• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria of the Blue Revolution trademarked by Sega

VC2's core cast wasn't great, but the overall execution of having a central cast of unique characters with their own backstories is much preferable than VC1's approach, which was only made better in VC3 thanks to the great cast of characters.

Falk

that puzzling face
30% console 30% portable 30% mobile 10% pachinko

Source : my guess

I feel like pachinko can easily exist with any of the other 3, which also have a small chance of coexisting with each other. Assuming a new entry/IP and not a remake.

also FWIW despite my :CCCCCCC posts in this thread, I did enjoy VC2.

Nyoro SF

What are the chances of this being a fully fledged Console game rather than a pachinko cash in?

Are the chances high enough to validate some hype?

48% Mobile, 48% Pachinko, 4% Console
Start tapping those prayer beads together

You'd be a fool, VC2 is really good.

No, he made the right choice. He's not going to miss anything of value. Going straight to 3 should be the advice given to everyone since the story between 2 and 3 aren't linked outside of cameos, and 3 is the ultimately refined version of the PSP series.

Ultimately I'd recommend reading the wiki for VC2, have a good laugh at the "story" and the absolutely pitiful character motivations (people constantly praise this, but it's paper-thin garbage like entering battles to solve someone's boyfriend troubles or so that someone can meet their favorite singer... yeah, great improvements on the story) then move onto 3.

I wouldn't want to inflict VC2's grinding on anyone. I may not like everyone here on GAF, but I've never recommended a terrible game on purpose to anyone to watch them suffer.

VC2's core cast wasn't great, but the overall execution of having a central cast of unique characters with their own backstories is much preferable than VC1's approach, which was only made better in VC3 thanks to the great cast of characters.

The problem with this method is that you end up with character bloat... there's just too many characters to cover, and because you can engage their missions at any time, there's never any possiblity to weave them into the overall story, so the implementation has no overall bearing on the plot. The story is still focused on Avan, Zeri and Cosette only, and in that sense with fewer characters tied into the main plot (not to mention these characters being mostly wastes of space for the majority of the game) there isn't much that can be seen with these awful characters.

Main heroes of VC1 whose plots have bearing on endgame:
Alicia, Welkin, Rosie, Largo, Isara, Varrot, Zaka, Faldio

Main heroes of VC2 whose plots have bearing on endgame:
Avan, Cosette, Zeri, Brixham..... Juliana, kind of...

....the APC driver whose name I've already forgotten, she isn't even treated as a main character in the story. Yeah, it's pretty sadly done.

Rymuth

The cast was serviceable. It's the setting that bogged it down.

For someone with an Alicia avatar, you seem to be extremely pessemistic about Valkyria Chronicles, Nyoro.

SEGA is still very much about their tent-pole franchises - like mentioned earlier in this thread - I think that if you combine the naming style with their recent-ish statements on taking the Atlus stance on quality, you'd be more optimistic.

I'm not saying that you should go hyping yourself up yet, but wait until we see something before saying SEGA is going F2P/Mobile/Pachislot/Whatever with the series.

From what I know - which admittedly isn't much - there's a 50/50 chance it's a console game, IMO.

Chariot

The cast was serviceable. It's the setting that bogged it down.
You can work with the setting. Military academy with real future soldiers oppsed to the milita. You coud line out how the VC2 characters have better unstanding of military theory, but lack experience and practical knowledge that comes with age.

The problem was that the cast wasn't really fleshed out and there was too much focus on whimsical school stuff. Would be fine in the beginning to show off how green they are, but it dragged on too long and too much.

Nyoro SF

Basing the game on a more realistic military school with some fun, jokey elements would've made the story way better. But it was selling to otakus primarily so that really couldn't happen sadly.

I want a story segment where Avan has to get up at 5:30AM for a marching session and then starts sleepwalking and falls into a mud pit, or Cosette fails a boot camp training course by tripping over a tire and has to be carried through to the end by her instructor.

For someone with an Alicia avatar, you seem to be extremely pessemistic about Valkyria Chronicles, Nyoro.

