• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria of the Blue Revolution trademarked by Sega

I rage quit watching the anime around episode 6 or so. F-Zero Edelweiss, Welkin being a total dumbass and Alicia being turned into an angry psychopath was too much to bear.

Also this:
What did they do to Ted in that pic? LOL

And yeah, they really messed up with the story. They turned a reasonably mature war anime with a dose of romance into a bad high school tsundere/moe anime. Aka the worst kind of anime.

BTW, anyone know if the OVA for VC3 good? I wanna watch it but I havent played VC3 yet. Are there spoilers in it? SHould I wait til I beat the game to watch the OVAs?

i'm going to hope for the best but expect the worst.

sega aren't dumb though. VC on pc sold well and got met with critical acclaim, that's got to mean something when they consider the future of the series.

My hopes exactly. I'll dream big, and hope for the best with the expectation that they aren't THAT stupid.

Please don't prove me wrong, SEGA.

PS: You could just hand it to Atlus and let them work their magic too. That would work.

Nyoro SF

Everything done with VC1 characters looks really creepy as if they're trying to wreck things.

Yeah the moment the Selvaria DLC released for VC1 everything started going complete haywire (Selvaria is now a mother complex target and boob jokes...). My guess is they thought they could shore up failing sales and support by appealing to the full anime crowd. Either that, or they just simply stopped giving a fuck once they realized that barely anyone bought the game.

Lots of gross and awful choices made to established characters not just in the games and anime but in the marketing.

I haven't watched the anime yet because everyone has warned me not to. However the term "F-Zero Edelweiss" sounds pretty funny, lol

Spaghetti

My hopes exactly. I'll dream big, and hope for the best with the expectation that they aren't THAT stupid.

Please don't prove me wrong, SEGA.

PS: You could just hand it to Atlus and let them work their magic too. That would work.
sega does occasionally make smart moves. binary domain and VC on pc are great examples of surprise moves that worked out generally well (binary domain needs more love though, but it's sort of a cult classic on pc right now).

we'll see what the next few weeks and months bring. we'll either hear something at paris, at PSX, or a press release will just turn up at random as is the current sega way.

sega does occasionally make smart moves. binary domain and VC on pc are great examples of surprise moves that worked out generally well (binary domain needs more love though, but it's sort of a cult classic on pc right now).

we'll see what the next few weeks and months bring. we'll either hear something at paris, at PSX, or a press release will just turn up at random as is the current sega way.

Uh, Binary Domain came out on PC like a month after the console release. Not exactly a surprise move.

Shenmue

Banned
i'm going to hope for the best but expect the worst.

sega aren't dumb though. VC on pc sold well and got met with critical acclaim, that's got to mean something when they consider the future of the series.

I think it'll depend on what matters more to Sega. Critical acclaim and no microtransactions or no critical acclaim but gacha microtransactions to the high heavens!

Spaghetti

Uh, Binary Domain came out on PC like a month after the console release. Not exactly a surprise move.
there was no indication of a pc release before it appeared on steam, nor was there a tremendous amount of demand for it. at least, that's my recollection of it.

I honestly do not get why people are expecting a mid tier (if even that in Japan) franchise exploited by SEGA as a pachislot/pachinko game.

In these threads it often feels like people look at Konami (a company that has actually made a conscious and comprehensive decision to get out of traditional video games) and try to apply the stuff they do to totally different publishers. I think looking into things like what Sega's actual mobile lineup looks like would be more productive for posters in these threads than knee-jerk mobile hate, generally.

Veal

There were no plans for a PC release, a month after launch they announce a PC version.

It was a surprise.
You just reminded me, in going to play the fuck out of binary domain with the steam controller when it comes in. Such a good game.

Shahed

In these threads it often feels like people look at Konami (a company that has actually made a conscious and comprehensive decision to get out of traditional video games) and try to apply the stuff they do to totally different publishers. I think looking into things like what Sega's actual mobile lineup looks like would be more productive for posters in these threads than knee-jerk mobile hate, generally.
I wouldn't call it mobile hate. Just pessimism and a desire not to get excited for something only to be burned afterwards. People have just lost belief or interest.

Coxy

VC1 Spoilers:
In VC1 Radi Jaeger said he was going back to his homeland of Fhirald and trying to rebuild it

VC3 Spoilers:
In the Radi Jaeger DLC and in the story of another character from Fhirald it's hinted that a rebellion is about to happen there

So I think it's very likely to about a Fhirald Rebellion

I think they're going to just title the main series Valkyria of the __________ from now on and have this as the real sequel with VC2/3 being essentially subsequels and avoid the problems of this being "Valkyria 4"

Squire

Banned
I wouldn't call it mobile hate. Just pessimism and a desire not to get excited for something only to be burned afterwards. People have just lost belief or interest.

