• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

Famassu

Anyone know of any good Vegetarian or Vegan diets for working out? Can be either one..
Just have a varied diet of everything the plant kingdom has to offer and adjust portions a bit based on how intense/lengthy your work out sessions are. Carbs are important for energy. Beans, peas, tofu, nuts, whole grain stuff & lentils have plenty enough protein & other macro & micronutrients. Add some fruit & veggies to that and there's really very little to no need for supplements, other than possibly Vitamin B12 & Omega 3.

MrT

Anyone have any good seitan recipes that manage to mask the taste of the raw gluten? I love the stuff and make it regularly, but I can't get my SO to eat it with the recipes I use now, as she has trouble with the gluten flavor. But the store bought stuff doesn't usually havr that flavor, so I know it can be reduced.

Here's my favourite seitan recipes so far (been making quite a lot recently):
"Chicken" style
"Doner kebab" style
Sausages
BBQ Seitan Ribz

Pinkuss

Here's my favourite seitan recipes so far (been making quite a lot recently):
"Chicken" style
"Doner kebab" style
Sausages
BBQ Seitan Ribz

Been using that chicken one for a while, so easy (I've made it shitfaced after the pub before too). I use it as a base for others styles of seitan also (Just one thing I don't think cumin works as it overpowered my seitan and a few people agree with me).

Will have a look at the others and give them a go, saved loads since I got into making seitan!

MrT

Been using that chicken one for a while, so easy (I've made it shitfaced after the pub before too). I use it as a base for others styles of seitan also (Just one thing I don't think cumin works as it overpowered my seitan and a few people agree with me).

Will have a look at the others and give them a go, saved loads since I got into making seitan!

Yeah love how easy some of them are to make! The chicken one is actually the most recent one I've made. I actually misread the recipe where it says 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of salt as teaspoon, and put a teaspoon in and thought it was maybe a little bit too salty, but thought the cumin was ok. I quite like strong flavours and spicy food tho so could just be me :)

Alienfan

Anyone in New Zealand tried Sunfed meats yet? The hype is unreal, it's supposed to be indistinguishable from real chicken, but they don't stock in the south island yet :(

Soul_Pie

Anyone in New Zealand tried Sunfed meats yet? The hype is unreal, it's supposed to be indistinguishable from real chicken, but they don't stock in the south island yet :(

I remember seeing a video about this stuff, had people who were eating it fooled.

Hopefully it's good and they'll bring it to Australia as well.

Hypron

Yeah, I got some a couple weeks so. It's really good. It's closer to the taste of meat than any other product I've tried (having said that, I haven't eaten meat in a while; you'd need to ask an omnivore for a perfect comparison haha).

I'm not good at cooking so I just fried it in a pan with some oil and it tasted great.

It is rather expensive though, a 300g pack costs $12. I'm still a student so it's not something I'll eat everyday.

Any of you watch SweetPotatoSoul on youtube? I'm liking her videos. And now that I can somewhat eat lentils I can try more of her recipes.

Famassu

First three day pop up restaurant period done. It went pretty good. Had some mishaps (my stick blender broke 5 minutes before opening on the first day just when I was starting to make the three different mayos for my hamburgers, forgot some stuff and almost screwed up a batch of seitan), but all in all it went pretty good.

My cousin who acted as a waitress got lots of praise for my foods and at least no one seemed to dislike or even lukewarm towards my stuff when they commented them. I personally wasn't perfectly happy with many things but since people seemed to enjoy everything, maybe I'm just being a bit overly critical of myself.

ShyMel

Any of you watch SweetPotatoSoul on youtube? I'm liking her videos. And now that I can somewhat eat lentils I can try more of her recipes.

I watched her lunch box video she uploaded recently and plan on trying out her veggie burger recipe because they looked yummy.

First three day pop up restaurant period done. It went pretty good. Had some mishaps (my stick blender broke 5 minutes before opening on the first day just when I was starting to make the three different mayos for my hamburgers, forgot some stuff and almost screwed up a batch of seitan), but all in all it went pretty good.

My cousin who acted as a waitress got lots of praise for my foods and at least no one seemed to dislike or even lukewarm towards my stuff when they commented them. I personally wasn't perfectly happy with many things but since people seemed to enjoy everything, maybe I'm just being a bit overly critical of myself.

Congrats Famassu, sounds like a success.

derFeef

Awesome, congrats and good luck!

Awesome. :D

Amy's makes a very tasty bean and veggie burrito. I need to find what's in it specifically and make it myself. The spices are key clearly. I need to buy more spices.