SEGA is still very much about their tent-pole franchises - like mentioned earlier in this thread - I think that if you combine the naming style with their recent-ish statements on taking the Atlus stance on quality, you'd be more optimistic.

I'm not saying that you should go hyping yourself up yet, but wait until we see something before saying SEGA is going F2P/Mobile/Pachislot/Whatever with the series.

From what I know - which admittedly isn't much - there's a 50/50 chance it's a console game, IMO.

Hey, I look at it this way. Even if Sega decides to completely drop this series in the shitter; aka just make VC2 again and put it on mobile and monetize the hell out of it with gachas or bypass-grinding microtransactions (that people are advocating for; I will never understand this current generation of gamers begging to be exploited) I still got two great games out of this series. VC1 is an excellent game, and VC3 is a good game, and that won't change no matter what Sega does. Many game series never got a chance of realizing their full potential, much less getting two great games out of the deal.

So no worries. Plus, Alicia
got her happy ending, so it's all gravy. Gravy on bread.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yeah, but what goes on in a lot of these threads is the equivalent people ranting at the top of their lungs that they know they're gonna get rat droppings in their coffee at Starbucks because a few weeks ago their table had a cockroach at McDonald's. If people can't be bothered to at least look at what Sega's actual lineup is and construct a doom scenario that's a plausible extension of that then they're just shouting nonsense into the void.

This is true. I see a lot of Japanese companies targeting console demographics nowadays, especially SE. Konami backed out now so.... Yeah.

Though does the "lol SE doom and gloom, mobile only" still appear a lot?

Walpurgis

Banned
Yeah, did the same to me, but they completely redeemed themselves for me with 3, which I found struck a great balance.
201211_ValkyriaChronicles3.jpg

Wow. That looks great compared to 2. In fact, I like it even better than 1. More interesting character designs.

Chariot

Wow. That looks great compared to 2. In fact, I like it even better than 1. Much more interesting character designs.
They're interesting characters too. That's a bunch of misfits that got thrown out of their regular regiments for various reasons. They are some kind of suicide squad at the same time VC1 is set.

They're interesting characters too. That's a bunch of misfits that got thrown out of their regular regiments for various reasons. They are some kind of suicide squad at the same time VC1 is set.

They're interesting because they're all actual characters and not just templates.

Granted, some of them are still plenty tropey, but the interactions between them makes up for it.

No, he made the right choice. He's not going to miss anything of value. Going straight to 3 should be the advice given to everyone since the story between 2 and 3 aren't linked outside of cameos, and 3 is the ultimately refined version of the PSP series.

Ultimately I'd recommend reading the wiki for VC2, have a good laugh at the "story" and the absolutely pitiful character motivations (people constantly praise this, but it's paper-thin garbage like entering battles to solve someone's boyfriend troubles or so that someone can meet their favorite singer... yeah, great improvements on the story) then move onto 3.

From your description of the story I definitely need to give it a miss, the plot and art style were why I enjoyed Valkyria so much - it was a real breath of fresh air compared to everything else on the market.

I've certainly been considering playing 3 for a while now, and seeing that image Mr Nice Guy posted earlier I really like the character designs. It's just being on the PSP is a sticking point - having to go through the hassle of importing a copy, ripping it from my (barely functioning) 1000, patching, transferring to my Go and then having to play without two analog sticks. The hope of a Steam remaster or Vita port seems to be getting smaller every day though.

Astery

3 is so goooood, even with the gimped gameplay of small, disconnected maps. It's a travesty that so many don't get to play it

the crappy tiny corridor maps sectors really killed the game for me despite I really wanted to like it, given 3 is the setting I like best.

petran79

Banned
Too bad that the anime TV series missed the opportunity to be something good, even with its own story. Only the opening and first ending were decent.

Compared to Sakura Taisen TV that added its own unique story after the second half and had relatively very good standards.

It really shows the difference in care between the 90s and today

Wow. That looks great compared to 2. In fact, I like it even better than 1. More interesting character designs.

