• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity (PS3/PSP/Vita) - This game is awesome, I'll tell you why

Just want to say this is one of those things Sony needs to fix if they want Vita to be taken seriously. I want to buy the shit out of this game but I can't because someone borrowed my PS3. I don't care if they're targeting PS3 users when it comes to selling Vitas, but they need to make it convenient to purchase the content they want to sell. Being required to access the big brother just to purchase a game that's perfectly playable on Vita is annoying as shit.

I want to play this game but someone stole mine. =/ It's ok... I got a replacement coming this week...

All I need are the images that you want avatarized and the image dimensions, I could easily whip up some cool stuff. :/ I get that as a company you can't outsource things all the time but do keep in mind that there are helping hands ready to volunteer. :)

VanWinkle

James, I think if you're able to eventually get to it (let's hope so), a PS3/Vita PSN title would be the ultimate medium for a game like Velocity. Having all the insane amount of extra features (network connectivity, demos, trophies, higher-res and more detailed graphics, not being bound by a small file size, etc.) would be amazing for this game.

Plus, with Vita, you could do something like tapping on the screen where you want to transport! :eek:

recurv

Neo Member
Just to thank to Corporate Cheerleader for raising attention to this game. It's just a blast to play this on my Vita! Will check coconut dodge for sure, and every future games from FuturLab will jump to my radar automatically from now on.

Yay! Three cheers for the cheerleader! :p

recurv

Neo Member
James, I think if you're able to eventually get to it (let's hope so), a PS3/Vita PSN title would be the ultimate medium for a game like Velocity. Having all the insane amount of extra features (network connectivity, demos, trophies, higher-res and more detailed graphics, not being bound by a small file size, etc.) would be amazing for this game.

Plus, with Vita, you could do something like tapping on the screen where you want to transport! :eek:

I know, it's exciting to think what we could do on Vita. I love the machine, and it's pretty clear we're not alone in thinking Velocity would be perfect for it - and the kind of game Vita needs. Plus we've got LOADZ of ideas for it :D

Carl

I know, it's exciting to think what we could do on Vita. I love the machine, and it's pretty clear we're not alone in thinking Velocity would be perfect for it - and the kind of game Vita needs. Plus we've got LOADZ of ideas for it :D

You should try a Kickstarter or something :p

gnarlycrow

Neo Member
Signed up for 3 months of PS+ because of the hype and it was almost worth it for this game alone (Trine 2 and Hard Corps don't hurt either). Loving the oldschool vibe joined with innovative new mechanics and awesome music.

Here's something interesting for you all: this is how Futurlab got started at Sony. Pretty interesting read!

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/05/06/futurlab-pitch-to-sony/

Snippet:

Suddenly I found myself in Relentless’ studio being given advice by their Creative Director, David Amor.

I can’t tell you how amazing it felt when David said:

“You’ve buried all the cool stuff at the bottom of your pitch…the cool stuff is the text messaging, and the emails, and the telephone calls – bring that stuff up front! Sony will love all that!”

They went against the odds and it worked out for them, a very nice story. :)

You could rerelease nearly the same game and give to option to touch where you want to teleport and I would rebuy.

That and trophies of course.

wouwie

This thread made me curious so i bought it for my Vita.

This is a great game! It has a very nice soundtrack and the gameplay is fun, addicitve and quite deep and complex. It takes some practise but it's worth it. It definately has that "one more time" feeling.

I truly hope you find the budget to make this into a full psn game. The core mechanics are great, the soundtrack is great. It would probably need a bit more work on the graphics side in order to get more attention.

If you if ever manage to do a Vita version, i'll be there with my money. Seems a perfect match for the system.

Carl

Spread the word, recommend it to friends you think will enjoy it :)

Increases chances of them being able to do a full PSN version of it.

Carl

Pretty disappointed that I missed out on getting this free on PS+ but I will buy this regardless. It looks amazing.

It's always nice to get things free, but it's well worth the (very small) price tag :) In cases like this, i prefer paying, as it helps out a cool indie

It's always nice to get things free, but it's well worth the (very small) price tag :) In cases like this, i prefer paying, as it helps out a cool indie

I almost feel a bit guilty for getting this with PS+ so I'll put Coconut Dodge into the cart next time I buy something else on PSN.

Started playing this on my Vita last night and I'm absolutely loving it. I played through the first 15 missions or so and I was incredibly impressed with how solid the gameplay and soundtrack are. It's also very impressive how the game keeps introducing new mechanics that are not only original but clever and fun. This game is a blast.

I have PS+ and for some reason didn't download this game when it was available for free. But I just got a Vita and purchased Velocity over the weekend thanks to this thread and I absolutely love the game. It's definitely worth the asking price and I don't regret missing the chance to get the game for free.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm hoping the success of Velocity opens a few eyes at PlayStation HQ and results in either:

A) Trophies & online connectivity for some Minis (or)
B) Better Mini support on the Vita

I honestly can see why there's tiers now in the PSN store with Minis being the bottom floor cost-wise and "standard" PSN games occupying the $10-20 space, but I think consumers wouldn't be confused if Plus games suddenly had a few bronze or silver trophies here and there.

sajj316

Excellent game. Came free for me with PS+ but transferred via PS3 (not on Vita-mini store). I hope they would do a SQL but give it the full HD/Vita treatment.

