• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Artifact, a new DOTA-based card game at TI7 [Up: A few details]

Budi

ounym.gif

I'll try it probably.

Blizzard: What should we write... I have a big weiner?
Valve: I want to poop back and forth.
Blizzard: What? What does that mean?
Valve: Like I'll poop into her butthole and she'll poop it back... into my butthole and then we'll just keep doing it back and forth. With the same poop. Back and forth. Forever.
))<>((

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel the pressure is to do something rather different given the current success of Hearthstone and the fact that MTG Arena is about to come out, seemingly with a $40+ million budget this go around.

Edit:

This would be a good start:

Somebody on Reddit posted some details. Don't know if any of it's true, but it certainly sounds different from other card games.

Reddit comment here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comm...ame_artifact/dlcx6b7/?st=j64e1pjt&sh=4c663b04

Syf

Banned
Somebody on Reddit posted some details. Don't know if any of it's true, but it certainly sounds different from other card games.
If that's true at least they're trying something new with the genre. I mean I'm sure it'll be a success for Valve if the game is decent, which it likely will be. Just bummed. Been waiting years for a new Valve game and this isn't what most people had in mind.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Random info from Day9 on stream:
There are three game boards that represent the lanes
You control 5 heroes, just like DotA
You can equip item cards on to the Heroes that you buy with gold
There are creeps that spawn every turn
You can play creature cards
Some cards are cast on the lane and have persistent effects on that lane
Each Hero has abilities like their DotA counterparts ("You can cast track on a Hero as Bounty Hunter and get extra Gold")

Reddit comment here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comm...ame_artifact/dlcx6b7/?st=j64e1pjt&sh=4c663b04

That sounds a little too much like dota to me. I'm not sure how fun that will be compared to just playing dota, where you have a lot of the same strategies with the fun of action on top.

EDIT: I guess my biggest concern about it being too much like dota is if it all feels too forced to be like dota instead of just being a good card game.

RedSwirl

I'm honestly surprised I didn't expect this. After Hearthstone, Gwent, and now this, I think TCGs are officially the new Service Game microtransaction trend.

What publisher do you guys think is gonna be the next to bring out one? Ubisoft? EA? Microsoft? Nintendo?

For starters, Square Enix should have turned Triple Triad into an app and F2P game a long time ago. I mean, one bigger than what it's currently got out there. And Nintendo already made a well-received Pokemon TCG Game Boy game back on the day. It just needs to roll that back out in some kind of F2P system. And I know for a fact Microsoft is gonna try this. A Halo TCG? Maybe they'll write it into the setting as some popular card game the humans and/or Covenant like to play. EA's had Battleforge but it seems like that jumped the gun. Might it roll that back out or do some kind of Dragon Age or Battlefield TCG. Actually a Star Wars one would make more sense if it could get Lucasfilm to greenlight it.

We wait 7 years for a new Valve game announcement and it's a card game.

I really like card games, so I'm excited. I think they can be the first to match the presentation value of Hearthstone that no one else has.

But I completely understand why everyone else would be disappointed.

Portal 2 came out in 2011

And Dota 2 officially came out in 2013.

Not sure where you got this 7 year thing from.

Dinjoralo

That sounds a little too much like dota to me. I'm not sure how fun that will be compared to just playing dota, where you have a lot of the same strategies with the fun of action on top.
I mean... It's not playing Dota. As long as matches don't take ages and there's no equivalents to crap like last hits, it might actually be fun.

I think the only card I've really wanted to see happen is a final fantasy card game, but not some lazy mobile clone of hearthstone. Something super developed for final fantasy.

I'm not into dota2, but it sounds neat.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Portal 2 came out in 2011

And Dota 2 officially came out in 2013.

Not sure where you got this 7 year thing from.
If someone counted Dota 2's beta as the start of Dota 2, 2011 to 2018 would in fact be 7 years.

It's actually Counter-Strike: GO you would want to use as a counter argument, though I guess some people might not view that as "new", but it's still a 2012 product.

If someone counted Dota 2's beta as the start of Dota 2, 2011 to 2018 would in fact be 7 years.

It's actually Counter-Strike: GO you would want to use as a counter argument, though I guess some people might not view that as "new", but it's still a 2012 product.

I mean... 2011's DOTA 2 compared to 2013's DOTA 2 is a complete different beast, it took quite some time for the game to be in a state I'd call "releasable".

Honestly, the true question we need asked is:
Will it come to mobile?
If how hard Valve has been getting into China, I can't see them releasing this game without a mobile presence to get that sweet Asian money.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Not really sure what is up with this Artifact announcement. Seems really out of touch to just show a logo and no gameplay or development documentary kind of feature. Doesn't really bode well for the production quality but maybe I'm assuming too much there.

CS:Go is more like a Hidden Path project that Valve took over though.

Sentenza

It was also produced by another studio (Hidden Path, I think?), with questionable results at first, and just few months later "salvaged" by Valve.

I'm done with Valve, at least in terms of expecting them to make amazing games that aren't for competitive casuals. Those people only play one or two games and are like "i'm teh hardcorrrzzzzz" SMDH

Dyle

Boo, bring back that clicker game from that one summer sale, or at least let us use our Steam trading cards in this

"Competitive casuals". That's a new one

I just don't really consider playing one or two games, competitive or otherwise, "teh hardcorrzz", especially considering a lot of those kids have only been gaming for 5-7yrs. They're also not athletes, but that's a different topic.

Crono27

I just don't really consider playing one or two games, competitive or otherwise, "teh hardcorrzz", especially considering a lot of those kids have only been gaming for 5-7yrs. They're also not athletes, but that's a different topic.

What are you trying to say.. non of your posts make any sense.

Top Bottom