• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety - MS to Launch First Original Shows on XB1 in Early 2014

http://variety.com/2013/digital/new...ginal-shows-on-xbox-in-early-2014-1200953110/

Variety interviewed Nancy Tellem who is leading the TV push for XB1

“We’re hoping we will be able to put something up in the first quarter, at minimum second quarter,” said Tellem, president of entertainment and digital for Microsoft, at Variety’s Dealmakers Breakfast at the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. The shows will be available on the Xbox 360 and Xbox One through Xbox Live.

“I’m incredibly ambitious and impatient,” said Tellem, who took the job to produce original content for the Xbox platform in 2012. Because of that, the time it’s taken to develop the first slate of series, including a high-profile project based around “Halo,” with Steven Spielberg producing, has been “slower,” but “reflecting on what we’ve done and what lies ahead, it’s been pretty good.”

With 48 million Xbox Live subscribers on more than 72 million Xbox consoles around the world, Tellem has a large base of viewers to put her first shows in front of.

The hard part for her has been to explain to Hollywood just where Xbox fits into the new world of digital platforms.

“We aren’t Netflix, we aren’t Amazon, we’re a different animal,” she said. “We’re neither or we’re a little like them. It all depends. The lack of black and white and this is the template and this is what we’re following is very difficult. As we continue to do deals everyone’s going to get more comfortable.”

“Depending on the piece of content, the deals change,” Tellem adds. “We’re talking about exclusives, exclusive first windows, exclusive second windows. We play a lot with windows and co-production arrangements” and “whether we feel these are ideas are franchise building or we can own completely.”

And when it comes to original programming, “we’re trying to focus on whether it’s only on Xbox or best on Xbox,” Tellem said, referring to exclusive series or interactive features added to NFL broadcasts, for example.

More at link

Honestly not that interesting of an interview aside from the general promise of TV shows starting Q1 or Q2 next year and the fact you can watch them through an X360 as well

Don't know if there's any other takeaways

Lock if old

They should make some kind of crazy interactive version of 1 vs 100, that was a tv show at one point.

I think people would like that.

Nokterian

Like every gamer is waiting for this...ehm well not me. They tried it with almost the same thing with Call of Duty and it never lifted off at all. No matter how mutch money they throw at it i think it's not gonna work.

Guevara

I just don't see it. 48 million subs sound impressive until you realize that includes gold and silver and and I need a dummy silver account just so I can play IRL coop and save progress in some games. The real number has to be 1/2 or less.

I guess my point is: I expect exactly 0 worthwhile new, exclusive franchises. The audience just isn't big enough to support making media. Netflix, at 30M, barely is.

Between Amazon Prime, Netflix and all the also-rans, I expect the future of streaming video to be a fragmented mess of exclusive and timed windows. If you want to watch three shows, you need three subscriptions, etc. It will be worse than cable.

Griss

Your audience is interested in your box because of interactivity.

CoD and Halo fans aren't going to turn the XBox on to watch mediocre original TV programming about dudes shooting dudes when they could actually BE the dudes shooting dudes, dude.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
They should make some kind of crazy interactive version of 1 vs 100, that was a tv show at one point.

I think people would like that.
Ummmm...
I freaking LOVED that show/gamr. That was back in the golden age (for me) right between Avatars and Kinect. I will remember those times getting eliminated at the same time as my friends because we were trying to figure out the answers together. Games like that on XBL were everything Home on PSN should have been.

Please for the love of god at least be a decent show. The Tester was had that mesmerizing quality to it but that might be because it was bad enough to be good. And if the shows actually are good. Good job MS, I'll look forward to marathoning them.

jono95

was there a rumour at some point of microsoft possibly bringing 'heroes' back or did i dream that?
were there any further developments? (if i didn't actually dream it haha)

ymmv

Banned
With 48 million Xbox Live subscribers on more than 72 million Xbox consoles around the world, Tellem has a large base of viewers to put her first shows in front of.

You need XBL Gold to watch tv shows, so the total viewership will be substantially less than 48 million households. Yet another reporter falling for MS's PR shenanigans.

BTW I'm amazed there was actually an interview considering how incredible vague Tellem was. Not one definite answer, not even when the first show would be put on the service.

Top Bottom