
at the moment around lvl 15-16 and I was wondering if I should try and max em out doing skirmishes.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
What lvl was your classes when you finished Pancakes? I'm on ch.
at the moment around lvl 15-16 and I was wondering if I should try and max em out doing skirmishes.

My scouts and shock troopers were both at level 18. Every other class is pointless to level up (beyond elite) since the former two classes are the workhorses of your army. You don't need to max them out.

The only thing I would recommend for that mission is to have a very good flamethrower and at least one sniper.

Bombless

For those of you who always wanted a Selvaria figure but missed out on Alter and ebCraft, Vertex is going to release a 1/6 version based on Raita's art.

FIGURE-009902.jpg

Lusankya

I think she would be a much better character if her breasts weren't so freaking huge!
Actually even "gigantic" is an understatement.

Shengar

I think she would be a much better character if her breasts weren't so freaking huge!
Actually even "gigantic" is an understatement.
True, the focus on her breast as particular trait is really weighted down her character, though as Chariot said we fortunate that there isn't any joke related to that in-game.

Example of her bust size from an in game screenshot of mine.

Yea while Selvaria had big breasts in the game, It wasn't THAT over the top like the statue.

edit: sry for the crappy resolution, took the SS from an old laptop.

Chariot

Oh shit, you guys just reminded me, that I played everything but the Selvaria DLC. FUCK.
I know what I have to do tomorrow.

Nyoro SF

Selvaria DLC

The writing in the DLC felt a lot different than the writing in the game. I think Selvaria was presented way too out of character in an attempt to try to expose more of her inner character.

The missions were lots of fun though. Good enough to balance off the out-of-place writing.

Oh shit, you guys just reminded me, that I played everything but the Selvaria DLC. FUCK.
I know what I have to do tomorrow.

Spoilers that may be useful, presented per line in varying importance:
You need A-Ranks combined with a hidden requirement to unlock two "hidden" missions
If you don't A-Rank, or fail the hidden requirement, you'll complete missions 1 and 3 by default
The first hidden requirement is to blow up Damon's tank in the first mission while still achieving an A-Rank. This unlocks Mission 2
You need to A-Rank Missions 1, 2, and 3 to unlock Mission 4

There we go
Also don't overwrite your main save and keep it as far away as possible lol. The DLC takes place outside of the main game UI.

Spoilers that may be useful, presented per line in varying importance:
You need A-Ranks combined with a hidden requirement to unlock two "hidden" missions
If you don't A-Rank, or fail the hidden requirement, you'll complete missions 1 and 3 by default
The first hidden requirement is to blow up Damon's tank in the first mission while still achieving an A-Rank. This unlocks Mission 2
You need to A-Rank Missions 1, 2, and 3 to unlock Mission 4

There we go
Also don't overwrite your main save and keep it as far away as possible lol. The DLC takes place outside of the main game UI.

wat @ those spoilers

That's devious. Horribly devious.

Nyoro SF

wat @ those spoilers

That's devious. Horribly devious.

Finding a place that explained it properly was very hard. Making the unlocks work that way was really unnecessary from SEGA's end.

However in thinking of a new strategy, I can think of a few ways to make
blowing up his tank easier in the first mission.
I'm actually tempted to try it now, especially since the actual objective is really easy.

Finding a place that explained it properly was very hard. Making the unlocks work that way was really unnecessary from SEGA's end.

However in thinking of a new strategy, I can think of a few ways to make
blowing up his tank easier in the first mission.
I'm actually tempted to try it now, especially since the actual objective is really easy.

The tough part is getting
someone to the back of the general Damon's tank in the corner, lancers would take a while to reach the back and you would have to use your tank to take out the minigun or they would get chewed up. Unless you tried to cheese it and use your tank as cover. There's no way to have Selvaria cross over since the spikes that separate the two groups are indestructible, I'm guessing you can maybe have her go around the bottom though maybe.

It is doable.

Just make use of Orders and remember that it is a multi-turn effort. Just get it done before you slip to B-rank. Both fronts should be advancing at the same time, don't do one at a time and try to cram.

Nyoro SF

The tough part is getting
someone to the back of the general Damon's tank in the corner, lancers would take a while to reach the back and you would have to use your tank to take out the minigun or they would get chewed up. Unless you tried to cheese it and use your tank as cover. There's no way to have Selvaria cross over since the spikes that separate the two groups are indestructible, I'm guessing you can maybe have her go around the bottom though maybe.

