• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie Profile - The Accused One announced for DS!

batbeg

Weird, I'm looking at a different scan to you guys I think?. There may be feathers/wings, it's hard to tell, but definitely no character portrait. Do you also see the picture of Lenneth looking at Wilfred (CG, not sure if Wilfred). There's character art on the left for the main characters as well.

Mejilan said:
That's the one I'm talking about, ethel. Though looking at it now, I'm not so sure it's either ruins or a dungeon. I see chairs or some such lined up along the far wall. Looks like a training room within a fort or barracks or some such.

DEFINITELY different.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
That's the one I'm talking about, ethel. Though looking at it now, I'm not so sure it's either ruins or a dungeon. I see chairs or some such lined up along the far wall. Looks like a training room within a fort or barracks or some such.

el Diablo

Banned
Mejilan said:
Completely retarded. One play games, not consoles. But whatever.

How is it retarded? Yeah you play games not consoles but if you want me to be frank, i find gameplay using the touch screen to be an annoyance. EVERY game i've tried on the DS made me use the touch screen and i hated having to use it. Me not being able to get into any games on the DS is no different than someone not being able to get into a game because of a bad control scheme. Spare me your holier than thou BS.

Id.

el Diablo said:
How is it retarded? Yeah you play games not consoles but if you want me to be frank, i find gameplay using the touch screen to be an annoyance. EVERY game i've tried on the DS made me use the touch screen and i hated having to use it. Me not being able to get into any games on the DS is no different than someone not being able to get into a game because of a bad control scheme. Spare me your holier than thou BS.

Really? Every single game you've tried on the DS makes you use the touch screen?

Obviously you haven't played the ones that, oh I don't know, don't make you use the touch screen?

Mejilan

el Diablo said:

No holier than thou BS. The only BS here is your's, buddy. I own BY FAR more "traditional" games for my DS than the non-traditional stuff. And most of those implemented optional touch controls... if any at all.

Hell, I have more "traditional" playing DS games than my entire PSP library (which is approaching 50 titles). Get real.

And if ANYTHING is going to be a kick ass, "traditional" RPG experience on the DS, it's likely to be a Tri-Ace developed Valkyrie Profile! Admittedly, we know next to nothing about the game. But you're fucking writing it off because of the platform, basically, and THAT'S the crux of my "play games, not consoles" comment.

batbeg

I found the other picture you guys were looking at, that definitely doesn't scream "dungeon" to me. As I said, though, on the actual scanned page there's a shot which definitely looks like the traditional profile view. This just looks more like a normal portrait view conversation with a background to me, though the archway does suggest it could be a dungeon.

This will be so much easier when we have some official pictures to work on :lol

Mejilan

Yeah, as I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if the top screen has the isometric conversation view, and the bottom screen relevant portrait closeups (with appropriate 2D background backdrops)...

Either way, I'm definitely excited to see more!! :D

sennin

First, I honestly hope this isn't Japan's idea of an early April's Fool joke for 2008. :lol

Next, I'm cautiously optimistic, given Tri-Ace's perchance with Deus Ex Machina in their stories (See: Star Ocean 3, Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria). I also hope if this passes the first test (well... even if Tri-Ace wants to screw around with the stories, at least their games have a complex combat system.. and they look incredibly good!), please do not bundle a Limited Edition with a DS. 3 simple bonuses for fans:

Hardcover artbook
OST
Figure

There! I'd pay ¥8 000 for this, cool? Please do not make me pay ¥20 000 for another DS Lite with a cheap VP symbol engraved. Actually, you can do that, as long as my ¥8 000 VP DS is an option.

king zell

March 13, 2008 - Valkyrie Profile appears to be the next major franchise to jump ship to Nintendo. A few leaked scans from the upcoming issue of Japan's Jump comic magazine indicate that, following recent entries on the PlayStation 2 and PSP, the series is on the way to the DS through Valkyrie Profile: Toga wo Seou Mono.

Said to be the third entry in the series, Toga will feature a new hero, Wilfred, along with classic characters like Lenneth. The game appears to utilize an isometric perspective, with sprite-based characters controlled over three-fourths view play field. This would definitely be a change of pace for the series. Developer Tri-ace is once again handling development, with Square Enix, of course, publishing.