Agreed, and they are the "rag tag" group in the army. The convicts and screw ups that they send on all the suicide missions, so it allows for a more diverse cast visually and character wise, and fun gameplay scenarios.

3 is so goooood, even with the gimped gameplay of small, disconnected maps. It's a travesty that so many don't get to play it

Yeah compared to 1 I agree, but I felt it was a step up compared to 2 in that regard so it didn't feel as bad to me.

I wish more people could play this. Given what you need to do to patch it, the translation team couldn't have made it easier, but that's still more than the average person would want to do to play it I know.

Call me a believer. The hype is spreading.

That and, PGW is next week, and Valkyria Chronicles was just on sale on Humble Store the past few days.

kswiston

People completely writing off a non-mobile Valkyria Chronicles, are you aware that the PC release of the first game on Steam sold 500k copies this past year?

That may have been enough to make Sega reconsider their stance on the series.

At the very least, I think a console/PC release is much much more likely than another portable release. VITA is dead and 3DS is on life support in the west.

Aki-at

I honestly do not get why people are expecting a mid tier (if even that in Japan) franchise exploited by SEGA as a pachislot/pachinko game. Mobile sure, that's a realistic case but the gambling machines? Highly unlikely considering the franchise and much bigger franchises SEGA owns that Sammy can borrow to produce their latest machines with.

I honestly do not get why people are expecting a mid tier (if even that in Japan) franchise exploited by SEGA as a pachislot/pachinko game. Mobile sure, that's a realistic case but the gambling machines? Highly unlikely considering the franchise and much bigger franchises SEGA owns that Sammy can borrow to produce their latest machines with.
I think it's because of stuff that doesn't seem like it would be popular in Japan like Silent Hill getting pachinko machines.

That said, just about anything would be a better fit for pachinko, but from our western perspective, 75+% of the decisions made by Japanese media execs are dumb/insane/counterproductive in the long term, so the cynicism is pretty comprehensible.

Nekofrog

Banned
To be fair, VC's insistence on making military duty uniforms have skirts was always super dumb.

dumb, but not insulting. they're still wearing pants. their boots are boots.

with each installment of the series, the female outfits got worse and worse.

garter stockings, high heels, skirts in the third one. sheesh.

People completely writing off a non-mobile Valkyria Chronicles, are you aware that the PC release of the first game on Steam sold 500k copies this past year?

At the very least, I think a console/PC release is much much more likely than another portable release. VITA is dead and 3DS is on life support in the west.

Did it really? I knew it sold well but damn.

dumb, but not insulting. they're still wearing pants. their boots are boots.

with each installment of the series, the female outfits got worse and worse.

garter stockings, high heels, skirts in the third one. sheesh.
I figure that as it became more apparent the franchise was sliding into irrelevancy/niche status, they loosened the restrictions on the character designs in the hopes that people would waifu the shit out of at one of the new characters.

Too bad Selvaria is apparently the only VC girl to have any real traction.

Shenmue

Banned
I wonder if this could refer to Selvaria? I mean she's a pretty popular character from VC (I'd say the most popular). Also she had DLC titled "Behind her Blue Flame".

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

The west? You mean everyone Sega disregarded when developing VC2 and 3?

Maybe after the PC port they realized they completely screwed up with their handling of the IP and want to try again. Would be a nice addition to the surprisingly good support for PS4 (and to a much lesser extent, PC) from Japan.

I wonder if this could refer to Selvaria? I mean she's a pretty popular character from VC (I'd say the most popular). Also she had DLC titled "Behind her Blue Flame".

If we're thinking of a full console game, I'd say - based on the name - it could do with the Darcsens and Valkyria and their war.

It could also be a group of freedom fighters who use the power of a valkyria to fight back against a corrupt government. (Or something to that effect)

I'm not sure how the former would work but the latter would be interesting.

(Shit, the hype is getting to me)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
VC3 is the best VC game. It is a real shame it wasn't on consoles because the hardware is the only thing inferior to VC1.

If we're thinking of a full console game, I'd say - based on the name - it could do with the Darcsens and Valkyria and their war.

