• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Artifact, a new DOTA-based card game at TI7 [Up: A few details]

Shock they announce they are making games in Unity, one of those games is a card game.

We have Titanfall 3 coming, last big source game?

Arulan

I'm looking forward to years of people pretending Valve doesn't develop games, even after this and their VR projects release, because it's not the story-focused game they want...

Machina

Banned
I saw "Valve announces..." and my heart skipped a beat.

Only one, tho. The world definitely needed another whale sponge card game....

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
the one thing i dont get is how are they going to crowdsource all the content creation for this game??
Cosmetic card art, you just allow artists to submit their art to be included in the game. Than you bundle up a bunch of variations, sell them in packs, rake in millions.

Horp

IgMyx.gif.gif
One of the most fitting gifs ever.

It's not that valve doesn't make games, it's just that they seem to have no interest in continuing some of their series of old. It's bene years, and still no HL episode 3, Left 4 dead 3, etc.

This is an expected move though. Card games are big, and they already have a solid moba. Everyone laughed at hearthstone at first, but not anymore. Valve obviously after that pie.

Maddrical

Shock they announce they are making games in Unity, one of those games is a card game.

We have Titanfall 3 coming, last big source game?

What the fuck, Titanfall 1 & 2 were built with Source!? I've barely seen those games except for my 5 year old nephew playing the start of the 2nd but it sure as shit didn't look like a Source game. I had no idea.

I can understand the disappointment people have but I think its a little hyperbolic at this point. Five pages of basically the same posts is pretty silly. I would rather talk about how much I hate teasers that literally announce a name and show literally nothing of value.

I am excited for a Valve TCG though. Mostly because I wonder how marketplace will work with it. Will they go the now traditional online TCG route or will they allow users to buy, sell, and trade cards? Because I honestly think, as long as the game itself was just as good as contemporaries like Hearthstone and Gwent, that they could steal the market with that.

..or maybe so much of the Hearthstone market has put enough money into the game that it is "unstealable"?

Im a bit disappointed with this announcement. Do we get all the cards by default? Or are cards locked behind a paywall?

Every week there will be featured cards that are free to use for every player along with a small pool of cards that are always free. You can buy the featured cards to always have access to them though.

Disclaimer: I have no clue and I don't think anyone else does either.

Tanoooki

I know that a TCG might seem a bit lame when people expect stuff like Left 4 Dead 3 or Half-Life 3 from Valve but I'm excited.

Valve hands down has the best MOBA on the market. I think Valve can do what Hearthstone can do but better. I'm excited to see what they can do and plan on getting in on this day one.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Well I know one important detail.

This is not actually Dota, just based off it. Therefore I am not interested.
Well... that's fair. I have much bigger of a problem with the 5 pages of ridiculous one-liners and hyperbole.

They could literally announce anything that isn't HL3 or l4d3 and gaf would hate on them (maybe even l4d3 would get hate, it's not really a pure singleplayer game after all)

It's pretty fucked up that in a company where you can work on anything you want, the people that still want to make a game decide to make one of these. The hate is justified. It's embarrassing.

danmaku

Boooooohooooo they're not making the game I wanted, MUST HATE

But seriously, if it's more MTG and less Heartstone, I'm interested.

Hektor

Yikes that first page is fucken embarrassing.

-----

Very much looking forward to it.

I trust them to make something with a bit more depth than hearthstone and its ilk.

rickyson1

sure why not

I kinda have the opposite reaction of a lot of people it seems,I wouldn't give a shit if they released half life 3 or whatever but i'll probably at least try this out if it doesn't look awful

Qassim

It's pretty fucked up that in a company where you can work on anything you want, the people that still want to make a game decide to make one of these. The hate is justified. It's embarrassing.

It's not Valve's fault more people play the games that people here don't want them to make.

No one plays Valve's single player games after the first month. Why would they keep making them? The market already told Valve what it wants it to make.