That's what it is like 90% of the time though. There's a drive-by post about it being a card game right under Charlequin's last post even.

Wonko_C

VC1 Spoilers:
In VC1 Radi Jaeger said he was going back to his homeland of Fhirald and trying to rebuild it

VC3 Spoilers:
In the Radi Jaeger DLC and in the story of another character from Fhirald it's hinted that a rebellion is about to happen there

I think they're going to just title the main series Valkyria of the __________ from now on and have this as the real sequel with VC2/3 being essentially subsequels and avoid the problems of this being "Valkyria 4"

The Japanese title of the original games uses that convention (Valkyria of the Battlefield) so you might be onto something here.

Shahed

That's what it is like 90% of the time though. There's a drive-by post about it being a card game right under Charlequin's last post even.

That's not the same thing though. Yes that was a bit drive by. But if people expect a mobile game and say something like the think it's gonna be a card game, pachislot, browser or whatever that's not necessarily hate. That's more disillusionment and the expectation they aren't going to get what they want or a bit of a joke. Now if they said something like "it's going to be a piece of shit mobile and Sega are going to fuck up the series some more", that's different since that is hate.

One is trashing things they don't want or are unfamiliar with. The other is pessimism and a desire not to get their hopes up only for them to be dashed. There's a difference

Chariot

VC1 Spoilers:

VC3 Spoilers:

The Japanese title of the original games uses that convention (Valkyria of the Battlefield) so you might be onto something here.
I can dig that. I hope you're right.

Squire

Banned
That's not the same thing though. Yes that was a bit drive by. But if people expect a mobile game and say something like the think it's gonna be a card game, pachislot, browser or whatever that's not necessarily hate. That's more disillusionment and the expectation they aren't going to get what they want or a bit of a joke. Now if they said something like "it's going to be a piece of shit mobile and Sega are going to fuck up the series some more", that's different since that is hate.

One is trashing things they don't want or are unfamiliar with. The other is pessimism and a desire not to get their hopes up only for them to be dashed. There's a difference

It's not very big though. Doesn't dilute Charlequin's point either. It's the difference between yelling and pouting. There are simply more valuable, productive ways to contribute to these discussions.

I bet the US title (if it ever gets localized) will be something like Valkyria Chronicles: The Blue Revolution for continuity of marketing.

I bet the US title (if it ever gets localized) will be something like Valkyria Chronicles: The Blue Revolution for continuity of marketing.

Why wouldn't it get localized? I'm pretty sure the PC release of VC1 alone outsold the Japanese sales of VC2 and 3.

But yeah, I'm in the "No more numbers" camp, especially on localization terms.

I'm sure Sega knows that numbered sequels to VC leave a... Sour taste in peoples mouths in the west. In between VC2 being awful and VC3 not even getting localized.

That and, releasing anything called "Valkyria Chronicles 4" would lead to people asking questions like 'Where's VC3?" again. And I'm sure Sega isn't interested in localizing or porting that at this point.

Chariot

Then again, people managed to get into a lot of numbered games lately without bothering with the predecessors. Witcher 3, MGS V (I know it's not "5", but come one, most people thought it was), Final Fantasy, Saint's Row 3, etc.

Squire

Banned
Then again, people managed to get into a lot of numbered games lately without bothering with the predecessors. Witcher 3, MGS V (I know it's not "5", but come one, most people thought it was), Final Fantasy, Saint's Row 3, etc.

AAA games can do that though. VC is gorgeous and fun and could probably be big (well, bigger) with savvy marketing behind it, especially in the steaming era. But it's never going to overcome bring a numbered sequel with the relative ease of those games. Especially if the number is 4.

Alright, how many of those IPs have a rocky and less than stellar record when it comes to their numbered sequels? The only Witcher game not on consoles is the first one, Metal Gear's low point was "too many cutscenes", Final Fantasy's localized releases got the numbering right because Sony wanted to stick it to Nintendo.

And uh, Saints Row is a franchise zombie, I don't know why you listed that.

Point being, people have good memories of those IPs beyond the first one they played.

Valkyria Chronicles, on the other hand, people really only liked the first one. The second one was Objectively Bad, and the majority can't form an opinion on the third one because Sega refuses to localize it. So that's a 33% rate of games in the series that are liked by the majority, with the missing 66% counting for VC games that had a number in their name.

Compare, say, 100% for The Witcher, 80% for Metal Gear, 85~% for Final Fantasy.

This isn't a matter of people being intimidated by a high number and thinking they need to try out 1, 2, and 3. This is a matter of 2 and 3 being tainted numbers that Sega or the fans won't be wanting any reminders of hanging around.