Once games are revealed in Jump, they're usually given a more open announcement within one or two weeks. Expect to hear lots more on the next entry in one of Square Enix's most critically acclaimed series shortly.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/859/859321p1.html

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Finally a full scan surfaces! The art looks great, but the only 2 in-game shots on it have already been leaked.

batbeg

I have the worst luck ever, I've been searching for the full scan and it finally gets posted and my internet does this stupid thing where it refuses to load the picture :(

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
traveler said:
Wait- this is an SRPG? I don't give a crap about VP, but if it's an SRPG- :D
nowhere the scans says simulation rpg (srpg), it just says RPG.

Error

nop, it just talks about the story.

I guess the game famitsu was hyping that's gonna be in a DVD or something, could be this one.

Error

did they really? I mean, with BD+ it said Real Time Simulation RPG

well, at least it's not think and feel :p

i've seen several people say that vp:l is inferior to the ps ver. can anyone explain what is wrong with it? i was thinking about picking it up.

Mejilan

WickedLaharl said:
i've seen several people say that vp:l is inferior to the ps ver. can anyone explain what is wrong with it? i was thinking about picking it up.

For one, it's a port of the JP PSOne original, and does not feature the bug fixes, improvements, and interface upgrades introduced in the US PSOne version. Some people didn't dig the fact that they scrapped the PSOne's anime cutscenes in favor of the new CGI ones. Without custom firmware, you're looking at significantly increased load times, even when popping in and out of your inventory and other menus. Again, without custom firmware, you're going to experience a game that runs quite a bit choppier and framier than it ever was.

It's a fantastic game and essentially gave people another shot with it (since the PSOne version had such a tiny print run here in the US and goes on eBay for ridiculous amounts of money), but it wasn't exactly an amazing port job. I had an awesome time completing, but now that it's possible to rip the original PSOne disc and play it on the PSP, that's probably how I'm going to go about replaying it as a portable game, when the time comes.

Mejilan said:
For one, it's a port of the JP PSOne original, and does not feature the bug fixes, improvements, and interface upgrades introduced in the US PSOne version. Some people didn't dig the fact that they scrapped the PSOne's anime cutscenes in favor of the new CGI ones. Without custom firmware, you're looking at significantly increased load times, even when popping in and out of your inventory and other menus. Again, without custom firmware, you're going to experience a game that runs quite a bit choppier and framier than it ever was.

It's a fantastic game and essentially gave people another shot with it (since the PSOne version had such a tiny print run here in the US and goes on eBay for ridiculous amounts of money), but it wasn't exactly an amazing port job. I had an awesome time completing, but now that it's possible to rip the original PSOne disc and play it on the PSP, that's probably how I'm going to go about replaying it as a portable game, when the time comes.

Don't forget the absolutely HIDEOS filter that makes the game look like it was slathered with vaseline...

batbeg

As someone who never played the original, I can verify I certainly didn't think it performed badly at all. It may be inferior, but when everythings in relativity and you have nothing to compare it to... who gives a shit?

Mejilan

Yeah, that's true. The game does not look as sharp as it used to, at all. Also, music takes a hit if you don't use headphones. The PSP's speakers are just tinny pieces of shit. But that last one is strictly a hardware issue.

ethelred

batbeg said:
As someone who never played the original, I can verify I certainly didn't think it performed badly at all. It may be inferior, but when everythings in relativity and you have nothing to compare it to... who gives a shit?

I don't think anyone's saying it's not worth playing Lenneth. It's just that if one has the original version available, it's definitely the better version and it's the one you should play (especially, as Mej noted, now that custom firmware allows PSX ripping and playing). But for people who missed out on the original Valkyrie Profile? Absolutely, go for Lenneth so you can experience the game.

Mejilan

Yeah, to reiterate, if you aren't willing to break the bank grabbing the PSOne version, then the PSP port is a great way to go.

