• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Artifact, a new DOTA-based card game at TI7 [Up: A few details]

Haunted

I couldn't imagine Hearthstone being any good, yet I played hours and hours of that game.

Definitely not ruling anything out beforehand. Might not be the type of game we wanted out of Valve, but that doesn't mean it'll be bad.

elyetis

TBH, Day9's vague impressions make it sound more like a board game with living card game elements and not yet-another-Magic-clone.
That's the only reason I'm actually somewhat interested in that announcement...
Well as much as someone can really be interested in something you have close to no info of, no picture, and a simple 2018 estimate from a studio unable to release the dota 2 TI7 campaign event in time.

dota-style mobas have a ceiling of being low quality action game

at least a ccg has a chance of being a decent card game instead of forever being restricted to being nothing more than a character action game with RTS controls
What actually is this post? You have no idea what a moba is.

pislit

Reading the card game's mechanics, this is actually a good supplement to main game dota 2 since A LOT of newcomers are trying to learn the game with a high skill ceiling that even gaffers choke out lol

In a way, this should simplify the game for those who are learning it. hopefully this card game has a mobile version so that valve will work on some dota mobile solution so that we can finally ACCESS OUR COMPENDIUMS in our phone instead of going to the game itself to dust Arteezy gold cards.

As someone that likes the art direction and design behind Dota but never got into it, this looks like it could be cool. Shame it's not a new IP but hey, this is 2017 Valve.

Machina

Banned
The Konamization of Valve is upon us.

nooooooo_luke_skywalker.gif

Is there a clip with the buildup, trailer, and crowd + panel reactions? Can't seem to find it in in the 12 hour twitch archive.

Edit: Nevermind: 08:42:30
Edit2: Well damn no crowd reaction in there.

I understand why some people are disappointed, I don't understand the people are acting like other people don't have a right to be disappointed.

Personally I stopped caring about Valve games because they not longer make games I care about so I feel nothing from this announcement.

Murkas

I'm wondering how they're gonna nickel and dime the suckers with MT.

Cosmetics on a card game lmao, pay real life money for a different coloured sleeve or board mat.

And they'll make a shitload.

I'm more interested in Portal 3 and Left 4 Dead 3 than HL3 tbh.

I'm pretty neutral about the whole thing now. Games with cards added as a way to increase replayability and options haven't been done in any interesting way yet. Maybe Valve can crack the code.

What actually is this post? You have no idea what a moba is.

dota-style moba can only go in 1 of 2 directions to reach a higher level of quality (because single-character control using what is basically the warcraft3 interface has limited potential)

one direction follows the approach taken by smite / hero shooters / etc.
it is valid. it probably involves dumbing down the tactics a bit to emphasize the action

the other direction is figuring out how to emphasize the tactics, and that probably means making a strategy game (eg. board game or card game or hybrid)

i don't have high hopes for artifact, but the ceiling of that kind of design is a 10/10 game. the ceiling of a dota-style moba is a 7/10 game

patapuf

I'm wondering how they're gonna nickel and dime the suckers with MT.

Cosmetics on a card game lmao, pay real life money for a different coloured sleeve or board mat.

And they'll make a shitload.

I'm more interested in Portal 3 and Left 4 Dead 3 than HL3 tbh.

The way to monetise a card game is kind of obvious. Even the cosmetic stuff. It's not like this is new ground.

Valve taking the same approach to this TCG that they do to Dota 2 (aka, everything gameplay relevant is free) would be the novel thing. Not them doing what everyone else does.

Wonder how the microtransactions will work. If I get a super rare card from a booster pack or crate or whatever, will I be able to sell it on the Steam marketplace for $300?

pislit

Wonder how the microtransactions will work. If I get a super rare card from a booster pack or crate or whatever, will I be able to sell it on the Steam marketplace for $300?

Probably same as CS: GO, DOTA 2 and TF2, all cosmetics. They probably want that pro scene too in the card game niche.

dota-style moba can only go in 1 of 2 directions to reach a higher level of quality (because single-character control using what is basically the warcraft3 interface has limited potential)

it is valid. it probably involves dumbing down the tactics a bit to emphasize the action

the other direction is figuring out how to emphasize the tactics, and that probably means making a strategy game (eg. board game or card game or hybrid)

i don't have high hopes for artifact, but the ceiling of that kind of design is a 10/10 game. the ceiling of a dota-style moba is a 7/10 game

I have no idea what you are saying. Whether you are questioning the design aesthetic of MOBAs or the gameplay design I think you are wrong on both fronts.

Hopefully nothing's tradable and we needn't ever care about botters, scammers, betting sites etc. and they can keep the rarity rates reasonable. They can introduce some coin-system similar to Overwatch where you accumulate a currency you can use to directly buy the stuff you want.

Yukinari

Hopefully nothing's tradable and we needn't ever care about botters, scammers, betting sites etc. and they can keep the rarity rates reasonable. They can introduce some coin-system similar to Overwatch where you accumulate a currency you can use to directly buy the stuff you want.

Nothing tradable in a valve game that will be used as a service? Thats some lofty thinking friend.

patapuf

Overwatch's system actually comes from online card games and it's how all of them handle it. And it's almost universally a very stingy system (just like it is in overwatch)

Letting players trade cards would be way better (and cheaper) for the consumer. The standart system gets the dev way more money, so maybe valve choses to go that way anyway.

and i mean, in real life card games, trading cards and them having value is completely normal.