Lirlond

If you're buying spices head to your local asian supermarket and get them in bulk, any less than 500g and you're paying too much for not enough spices.

Also double whatever a recipe tells you.

Famassu

Had the second three day period of my pop up thing. It went better than the first, behind the scenes. I was better prepared (did bigger batches of falafel dough, mayos & stuff the day before it started) and mostly stuff went more smoothly. Mostly had to bake the buns, make a batch of seitan and the dessert each day in the morning.

Also had gluten free alternatives this time. Taco tubs with chili-tomatosauce & veggies and this meat substitute called Härkis (made from broad beans) and one day also had gluten free hamburgers with falafel & soy steaks. Only sold, like, 4 gluten-free hamburgers. I was really stressed about the gluten-free stuff because I knew one was going to be sold for someone who is hyper sensitive to gluten. Like, "has had to spend time in the hospital after eating something with gluten" bad. So had to be at the top of my game to not have any traces of it in anything that went to the hamburgers, since even touching it causes a reaction for her.

One mistake was to do mushroom pie as the "dessert" one day. Almost no one wanted it even though it was really good. So no salty treats for people who already eat hamburgers (+ french fries), lol. Oh well, we sold the rest of it for 10€ for a group of musicians at the end of the day (they were gonna perform at the place I had the pop up at) so I made a little bit of money out of it in the end.

One person complained that I had left out cucumber salad (pretty sure I hadn't, I think I might've just put too little of it) and I mixed the mayos in one order of two hamburers. Luckily the latter happened with my cousin and her daughter so not to a totally random customer. No other bigger mishaps, I don't think.

Anyhoo, people seemingly continued enjoying my stuff (a couple of elderly women even used the world heavenly, lol) so I think this is a good point to continue from, whatever I decide to do in the future.

Had the second three day period of my pop up thing. It went better than the first, behind the scenes. I was better prepared (did bigger batches of falafel dough, mayos & stuff the day before it started) and mostly stuff went more smoothly. Mostly had to bake the buns, make a batch of seitan and the dessert each day in the morning.

Also had gluten free alternatives this time. Taco tubs with chili-tomatosauce & veggies and this meat substitute called Härkis (made from broad beans) and one day also had gluten free hamburgers with falafel & soy steaks. Only sold, like, 4 gluten-free hamburgers. I was really stressed about the gluten-free stuff because I knew one was going to be sold for someone who is hyper sensitive to gluten. Like, "has had to spend time in the hospital after eating something with gluten" bad. So had to be at the top of my game to not have any traces of it in anything that went to the hamburgers, since even touching it causes a reaction for her.

One mistake was to do mushroom pie as the "dessert" one day. Almost no one wanted it even though it was really good. So no salty treats for people who already eat hamburgers (+ french fries), lol. Oh well, we sold the rest of it for 10€ for a group of musicians at the end of the day (they were gonna perform at the place I had the pop up at) so I made a little bit of money out of it in the end.

One person complained that I had left out cucumber salad (pretty sure I hadn't, I think I might've just put too little of it) and I mixed the mayos in one order of two hamburers. Luckily the latter happened with my cousin and her daughter so not to a totally random customer. No other bigger mishaps, I don't think.

Anyhoo, people seemingly continued enjoying my stuff (a couple of elderly women even used the world heavenly, lol) so I think this is a good point to continue from, whatever I decide to do in the future.
That's so great, I hope you do a popup in LA some time soon. ;)

I made these vegan burgers yesterday, where pretty tasty if I do say so myself. :p
https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-grillable-veggie-burgers/

Just tried Beyond Meat ChicN Strips.

Not bad, but it has the same sort of taste as their beef crumbles which makes me think that's just the innate taste of pea protein isolate.

Also holy shit, even random pasta sauces (tomato based) will have milk or beef flavoring thrown in. Its annoying having to read labels so carefully.

Famassu

Not bad, but it has the same sort of taste as their beef crumbles which makes me think that's just the innate taste of pea protein isolate.

Also holy shit, even random pasta sauces (tomato based) will have milk or beef flavoring thrown in. Its annoying having to read labels so carefully.
Yeah, that's really annoying. Doubly so when it's some preservatives/other Es that can either be animal based or plant based so you must find it out somewhere.

Bonus fun with juices that can have gelatin used to clearing/filtering (?) the juice, but because none of it stays in the product, by law they don't have to even be mentioned in the labels!

ShyMel

Also holy shit, even random pasta sauces (tomato based) will have milk or beef flavoring thrown in. It's annoying having to read labels so carefully.

