• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Roto13

Vancouver is much smaller and there's less going on than in Toronto. Also, no Rob Ford or insufferable heat wave to talk about.

Firestorm

Welcome back Big-E :D
IndieJones said:
How come Toronto-Age is on OT2 but this has seven pages? (Pardon my ignorance, Junior here) I mean, I guess it's a rhetorical question, everyone in Vancouver is too busy enjoying 19 splendid, summery degrees to fuck around on a computer.
The last two pages of the Toronto thread are bitching about heat. Ugh. I'm sweating while typing this. Disgusting. Also, the last thread didn't really hit the max. EvilMario just wanted to make a new OP.

Firestorm said:
Welcome back Big-E :DThe last two pages of the Toronto thread are bitching about heat. Ugh. I'm sweating while typing this. Disgusting. Also, the last thread didn't really hit the max. EvilMario just wanted to make a new OP.

I thought you were back? Or was that just to visit?

Yeah it's like cloudy and 18 right now.

Yeah for too long now I've been sick of knowing exactly which SkyTrain station someone is talking about.

I bet for confusion's sake they rename Gateway "GM Place".

Dreaver

Went to Vancouver a few weeks ago. AWESOME CITY!!
Just walked a lot in the city itself. Biked around the seawall (and Stanley Park, which is awesome). Granville Island which the huge bridges above is pretty neat as well.

Also climbed Grouse Mountain which was pretty nice (and a big climb).

I'm glad it's gone. Not because we're be better off, but fuck those commercials they made trying to support it.

The whole implementation of it was a completely shit show. Their salvage operations were even worse.

What the fuck did they think was going to happen when they commission a number of commercials that literally had a bunch of random ass actors saying "The HST is good for me. The HST is good for BC."

At least EXPLAIN why it's good instead of filling 30 seconds of airtime with that meaningless bullshit.

Firestorm

Since I've been out of province for this whole show I'm not sure what the commercials were like (then again I don't watch broadcast TV so aside from the playoffs I wouldn't have seen them). The negative aspects of this for me are:

- We are now $3 billion more in the hole
- Our PST+GST remains at 5%+7%=12% instead of HST at 10% which I wanted mostly for the self-centred reason of knowing how much stuff would cost easier

Firestorm said:
Since I've been out of province for this whole show I'm not sure what the commercials were like (then again I don't watch broadcast TV so aside from the playoffs I wouldn't have seen them). The negative aspects of this for me are:

- Our PST+GST remains at 5%+7%=12% instead of HST at 10% which I wanted mostly for the self-centred reason of knowing how much stuff would cost easier

I believe someone mentioned that all that federal money didn't reach us yet and we only owe them something around $600 million.

Don't quote me on it though.

Firestorm

SpectreFire said:
I believe someone mentioned that all that federal money didn't reach us yet and we only owe them something around $600 million.

Don't quote me on it though.
I'm getting 3 billion of CBC. 1.6 billion money that the federal government would want back and the rest being lost revenue / administration I guess. Even if we didn't get the money from the government, the projected deficit still gets larger by the same amount as it's money we thought we'd have that we won't.

I honestly think there was FAR too much misinformation on the issues going into this. I really agree with my friend saying we should have had a by-election on the lying scumbag hypocritical Liberal MLAs rather than the actual tax.

A lot of people are saying that those who voted No to the HST were voting out of emotions, but you know what? Can you blame them.

The Liberals have dragged this province screaming and kicking through the mud for so many years now. At some point, we were going to crack and do something crazy. This was just our time.

Like I said before. They did an absolute MISERABLE job of defending the HST and explaining to people why it was a good thing. All they did was basically say "It's good because we say it's good". Was this a vote of rage? You know what? Probably. Was it justified? Maybe.

If the HST stayed, we might've won economically, but we would've lost politically. We would've basically just told every politician in the province that "hey, you can ruthlessly stomp all over us all you want, as long as your policies are reasonable, we'll accept it like a bitch." I think at the end of the day, the economic windfall we're going to get from this is recoverable. the political one had we voted to keep the HST would not have been.

Sometimes, you have to show someone that you're crazy enough to shoot yourself in the foot that you're serious about something.

Firestorm

I'd rather that everyone acted rationally and voted to keep the HST and overwhelmingly voted against the Liberals in the next election. Although the BC NDP really isn't a much better option.

I voted to keep the HST because it seemed like the clear-headed thing to do. The way it was brought in was a shit show and, fine, we took care of that problem by making it a verrrrrrry uncomfortable office for Gordon Campbell to sit it. I think we should have stopped there, considered further repercussions, and put down the torches and pitchforks instead of continuing to march.

Anyway, it's done. I'm not super happy with the outcome but I'm glad to have had a chance to vote.

Hey You

Firestorm said:

Yeah, in 2014.

Firestorm said:
I'd rather that everyone acted rationally and voted to keep the HST and overwhelmingly voted against the Liberals in the next election. Although the BC NDP really isn't a much better option.