Actually, all things considered, the jump in quality between the PSP and PSOne versions won't ever warrant the $100 jump in price, in my opinion. I don't know if the game is out of print yet on the PSP, but it had dropped to $20 quite some time ago, so it was definitely nice and cheap for a good long while.

well i have the original, just no cfw yet (waiting on my battery and another mem stick to arrive).

would it be worth it to buy the psp ver if i can just play what i have on my psp?

Mejilan

I actually have never tried to run the PSOne game on the PSP, so I don't really know how well it performs. However, assuming near perfect emulation, that's DEFINITELY the best version of the game.

Still, as I mentioned above, properly tricked out, a rip of even the PSP version performs damn well.

aeolist

Banned
OP has nothing and I don't feel like scanning through the whole thread for this. What are all the details?

Also GAF no longer allows Japanese magazine scans? What the fuck?

Mejilan said:
I actually have never tried to run the PSOne game on the PSP, so I don't really know how well it performs. However, assuming near perfect emulation, that's DEFINITELY the best version of the game.

Still, as I mentioned above, properly tricked out, a rip of even the PSP version performs damn well.

I recall that there are issues with playing VP via POPStation. I just ripped my Lenneth UMD... despite the problems, for portable VP play.

duckroll

Mefisutoferesu said:
What were the differences between the US and Jp versions of VP PS1?

They mostly took out Badluck's smoking, and changed the animation of one of his finishers because it involved him flicking a cig to cause the final explosion. In the US version he just fires a shitload of arrows instead.

Mejilan

Some of the differences, taken from a FAQ:

The PSP version of the game is based off the Japanese PSX version, not the
superior North American version. This guide will still work, but there are
some differences you should be aware of:

The anime and FMV scenes have been replaced with 12 CGI movies.
You cannot sort items.
Only your active party can change equipment.
If you switch Valkyrie from bow to sword or vice-versa, all her skills will
unequip themselves. This could cause you a problem during the A ending, when
she automatically gets a sword.
Some enemies like Barbarossa do not cast their Great Magics. So they will be
quite a bit easier on this version.
Some of the North American censorship made it into this version (Badrach's
smoking is gone), while some didn't (Lezard has a pentagram when he
teleports).
The original North American voices are there, but there are new voice actors
for the movies (except Lenneth, who has the same voice actor).

duckroll said:
They mostly took out Badluck's smoking, and changed the animation of one of his finishers because it involved him flicking a cig to cause the final explosion. In the US version he just fires a shitload of arrows instead.
That's it? Dragona and Meji made it seem like a big deal.

ed: ah!

DENKO

in japan

Valkyrie Profile1: popular.
Valkyrie Profile2: Because the game changed into 3D, the reputation from the fan of the former
work is not good.
The episode of Einherijar had decreased, the evaluation fell.

3D gets drunk on the FPS game as for me.
It is a lot of cases in the Japanese that are.

any differences between the pal release of lenneth and the na one? looks like i can get the pal release brand new shipped for about 27$.

btw thanks for answering my questions

Bogus

I very much hope that this game lives up to Valkyrie Profile name.

I still have not gotten around to playing VP2, but at this point I would like to run through the original VP to refresh things before I jump into the sequel. Unfortunately and to my eternal shame, I lost my copy when I moved a few years ago. As much as I love Valkyrie Profile, I'm not sure I can justify spending 100+ dollars for a used copy... and I'm really not interested in a PSP just for one game, especially when I already have a DS meeting my portable gaming needs.

And yet, it is Valkyrie Profile...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
aeolist said:
OP has nothing and I don't feel like scanning through the whole thread for this. What are all the details?

Also GAF no longer allows Japanese magazine scans? What the fuck?

-3D, isometric
-DS
-Play as male, not a Valkyrie
-RPG of some kind
-made by Tri-Ace

batbeg

grandjedi6 said:
-3D, isometric 2D sprites
-DS
-Play as male, not a Valkyrie
-RPG of some kind
-made by Tri-Ace

Fix'd.

duckroll said:
The logo's tagline this time says: "Destiny by sinner sought. Tragedy by power wrought."

Cool, I guess. I bet there'll be a twist of bad guys being good guys and/or vice versa and we'll all be blown away, it'll be awesome.

Top Bottom