Yes, I always make sure to check sauces, especially dressings that do not specifically say vegan on the bottle.

Famassu

These seem to finally be available in Finland:

22045882_1591584514234109_6735863359898133197_n.jpg

One more mozzarella type cheese (there already was at least 1 or 2), the halloumi type thing that was announced in Spring this year, and a couple of others (that cranberry thing sounds weird... :S )

derFeef

We tried to make mozzarella with that cashew + psyllium husk recipe. It did not work out that well :p It was still a bit too squashy and we also made too much. Now the desire to try again is a little low ;)

Famassu

Yeeah, have still to manage to succeed in making my own cheeses. I try, like, every 6-9 months, fail and don't have the will to try again too soon afterwards, like you. :D I do have the Non-Dairy Evolution book that I bought the last time I failed, hoping its recipes would lead me to success, but I've been too poor to import some of the ingredients that aren't sold in Finland anywhere (mainly, carrageenan kappa and lactic acid). The pop-up thing brought me quite a bit of €€€ so I might be able to order them now. It's been awhile since I last tried to maybe it's time, lol.

Futureman

umami impossible burgers are real good. like god damn that was tatsy.

this burger place in my area, Burgatory, is going to have these starting Monday. I'm interested in trying it out.

Some lady on FB was like, "How on earth is this supposed to be healthy? Processed wheat between a processed wheat bun!"

I had to respond that just because something is vegan or vegetarian doesn't necessarily imply that it's healthy. Non-meat eaters like to indulge and have a treat every now and then as well.

this burger place in my area, Burgatory, is going to have these starting Monday. I'm interested in trying it out.

Some lady on FB was like, "How on earth is this supposed to be healthy? Processed wheat between a processed wheat bun!"

I had to respond that just because something is vegan or vegetarian doesn't necessarily imply that it's healthy. Non-meat eaters like to indulge and have a treat every now and then as well.

Were you like HAVE BURGERS EVER BEEN HEALTHY!!!?

I did say that beef burgers aren't particularly healthy anyways. This was a magazine posting on FB that I do freelance photography for so I was trying to be as diplomatic as possible ha.

i feel you. i wish most vegans ate healthier but not everyone loves to cook or likes to cook healthy. i have been bad lately about eating completely plant based and healthy. Too much shit going on. The fall will be nice to consolidate and get back on track.

Famassu

Hmmm, might have found a space for my vegan restaurant. It will probably need some air conditioning job done but it's a single floor building so it might not be a horribly expensive ordeal to put a hole in the roof and stick some pipes out of the kitchen. :p It might become a kind of band rehersal + gigs/art-exhibition/restaurant combo thing so my portion of the rent might only be about 500-600€, which is pretty decent.

Currently the only downside is the fact that it doesn't have much in the way of air conditioning currently + it's about 1,8km from the town center, so I'm not sure how much it would have in the way of foot traffic.

Lirlond

Hmmm, might have found a space for my vegan restaurant. It will probably need some air conditioning job done but it's a single floor building so it might not be a horribly expensive ordeal to put a hole in the roof and stick some pipes out of the kitchen. :p It might become a kind of band rehersal + gigs/art-exhibition/restaurant combo thing so my portion of the rent might only be about 500-600€, which is pretty decent.

Currently the only downside is the fact that it doesn't have much in the way of air conditioning currently + it's about 1,8km from the town center, so I'm not sure how much it would have in the way of foot traffic.

One of the most successful vegan restaurants in Glasgow is a gig space hidden down an alleyway down a basement. Word of mouth will trump foot traffic. Especially if the music scene kicks off.

Peltz

I've been 100% plant based for the past 2-3 weeks now GAF. It's not that hard, honestly. I eat a ton of beans now. I take some b12 too. Soon, I've got to learn to cook good dishes. It's been mostly veggie burgers at night.

I definitely feel healthier by the way.
My poop has been amazing.

Famassu

I've been 100% plant based for the past 2-3 weeks now GAF. It's not that hard, honestly. I eat a ton of beans now. I take some b12 too. Soon, I've got to learn to cook good dishes. It's been mostly veggie burgers at night.

I definitely feel healthier by the way.
My poop has been amazing.
I have to say that don't always trust your own "I feel better" type feelings when it comes to things like how you perceive your health, especially in the short term after diet changes like this. Of course if you've eaten like shit as a meat/dairy-eating person and veganism pushes you to eat more veggies, that can easily be the case. But the thing is, placebo is a hell of a drug, so you can perceive being "more healthy" even if in the long term you might be missing something essential (and since a lot of health benefits are more of a long-term thing rather than short-term, that can be bad). If you plan to become vegan for good, you should occasionally do check-ups at the doctors to see that you are for sure getting enough of everything.