Carl

I'm hoping the success of Velocity opens a few eyes at PlayStation HQ and results in either:

A) Trophies & online connectivity for some Minis (or)
B) Better Mini support on the Vita

Yup, that would be wonderful. I don't know if i see it happening though. Also, SCEE has been quite supportive of Minis on Vita (Majority have worked since week or two after launch) - SCEA is dragging their heels (but then they've never been too keen on Minis, have they?)

Excellent game. Came free for me with PS+ but transferred via PS3 (not on Vita-mini store). I hope they would do a SQL but give it the full HD/Vita treatment.

James has said he'd love to, but they cost a lot. One way to increase chances - spread the trailer, recommend it to people you know :)

Ravage

Oh man i would really, really love to see that happen.

Carl

How long is the game? I am not somebody to go highscore hunting after I beat a level. 5€ seems pretty steep for a Mini.

Well there are 50 levels (and 20 bonus levels), so even just playing through them all is worth 5 Euro, surely?

Now that I've gotten further, I really like how it becomes a thinking game with all the different routes that you can take with the teleport pods; it brings a good amount of variety to the gameplay. There is one thing about the map system that could be improved, though. The secret trophy rooms don't have to be displayed on the map, let the players discover those themselves! ^_^;

Carl

It definitely gets better the more you play it, that's for sure.

Also, i like this comment on YouTube

Thank NeoGAF, if it wasn't for the thread there, I wouldn't even have known this game exists. Luckily I read the thread and bought it with the last money on my bank account. :D Don't regret it, such a great game.

Wahey!

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
It's a bit sad that I've been working the last year+ on a space shooter game of my own that uses teleporting as a means to navigate, solve puzzles and so forth. Won't matter now because when I announce I am sure everyone will believe it came from this game. Thankfully my game doesn't just rely on this mechanic to be fun but it's still a bit disheartening. Probably won't pick it up as I don't want to be influenced or start doubting my design choices.

Are any of you folks this good yet? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odqiZd9P_uI

J

I really appreciate that you programmed in the ability to drop bombs off screen. It seems like a small thing, but I am sure so many other games would have completely neglected that. While I am no where near that competent at the game, it is very satisfying to fluidly boost, bomb and teleport.

I hope you are able to get this out as a Vita/PSN release with some more maps (or a map editor?!). I honestly don't care about HD graphics but a touch mode (alternate with some added difficulty to make up for the presumed ease of touch teleporting) and leaderboards would be great.

Eagerly waiting to double dip.

recurv

Neo Member
It's a bit sad that I've been working the last year+ on a space shooter game of my own that uses teleporting as a means to navigate, solve puzzles and so forth. Won't matter now because when I announce I am sure everyone will believe it came from this game. Thankfully my game doesn't just rely on this mechanic to be fun but it's still a bit disheartening. Probably won't pick it up as I don't want to be influenced or start doubting my design choices.

Sucks when this happens. I've been on the other side of the fence in this scenario before, and a friend of mine spent over a year working on Got Cow? (a planetary physics flinging puzzler), only to be faced with Angry Birds Space just a few weeks away from the release of his game. Gutting and frustrating.

If there's any advice I can give, it's to play our game, and make sure your game is significantly different or significantly better.

That way you can piggy back on our success as a way to get yours seen, but that will only work if your game is one of the two options above.

The head in sand approach doesn't work, because if your game does turn out to be too similar, it'll be a waste of your time and effort that could be avoided right now.

Even being on another platform won't work as we'll likely chase as many platforms as we can with Velocity, making ours the 'real deal' and anything else too similar a 'copycat'.

There's no value in being second, but there is value in being different (or better).

recurv

Neo Member
I really appreciate that you programmed in the ability to drop bombs off screen.

This is made possible by the entire level persisting off-screen to enable Long Form Teleporting :)

A lot of these little details are a result of tuning the game's controls for well over a year. In retrospect we were lucky not to be working on Velocity full time with a fixed budget, because we'd have been restricted by schedule. As it happened, those two years alongside other projects allowed us to keep tweaking and tweaking until the controls felt perfect, and little details like bomb hits off screen were enabled :)

Thanks for noticing that, makes it all worth it!

Despite some high-profile releases, this is easily my most played game of the moment.

Mastering the levels and the game's mechanics is an utter joy. The teleportation mechanics in particular are just so much fun. I'm not nearly as good at flinging bombs as the player in the video posted above, but I have perfected a huge chunk of the levels now and I won't rest until I have them all.

And yes, the soundtrack is glorious.

Get it if you haven't already.

wouwie

I'm currently at around zone 20 and i'm having tons of fun with this game. The soundtrack is ace and the gameplay is clever. It's a surprising mix of puzzle and shoot-em up that seems to have been fine-tuned to perfection.

At times, you have to concentrate on so many things at the same time: shooting the nearby enemies while thinking about the teleporting destination while making sure you destroy the numbered points in the correct order while collecting the blue thingies while managing the speed of your ship,... It's crazy.

I wonder how the next zones will be like.

An truly awesome game.

Carl

Apologies for double post. But follow @Futurlab on twitter. They will be doing a Velocity code dump when they hit 900 followers.

A code dump is an excellent way to attract attention, start following them twitter gaffers! I'll update the OP with that information as well.

Wanted to bump this with a (probably) wip Velocity PSP wallpaper I made:

kniWx.png

It looks like this on my smudgy psp:

NW1aC.jpg

Top Bottom