Since I posted last I tried my new strategy and it's actually way easier than I thought it would be. So my strategy was rather than
approach from the front of the tank, you can:

0) Use your sniper and kill the enemy sniper standing on top of the tower
1) Take a shocktrooper, kill the shocktrooper standing closest to your base, return shock to base and crouch.
2) Use defense order on a scout on your base, and have him run to the left through the arch and throw a grenade to knock the shocktrooper off the sandbags.
3) Use your sniper to kill the shocktrooper now that he's standing.
4) Use your scout again and run all the way to the lower parapet where there's a single small base and capture it.
5) Next turn (since you're mostly out of AP and you need to use the rest of your CP moving Selvaria and Johann) you just take your scout, run between the towers, up the steps and fire shots into Damon's tank radiator. There are no soldiers to stop you. Damon's tank radiator has pitiful bullet resistance.
6) Since you've completed this hidden requirement in only 2 turns, moving Selvaria and Johann becomes incredibly easy since you don't have to use any more CP on soldiers. You never have to select them ever again since the enemy wastes so much CP calling reinforcements rather than storming your base.

Piece of cake and way easier and 100% more reliable than the method I used the first time. I was thinking to myself "man, there's no way this objective should rely this much on luck" on my first completion :p

I'm glad I took suggestions here and played through every mission blind before attempting A-Ranks. Lot more fun to feel out maps for yourself.

Kinda disappointed that there hasn't been much in the way of patch-support since the one back in November, considering there is still a handful of bugs being reported from time to time.

BTW, where's your avatar from, Nyoro?

Nyoro SF

Kinda disappointed that there hasn't been much in the way of patch-support since the one back in November, considering there is still a handful of bugs being reported from time to time.

Sadly I don't remember where I picked it up from... shit. I just did image searches for "alicia melchiott" and "alicia valkyria chronicles" until I found an image I liked. I'll check again when I get home.

It's funny how this game works... it's almost like Devil May Cry and Dark Souls, games where you start off and feel helpless and bewildered but then you realize on a subsequent retry that the tools you needed to make everything easy was right in front of your face all along.

I aim to retry the Lancer Challenge, because that one gave me a LOT of trouble. I got the A Rank, but I didn't kill the Ace, and I had to do a lot of harrowing strategies with tank rounds whizzing by Alicia's face. There must be an easier way to complete that mission.

Holy crap, Rosie is like a racist Rambo. I can't tell how many times she's taken entire squads on her own just standing there.

Hell on Ch.7 she dodged
Silveria
4 times, two times in a row during one turn.

What a beast.

I came looking for posts like this just now because I just had stupid luck with Chapter 7 as well.

Didn't even have to dodge - I had put Rosie in a trench where the ground was angled such that all the shots hit the ground. Then, all the other enemies ran past and were obligatorily wiped out.

(Of course, then the mission went south and I had to reload. And I needed one too many turns for an A rank because my tank was parked in the wrong place and delayed the enemy patterns for a whole turn.)

I just got this game today and I'm up to chapter 3, and I've got to say that I'm loving the game so far. I had never played something like it and the gameplay got me involved right away, as well as the story.
I just want to keep playing but I'm afraid that it will end to fast, so I'll probably play it slowly to taste it better and not just rush it. I'll comeback with more impressions once I've cleared some more chapters.

P.S: Man, Welkin just rolling into the battlefield on a tank was badass or was it badass?

I just got this game today and I'm up to chapter 3, and I've got to say that I'm loving the game so far. I had never played something like it and the gameplay got me involved right away, as well as the story.
I just want to keep playing but I'm afraid that it will end to fast, so I'll probably play it slowly to taste it better and not just rush it. I'll comeback with more impressions once I've cleared some more chapters.

P.S: Man, Welkin just rolling into the battlefield on a tank was badass or was it badass?

I wouldn't worry about it ending too soon. A basic runthrough could easily clock in at over 20 hours, and that's without any expert mode stuff. That is, unless you're a crazy person skipping the cutscenes or something. There's also a new game plus if you're still hankering for more by the end, though I'm fuzzy on what that entails.