The hate is embarrassing. Lots of people enjoy TCGs/CCGs. They can also be really interesting from a design perspective. Joining a small team to make a AAA card game sounds like a lot of fun.

There is no need to hate on that, just because it also happens to be a great business decision.

Nev

Banned
And here I am expecting L4D3 with Source 2. Instead, I get this trash for DOTA fanboys.

90% of the naysayers that gave dislike and are crying will still play this day one, so please just stop.

HariKari

Could they have picked a project with less risk? With more monetization possibilities? This is what Valve has turned into.

deleted

Well - makes sense!

Next stop: Dota Diablo style game.
Next stop for Blizzard: Vast groundbreaking Single Player FPS based on Starcraft

Valve stay winning. Cannot wait for this.

It's weird that people seem to think Valve don't care about making games despite the fact they make some of the most deep games on the market. But I guess it's not HL3 so fuck them right?

I like the art for the dota characters and I like card games so I will at least check it out but I can't say I'm thrilled for this.

Miletius

The lane system does sound different and interesting ,but we will have to see if it translates into good gameplay. If so, count me interested. However, if the gameplay is too similar to DOTA 2 then I'm not sure why the perceived fanbase for the game would want to play that over playing actual DOTA2. It's got to find a way to differentiate itself from both the gamers that may perceive it as a cash in on the CCG trend and the DOTA 2 fanbase. That's got to be a consideration from the development standpoint.

Furthermore, I do think there is some merit to discussing the idea that CCG's are like MOBA's and MMO's -- usually the userbase will pick one champion (the perceived "best" one) and gravitate towards that one. Some evidence of that can be seen in the failure of games like Shadowverse, Eternal, Duelyst ect... to gain traction. Players are reluctant to switch to a new game in these genres because of both loyalty and investment -- they would have to leave their collection behind in order to switch, which for many is a nonstarter.

On both fronts Artifact has a lot to overcome. I want to see more before I make any judgements of the actual game though -- a lot of people hated on HS before it was even out and here we are, with HS basically respawning and entire genre of (video) games. I'm well aware that physical CCG's like Magic were and still are going strong.

skny

Valve always makes the most in-depth games in the genres they work on so I'm definitely interested in this more than hearthstone and gwent.

cyba89

They could literally announce anything that isn't HL3 or l4d3 and gaf would hate on them (maybe even l4d3 would get hate, it's not really a pure singleplayer game after all)

You say that as if "A Dota card game" is the most exciting thing they could come up with.

The salt in this thread is really something else...
Y'all want a new story driven FPS by Valve yet none of you bought Prey 2017.

I am looking forward to this but i hope they stick to their "No P2W" design philosophy and decide to only sell cosmetics.

The lane system does sound different and interesting ,but we will have to see if it translates into good gameplay. If so, count me interested. However, if the gameplay is too similar to DOTA 2 then I'm not sure why the perceived fanbase for the game would want to play that over playing actual DOTA2. It's got to find a way to differentiate itself from both the gamers that may perceive it as a cash in on the CCG trend and the DOTA 2 fanbase. That's got to be a consideration from the development standpoint.

Furthermore, I do think there is some merit to discussing the idea that CCG's are like MOBA's and MMO's -- usually the userbase will pick one champion (the perceived "best" one) and gravitate towards that one. Some evidence of that can be seen in the failure of games like Shadowverse, Eternal, Duelyst ect... to gain traction. Players are reluctant to switch to a new game in these genres because of both loyalty and investment -- they would have to leave their collection behind in order to switch, which for many is a nonstarter.

On both fronts Artifact has a lot to overcome. I want to see more before I make any judgements of the actual game though -- a lot of people hated on HS before it was even out and here we are, with HS basically respawning and entire genre of (video) games. I'm well aware that physical CCG's like Magic were and still are going strong.

dota-style mobas have a ceiling of being low quality action game

at least a ccg has a chance of being a decent card game instead of forever being restricted to being nothing more than a character action game with RTS controls

Top Bottom