It could also be a group of freedom fighters who use the power of a valkyria to fight back against a corrupt government. (Or something to that effect)

referring to the valkyria/darcsen seems plausible, but it also doesnt seem nearly as fun. Some lore spoilers
you either play as the darcsens and lose in the end, or play as the valkyria, be a bunch of assholes, and probably only get to play as mooks most of the time because a full squad of valkyria would either be broken, or ruin their lore

Too bad that the anime TV series missed the opportunity to be something good, even with its own story. Only the opening and first ending were decent.

Compared to Sakura Taisen TV that added its own unique story after the second half and had relatively very good standards.

It really shows the difference in care between the 90s and today
Now this I agree with. The writing of the VC anime makes VC2 look like an award winning story. I'm watching it at the moment and damn...so much wasted potential. What they turned Alicia into was just uncalled for, LOL. And Faldio too.

Still love VC2. I liked its silliness. Its lightheartedness was endearing to me. But if you think VC2 had too much of it, stay far away from the VC anime. It will make you rage.

referring to the valkyria/darcsen seems plausible, but it also doesnt seem nearly as fun. Some lore spoilers
you either play as the darcsens and lose in the end, or play as the valkyria, be a bunch of assholes, and probably only get to play as mooks most of the time because a full squad of valkyria would either be broken, or ruin their lore

Not really, remember only the women have the super hero power. Males are probably like the average human with silver hair

Now this I agree with. The writing of the VC anime makes VC2 look like an award winning story. I'm watching it at the moment and damn...so much wasted potential. What they turned Alicia into was just uncalled for, LOL. And Faldio too.

Still love VC2. I liked its silliness. Its lightheartedness was endearing to me. But if you think VC2 had too much of it, stay far away from the VC anime. It will make you rage.

The main thing I always remember about the anime was the redundant original character working under Faldio who existed simply to undergo the same basic development Rosie has with Isara, except you know, it's a guy this time so ooohhh potential for crummy romance this time.

*Later anime spoilers?*
Fortunately he gets blown to bits if I recall.

The main thing I always remember about the anime was the redundant original character working under Faldio who existed simply to undergo the same basic development Rosie has with Isara, except you know, it's a guy this time so ooohhh potential for crummy romance this time.

*Later anime spoilers?*
Fortunately he gets blown to bits if I recall.
Yeah, Lamar exists to give Isara her own contrived romance plot like Alicia/Faldio. Yay! It didn't help that Isara's face looked really creepy in the anime, too.

I didn't mind Lamar too much though. A short little shocktrooper with a boy crush on Faldio haha. I mainly remember him becuase I was mad they took him out as a password character from VC2.

I rage quit watching the anime around episode 6 or so. F-Zero Edelweiss, Welkin being a total dumbass and Alicia being turned into an angry psychopath was too much to bear.

Also this:

Chariot

I rage quit watching the anime around episode 6 or so. F-Zero Edelweiss, Welkin being a total dumbass and Alicia being turned into an angry psychopath was too much to bear.

Also this:
I love how in Susies text even the bad english stops and turns into kauderwelsch.

Shenmue

Banned

Ahhhh me too! I'm going to go replay the series!

Yeah, Lamar exists to give Isara her own contrived romance plot like Alicia/Faldio. Yay! It didn't help that Isara's face looked really creepy in the anime, too.

I didn't mind Lamar too much though. A short little shocktrooper with a boy crush on Faldio haha. I mainly remember him becuase I was mad they took him out as a password character from VC2.

Everything done with VC1 characters past the game looks really creepy as if they're trying to wreck things.

Ahhhh me too! I'm going to go replay the series!

I will likely do this too - I still haven't replayed it fully on PC.

I just hope that if it's a console game it follows in the footsteps of VC1 and 3 rather than 2. (Darker, More Focused Storyline with Quality characters and a good amount of content)

Spaghetti

i'm going to hope for the best but expect the worst.

sega aren't dumb though. VC on pc sold well and got met with critical acclaim, that's got to mean something when they consider the future of the series.

Top Bottom