And, yeah, Welkin in the Edelweiss is always stylish and great.

Enjoy the ride, LegionAgent!

Steam clocked me in at around 45 hours of playtime after I finished it, I also completed the Selvaria dlc as well which probably took me around 2-3.

You got a long ways to go Legionagent so don't worry about it ending too quickly.

ezodagrom

According to SteamDB, test branches of VC were updated to a new build back in December, and to a newer build today, so a patch is and has been under testing for the past month or two. Probably just been taking a while due to christmas/new year, I guess.

So, any bets on if we'll see VC2 and/or 3 on PC by the end of 2016?

Got guys saying that it's inevitable with VC's PC sales, but IDK when we're looking at anything from "They had really low expectations" up to "Best selling release in the franchise."

So, any bets on if we'll see VC2 and/or 3 on PC by the end of 2016?

Got guys saying that it's inevitable with VC's PC sales, but IDK when we're looking at anything from "They had really low expectations" up to "Best selling release in the franchise."

I guess time will tell, I was hoping that VC did well enough so we can more Sega games on Steam but who knows. /shrug

Falk

that puzzling face
With the news that SEGA is continuing its structure and moving towards an online/PC growth plan, I think it's actually more likely now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
trying to stream this to my windows tablet, but it just keeps crashing. First I tried setting the resolution to the same as my tablet and it wouldn't even launch. Then I set it to 1080p and it would launch but crash during the opening intro movie. Now it won't even start up.

Seems to work ok on my PC directly - but I want to play it remotely. Other games are fine using home streaming.

Is this a common thing - any solutions?

trying to stream this to my windows tablet, but it just keeps crashing. First I tried setting the resolution to the same as my tablet and it wouldn't even launch. Then I set it to 1080p and it would launch but crash during the opening intro movie. Now it won't even start up.

Seems to work ok on my PC directly - but I want to play it remotely. Other games are fine using home streaming.

Is this a common thing - any solutions?
Might be a connection problem or improper settings on one or both Steam clients.

What's with all the bollocks I see on the Steam forums that VC2 and 3 would be harder to port because they are PSP games? Are people forgetting that VC1 was a PS3 game which is in and of itself a monumental effort to port? You'd have to go out of your way to make porting a PSP game harder than porting a PS3 game.

What's with all the bollocks I see on the Steam forums that VC2 and 3 would be harder to port because they are PSP games? Are people forgetting that VC1 was a PS3 game which is in and of itself a monumental effort to port? You'd have to go out of your way to make porting a PSP game harder than porting a PS3 game.
It's more they would need to do something to bring it up to VC1's visual and audio standards. A straight PSP port would certainly not do well enough to pay for itself, let alone make a profit.

Falk

that puzzling face
I think what Durante suggested works best - bundle 2 and 3 as a "Valkyria Chronicles Gallian Side Stories" or whatever.

Also wouldn't clash with an actual Valkyria Chronicles II (as opposed to 2 and 3 lol) sequel set somewhere else in Europa.

It's more they would need to do something to bring it up to VC1's visual and audio standards. A straight PSP port would certainly not do well enough to pay for itself, let alone make a profit.
Yeah, I'm not sure that Sega would a) like to spend a ton of money remaking VC2/3 assets so they can stand up to being seen at 1080p+ resolution, and b) spend a lot of money to localize VC3. I guess they could pay off the VC3 fan translators for their work and spruce up the translation, but I'm not sure that's an easy legal move.

Yeah, I'm not sure that Sega would a) like to spend a ton of money remaking VC2/3 assets so they can stand up to being seen at 1080p+ resolution, and b) spend a lot of money to localize VC3. I guess they could pay off the VC3 fan translators for their work and spruce up the translation, but I'm not sure that's an easy legal move.

If you're talking 2D assets, as far as I know, they're typically built at higher resolutions anyway and scaled down to work within system limitations (At least on sane development pipelines) - At the very least that was done for VC3's background stills.

If we're talking 3D assets, well, if that somehow becomes a problem-point, then it will only serve the idea that PC gamers are graphics-whores. The most they *need* to be touched up is redoing the LOD'ing so that enemies don't cosplay as characters for a Doom WAD at 5 meters.

Meanwhile, if you don't mind me, I'm going to enjoy some real low-poly goodness in FF7. On my PC.

Top Bottom