This applies to anyone making big, long-term changes to their diets (not just veganism), especially if it's about leaving some "essential" stuff out of your diet like meat & dairy that have some essential stuff you need to make certain you are proficiently replacing in your diet with something else that isn't necessarily already a part of your regular eating habits (of course if you are just adding more variety, more veggies & other plant products, and for sure adding all kinds of other necessary stuff into your diet, then you are probably going to a better direction and don't need to worry too much)..

I mean, veganism is possibly the most healthy alternative when done right (there's a long term study where vegans were, on average, the healthiest bunch of people, who on average lived the longest, were generally at best health and had the least of all kinds of cancers, heart diseases & other kinds of shit). Still, it's easy to omit some stuff from your diet that you should be getting, which can have effects in the long term even if in the short term you are feeling better.

Peltz

I have to say that don't always trust your own "I feel better" type feelings when it comes to things like how you perceive your health, especially in the short term after diet changes like this. Of course if you've eaten like shit as a meat/dairy-eating person and veganism pushes you to eat more veggies, that can easily be the case. But the thing is, placebo is a hell of a drug, so you can perceive being "more healthy" even if in the long term you might be missing something essential (and since a lot of health benefits are more of a long-term thing rather than short-term, that can be bad). If you plan to become vegan for good, you should occasionally do check-ups at the doctors to see that you are for sure getting enough of everything.

This applies to anyone making big, long-term changes to their diets (not just veganism), especially if it's about leaving some "essential" stuff out of your diet like meat & dairy that have some essential stuff you need to make certain you are proficiently replacing in your diet with something else that isn't necessarily already a part of your regular eating habits (of course if you are just adding more variety, more veggies & other plant products, and for sure adding all kinds of other necessary stuff into your diet, then you are probably going to a better direction and don't need to worry too much)..

I mean, veganism is possibly the most healthy alternative when done right (there's a long term study where vegans were, on average, the healthiest bunch of people, who on average lived the longest, were generally at best health and had the least of all kinds of cancers, heart diseases & other kinds of shit). Still, it's easy to omit some stuff from your diet that you should be getting, which can have effects in the long term even if in the short term you are feeling better.
Solid advice. I will get a check up in a month to be sure. I was already super strict when I ate meat and had gone without dairy for years now.

Basically, I just cut out my chicken, steak and fish and replaced it with beans, a wider variety of fruits and veggies, and veggie burgers. Plus vitamin supplements.

But you're right, feelings can betray us when it comes to health. I'll see a doctor soon.

Famassu

Solid advice. I will get a check up in a month to be sure. I was already super strict when I ate meat and had gone without dairy for years now.

Basically, I just cut out my chicken, steak and fish and replaced it with beans, a wider variety of fruits and veggies, and veggie burgers. Plus vitamin supplements.

But you're right, feelings can betray us when it comes to health. I'll see a doctor soon.
Yeah, you are probably ok.

In other news, apparently Tampere, Finland is the first place in the world where McDonalds is testing out McVegan. If I got it right, it's a hamburger with some kind of soy-based steak and some salad, ketchup and mayo/dressing. Looked/sounded kind of barebones but I guess that's progress....

Soul_Pie

Yeah, you are probably ok.

In other news, apparently Tampere, Finland is the first place in the world where McDonalds is testing out McVegan. If I got it right, it's a hamburger with some kind of soy-based steak and some salad, ketchup and mayo/dressing. Looked/sounded kind of barebones but I guess that's progress....

As long as it tastes okay I'm fine with that, it's a good start.

Hopefully it starts rolling out in other countries as well.

Tyeforce

My husband and I have been vegetarians for about a decade or so now, but we may be going more vegan now as we’re trying to get rid of dairy in our diet, since dairy seems to be affecting my husband worse and worse. Giving up meat is super easy, but going dairy-free seems to be substantially harder! But it seems like it’s getting easier and easier as more vegan substitutes becomes available and all.

One thing that kinda irks me is how the whole “organic/non-GMO” trend seems to go hand-in-hand with vegan/vegetarianism in general. Restaurants, groceries, recipes... Pretty much anything targeted at vegans/vegetarians also pushes the anti-“GMO” rhetoric, and the inflated prices of “organic” products comes along with it. I wish vegans/vegetarians weren’t automatically assumed to be in that same group.

Top Bottom