EDIT:

For further proof, the VC forum on Sega's website purged all the VC2 related stickies when the PC release of VC1 came out, leaving only the old VC1 stickies and the new ones about the PC release. Along with reverting to the original VC1 background image for the forum. As far as I'm concerned, Sega is shoving VC2 down the memory hole.

fertygo

AAA games can do that though. VC is gorgeous and fun and could probably be big (well, bigger) with savvy marketing behind it, especially in the steaming era. But it's never going to overcome bring a numbered sequel with the relative ease of those games. Especially if the number is 4.

Don't know, persona series manage to get localization success despite they might as well not count some of previous entry before.

In the end if the new game is there the audience is the one that savvy enough to know about this.

Don't know, persona series manage to get localization success despite they might as well not count some of previous entry before.

In the end if the new game is there the audience is the one that savvy enough to know about this.

But only one Persona game got skipped for localization (Innocent Sin), and most people didn't even know that one existed until the PSP port got localized. The other half of Persona 2 made it west, and up until P2ISpsp, few knew any better.

You sure you aren't thinking of Shin Megami Tensei? And even then, Nocturne purged the "III" from its name in the localized release.

Squire

Banned

Eh, Persona's a pretty bad comparison, I think.

The games pretty much all got localized and apparently sold well enough to justify that. P4 didn't spike the series popularity at launch anyway. It was great to the few people that played it and established a legacy. When the the Vita re-release came around, it sold pretty well. For a Vita game. For a variety of factors other than it being a good game, too. (Anecdotally, I bought it chiefly because o hadn't bought a Vita game in months at that that point.)

Edit: And the problem with just relying on the audience that's savvy enough to know, in the case of VC, is that's apparently not a large enough amount of people to justify continued production of these games.

That's just me hedging my bets against Sega Japan being stupid.

Well, not localizing would be especially stupid, since Senjo No Valkyria has burnt all of its brand equity in Japan and faded out of what measure of relevance it had there.

As far as I can tell, making a new full Valkyria game at this point would only be worth the opportunity cost if it got localized. And of course, released on Steam. I'm pretty sure that VC1 on Steam is the best selling release in the series.

Also, to those out there who are going to say this: STOP saying VC1 sold over a million on PS3. Those are Chaaaaaartzzzzzzzzz numbers if I ever saw them. Maybe VC1 has a million sales NOW thanks to Steam, but NOT on PS3. Following the "1/5th of what Chaaartzzzzz says" rule, that would put VC1's sales in the 700k range (500k PC, 200k PS3).

Falk

that puzzling face
VC1 Spoilers:

VC3 Spoilers:

You're making me get hyped.

Words can't describe how much I hate you right now.

Yeah, I think at this point it's pretty well proven that nobody's going to be hesitant to buy your numbered sequel because they haven't played the earlier games. Many series didn't get really big until the second or third numbered sequel. That said, it's also relatively common to stop numbering sequels after the third or fourth game, which I'm sure there's some marketing-related reason for.

And yeah, as CertifiedFP said VC2 not being received very well and VC3 not even being localized are strong reasons for Sega to not put a 4 on the next main line entry. May as well start fresh and treat the next one as sort of a reboot.

This just occurred to me but... what if this isn't a sequel?

What if it's a reboot?

If we extrapolate on CertifiedFP's idea of...
... since Senjo No Valkyria has burnt all of its brand equity in Japan and faded out of what measure of relevance it had there.
... the logical conclusion would be that Valkyria Chronicles (as a brand/series) is in the perfect place it needs to be for a reboot.

If we look at where it is now:
  • The original Valkyria Chronicles (2008) still retains a cult following, which likely contributed to its "phenomenally successful" PC launch in 2014.
  • SEGA itself is also now in a stronger position than it was in the past. With SEGA having purchased ATLUS, as well as having gone through a restructuring period at the beginning of the year, they're now ready to ramp production back up again. (According to reports and rumors)
  • SEGA has acknowledged its failings and is now aiming to "regain trust from players" after learning from Atlus. (Source)
  • With the release of the next generation of consoles like the PS4, there's now room for a graphical improvement that would have been impossible on PS3 or PSVita. (The release of the original on PC also breaks down graphical barriers.)
Other things to note include:
  • The bad memories of Valkyria Chronicles 2 and the non-release of Valkyria Chronicles 3 in the west would likely benefit a reboot of the series more than a sequel in the same continuity.
  • I Remember reading in an interview somewhere - It may have been online, or may have been in one of the 3 artbooks I own - that they were not planning on bringing Valkyria Chronicles back to Console "Until there was something new they could do on it that wouldn't be possible on a portable console." This may be a misquote of what I remember reading, but I believe it was something to that effect. (I'll update if I find the exact phrasing) Regardless, this is now possible with the release of the PS4 and PC.
I know very well that I may be dreaming too big here, and I may be let down - but I can't help it. Valkyria Chronicles was - and still is - a masterpiece in my eyes. The visuals, characters, gameplay, and story all merged to become something amazing, and I'd give almost anything to see them create a worthy successor, of which there hasn't been any yet.

