• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Big-E

I have not been home to Vancouver in over half a year and I am definitely not jealous of mediocre Italian food. So many better options to choose from.

Firestorm

That place always has lineups ever single time I pass by. I heard the quantity is immense but the quality ain't all that good though. What are your thoughts?
Quality's fine. Especially for the amount you get :p I haven't had it since I got back to Vancouver though... I'll need to do a stop soon. I think it also got quite the reputation from being so easy to get to from SFU Burnaby and the fact that any students who go there for dinner have 1 - 2 meals the next day as well!

My wallet has been decimated by doing two Dine-Outs and an AYCE in the span of 7 days though :(

Gila

That place always has lineups ever single time I pass by. I heard the quantity is immense but the quality ain't all that good though. What are your thoughts?

The quantity is enormous, and the quality is great. But mind you I haven't been to very many Italian restaurants so, Antons just shot up in my books. I'm sure like Big-E said there are places just as good or even better

but Antons is definitely worth checking out at least once or twice imo. How's the headphones also?

beat

is there a good job environment for software engineers?
I think it's pretty good. Not sure what you're comparing it to, though.

MS set up an office or two here, originally as a holding pen for people they couldn't get US visas for, but now they're kinda more 'real'. SAP has a couple of offices in the area. The game dev scene isn't dead yet, if you're a game developer.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
A new and exciting residential building proposed right at the Granville bridge end !

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/02/...osal-vancouver-big-tower-bjarke-ingels-group/

image.php

Beach-Howe-Tower-e1328850046754.png

Redford

aka Cabbie
Hey guys. Moved here last August. At first I hated it, but the rain has grown on me.

Want to do some skiing next year, but anyways, I go to a certain Uni on the North Shore.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hey guys. Moved here last August. At first I hated it, but the rain has grown on me.

Want to do some skiing next year, but anyways, I go to a certain Uni on the North Shore.

The summer is the best part... sounds like you arrived just at the beginning of the rain half of the year. :p

Max

I am not Max
I'm looking into game design courses in the Van area, anyone here of any experience able to recommend certain schools? Experiences?

Currently have a scheduled phone call with a Van Film School advisor

I'm looking into game design courses in the Van area, anyone here of any experience able to recommend certain schools? Experiences?

Vancouver Film School is the most famous. I know a great deal of the instructors there since most of them are game devs that do this on the side (often because they are ex-VFS themselves). Their programs are not bad - they are laser-focused on trying to do relevant coursework, and I think they have a production program as well? - but it's no guarantee of a job, it's a ton of work, and it's not cheap. VFS is necessarily part glitz on the outside because they are a business and pump out 90+ grads a year, whereas SFU/UBC are going to be relatively droll on the outside but are probably very good as prep for programming jobs or indie work.

I think the best bet if you want a legit education is probably the real programs (I heard SFU and maybe UBC have development or at least engineering programs now for games?) but they are probably a bit underdeveloped compared to Montreal at least in terms of how many they can handle.

I know from personal experience that you can probably make any of these programs work. Every semester I've seen projects about of VFS that range from raw mud to "they've already posted it on kongregate and got a ton of hits". You gotta be ready to get stuff done on your own to make up for however the class goes, forget about finding a local job and either go indie or at least make a damn good demo.

lethial

Reeeeeeee

Currently have a scheduled phone call with a Van Film School advisor

I did the VFS course 7 years ago. It was good. I also did the game design and theory course a year before VFS at the Art Institute of Burnaby (Right by BCIT and EA). Make sure you have a portfolio of sketches and maybe make up some design documents. Be prepared to kiss a lot of ass as the instructors are part of the industry. If you have any particular questions send me a message and I'll do my best to answer them. I did have some issues with both courses but no program is perfect.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So who's played the Mass Effect 3 demo? Apparently in the future the North Shore sees a lot of development!

Whoa... Mind blown. I don't play Bioware games (even though I used to live right beside them in Edmonton), but now I'm tempted to give the game a shot just to see this...

Firestorm

If you want a job straight into design, good luck and definitely don't go with SFU or UBC. But if you want to do say software development with a focus on games, I think Comp Sci at SFU with a minor in SIAT may do you some good. There's only two game design courses in the school and it's obviously not going to cover much.

ameratsu

I am visiting vancouver this week, any recommendations for decent but not crazy expensive clothing shops other than the obvious? Going to be staying in downtown van. Searched this thread and found nothing.

Ra\/en

Moved from the lower mainland (Coquitlam) to Calgary 1.5 years ago. I miss living near the ocean, the amazing sushi, the fishing, the lakes, etc.

I dont' miss the political crap, taxes, 9 months of overcast weather and lower income.

It's a toss up.

I'll probably move back eventually (if I can ever afford to).

Big-E

Moved from the lower mainland (Coquitlam) to Calgary 1.5 years ago. I miss living near the ocean, the amazing sushi, the fishing, the lakes, etc.