Yeah, why not wait until 2013? They had their chance when Christy Clark had her byelection.

BC Conservatives 2013!

beat

If the HST was such a great idea, why'd they have to install it like they were vandals in the middle of the night?

I didn't really buy the economic arguments in favour of the HST, not when even the papers supporting it kept revising their estimates of its benefits downwards. But I didn't vote against the HST because of that, I voted against it because the way it was brought in was an insult to democracy.

And as for that $1.6 billion fed bribe, BC is better off finding some genuine budget fix rather than going for yet another one-time fix. The Libs sold BC Rail for a one time budget fix, then they brought in the HST more for the $1.6 billion from the feds than anything else. Fuck them and their pawn-off-the-province ways.

Seoman

Neo Member
Hey Vancouver GAF!

Thought that I'd give you a small update on my status :

Plane ticket bought for september 18.
Didn't land a job yet (tho it'll be much easier when I actually get there.
Got myself a cellphone with Virgin (Bell) and a 604 phone number, it's getting real! :)

That's about it right now! Going to see you in 19 days! :D

Seoman

Seoman said:
Hey Vancouver GAF!

Thought that I'd give you a small update on my status :

Plane ticket bought for september 18.
Didn't land a job yet (tho it'll be much easier when I actually get there.
Got myself a cellphone with Virgin (Bell) and a 604 phone number, it's getting real! :)

That's about it right now! Going to see you in 19 days! :D

Seoman
You poor son of a bitch.

Roto13

I had a phone with Bell a few years ago and they were so damn awful I cancelled it after a few months. There were so many problems and so many people who didn't know what the fuck was going on. I blame the guy who sold me the contract for being super helpful and nice. Made me think I might actually be able to expect decent customer service.

I got a Virgin phone later and it was pretty sweet, and then they got bought by Bell and it went to hell for a while when they were transferring everything over. I haven't had any problems with them since then, though. Knock on wood.

Firestorm

Going back to Telus from Bell is going to be one of the greatest things about my move back home. Never in my life have I been so frustrated dealing with customer service.

Firestorm

Apparently some Gears of War 3 launch party on Main and Waterfront Road this Saturday from 6PM to Midnight? Anyone going to that?

Hi Vancouver-GAF, shameless plug incoming...

I'll be at the Anza Club (8th and Ontario) on Saturday night (Oct.15th) from 9-2 spinning funk vinyl.
Free party, and the last time we threw one it was a great time. Cheap drinks, lotta fine ladies. Very fun, non-douchey atmosphere.

There will be lights, lazers, and a dancing robot called Funkbot. Not kidding.

Come on down if you're lookin' for a fun night.

Firestorm

Akim said:
"How much: Tickets for the evening are $20/person and include all you can eat poutine: "
q7AZ9.gif

Hey You

This country >_<

Hope everyone voted today!

This is the first time I could have voted in a municipal election. I didn't because I wasn't paying much attention to who was running and the candidates. I wanted to vote on whether we should build a new eco depot, oh well.

Archer

Gregor sucks balls. The bike lanes are a focking joke that nobody uses, the riots should've been enough for him to get his ass kicked, and if he's concerned about local jobs, why did he move his business, Happy Planet, away from Vancouver? (Sure, it's still in the lower mainland, but ain't the same.)

He's a pussy.

Firestorm

I actually know quite a few people who use the bike lanes. Also the very article you linked to:

He said Robertson, who co-founded the company in 1994, is a shareholder, &#8220;but he&#8217;s not involved.&#8221;

Vision Vancouver campaign communications director Marcella Munro said Robertson &#8220;has absolutely zero operational, administrative or any kind of decision-making power, authority or role&#8221; in terms of his relationship with Happy Planet and Earth&#8217;s Own.

As far as local jobs and economy go, Vancouver and Burnaby are the same to me anyway.

Gregor sucks balls. The bike lanes are a focking joke that nobody uses, the riots should've been enough for him to get his ass kicked, and if he's concerned about local jobs, why did he move his business, Happy Planet, away from Vancouver? (Sure, it's still in the lower mainland, but ain't the same.)

He's a pussy.

I use the bike lanes everyday to get to work.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Do any Vancouverites know of some particularly reputable sites for apartment listings, or am I better off with Craigslist? I'm trying to help a friend find a new place by March since his roommate just randomly decided to get her own place without giving him much notice.

Do any Vancouverites know of some particularly reputable sites for apartment listings, or am I better off with Craigslist? I'm trying to help a friend find a new place by March since his roommate just randomly decided to get her own place without giving him much notice.

Usual scams plus racists on the Vancouver list.

Sorry, I haven't rented recently, but just FYI.

Firestorm

http://padmapper.com > Craigslist (pulls from craigslist, facebook, and kijiji and maps it to google maps).

Also, I know any conglomerate probably has a bad rep in Vancouver but I did fine with Hollyburn for years. Building management does wonders when you live in the West End... (at least, in the buildings not scheduled for Condo replacement)

Top Bottom