Edit: Just noticed I was ninja'd by a minute. pffff

Yes that was a bit drive by. But if people expect a mobile game and say something like the think it's gonna be a card game, pachislot, browser or whatever that's not necessarily hate.

Imagine the same kind of post about how an entry in a JRPG series is going to be a macho muscle military shooter because it's being released on the Xbox.

This just occurred to me but... what if this isn't a sequel?

What if it's a reboot?
Well, you can do a sequel that's a soft reboot by just ignoring everything VC2 and 3. Rebooting the whole franchise now seems like a bad move, since the first game was just rereleased, unless they do a totally different story with different characters, which might as well be labelled a sequel.

Well, you can do a sequel that's a soft reboot by just ignoring everything VC2 and 3. Rebooting the whole franchise now seems like a bad move, since the first game was just rereleased, unless they do a totally different story with different characters, which might as well be labelled a sequel.

The trilogy has centered around a single country and two different conflicts (the war with the Empire & the civil war). It's very easy for the franchise to easily abandon 2/3 by simply migrating the story over to a different continent/country.

The trilogy has centered around a single country and two different conflicts (the war with the Empire & the civil war). It's very easy for the franchise to easily abandon 2/3 by simply migrating the story over to a different continent/country.
Oh yeah, that's the easy way to do the soft reboot sequel. If you go full reboot, not being in Gallia with the VC1 cast is kind of awkward, since reboots tend to rethread/reuse a lot of the material from the originals.

That's just the crazy English localization. Welkin doesn't talk to the fish in the Japanese dub.
To be fair, it does make his character more consistent, and from what I hear about the changes for Alicia's dialogue, the changes were probably all for the better anyway.

Spaghetti

the more i read in here, the more i think it might actually be a legit fully fledged VC sequel on PC/console.

i'm not the only one, right?

F-Zero Edelweiss

While I don't remember the frame by frame of that episode, I hate to break it to you, but it's not so much that the anime Edelweiss was acting like an F-Zero racer, moreso that the ingame Edelweiss was a piece of junk that wouldn't last five minutes in a real warzone.

This is how fast real tanks go. And that about matches with how fast I remember the Edelweiss moving in the anime. And I don't think that's the Abrams' top speed either.

Anyway, I swear, if a new VC gets announced at Sony's PGW as an Exclusive, then I might abandon all hope harder than if it was a Mobile game. Hell, if it's Pachislot, then it might finally be the push I need to see why people play Pachinko. But I didn't support the PC release of VC1 just for future games to get moneyhatted just as I'm shedding consoles in favor of PC for the first time in decades.

Videoneon

dumb, but not insulting. they're still wearing pants. their boots are boots.

with each installment of the series, the female outfits got worse and worse.

garter stockings, high heels, skirts in the third one. sheesh.

Yeah the designs add dumber stuff over time and I hate it.

Too bad that the anime TV series missed the opportunity to be something good, even with its own story. Only the opening and first ending were decent.

Compared to Sakura Taisen TV that added its own unique story after the second half and had relatively very good standards.

It really shows the difference in care between the 90s and today

I've seen a lot of episodes of the Sakura Wars anime, it's actually not that bad! Not as bad as I was expecting. I would think even the Valkyria Chronicles 1 anime had more fanservice in it. It's kind of a serviceable action anime. It immediately reminds me of other shows of its time.

Compared to the few episodes of the VC1 anime I've seen which just pissed me off.

Anyway I have no idea what this is supposed to be so I while I certainly love to speculate, it's not clear at all to me where this is going.

Anyway, I swear, if a new VC gets announced at Sony's PGW as an Exclusive, then I might abandon all hope harder than if it was a Mobile game. Hell, if it's Pachislot, then it might finally be the push I need to see why people play Pachinko. But I didn't support the PC release of VC1 just for future games to get moneyhatted just as I'm shedding consoles in favor of PC for the first time in decades.

lol

...You can't really mean this, right? You'd prefer this be a crappy mobile game or packinko machine than a full-fledged PS4 console game just because you don't own a PS4?

That's just... insanity.

Spaghetti

While I don't remember the frame by frame of that episode, I hate to break it to you, but it's not so much that the anime Edelweiss was acting like an F-Zero racer, moreso that the ingame Edelweiss was a piece of junk that wouldn't last five minutes in a real warzone.

This is how fast real tanks go. And that about matches with how fast I remember the Edelweiss moving in the anime. And I don't think that's the Abrams' top speed either.

it's highly unlikely if this is announced at PGW or PSX that it will be 100% exclusive to PS systems only. sony is more than happy to share with PC, and sega has a significant stake in the PC market right now.

Top Bottom