In that case, I imagine most people will just play the million other versions of this game that already exist (and they have already put money into) in the post-Hearthstone industry.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
TBH, Day9's vague impressions make it sound more like a board game with living card game elements and not yet-another-Magic-clone.

I mean, it's not like there aren't a bunch of these out or in development too (Duelyst, the Smite-themed one from Hi Rez). It's basically the same crap.

Overwatch's system actually comes from online card games and it's how all of them handle it. And it's almost universally a very stingy system (just like it is in overwatch)

Letting players trade cards would be way better (and cheaper) for the consumer. The standart system gets the dev way more money, so maybe valve choses to go that way anyway.

and i mean, in real life card games, trading cards and them having value is completely normal.

The issue with that is meta-defining legendaries will just end up being really expensive, just like real card games. Hearthstone's method is a pain but at least every card has a specific value.

Twookie

certainly did not see this coming. I'm not sure if this is something I want but I'm glad they're making a new game and I'll probably try it out.
I've liked pretty much every Valve game so I'm sure this will be good too.

L4D3, HL3 or Portal3 is probably now dead anyway, so I've moved on from those.

GAF judging games before anything is announced as usual, lol.

The NeoGAF classic

patapuf

The issue with that is meta-defining legendaries will just end up being really expensive, just like real card games. Hearthstone's method is a pain but at least every card has a specific value.

They could still have 'dust' to prevent that.

Who knows how important single cards will even be. We don't know much a out the game yet

They could still have 'dust' to prevent that.

Who knows how important single cards will even be. We don't know much a out the game yet

You're right. Hopefully Valve do this the right way. Dota 2 is the best F2P model around so I'm hopefuly. Can't wait for this game though, I play a lot of HS and Gwent so I'm keen.

Cipherr

Not really. And Blizzard still makes games, even new IP.

Nah, he's right. The reaction to HS was exactly the same TBH. You sort of changed the entire subject there.

Who knows, might do well, might not. But one thing is for sure, gamers shit all over card game announcements. All of them.

oti

Banned
GAF judging games before anything is announced as usual, lol.

You mean the entire Internet, right?

And come on. It's not difficult to understand the reaction. It could be an amazing game and that would be great. But we all know this will be Valve's new monetization experiment first and foremost.

cyba89

Cutting edge VR games would get just as much hate if not more and that could be pretty fucking cool.

That's also pretty easy to understand.

The reaction would not be negative because it's "not HL3" but because you need an $800 accessory and a beefy gaming pc to play that game which excludes about 97% of GAF.

The game would probably be cool for the few people who are willing to invest that money, that's true.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
You mean the entire Internet, right?

And come on. It's not difficult to understand the reaction. It could be an amazing game and that would be great. But we all know this will be Valve's new monetization experiment first and foremost.
Oti just stop. Have you even tried any of the latest valve games? On gaf I hear so much fucking misinformation about valves games in terms of MTX, on this place somehow Dota 2 is the worst offender in the moba space which is so far from the truth you can come. Valve has so far made one, if not THE,fairest f2p models in Dota 2 with all heroes free, random cosmetic drops, a market where you can buy cosmetics from other people for literally pennies and with optional micro transaction crates to get new sets of cosmetics.

oti

Banned
Oti just stop. Have you even tried any of the latest valve games? On gaf I hear so much fucking misinformation about valves games in terms of MTX, on this place somehow Dota 2 is the worst offender in the moba space which is so far from the truth you can come. Valve has so far made one, if not THE,fairest f2p models in Dota 2 with all heroes free, random cosmetic drops, a market where you can buy cosmetics from other people for literally pennies and with optional micro transaction crates to get new sets of cosmetics.

I saw that GB video, Spirited.
YOU CAN'T LIE TO ME!

I'm not saying their monetization isn't fair.

Wok

How many TCG are already available on Steam? Not many, I think. These days, most F2P card games are CCG. Valve is bringing some fresh air.

I do think there's a niche to be filled, as MTG's online system isn't very good and Hearthstone is just an unbalanced RNG clusterfuck. An actually balanced and competent online TCG has potential.

A perfectly fair, balanced and competent TCG game wouldn't make tons of money. You need it to not be perfectly balanced to both entice and anger the player to get him to spend.

Atuin

We get it, you're a strategy game fan Mr. StrategyFan. Stop saying that mobas are objectively, fundamentally inferior to strategy games. That's like saying romantic movies can only reach a higher level of quality by adding explosions and guns. I personally dislike games where you have to control more than 1 unit, but I don't think strategy games are a bad genre with limited potential just because I'm bad at multitasking.

Back to topic: It feels a little odd to see so much negativity about the game. I'm quite occupied with HS and Gwent and I know nothing about DOTA so I don't see myself playing the game but I'm still happy about the announcement. More competition is always good: HS conveniently gave free stuff and improved the rewards (guaranteed legendary in first 10 packs of new expansion, free mini-adventure, no duplicate legendaries, no triple same commons in packs, no non-golden common cards in Arena rewards) when Gwent gained a lot of attention and Shadowverse had a popular expansion and I'm pretty sure anything made by Valve has a bigger influence than an anime card game. Besides, Day9 made it sound like it's different enough to be more than just a HS (or MTG) clone.

I'm also really, really hoping that they'll implement DOTA's true F2P model with everything gameplay related being free and selling only cosmetic stuff like card backs, animated cards, announcers etc.

patapuf

How many TCG are already available on Steam? Not many, I think. These days, most F2P card games are CCG. Valve is bringing some fresh air.

Duelyst, Eternal and shadowverse are the biggest ones i think.

I'm not sure if the elder scrolls TCG is.

Top Bottom