I dont' miss the political crap, taxes, 9 months of overcast weather and lower income.

It's a toss up.

I'll probably move back eventually (if I can ever afford to).

As someone who has moved inland for work, I too really miss the water. No real water in a city is an absolute shame as it becomes so much more depressing.

Ra\/en

Eww, Alberta. Blech.

It's not perfect out here.. I know! But I like it.

When I save up the necessary $750,000 for a small shack for my family and I, I will move back to Van.

In all seriousness, I was thinking that Port Moody would be a nice place to live. The train goes right downtown from there.

beat

I moved to California in 2007, and for me, I actually did miss overcast skies. But I was born and raised in Vancouver; to me skies are supposed to be grey.

Big-E

It's not perfect out here.. I know! But I like it.

When I save up the necessary $750,000 for a small shack for my family and I, I will move back to Van.

In all seriousness, I was thinking that Port Moody would be a nice place to live. The train goes right downtown from there.

I commuted through Port Moody to Coquitlam when I was doing teaching in Coquitlam and I feel the same way. Close enough to everything if need be and still a little quaint and nice.

Eww, Alberta. Blech.

The renters laws are worse, but the improved tax situation means a lot. I'm not a fan of those chinook weather events but a lot of things are forgiven when the price you pay on goods actually somewhat resembles the sticker price. Last time I lived there though downtown rental pricing was spiraling out of control faster than West end Vancouver, so not sure how liveable it is.

Ra\/en

The renters laws are worse, but the improved tax situation means a lot. I'm not a fan of those chinook weather events but a lot of things are forgiven when the price you pay on goods actually somewhat resembles the sticker price. Last time I lived there though downtown rental pricing was spiraling out of control faster than West end Vancouver, so not sure how liveable it is.

Rent is super expensive out here in Calgary. I think it's almost as much as Vancouver (or as bad as Vancouver) in a lot of places. Food costs are about the same.

Anyhow, this thread is about Vancouver. I won't side track it.

I'm coming back to Van in late march for a week. Gonna snowboard Whistler and eat some sushi. Hope it does not rain the whole time I'm there. :).

Excited.

Firestorm

Pokemon Fans! Western Canada Regional is just a month and a half away in Surrey. I'll be there of course so you should check it out =P
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3459285

I'll also be hosting a practice tournament on March 17th at the same venue during the TCG Provincial tournament.
I am visiting vancouver this week, any recommendations for decent but not crazy expensive clothing shops other than the obvious? Going to be staying in downtown van. Searched this thread and found nothing.
Not a big clothes shopper but maybe walk down Robson Street and see what catches your eye?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Image Engine adds 30 positions

Vancouver-based visual effects studio Image Engine announced Monday it has expanded its operations to the Centre for Digital Media on the Great Northern Way Campus, creating 30 entry-level industry jobs in response to the demand for creative talent in the region.

Vancouver is a growing destination for visual effects work out of Hollywood, said Jason Dowdeswell, Image Engine's head of studio.

But years of outsourcing labour-intensive junior positions, such as rotoscoping and cameratracking, to India, China, Eastern Europe and Thailand has eroded the local workforce and pushed young talent to look for training opportunities elsewhere.

The decision to open the new facility, and bring those jobs back to the city, represents a conscious shift in that position.

"We realize that those disciplines were how new people in the industry could learn their craft and be prepared to move up to intermediate or senior roles where the scope of the job duties are much more involved," Dowdeswell said.

Image Engine will formally open its new facility on Thursday.

More good visual effects news :)

Tawpgun

Hey Vancouver, I know its not like losing the Stanley Cup finals or anything... but you did lose to the LA KINGS. The KINGS.

How many cars were flipped?

Bruiserk

I'm outta here in May. Going to be in Burnaby next semester. Commute to Cap is going to be shit.

My friend lives in Fleetwood (Surrey) and has to commute to Cap. He fucking dreads it.

Firestorm said:
Pokemon Fans! Western Canada Regional is just a month and a half away in Surrey. I'll be there of course so you should check it out =P
http://ww.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3459285

I'll also be hosting a practice tournament on March 17th at the same venue during the TCG Provincial tournament.

Cool, I go to SFU Surrey campus this semester. I didn't know it was going to be there. Good luck!

Firestorm

Cool, I go to SFU Surrey campus this semester. I didn't know it was going to be there. Good luck!
SIAT? =o

And yeah its this weekend! Got some friends arriving in town for it tomorrow. Put on the finishing touches to my team earlier this week. Gonna be fun!

Firestorm

No, not SIAT. I'm in Comp Sci. But, I hang out will people from SIAT mostly.
Oh man you must be their best friend. If there's one thing a SIAT student does not underappreciate, it's someone who knows how to program. I just finished a joint degree in SIAT / Communications. Gonna be convocating in June.

Top Bottom