• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve details Dota 2 Custom Games (new Valve made mode - Overthrow, dev tools)

Day 2 of the ongoing Dota 2 Reborn beta is up, detailing Custom Games

http://www.dota2.com/reborn/part2

later this week Valve will talk about the engine and launch the beta

Custom Games are new experiences that are created by the community, and playable within Dota 2. These games can be anything from a grand brawl between ten Invokers, to a story-driven dungeon adventure, to something creative that no one has seen before. For us, Custom Games represent a continuation of the tradition that gave birth to Dota, Team Fortress and Counter-Strike. We’d like to build an ecosystem where you can experience something new every time you launch Dota 2.

If you’d like to begin creating a Custom Game of your own, you can check out the second part of the update site to learn more about the ecosystem we’ve created.

Later this week we will explore some underlying technology of the new engine.

http://blog.dota2.com/2015/06/dota-2-reborn-custom-games/

Also according to Marlamin from FP the new UI is using BPM UI system.

edit:

if you want top watch the vids on YT instead of the site

Kalnos

Banned
Looks fuckin' awesome. They seem to have avoided a lot of the ways that Blizzard fucked up SC2 custom games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh good this is the update I'd been waiting for.

Overthrow looks like it could be good quick fun.

Also looks good for onboarding people to new heroes quickly.

Randdalf

Valve's Panorama UI system sounds awesome, I'm reading through the docs on the wiki right now, seems very nice to use.

If their beta survives the first flood of players I will be shocked. I think the DOTA 2 network will be down a lot this weekend :(.

elyetis

Wow it actually might not have paid mods, I guess I can begin to be optimistic about that patch. D2modding showed some great result for what it was, I could see myself playing mods more than the game itself.

jediyoshi

Nice to see them shipping out some new environmental assets alongside the tools

Wow it actually might not have paid mods, I guess I can begin to be optimistic about that patch. D2modding showed some great result for what it was, I could see myself playing mods more than the game itself.

Considering what they've been doing with TF2 and CSGO for years or even what the 'paid mods' actually entailed, I can't imagine how it would've led to them enforcing users who publish things to actually wall off content.

Exuro

Wonder how easy/hard the tools will be compared to blizzards stuff. Last I used it Hammer wasn't very beginner friendly.

Really excited though. Will try it out when it releases later this week.

MOBAs didn't hook me, or I just dont seem to grasp it well enough, but I did like playing what I did.

If it expands to story driven adventures or other experiences, I'd love to jump back in and play. I like the characters and abilities, so it seems cool

jediyoshi

Wonder how easy/hard the tools will be compared to blizzards stuff. Last I used it Hammer wasn't very beginner friendly.

Judging from the video and messing around with it, the only hold over is the name. It being tile based for Dota makes it infinitely more accessible and they prefab all the important entities together.

It actually kind of bugs me they don't differentiate the name because there will be some weird transition period where searching source2 hammer tutorials will probably bring back source1 tuts.

scarybore

I always waste so much time and make such awful crap with tools like this, but it looks great fun to play around with.

Arrage

Banned
Glad to see Valve further empowering Dota community. Looking forward to see some crazy modes.

Looks at Riot... Gives nothing, still hoarding URF and One for All modes for a rainy day...

Xyber

I hope custom games with a large number of creeps won't completely lag (sort of like network lag and not performance lag) the game now. Tried some stuff maybe 5 months back and you always got to a point where nothing worked anymore and you couldn't do anything for like a minute. A bunch of fun game modes were completely broken because of this.

I haven't played normal Dota for almost 2 years now, would gladly come back for some custom games.

So Overthrow ranges from 10 player FFA to 5 team 2v2 to 3 team 3v3. Wonder if any other variation is also possible or these 3 are set.

Nymerio

Can't wait for the Panorama UI stuff to make it into the main game mode. I've never been a fan of the ridiculously large default hud.

jmga

Dota 2 Reborn OUT!

CUklAFJ.png

And third article:
http://www.dota2.com/reborn/part3

Yushi

With all these custom games, this is how Valve & Dota 2 takes over to RTS/MOBA/whatever you want to call it world.

The system seems much better than SC2's and with out accessible this is becoming, people will mostly play this game for custom maps. OH GOD CANNOT WAIT!

HOLY SHIT THE BETA IS OUT AND I AM DOWNLOADING IT WTFFFFFFFF. Valve's private little E3. God damn at all these new features, hnnnnnnngh. As someone who has played 2500 hours of Dota 2, this is the biggest megaton for me.

Top Bottom