• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve announces Steam Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a hard time coming up with a sensible Dota 2 profile for this controller.

im-ok-with-this.png

A long time ago I was watching a stream of a zerg player in masters playing exclusively with a 360 controller. What he was doing was moving the camera (the arrows keys essentially) for general movement with the left stick and fine-tuned his mouse location with the right stick at the same time. He was actually pretty scary to watch him micro his mutas and stuff, he was really good with the setup.

Edit: Here he is https://twitter.com/Sc2Cress seems his twitch account is closed though.

e3m88

Banned
who else thinks that this is a mediocre controller that doesn't work for anything at all?

it doesn't work for first person shooters,
it doesn't work for third person shooters,
it doesn't work for 2d platforms,
it doesn't work for fighting games...

valve tried to solve a problem that didn't exist and they did it poorly, I am very disappointed.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
who else thinks that this is a mediocre controller that doesn't work for anything at all?

valve tried to solve a problem that didn't exist and they did it poorly, I am very disappointed.

apparently no one who has tried it. including the people who make those games.

Afrikan

can I borrow it? would love to try it out myself.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

It looks like it works better for most things than, for example, the Xbox 360 controller.

theRizzle

Man, I wish I got my Beta controller already like you

Jams775

Oh so you've actually tried it then? What games did you play with the controller? I'm assuming you've tried it with at least 4 different genre's due to your previous post.

therapist

And you know this how? No one has tried it to see how it is.

Uh did you quote the wrong person?

I did say ASSUME in there . lol.

Its only logical to me that a person with a full mouse will kill a person on a trackpad , and i am thinking FPS here.

However like i said id love to be proved wrong.

Judging from the guys posts hes been using them for a long time so it would very interesting.

The controller is designed to play traditionally PC only games (RTS were a good example) on your couch while still being able to play every game currently out on steam. I'd say they've probably RND'ed the FUCK out of this thing. I'm willing to give Valve the benefit of the doubt and try it before I say it's bad for one thing or another.

It probably won't be good for fighting games though.

leadbelly

Banned

What makes you think it would be worse for First Person Shooters than a normal analogue controller?

If the touchpad is as sensitive as they claim it is, I imagine it would work better than an analogue controller. It's mostly in terms of aiming. Take the analogue out of the way and you could make aiming quicker and more responsive.

eot

Banned

This is absurd, unless you've used it you can say what it does or doesn't work for.

Grief.exe

Just ignore this poster, he has been doing this kind of thing since the announcement. He can't construct a coherent argument, so this is his crutch to get his point across.

counter-hypothesis (written as fact)
it works better than present gen analog stick controllers for first & third person shooters
it works better than every traditional D-Pad for 2D & 3D platformers
I don't play fighting games but they will work
Too Human is actually an instant classic with the Gabepad

it works better than present gen analog stick controllers for first & third person shooters

Would be funny if crappy games were actually made better with this pad.

Vanpastel

Thanks, from now on I won't be able to call it anything else.

Durante

There's a touchscreen on the controller, you will be looking at it.

(I think it looks pretty damn snazzy)
Though you don't have to!
In order to avoid forcing players to divide their attention between screens, a critical feature of the Steam Controller comes from its deep integration with Steam. When a player touches the controller screen, its display is overlayed on top of the game they’re playing, allowing the player to leave their attention squarely on the action, where it belongs.

(Reading this renewed my confidence in the controller, they have certainly thought this through)

LAMBO

It's just like Chevy vs Ford. People just fall in love with a brand, and when something better comes out, they don't care if it's better. They just want to see their favorite emblem on what they bought.

Is this controller good, who knows, we haven't touched it yet.

dtg

Neo Member
Do you guys think you'll be able to 3d print or buy custom faceplates with the way the controller is exploded in the mockups? Would the ability to pop on a different color faceplate (and potentially trackpads) solve some of the it's ugly problems, or is it a fundamentally a problem with the shapes on the controller

Vitor711

I think the trackpads look ace and could totally see them improving most games.

That being said, the XYBA locations are TERRIBLE for third person games.

Will those genres have to have their actions mapped to clicks on the track pad? Man, I'm so curious to try this thing out.

eek5

I think the trackpads look ace and could totally see them improving most games.

That being said, the XYBA locations are TERRIBLE for third person games.

Will those genres have to have their actions mapped to clicks on the track pad? Man, I'm so curious to try this thing out.

There are 8 buttons (trigger, shoulders, and back buttons) and the trackpad clicks that you can access w/o taking your thumbs off the track pads. That should be enough for most 3rd person games.

Khaz

Do you guys think you'll be able to 3d print or buy custom faceplates with the way the controller is exploded in the mockups? Would the ability to pop on a different color faceplate (and potentially trackpads) solve some of the it's ugly problems, or is it a fundamentally a problem with the shapes on the controller

What colour do you think would solve this (subjective) ugliness problem?

Grief.exe

Valve has been 3D printing their test models right now. If they release the design, then you can probably do the same thing.

fizzgigg

Banned
Its funny how everyone became a engineer in this thread.
Especially a engineer that doesnt even have to touch his creation
to give his final thought.
None of you have even seen how the controller works nor touched it.
Just because it looks 100% different doesnt mean it wont work perfectly for your games
including mobas and rts games. I think the controller looks like potential.

fallout

From what I read this isn't the final design though is it? They said they would leave it open to the community to mod it too right?
Openness

The Steam Controller was designed from the ground up to be hackable. Just as the Steam Community and Workshop contributors currently deliver tremendous value via additions to software products on Steam, we believe that they will meaningfully contribute to the design of the Steam Controller. We plan to make tools available that will enable users to participate in all aspects of the experience, from industrial design to electrical engineering. We can’t wait to see what you come up with.
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

dtg

Neo Member
What colour do you think would solve this (subjective) ugliness problem?

I personally don't mind black, it just seems like a lot of people have problems with the controller and I was wondering if it was the colors, or the design in general. It looks like it's going to be pretty easy to mod though, so who knows. This is one of those times where I'm thinking, "Oh, this is where a 3d printer might come in handy".

gribbles

Banned
Not at all interested in the Steam machine itself, but this has got my interest piqued. Depending on the reviews, I may actually pick one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom